|08-27-2009, 09:04 AM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2008
Took the re-release of the RHINO to break down the last of my restraint. I always thought the R.O.C.C. was just shy of being a great Joe toy -- something about it seemed slightly off, like a slightly less detailed cop-out of classics like the Rolling Thunder or Mobile Command Center (both of which it clearly borrows from).
But the RHINO was so amazingly awesome, I figured I might have been too harsh, so I scoured ebay until I found one for a reasonable price.
I think the main problem I have with it is the glossy plastic they used for it which doesn't seem to hold sharp, crisp details. The outer panels, for example, don't seem nearly as "real" as those on the Mobat or the Conquest. The various vents and other details seem a bit "rounded" and smoother, and there's no paint to bring them out. It gives it a cheap feeling. I'd considered repainting it, maybe in army drab to match the APC, but I decided against it. Too much DOES look good to make it worth the trouble.
A few other small objections --
- The modular gun port station is a neat idea, but I hate the giant hole it leaves behind wherever you DON'T place it. I'd rather they'd have left that feature off if they couldn't give us something else to plug that gap.
- I don't like the look of the ports for the various guns this line sported. On the RHINO, I was willing to forgive, because it actually comes with enough to make it work -- but this one doesn't actually come with weapons, and so you just have these holes on the thing. Plus, the weapons that come with the RHINO don't look good in these ports, so it just doesn't work.
- I wish there was a way to hide the "third leg" at the back when in transport mode. It's needed when the thing is unfolded, but it looks funky and out of place otherwise.
- The color, grey, makes a lot of sense in some ways, as an industrial, technological warmachine. But unfortunately, combined with the general shape, it ends up being too RV-like, I think. It's the war winnebago. Army drab would be cool. Or in blue as a kind of portable Cobra HQ.... Or crimson.. . ok, I'm not starting THAT again...
- I wish the cab was fixed more tightly to the back. It's nearly impossible to pick up without the two separating.
- Very minor nitpick, but I can't help but think of the Rolling Thunder when this thing is fully extended, and I don't like the wonky physics of it. Where is this launch station supposed to be? Is it actually the case that the back of this winnebago does in fact open on a hinge? Or is that something we should suspend disbelief about, somehow this launch station is inside the ROCC, the way the Pitt interior isn't meant to reflect a telescoping, expanding RV. I'm probably not being clear.
I guess the question is "What does it look like to the toys?" The Rolling Thunder, presumably, looks to the Joes just like it does to us. The Mobile Command Center, on the other hand, always looks to "them" like it does in its closed state -- you only open it to have access to the interior. You "pretend" that it's closed. But what about this? Did it "really" just open, like the RT? Or is it "really" closed, like the MCC?
So those are my objections. They're all minor. This is a great toy.
I love the "escape hatch" - though, as per my last comment above, where are they escaping from?
I love the jet. I love the missiles at the front, and the way they fire in rapid sequence. I love the cockpit and the fact that it easily fits so many 25th figures. I love the central HQ station with rotating chairs. (though I wish some of them could rotate more, so they could all face the central command station)
I love the sheer SIZE. It's big enough to feel important, to feel like a major command station, but not quite as large as some of the biggest toys in the line, which makes it less of a headache to store.
I love how it looks when fully extended. It's really imposing stuff, just classic.
|08-27-2009, 09:29 AM||#2|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: houston tx
The launch platform as seen in sigma six is actually the roof of the roccs trailer open lifted to form the platform just watch sigma 6 first strike it will explain better than i can without a drawing,o and an idea for those who care i removed mant of the stickers from my rocc and replaced them with a few form my pitt made it look more real.
|08-27-2009, 09:35 AM||#3|
I love ROSS!!!
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern Cali
Overall it is a great toy/playset, but I agree with you on the lame modular gun that leaves a hole at the top, depending on where you place it. Better than the RoC PITT though, IMO.
HTS.com's epic failures survivor:
- Slaughtergate 2010
- Zaranagate/StarStrikergate 2011
ROSS - GI Joe retailer of 2010/2011!!! **** - 4 stars!!!
For sale: GI Joe Modern Era Dialtone (from JoeCon) MOSC - PM if you are interested.
My Feedback Thread
|08-27-2009, 09:46 AM||#4|
Banned by request.
Join Date: Dec 2008
I bought one a few days ago, waiting on it to arrive. I got it for my ARAH figures since that is what I mostly collect. I have to agree about the color and the glossy look. Other than that, I've read a bunch of good reviews so I'm looking for ward to getting mine.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|What I Picked Up Today !||Gas.Man||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||17||06-27-2009 02:19 AM|
|M.A.R.S. 3 pack I just picked up||Duffmann||G.I. Joe Live Action Movie||12||04-26-2009 07:32 PM|
|Just picked these up today:||Lody||G.I. Joe General Discussion||4||11-30-2008 05:40 PM|
|If I have'nt picked up these...||cliff secord||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||29||11-08-2008 11:36 PM|
|Anyone wanting a Joe Con Set picked up?||chuckles32||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||4||05-30-2008 11:03 AM|
|The 462nd Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Marauder Task Force Valkyries Discussion|
|Boss Fight Studio Greek Mythology Action Figure Line|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|Ballistic a.k.a. urban assault Repeater custom by CRS|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Just bought a 37 MOC lot!!|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Virginia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Personal Grail Piece!|
|IDW Revolution Discussion...|
|Eagle Force returns|
|Gi joe transformers crossover|
|Captain Malcolm Reynolds by Vanishing Point|
|Throwdown - 1991 Snake Eyes by Vanishing Point|
|Quick an easy Major Bludd.|
|IDW January 2017 G. I. Joe Solicitations|
|California (Southern, SoCal) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Custom Cover Girl|
|Switch Gears by francis2064|
|Who is the Best ME BAT?|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Georgia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Cobra troops serial numbers|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Dime Novel Legends Kickstarter!|
|Legion XIV 1:18 Project: Suits|
|Power Team Elite And True Heroes Discussion Thread|
|Star Wars 3 3/4 discussion thread|
|2016 Toy Hauls|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|The deadpool !!! --- sdcc|
|Gijoe custom spirit airborne|
|Marauder IDS stands x 40 (cheap) + Star Wars Black...|
|Toys for sale(some SDCC/Con exclusives)|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|Dealer Destro's B/S/T|
|Luc20100's Selling 25th 30th ROC RENEGADES POC...|
|devildawgs B/S/T list|