|08-28-2009, 12:49 PM||#131|
Join Date: Oct 2008
For me, I like this set a lot, for two reasons: security forces and female Dialtone. Could the set have been better? Yes. But even the figures I'm least interested in I still like (ie: its not another CC or Destro or Duke). I don't deny that there are things that could have been better about the set, but even so, this might be my favorite multipack so far.
1) Dialtone: might try to paint her uniform tan to match the RESOLUTE look.
2) Footloose: might turn him into a leader of the Pit Commandos.
3) Repeater is the one I'm least interested in, but he looks decent so I'll find a use for him.
Starting to build a dio!
Last edited by storymodeller; 08-28-2009 at 01:03 PM..
|08-28-2009, 03:22 PM||#132|
Join Date: Sep 2006
Also, this is a Toys R Us exclusive, not a mainline, wide market release. Just like every single other "Troop Builder" 5 pack. You know, the other 5 packs that are all the same exact character 4 times over, and one "special" character? Things that collectors usually praise because it offers easier troop building is being condemned here because it offers...easy troop building. A set of fairly generic figures who can be mixed and matched sounds great imo. Especially compared to the last G.I. Joe troop builder set, you know, the one that gave us a generic and unneeded Firefly repaint with 4 Duke armed, no-name, barely equiped green shirts. Hell, I think the RoC Joe Troop builder is better then the Cobra set even. With the Joe set, at least we're getting some new names, the Cobra set gives us 4 different no name Cobra soldiers with paint schemes that can't even match older troops. Oh, and another Duke. Because what G.I. Joe lines need is more Duke.
As far as I'm concerned, this set is great. Zartan is a throw away figure, but with the generic head, he can serve as a generic troop or custom fodder fairly easily. Repeater's only real "issue" is his skin color, which doesn't bother me at all. Footloose, imo, has no issues, though I probably would have used the Bazooka helmet myself, he's still a great update of a generic figure. Law seems a little bland, it wouldn't have hurt to throw him a vest or something, but otherwise he fits in real nice. And I actually like the new Girl Dial Tone from Resolute, so to see the "homage" attempt here was appreciated. Since Helix's head was the only thing close to Resolute Dial Tone's it's understandable why they used it. Only thing I would have changed would be the gun, I would have used the original just because. Overall, for a generic troop builder set, I think it works great.
|08-29-2009, 01:02 PM||#133|
THIS IS SPARTA!!
Join Date: Sep 2007
The thing I really like in this set is the fact that you have 4 all new Joes for your roster, used together or separate it's a good effort on Hasbro's part to give us different characters.
I do wish Dial-Tone had a new head or at least new "Resolute bob-cut" hair... the head's paint/plastic scheme does make it look a little different though, & she is vastly appreciated.
Order will probably look like a puppy in comparison to the new figures size-wise though.
The ROC universe is not the ARAH-verse. So Dial-Tone can be a girl, Repeater can be black, etc. It's no different than ROC's Duke being engaged to the Baroness in this universe etc. It's a new tale, so many things can be different for this relaunch. I have no problems with new expressions.
You can buy the K-mart desert 4-pack, & the Walmart EX Ninja Pack with Snake Eyes with the desert BDU's & have a large ROC desert themed team = WIN.
Personally I think this set is much better than the Cobra set. The Infiltrator Duke & the rereleased MARS guardsmen are a nice touch for those who didn't by the 3-packs, but the Elite Viper & Neo-Viper are straight repacks which to me is much more boring than an all new character.
|09-03-2009, 08:53 AM||#134|
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
I was gonna get it, just for the Dial Tone fig. Something thats jumping out at me, the file card has her as Jill S. but has anyone played the game and looked at her file card there? Shes Jill J. in the game.
|09-03-2009, 09:23 AM||#135|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey
I wasn't going to get a Dial-tone, but now I wouldn't mind having her...all she is, is Cover Girl with Helix's head.
Law & Order, maybe...depending if I got the whole set or certain pieces.
|09-08-2009, 02:35 AM||#136|
Join Date: May 2009
Location: witness protection
I'm on the fence with this set. I do like the new battle stands with names of characters I like. I mean, face it, we didn't get any new battle stand for Sgt. Thunderblast aka Thunder. Now he stands on my shelf with a stand facing backwards. This set offers us to mix and match parts. It's an opportunity to use all those extra accessories and parts from repaints to make these figures into how we would like them to look.
|09-08-2009, 03:07 AM||#137|
Join Date: Nov 2008
I like it a lot.
If they were more available around here, i would buy two, one to leave the characters as they are, the other for fodder.
Throw in there some other parts and you'll get a fairly accurate classic figs.
A few Pitt Commando's gear can make wonder with these, as well the SRO 3pk.
|11-14-2009, 04:56 PM||#138|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Sorry to necropost, but hey- I got it today.
I have to say that out of all of the Multi-Packs released after the Resolute box and 25th Sets, this one is the least disappointing. And I hate to say it, but that isn't a big deal. I think it's best to say that it's like a Special Olympics Gold Medalist- it's got a lot going for it, but it's still a little retarded.
