|10-15-2008, 05:32 PM||#1|
W: Lego 6990 Monorail! :)
Join Date: May 2007
Thought this would be fun. For you, what are the five figures and/or vehicles you've been the most impressed with - NOT your "favourite character" or even necessarily your favourite figure. I'm talking about the ones that made you go "wow, Hasbro really came through on this one", and, of course, vice versa for the top five disappointments! My lists:
Top 5 Improvements:
5. Tiger Force Flint - Not a perfect figure, imo, and not a perfect Flint, as I'd prefer a V1 version, but what I'm most impressed with is that Hasbro actually LISTENED to the fans, and those short-sleeved arms and gloves made a world of difference to the design. The "Popeye" forearms that were obviously designed for Shipwreck aren't ideal, but they work in a pinch. As far as I'm concerned, doing this in the original black-shirt style with new forearms would make a perfect figure, so if it's that close to being perfect, I think it deserves to be mentioned.
4. BAT - Probably a no brainer. They took the great design of the original and just made it better with extra detailing. The pegs on the backpack and the forearms don't match up exactly, which can lead to some looseness, but that's really its only flaw and the looseness can be fixed with a little hot water. This is exactly what a 25th figure should be.
3. Snow Job - Like Torpedo, he now has removable goggles, as well as a removable hood. An interchangeable hood would have been great, but really, these things can zip up into collars so I'm not gonna complain. Great job!
2. Torpedo - This is what the 25th figures should be all about. Articulation that works, removable mask, extra detailing and gear. All in all, a true improvement over the original. As a side note, I usually don't like it when they change the names, but calling him "Lt Torpedo" is kind of cool - like the actual character's career progressed as well as his figure. (even if his pay grade hasn't changed, but then again, we all know how government red tape can be - I guess the system hasn't quite caught up to his promotion yet!)
1. Snake Eyes V1 style (all-black) - This mold is so good, I don't even really mind that they reuse it so much. They took everything from the original figure and made it BETTER, and what they added didn't detract from the original - a little extra bulk in the web gear, a combat knife and pistol, both removable. I would have listed the 5-pack version, but they went ahead and even improved that by going completely old-school and doing him in a darker black, like the original. He also has great articulation that doesn't suffer like Duke and some of the other early (and even later) figures. The Uzi is a little plain compared to the original imo, but if that's the only bad thing you can say that's saying a lot.
Top 5 Disappointments:
5. The HISS Tank - As far as I'm concerned, none of the vehicles needed to be "improved" for the 25th line more than this one. Sure, they made smaller pegs for the new figures and enlarged the cockpit, but if you're going to add extra DETAILS to a toy, like they did with the VAMP, Skyhawk, Water Moccasin, etc, this was the one to do it to. That big, blocky bottom part of the HISS looked out of place with other vehicles even in the '80s. This could have been something that really showed off Hasbro's talents, but I suspect the company rushed it into toy stores due to its iconic status. Oh well.
4. BBQ - He's not TERRIBLE, but he's still kind of a disappointment. He suffers a little bit because of reused parts, but not horribly so. Still, he's inferior to the original version, so I had to put him on the list. Unlike Torpedo or Snow Job, we don't get a removable helmet. Oh well, but isn't this what the 25th line is about - better versions than RAH? He can't even "holster" his water pistol like the original, or hold his ax very well - maybe it's just mine, but his left hand is quite, um, open, and I can't seem to fix it with the hot water trick. Here's a figure that Hasbro could have done AMAZINGLY, with a holster for his water pistol on the side of his leg, a removable helmet with "normal" head underneath, and maybe a holster with a regular pistol on his other leg to improve upon the original (I mean, he is a combat soldier as well).
3. Televiper - Yeah, I know it's a vehicle driver, and we're lucky to get a new head when it comes to drivers, but still. He's a Televiper without any communications gear, so what use is he? Plus, he uses the Viper body. Personally, I don't have major issues with the Viper hands, because they look fine holding their weapons, but they really shouldn't be used on other figures. Besides, it's not accurate to the original Televiper figure. I'd love to see a more accurate, non-Viper body figure with proper gear in the future. I just think Televipers are underrated figures, and I'd like to see them done justice in the new line.
