|12-12-2008, 05:40 PM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
This has been an excellent year for G.I. Joe enthusiasts. Hasbro has released so many good figures in their 25th Anniversary series, that I could not narrow it down to just ten. To be honest, I really wanted to do the top twenty. Just to be clear, this was by far the most difficult list I've done in some time. Hasbro has produced one of the greatest action figure series since, well, the original G.I. Joe. There were only a few figures that fell short throughout the entire 2008 series. So, know that even if they are not on this list, I still most likely adore the figure's.
15. Bazooka - Here was an excellent homage to the big lunk with a football jersey. He was never my favorite character but Hasbro's attention to detail with removable missiles on his backpack and bulkier body type put him on this list.
14. Cobra Commander V3 - You either like this design or you don't. For me, it was this armored Cobra Commander and Lt. Falcon that got me back into G.I. Joe when I was probably way over the age of supposed action figure buying. Hasbro captured this futuristic armor with great detail and just holding it brought back fond memories.
13. Specialist Trakker - Many Joe fans hate the idea of bringing Matt Trakker from the popular 1980's toy line M.A.S.K. into the world of ARAH but for me I couldn't be happier. Accept they should have ditched the green coptor backpack. Otherwise, this figure is a great homage to another 80's favorite and the facial sculpt is one of the best in the entire series.
12. Barbecue - Barbecue has always been an easy figure to like. He possessed a great firefighter outfit and great colors. Hasbro captured the coolness of the original figure with this brilliant homage to G.I. Joe's firefighter.
11. Mutt - Most kids always loved the figures that came with animals and I was one of them. I confess to not ever being the biggest fan of Mutt. However, Hasbro made this update as good as could be. Therefore, there was no way this figure could not be on the list. Even Junkyard was given his manhood.
10. Airborne - I always felt Airborne, as a character never received the appreciation he deserved. Perhaps now with Hasbro's brilliant update of this great character he may get the respect he deserves.
9. Torpedo - Water and snow guys were always some of my favorites growing up. I was happy to see Torpedo added to the 25th Anniversary line. I think what really put the figure on the list are his transparent goggles. Just brilliant!
8. Flash - Flash & Blowtorch were my very first Joe's so perhaps I am being a bit biased but Flash was definitely one of the more unique figures from the 1982 first series and Hasbro kept him interesting for the 2008 homage. Even his face resembles the original.
7.Snow Serpent -The original Snow Serpent was loaded with accessories and was always one of the better Cobra troops. Hasbro gives the Snow Serpent love by giving him loads of accessories and providing him with some of the best detail in the entire series.
6. Cobra Para-Viper - Speaking of tons of accessories, the Cobra Para-Viper has perhaps the most of any figure and they all fit nicely into place. This is a new figure and not an homage to an original ARAH. Though that didn't stop it from making the list. Other than some poor color choices, get this figure and you will understand why he is so loved.
5. Eel - Another one of my favorite Cobra Troopers, Hasbro captured the magic of the original with some amazing added features such as a removable helmet that fits so snug, you'd never know it came off.
4. B.A.T. - Perhaps, the B.A.T. is when G.I. Joe got a little Sci-Fi. Nevertheless, he was cool when I was a child and even cooler now. Hasbro amazed me with how they approached the chest plate that was once a hologram sticker. It was cool for the time but what Hasbro did for this figure makes the hologram very dated.
3. Snake-Eyes V3 - This is probably one of the most under used uniforms that the infamous Snake-Eyes wore but it was definitely cool. Hasbro's update made me appreciate this costume even more so than when I was a kid. The removable knives on his chest was very well executed and fits much nicer than I could have imagined.
2. Hawk V2 - Classic! That is the best way to describe this popular look for G.I. Joe's general. I always liked the simplicity of the original and Hasbro did not disappoint with this updated figure.
1 Snake-Eyes V1 (black) - It always seems that my number one figures create the biggest commotion and I don't intentionally do it. I keep my list honest and when Hasbro simply recast the awesome original Snake-Eyes in a dark black plastic as he should have been in the first place, it made all the difference. It made this already cool figure even slicker and explains exactly why Snake-Eyes is such a fan favorite. Now, only if they do the same with the popular V2 Snake-Eyes...
Again, this was a tough list to put together. I went through these figures over and over but I had to do this. With the G.I. Joe movie, I expect 2009 to be a bad year for G.I. Joe (sorry, I am always honest). However, the G.I. Joe: Resolute figures look cool and one of my personal favorite's, Blowtorch should be hitting stores soon. Also, My very favorite, Lt. Falcon is getting a single card figure release and I hope Hasbro makes some improvements over the comics 2-pack to ensure he'll be on my list for 2009. YO JOE!
|12-12-2008, 06:10 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Rhode Island
6. Snow Job
8. Snow Serpent
9. Wild Weasel
11. CP Beachhead
12. Snake Eyes (wave 7)
14. Hawk (wave 9)
|12-12-2008, 07:52 PM||#3|
Trying to be a Eel
Join Date: Sep 2007
I like your list, I don't know what mine would be.
|12-12-2008, 08:19 PM||#4|
Join Date: Aug 2008
The best vintage figure was the '85 EEL. The best modern figure is the '08 EEL.
Modern figures are superior to vintage, with their removable accessories, more detailed paint apps, and more lifelike sculpts.
Therefore, the current EEL is the greatest GI Joe figure of all time.
If you don't see this, we're just not on the same page.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Where can I find the 2008 cheap no weapons Joes?||Fierce Krypton||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||11||11-08-2008 10:29 PM|
|FS / FT 2008 WAVE 1 12 Inch Joes||GI Jr||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||3||07-05-2008 01:46 AM|
|2008 joe con-BUYING MOC JOES||coolcrazylegs||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||0||04-30-2008 07:50 PM|
|New Joes Listed ending 3-27-08- Loose Joes, Snake Eyes V2, Tiger Force, Python Patrol||Daywalker||G.I. Joe on Ebay||2||03-26-2008 06:02 PM|
|2008 Joes???||Darth Kun||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||57||03-06-2008 09:19 PM|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|Marauder Task Force Valkyries Discussion|
|Boss Fight Studio Greek Mythology Action Figure Line|
|The 462nd Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Ballistic a.k.a. urban assault Repeater custom by CRS|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Just bought a 37 MOC lot!!|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Virginia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Personal Grail Piece!|
|IDW Revolution Discussion...|
|Eagle Force returns|
|Gi joe transformers crossover|
|Captain Malcolm Reynolds by Vanishing Point|
|Throwdown - 1991 Snake Eyes by Vanishing Point|
|Quick an easy Major Bludd.|
|IDW January 2017 G. I. Joe Solicitations|
|California (Southern, SoCal) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Custom Cover Girl|
|Switch Gears by francis2064|
|Who is the Best ME BAT?|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Georgia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Cobra troops serial numbers|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Star Wars 3 3/4 discussion thread|
|2016 Toy Hauls|
|Kickstarter: Unrustable Bastards 'PowerMaster TFs'|
|Transformers Masterpiece Thread V2: A New...|
|Anyone using Game of Thrones Ghost (Wolf) for Timber?|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Toys for sale(some SDCC/Con exclusives)|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|Dealer Destro's B/S/T|
|Luc20100's Selling 25th 30th ROC RENEGADES POC...|
|devildawgs B/S/T list|
|WANT-2012 Crimson Strike Baroness/2016 NF Scarlett|
|Roland's Buy/Sell List|
|Vintage Joes & Accessories (1982-1993)- 92 figures,...|