|04-24-2009, 05:55 PM||#21|
Join Date: Feb 2009
It's been ok. It's nice to see a decent attempt of making a proper series. I've enjoyed it so far...even if it's a tad shallow somehow (due to length I guess).
There's one thing I don't like about it though: you don't stand around surrounded by cobra troopers firing at you full auto and survive. I'm sorry, but it doesn't matter how bad a shot they all just happen to be, YOU ARE DEAD. The joes should have to get their lazy selves behind cover RIGHT AWAY.
Zartan dying just like that is a bummer for me because I like him, but what can you do?
As someone else said, blowing up Moscow so that the all american heroes can save the day is a bit crass too I guess. Could have been a great hook for bringing in the october guard though, yes?
I'm mainly bothered by the aforementioned "stormtrooper syndrome" cobra is suffering from though, not as much by that other stuff. I don't mind joes being superior, but it'd be nice if an illusion of fairness in physics would be present.
Last edited by vipertaja; 04-24-2009 at 06:28 PM..
|04-25-2009, 12:33 AM||#22|
Back where it all begins
Join Date: Jun 2008
I'm digging the new Dialtone.
|04-25-2009, 04:25 PM||#23|
Join Date: Apr 2008
RESOLUTE is great. Ive go no real gripes. Cobra troops cant shoot but hey niether could Stormtroopers.
Maybe the Elite Cobra troops in the finale can aim.
|04-25-2009, 04:41 PM||#24|
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Not here.
It's like Rob over at Topless Robot said:
You know how we all complain that so-and-so raped our childhoods? Well, this is the exact opposite.
|04-25-2009, 04:42 PM||#25|
Join Date: Oct 2007
best gi joe story EVER told in animation form
|04-25-2009, 05:44 PM||#26|
Join Date: Oct 2008
I've read all the rants pro and con the series leading up to it being shown on the Telétoon channel last night (I forced myself to wait for the final collected form, instead of the 5-minute segments doled out on the 'net the past week). It's clearly a very polarising show for a certain subsection of GI Joe fandom, given some of the overly (melo)dramatic and overblown responses posted on this and other Joe-related message boards.
Anyway, my thoughts:
Comments on GI Joe Resolute: The Concept
- I generally like the idea behind the show. A re-packaging of a property that, for many in the general public, had grown stale and irrelevant was just about due. Making it a stand-alone retelling disconnected with any animated or comic book GI Joe media released before gives the creators behind the show much more leeway in tinkering with a formula that may not exactly be what today's audiences are looking for, while at the same time giving them a built-in safeguard against becoming a repeat of prior animated GI Joe projects or an unintentional parody of classic GI Joe animation.
- The decision to go with a more "mature" approach (if not in story and dialogue, at least in the depiction of violence) is a decision I agree with as well. Let's not kid ourselves, the primary market for GI Joe these days are people who grew up playing with the ARAH toy line, grown men (and some women) in their mid-20s all the way to their early 40s, so pandering to the children's TV viewing demographic by toning down the violence would have been an empty and ultimately impractical gesture on the part of the producers.
Comments on GI Joe Resolute: The Execution
- The new character designs are some of the better ones produced as of late. Certainly better than the seemingly Power Rangers-inspired look of the recent Sigma Six cartoon and the upcoming live action movie, in my opinion. The only ones that didn't work for me were the new Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow designs (not that they were in any way technically lacking, they just didn't appeal to me relative to the new designs for characters like Duke, Snake-Eyes, Gung-Ho, Cobra Trooper, Destro, Baroness, and Scarlett).
- The animation was quite well-done for a project initially slated to be shown solely over the internet. Better than many made-for-TV animated features, IMHO. That being said, there were a number of errors that made it past editing, mostly mispellings in the background art, always a potential hazard when working with a foreign animation studio. One of the more cryptic and somewhat unintentionally hilarious ones was when the computer screen showing the rising death toll in Moscow had "Causality" in bright green glowing letters instead of "Casualties."
- I do have to say that I expected a little bit better from writer Warren Ellis. I'd enjoyed much of his 1990s/early 2000s comic book output (particularly on books like Marvel's Hellstorm: Prince of Lies, Iron Man, and the then-controversial DC/Wildstorm title The Authority). The dialogue, characterization, and plotting on Resolute came off as a bit by-the-numbers. Not bad by any means and as entertaining as most typical made-for-TV animated fare, but way below what I've come to expect from an experienced writer of Ellis' impressive résumé. In many ways, his writing on Resolute reminded me of his previous foray into writing for animation, (the only one that I know of, at least), the Tomb Raider Re/Visioned webisode entitled "Angel Spit," which was moderately entertaining but not really anything remarkable. But it's all good. Sometimes, being entertaining is more than enough, especially when one considers the cartoon's lineage as nothing more than extended ads for the toys.