2. Spirit - His gear is great, but what's up with that headsculpt? We saw something that looked great in the proto pics, but now he have a guy that looks more like the sad native guy from the old commercial than a tough tracker that can go head-to-head with Storm Shadow. I really dislike the Shipwreck "sailor shirt", too. It looks too light - this guy's job is bushwacking through dense forests and tracking people! He's gonna want something a bit more heavy duty, with sleeves that he can roll down so he doesn't get cut from all the branches! (Trust me on this, if you've never done it.) The eagle looks like a cheap plastic animal toy you buy for kids, too. Overall, could be greatly improved...
1. Duke - Here's a figure that disappoints time and time again, because it's released so often. First off, it was originally designed really well, in terms of aesthetics. The proto looked great, but then the cut wrists appeared, which detracted quite a bit from it. His accessories weren't the greatest, either. We get a rather plain looking M-16 w/grenade launcher, TINY binoculars that look 1/35th scale, and a pistol with detailing that gets damaged if you force into the holster. Helmet is fine, but where are the cool binos w/strap, backpack and smg (or cartoon rifle, if they want to go there, or even a NICE M-16)? Then, you've got arms that barely bend 45 degrees, which Hasbro decides to use as the standard "rolled up sleeve" part for numerous figures that have suffered because of it. Anyway, I haven't said anything here that hasn't been said countless times before, but at least TF Duke has the original gear and better arms... Hasbro is listening to the fans, which is impressive, so I'll end on this note: Nobody's perfect, but I think Hasbro is, overall, doing a really good job. Keep it up!
Please check out http://hmcsgreatadventure.com/ - it's a mix of sci-fi, humour and the friggin' Royal Canadian Navy, eh!
Also looking to sell/trade Joes... Need Lego Futuron Monorail, Land Adventure, etc... http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...-t-thread.html
|10-15-2008, 09:58 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2008
1. Armoured Cobra Commander
2. Cobra Battle Android Trooper
3. Commando Snake Eyes
4. General Hawk
5. Iron Grenadier
3. Crank Case
4. Grand Slam
5. Visor Snake Eyes
"The heritage of the past is the seed that brings forth the harvest of the future"
"In the unlikely story that is America there has never been anything false about hope"
|10-15-2008, 10:14 PM||#3|
Join Date: May 2008
Duke's tiny binoculars are in scale with his tiny pea head.
seriously, his head is way small...
|10-16-2008, 12:38 AM||#4|
Join Date: Aug 2008
top 5 disappointments:
5. no mindbender
4. still no mindbender
3. why hasn't there been a mindbender
2. WHY THE HELL HAS THERE NOT BEEN A MINDBENDER?!!!!
1. the viper hands. ugh
|10-16-2008, 01:41 AM||#5|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mint on Card
Top 5 Dissappointments:
1. Quick Kick - no articulated feet, goofy eyes, can't hold both ends of a nunchuck.... etc
2. Crankcase - he looks like a dang militant leprechaun!
3. Televiper - head is HUGE, hands still suck, and not even a backpack? C'mon...
4. Cutter - GUNG HO'S HEAD AGAIN???
5. DVD Snake-Eyes - ...um.... purple? We finally get the animated version... and hes fracking PURPLE?!
Bonus Stinker - Falcon. I LOVED this figure as a kid, and they gave him crappy arms and a goofy chin. What gives, 'bro?!
Top 5 Improvements:
1. Armored Cobra Commander - really, just a stellar job here
2. Iron Grenadier - a stellar re-use of a mold. This is what re-uses should be like.
3. Bazooka - I hated the fact that it was a husky version, but this figure brings back the nostalgia for the old-school Joes
4. General Hawk - this is the figure that make me come back to Joes. I sold my entire collection, and buying this one fig made me realize I couldn't stay away.
5. Croc Master - not a big fan of the character, but top notch accessories and little details like scars on his arm, etc.
Bonus Winner - Comic Pack Firefly - great coloring, and the bonus weapons were just STELLAR!
|10-16-2008, 01:53 AM||#6|
Join Date: Sep 2008
5. Firefly (comic pack) - Awesome accessories, great color scheme and design, my favorite character updated flawlessly.
4. B.A.T. - Duh.
3. Storm Shadow/Red Ninja - A ninja should be able to bend and flex and pose in cool positions. Total no-brainer.
2. Shipwreck/Copperhead/Destro/Beachhead/Torpedo, etc. - The taller/leaner look of the 25th Joes just makes these guys look badass compared to their 80's counterparts. In general they are (almost) ALL improvements. (except for Duke and Baroness and Falcon)
1. Blue Uniform, Silver Mask (original 5-pack) Cobra Commander - I had the original (and hooded) CC from the 80's, and overall this is by far the biggest improvement of any character.