I will speak on the high points of this box first:
1. Good Troop-Builder. You can never go wrong with having a few extra Joes that aren't Channing Tatum. It's hard finding some offscreen Joes to fill the ranks that aren't half-assed Frankenstein garbage... so you take what you can get.
2. Guns. I like guns, and I like getting more of them. This set has an FN 2000, Tavor TAR 21, a Colt .45 with tac-light, and a supressed USP .40. One thing ROC has done really well is bring in newer weapons, as most of the older stuff is now laughably obsolete by military standards.
3. Desert Camo. I think it goes without saying, it's nice to get some guys in another color besides blue. The paint scheme is pretty nice, and I think we all appreciate this.
4. Female Dial-Tone. Yeah, we all wanted her... so here she is. She could use a little work, but a COMMO chick isn't my priority at this point. I can let the fact that she's got Helix's head slide. I know these things were made to throw at retailers as an exclusive and made of spare parts laying around.
5. Custom Fodder. You know, if you take Footloose and pop his little head off and replace it with Resolute Duke's head, it doesn't look half bad... a lot like one of the older versions that I liked. Problem is the forearms are huge... anyone know how to get those off? Otherwise, this box has a lot of potential. If you have a Pit Commando, these are some decent guys to heap his gear on.
Now, the bad.
1. Zartan. Sorry, I just don't care for the actor (or the movie, for that matter). I could have been fine with just some other Joe, but Hasbro has decided to throw one guy from the opposite team in the mix. I have no idea why, but I think 5 Joes in a box and 5 Cobras in another one isn't asking too much. He doesn't have much going on, just the same old Zartan in desert fatigues.
2. The redonkulous machine gun. It looks like a 249 SAW, an M2 50 cal, got mixed together. It's too big to be worth anything unless you mounted it on something. However, the linked ammo has a lot of potential.
3. Dial-Tone's neck. I said I wouldn't freak out about her head, but I never said anything about her neck. It's long. Freaky long. Like, longer than Jennifer Love Hewitt's neck- like those people in Africa (or where ever) with all the bands around their necks. I know it's a Frankenjoe, but come on... you could have done a little better, perhaps give her a high collar like Lady Jaye.
Law & Order: I thought he was Puerto Rican... and the dog looks like it was designed by someone who has never seen a military working dog. Or probably never owned a dog. Or was just drunk.
In the end, I don't hate it. For 20 bucks, I can't complain a lot. I'd have liked some more accessories, maybe a better machine gun, but all in all I can't be a whiny fanboy and blast it. It's not a bad buy... and it's better than the Cobra box- but if you have the cash, you're better off getting other single-carded figures.
|11-18-2009, 12:33 AM||#139|
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new york
|11-18-2009, 12:35 AM||#140|
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: chula vista
yea i bought this set also. i love it.
B / S / T/
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|destro 2 pack and marvel invaders 4 pack retail||engineer pwns||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||0||08-17-2009 05:33 AM|
|Have: Best of 80's pack mib Want: sdcc destro 2-pack sealed.||05ravenr1||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||2||07-27-2009 10:36 AM|
|If you could make a Five Pack (Battle Pack) with the figures of your choice...||Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||126||07-04-2009 06:32 PM|
|WANTED: Snake Eyes' back pack from the newest 5 pack!||Mern-Ra||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||4||04-08-2009 03:35 AM|
|w: torch/ripper pack h: hawk/scarlett pack||zartan15||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||1||07-19-2008 07:21 PM|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Photo...|
|Custom Recon Glider by Foxtrot Delta|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Announcing Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel Legends...|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Eagle Force returns|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Not Popular Enough|
|Easy yet awesome kitbashes, Show em' off!|
|POLL: What is the 228th greatest G.I. Joe vehicle or...|
|Cobra Officer custom|
|Official Cobra Command Recruitment Thread!!!!|
|Custom Cover Girl|
|Cobra Air Assault Trooper by Foxtrot Delta|
|Just bought a 37 MOC lot!!|
|Action Man from The G.I. Joe Collector's Club!|
|Ripcord by Foxtrot Delta|
|GI Joe Tread Ripper|
|Python Patrol Inspired Cobra Fang|
|Terminator Plasma Rifle by Foxtrot Delta|
|DTC Barrel Roll by Oreobuilder|
|New Character- BFS Zombie Hunter|
|Bullet Proof by francis2064|
|Night Force Lifeline|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Power Team Elite And True Heroes Discussion Thread|
|Legion XIV 1:18 Project: Suits|
|Transformers Masterpiece Thread V2: A New...|
|Marvel Legends Legendary Discussion Thread|
|Any Readers Interested in Original Star Wars Fiction?|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Cobra Commander PaintMaster on eBay|
|FS: 2009 Movie Cobra Commander w/ Hoses|
|POC Cobra Commander Test Shot w/ Hasbro Build Sheet|
|My ebay store current auctions|
|Grippen's B/S/T Lists|
|Toys for sale(some SDCC/Con exclusives)|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|TFCon 2016 wants|