Comments on GI Joe Resolute: The Fans' Response
- There's been a (disproportionately) large amount of fuss made over certain liberties writer Warren Ellis has taken with the GI Joe character pool. I'm not out to begrudge anyone their rights to complain over what they feel is a slight to their sensibilities as fans and consumers, but some of the complaints and reactions have been horrendously over the top (allegedly, Warren Ellis has received almost-but-not-quite-threatening e-mails from what are apparently sociopathically obsessed fans of the ARAH line). What these fans, engaged over tearing out their hair and covering themselves in ashes over Dial-Tone's re-imagining as a female or Storm-Shadow's turn as an out and out villain, seem to miss is that this is a totally new treatment of GI Joe, disconnected from any prior incarnation in terms of continuity and self-contained in its own little fictional universe. What that means is that all bets are off in terms of changes, but what that also means is that the changes aren't canon with respect to the "proper" GI Joe world. Dial Tone is still a mustachioed male, Storm-Shadow is still the ambivalent villain, Bazooka, Zartan, and Major Bludd are still "alive" (whatever that means when it comes to toys), and Snake-Eyes and Scarlett are still romantically linked in all sorts of other non-Resolute contexts. So all of you wringing your hands and beating your chests over some imagined slight to your person, calm down. GI Joe, in whatever form you've come to love it, still exists, and the success of GI Joe: Resolute as a toyline and cartoon won't diminish in any meaningful way your (and my) favourite classic Dial Tone, Storm-Shadow, Bazooka, and whatever else that was changed in Resolute.
Last edited by zuludelta; 04-25-2009 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Edited for spelling
|04-25-2009, 05:51 PM||#27|
!!!THIS I COMMAND!!!
Join Date: Jan 2008
|04-25-2009, 07:19 PM||#28|
Join Date: Feb 2009
On the other hand we have Zartan who can snipe even running targets in one shot from a mile away which would honestly be a pretty hard feat. Then again Zartan is a REALLY good shot in the old comics, so I'm glad they kept him as a pro sniper.
It's what bothers me about the aforementioned stormtroopers too, who are described as ELITE SOLDIERS yet can't hit a damn barn from the inside, though may gun down some of their own by mistake.
I think "elite" bad guy troops need to be actually competent...doesn't mean they have to kill good guys in droves or anything but rather that the good guys will actually have to put some effort into taking them down and such. Granted it's better now than in the 80's cartoons...
I'm not harping on you or anything though, just my long time pet peeve that became a bit of a rant. Sorry.
|04-25-2009, 07:24 PM||#29|
Master Of Mayhem
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Waco, Tx
Funny really, All the characters have a special place in my heart and when they die as does some of my childhood. BUT when I saw that grenade go off on Baroness and Destro I jumped out of my chair like I was watching the Super Bowl and screamed YES! Then, I discover it was a flash grenade and I notice my family staring at me from the next room as I stand in a both hands up, field goal position. I was a little embarrassed.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|i need opinions||RATFINK||G.I. Joe General Discussion||3||10-25-2008 01:19 PM|
|need opinions On diorama ideas||RATFINK||G.I. Joe General Discussion||3||09-16-2008 07:46 AM|
|Opinions on the new 25TH anniversary ACE||SgtMajor||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||10||09-02-2008 07:20 PM|
|Opinions on Display Case||Twisted Metal||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||21||08-07-2008 01:02 PM|
|Need Some Info and Some Opinions....||Soundwave Viper||G.I. Joe General Discussion||3||06-04-2008 06:53 AM|
|Personal Grail Piece!|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|IDW January 2017 G. I. Joe Solicitations|
|California (Southern, SoCal) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Custom Cover Girl|
|Switch Gears by francis2064|
|Who is the Best ME BAT?|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Quick an easy Major Bludd.|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Georgia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|IDW Revolution Discussion...|
|Cobra troops serial numbers|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Quality Control Issues with Latest G.I.Joe Wave|
|Eagle Force returns|
|Custom parts need/have thread|
|Joefan82 Video: 2016 Female Cobra Officer Figure Review|
|Illinois G.I. Joe Sightings|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Photo...|
|Tennessee G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Ohio G.I. Joe Sightings|
|NJCC New Jersey Collectors Con Is Sunday November 13th...|
|POLL: What is the 228th greatest G.I. Joe vehicle or...|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Transformers Masterpiece Thread V2: A New...|
|Anyone using Game of Thrones Ghost (Wolf) for Timber?|
|2016 Toy Hauls|
|Marvel Universe 3.75" figures|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|Dealer Destro's B/S/T|
|Luc20100's Selling 25th 30th ROC RENEGADES POC...|
|devildawgs B/S/T list|
|WANT-2012 Crimson Strike Baroness/2016 NF Scarlett|
|Roland's Buy/Sell List|
|Vintage Joes & Accessories (1982-1993)- 92 figures,...|
|Primeconvoy1's Sale List-GI Joe, TF'S, Zoids...|