5. HISS Tank - Like the first post said, this could have really used a big improvement.
4. Re-used parts - They've really turned just a few molds into a huge line-up. If I see one more "Flash's Body with ------'s Head" I'm gonna scream.
3. Serpentor/Air Chariot - Terrible paint apps. Just shameful.
2. Major Characters/Vehicles Absent - No Sgt. Slaughter. No Lifeline. No Airtight. No Leatherneck. No Recondo. No Dr. Mindbender. No SkyStriker? No Moray? No Dragonfly? Seriously, what the hell. No Dr. Mindbender???!!!
1. Duke. Every iteration of Duke is a piece of crap. Jetpack Duke is easily the best one and even he was a waste of money at $3. Plus, "Duke Hands." Which is really weird considering how awesome Flint and Hawk and every version of Snake Eyes is. Every major MAJOR character, Joe and Cobra, got really great figures in one or several iterations. Duke got completely shafted 6 times now.
I see what you did there.
Last edited by buddystalin; 10-16-2008 at 01:56 AM..
|10-16-2008, 02:10 AM||#7|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Jacksonvile NC
2.Armored Cobra Commander
4.Firefly Single Carded
4.Scrap-Iron not being single carded
5.Hasbro not putting out Modern era
blue and orange Alley Viper.
Last edited by lclements1; 10-16-2008 at 02:15 AM..
|10-16-2008, 02:22 AM||#8|
So much drama 'n the LBCs
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
1. Lady Jaye (DVD pack) — My only drawback is she's missing lip color. FINALLY I get a Lady Jaye that looks like what Lady Jaye should look like.
2. Snake Eyes (v2) — Love this guy, may be my favorite 25th Joe.
3. Hawk (v2) — Arm articulation sucks, but he's still one of my favorites. Blew me away.
4. Fred CG — The removable helmet seals the deal. I never read the comic, but I like the story behind him. I also dig Cobra troopers with real faces, and the CGs were pretty damn cool to begin with. Only drawback? He comes paired with a yellow-geared/red-masked trooper (see "disappointments" below)
5. B.A.T. — Okay, it's a close tie with Snake Eyes v2. I'm not sure if he's #1 or a close second, but this guy is total awesome. The black wash is also a nice touch. The DVD one pales in comparison.
1. Deep Six — Twenty-five years later, he still sucks? A freaking brick! The only saving grace is the awesome head sculpt. The box art is ass too, looks like they gave the "B" Squad in the Art Department the pens and colors that day. I looked SO forward to this guy, because the original sucked so bad. Plain and simple, hate it. Nostalgia, my ass. Lazy, Hasbro, L-A-Z-Y.
2. Troopers (with yellow gear/red face masks) — I love the Cobra 5-pack Trooper, but I hate these guys second only to all those repainted "Top 4" guys that everyone's sick of seeing. That sickening yellow and the goofy red masks drive me nuts. There's no consistency between any of them. Would be my favorite army builder, if you could actually build an army without having to buy a bazillion multi-packs or hard-to-find singles.
3. Major Bludd v1 — That damned non-bending arm, helment that doesn't sit right, the WAY-TOO-OBVIOUS back seam, non-painted teeth, and the "Zartan" body that didn't even work for Zartan! The multi-pack versions are SO much better.
4. Lady Jaye (v1) — as much as I love the DVD version, I despise the hatted one with the vibrant green uniform. I just hate looking at it.
5. Tele-Viper — Lazy, lazy. No gear, flesh-teeth, Viper hands (he comes in a vehicle and looks retarded holding the handles!)
