TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe Toys > G.I. Joe Toys Vintage Discussion
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

Best Vintage O-Ring Figure Stands

Reply Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cobra Dog Sled Commander

Best Vintage O-Ring Figure Stands

Hey gang,

Since you guys were very helpful regarding o-ring replacements, I am looking for your advice on another vintage o-ring figure related matter:

When displaying your vintage o-ring collection, what kind of figure stand do you prefer to use? Do you prefer the classic stands, sticky tack, or have another unorthodox, but effective method?

I am looking for a fail safe way to display my vintage figs without having to worry about any broken heels (due to old and brittle plastic) or discoloured feet.

LMK your thoughts and/or experiences.

Thanks in advance!
——.—..__.···.·..-.-.——..—.——.

~The Snow Wolf name was chosen due to the known tenacity of arctic wolves to survive (and thrive) in extremely harsh conditions; which is expected of all Snow Serpents and Officers~

Last edited by Snow Wolf; 11-27-2012 at 12:42 PM..
Snow Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Retired Viper

This site sells the original stand for the figures: G.I. Joe Stand (Original) [SUP-GIS] - $0.50 : Bounty Hunter Toys : More fun than a poke in the eye! (Since 1995)

ArcticCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dreadnok

I have some from Smalljoes, and some really old ones from Cotswolds, before the internet really took off.
The Cotswolds ones seem to be resin, they are very hard and have no give or flex to them and the pegs are kinda big, I only use them on 90's figures. These look like the original stands, but the peg is a smidge too big for my liking, and has asploded the heels on Duke and Zartan before I designated them for the newer figures.
The ones from Smalljoes have a tapered peg, so they have no problems fitting all years of figures. Early figures may not seat all the way to the base of the stand, so don't force them! They come in a variety of colors, too. The only thing I dont like about them is there is a "L" shaped riser on the bottom of each corner, It's unnecesarry and makes the figure stand taller than it needs to be.
The classic GI Joe stands are fine for early figures, the Battle Corps/Ninja Force/SF/Star Brigade era stands have a slightly larger peg (I suspect this is what Cotswold molded theirs off of), and I would only use those for 90's figures as well.

"In order to create, you have to destroy."
www.facebook.com/zarana-x
www.wastelandweekend.com

Last edited by Zarana X; 11-27-2012 at 12:54 PM..
Zarana X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

The collectors club sells clear versions of the standard hasbro stand. These are my go to. For delicate figures like Zartan I don't use a figure stand. I find a non standing way to display them. If I must stand them then I use a black stand from a weapons sprue their soft plastic makes it easy to trim the peg down to a safe custom fit

nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Iron Grenadier

Steve T's Ebay Auctions
I don't use figure stands, just a steady hand. Vintage figures, especially with a backpack on are pretty easy to balance and can stand up to the occasional bump.

Steve T is offline   Reply With Quote