PDA

View Full Version : Roadblock (V2 City Assault) G.I. Joe Modern ERA Review

Shogi
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
Roadblock V2 is a nice example of Hasbro's "modular design" on these figures. The figure itself is the same exact Roadblock we've already gotten, but with the addition of a removable vest and belt and some new paint, we have an all new figure. Roadblock looks just like his vintage second version figure. The vest doesn't really restrict his chest articulation either. Roadblock comes with a Bullet Belt, Machine Gun, Machine Gun Tripod and GI Joe Stand.

My only complaint here is that the "sleeves" of his t-shirt are just painted on his shoulders instead of having molded sleeves. If you don't have a Roadblock figure yet or if you just like this version, then it's well worth the buy.

Figure Rating: 7 out of 10

Nekoman
08-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Nice review, I pretty much agree. :)

I wasn’t the biggest fan of 25thA Roadblock, but this one always appealed to me. A very creative release on Hasbro’s part.

Outbackk
08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Nice review...after seeing the arms/shoulders on Sgt. Bazooka it makes me wish they could have done something like that for Marvin.

artiepants
08-26-2008, 01:31 PM
i was never crazy about Roadblock v.2 and this version really didn't do anything to sell me on him. a new head would have helped :)

hey, Shogi, you know what'd be a nice addition to your review photos? comparison shots with the OG figure where possible (obviously, assuming whomever is doing the pics has the OG). it's cool to see those side by side shots. in this case a comparison with the 25th v.1 Roadblock might have been interesting too.

Cheers!

Tomahawk
08-26-2008, 01:36 PM
i like this figure as a kid and still like him

Gung.Heaux
08-26-2008, 01:41 PM
crappy figure

XVoodooDollX
08-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I think that we can make Outback with this figure

Rock N Roll Head, Flint Legs, and there ya go

Mern-Ra
08-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I liked this figure when I was a kid and a big part of that was that the gun stand for the original was so low to the ground, so when they made this one so he could actually stand and shoot I was very excited. If they hadn't copped out and had given him a new stand that was like his old one I would have gotten this figure.

Bandalero
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I can't agree with the review.

The flak jacket detailing is poor, considering this is the 25th anniversary line one would think the sculpting would be a bit more detailed. You don't have to look very far for detailed flak jackets e.g. Beachhead and comic pack Firefly.

The cone-head in 1986 was terrible, the baby-face head in 2008 is also terrible. Marvin isn't some sissy, he's a big mean-looking badass black guy, they could have done another head sculpt! Roadblock's head circa 1992 is the best representation of the character.

The wide-grip left hand worked for his gigantic v1 gun, but is pretty useless for his v2 gun. All he can really do is tuck his thumb into his belt like a gunslinger...yay!

You already mentioned the painted sleeves.

Not the best modular example IMHO - 5/10

Zefram
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
He's okay, but what "City Assault Roadblock" really needs is some Alley Vipers to shoot at!

VIPER 48
08-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Good review...

Nekoman
08-26-2008, 04:50 PM
crappy figure

My, what a lengthy read.

Could you give us an idea as to why you hate this toy?

He's okay, but what "City Assault Roadblock" really needs is some Alley Vipers to shoot at!

Too true! We need Alley Vipers BAD.

Snow Job
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
I like this version better than the first one. Toned down machine gun and toned down tripod really makes a difference. Nice review, man. Thanks.

Lucs
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I actually liked the original Tripod better cuz you could pose him with it instead of needing to have him flat on his belly for the thing to make any sense, problem with that is he can look up enough to see what he's doing when on his belly.

The (left) open hand I thought was for hold the ammo belt. I have one end in the gun ( about the middle of the gun there's a small hole for it)and the other in his hand feeding it through

Sorry not a long time poster (TFW is my home) but I've always liked this version of Roadblock, he was the only one i had as a kid

mikect2000
08-26-2008, 08:18 PM
your reviews are really nice and fun to read.. You do a good and accurate job too. Thanks a lot.

Steel Brigade
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Still has the wide hand, but I prefer this version as he holds his gun better & reminds me of the '87 Movie.

luiggijoe
08-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice review, nice figure.

Tunnel Rat
08-26-2008, 10:28 PM
this wasnt one of my fav figures from the line, i thought it was kinda cheap lookin

Crimson Rage
08-27-2008, 05:38 AM
He won't replace the first version (which, thanks to the UK Action Force comic is the definitive Roadblock to me) in my world but it's still a good crack at representing ol' Marvin, and is way better in hand than a lot of pics suggest.
Fair review, although I think that at this scale, the sleeves to a thin tee-shirt would look 'painted on' so I can accept it.

Monkeywrench
08-27-2008, 07:55 AM
This is an okay figure. I never liked this one has a kid. I wish they would have given him a new head.

spacemonkeymafia
08-27-2008, 08:02 AM
My, what a lengthy read.

Could you give us an idea as to why you hate this toy?

Not meant for me to respond but Heres my reason..........painted sleeves suck........The best thing about this fig is the gun.......

MINISTER OF PROPAGANDA
08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I think that if hasbro wants to bust out the neon green paints then a sci-fi should be on the table. Untill then...5/10 :(

Demon_o'the_Deep
08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
When I heard that a v2 Roadblock was on the way, I was hoping they would throw in a Devolved Cobra Commander snake, but no such luck. Would have been a nice opportunity to swap out the old head & padded forearms too.