Flint would be on my top favorites list if they'd just paint him in freaking toon-accurate colors, using the existing TF Flint mold, but he'd seal the deal as "Favorite 25th Joe" if they threw in a revised upper chest or complete torso resculpt. He needs to be beefier (not as big as Bazooka, but bigger than Duke) 'cause he's a meat-and-potatoes kinda guy. And a more open collar, closer to Shipwreck, except not so skinny in the waist. Flint was always my favorite Joe, and both releases have disappointed me so far. I still prefer v1, but the arms kill it for me. And I hate the TF Flint colors, but the mold is almost perfect... SO CLOSE, HASBRO, SO CLOSE, YET SO FAR!
|10-16-2008, 02:31 AM||#9|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tooele (two-willa), Utah
1. Comic pack Shipwreck. Much better head.
2. BAT, 'nuf said.
3. Vamp. The details make it cool. Plus I love Jeeps.
4. Torpedo. His accessories are cool.
5. All the Cobra troops, drivers and officers. They just have that classic look, their faces are mean, they are very cool army builders.
1. Ace's eyes. He's ruined for me. Anyone good at painting them?
2. Duke arms and the fact they get re-used so often. Articulation sucks.
3. Serpentor. DD version is terrible and he looks weird bald.
4. No figure stands for Target exclusives. Having to cut the file cards out. I'm not 12 anymore, lol... I don't have time to cut out file cards.
5. Spirit's head... I was really looking forward to this guy. He looks stoned.
|10-16-2008, 02:35 AM||#10|
So much drama 'n the LBCs
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
I would have listed Serpentor as a disappointment, but the DVD one is decent. Took them 3 times, and you STILL have to buy at least 2 to get the freaking chariot and a Serpentor with more than 2 paint colors on him.
I agree with the missing guys. Sgt. Slaughter, I get being based off a real dude. I really want him, but with petty licensing, it doesn't surprise me. But Mindbender, Cover Girl, Footloose, Recondo, and Monkeywrench should come before MATT TRAKKER (?!?!?! SERIOUSLY? MATT TRAKKER FROM M.A.S.K.? WHY OH HELL WHY?!?!?!)
If wave 11 was out yet, I'd have listed "Matt Trakker" as Biggest Letdown of All Time, since he doesn't even belong in the line. AND NO MINDBENDER? WHAT THE HELL?
Last edited by Mandingo Rex; 10-16-2008 at 02:37 AM..
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|The Biggest Joe Mistake You Will Never Live Down!||Jism83||G.I. Joe General Discussion||125||05-14-2009 08:34 PM|
|Quick Kick = biggest disappointment ever.||Derek2783||G.I. Joe Toy Reviews and Quick Feedback||112||12-16-2008 09:07 PM|
|The 8 Biggest Reasons the G.I. Joe Comic Kicks the Cartoon's ***||DetectiveFork||Comic Books Discussion||11||09-20-2008 01:30 AM|
|Which GI Joe web forum is the biggest?||CG76||G.I. Joe General Discussion||40||08-20-2008 10:20 PM|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|Movie Mashup Custom Series|
|TFCC GI Joe Crossovers Revealed|
|Not Popular Enough|
|Texas (Southern) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Photo...|
|Announcing Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel Legends...|
|Lt. Daina by Vanishing Point|
|Eagle Force returns|
|modern styled tiger force SKYSTRIKER|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Cobra Air Assault Trooper by Foxtrot Delta|
|Have an Ollies Near You? Better Hit it up! (SDCC)|
|POLL: What is the 228th greatest G.I. Joe vehicle or...|
|NJCC New Jersey Collectors Con Is Sunday November 13th...|
|Custom Recon Glider by Foxtrot Delta|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Easy yet awesome kitbashes, Show em' off!|
|Cobra Officer custom|
|Official Cobra Command Recruitment Thread!!!!|
|Custom Cover Girl|
|Just bought a 37 MOC lot!!|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Star Wars 3 3/4 discussion thread|
|Transformers Masterpiece Thread V2: A New...|
|Power Team Elite And True Heroes Discussion Thread|
|Marvel Legends Legendary Discussion Thread|
|Legion XIV 1:18 Project: Suits|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|FS: Vintage File Cards!|
|Roland's Buy/Sell List|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|Fast_Draw's B/S/T thread|
|New 2016 Joes for trade|
|Cobra Commander PaintMaster on eBay|
|FS: 2009 Movie Cobra Commander w/ Hoses|
|POC Cobra Commander Test Shot w/ Hasbro Build Sheet|
|My ebay store current auctions|