|05-04-2009, 01:15 PM||#101|
Cobra puppet therapist
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Area 51, Nevada
This is the badass ultra slick G.I. Joe that I always envisioned in my mind. I love the fact that the show caters to the fans of the 80's show but is still accessible to new uninitiated fans, that said,
1. Awesome character designs, I like the new Gung ho, never cared for the bare chested version, too impractical and tacky, I like snake eyes new look which is actually his original design, cobra commanders new helmet.
2. good voice acting, music and sound effects.
3. I love the fact that they shoot bullets instead of red and blue lasers.
I love the fact that joe headquarters is a mobile command center, U.S.S. Flagg
I like hoe they used the old M.A.S.S. device formula, snow mission, jungle mission, space mission, etc.. they did it in a less corny believable way.
I like the fact that the Cobra troopers don't just get knocked out.
1. They should have portrayed Storm Shadow as a more honorable enemy
2. The ninja fight was great but, double wrist slash means dead in moments, the ending of the fight was too kill bill 2
3. the Duke and Scarlett shootout; standing in the middle of a ring of troopers spraying rounds and not getting hit? COMMON!
4. Zartan getting shot in the back; I saw that coming from a mile away.
5. I just don't like the design of the cobra aircraft, I can't put my finger on it.
Besides these complaints I really love the show and want to see a full series and full line of toys as well!
|05-04-2009, 01:51 PM||#102|
Fun times are here again!
Join Date: Sep 2008
4. Zartan getting shot in the back; I saw that coming from a mile away.
I had the scene from The Incredibles in my head where Syndrome was talking about monologues and how the hero always seemed to win when the bad guy started monologuing.
|05-04-2009, 02:01 PM||#103|
THE PITT - Head Janitor
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Running with the little guy, Fighting to make change
I think the film was great but the only weak thing was voice acting and/or voice directing.
Take Roadblock, the actor (EEOC discrimination laws aside) needed an African-American actor to get the african-american accent correct.
Destro sounded like an American drifting in and out of a Sean Connery accent. Much like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood where he would drift in and out of his English accent and back into his natural American accent. Bad acting!!!
Flint and Duke didn't seem to have the commanding bravado they should have and the guy who did Gung Ho just sounded blantantly constipated.
I am not trying to complain, I am just trying to speak honestly.
What I want is a cartoon which avoids the Japanamation voice acting which is prevelent in the market now.
This is where I say it sounds like folks in the recording booth just reading their lines with little or no emotion.
Back in the days with the venerable Wally Burr(who did the voice directing for the original G.I.Joe), he did round table sessions where the actor's sat next to each other and their performances bounced off of each other and it yielded better sessions.
This is what needs to be done. Resolute was almost perfect but the actors need to go back to voice acting school and Hasblo needs to hire actors at least as good as the originals or otherwise get the old voices back.
Hell, if I had the money, I'd get a high quality master of this cartoon and pay the original voice actors to come back and rerecord over the voice tracks and that would be RAD!
As an afterthought, the only guy I enjoyed was the guy who did Cobra Commander. That guy did a kick ass job. His performance overshadowed everyone else in the show.
"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men." -Abraham Lincoln
"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing......It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." -Thomas Jefferson
ďThey who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or securityĒ -Benjamin Franklin
|05-04-2009, 02:14 PM||#104|
Join Date: Jul 2008
My number one dislike of Resolute is also an annoyance with a few other things: I'm in Canada. In order to even watch this new 'toon, I had to wait for it to be cross-posted to places like YouTube and Demonoid.
Besides that, my biggest let down in the show was the infamous 'Duke and Scarlett surrounded by Troopers' scene. It was as if the art director was thinking 'how can I make Stormtroopers look like expert marksmen?' A dozen Cobra Troopers standing 10 feet away completely surrounding two Joes, and they can't kill them?
What I liked about Resolute was its more serious, quasi-realistic tone. Even the goofy martial arts stuff didn't ruin that, but the Duke-Scarlett scene did. It's so bad, it almost ruins the entire show.
Aside from that, I think I really liked everything. I could nitpick a particular line of dialogue here or there, but overall it was all really awesome. Cobra Commander's voice was, for once, pleasantly sinister. In fact, CC was probably the absolute coolest part of the cartoon. The epitome of sociopathic villainy.
Snake Eyes, a favourite of mine, was bad-ass and very cool. But I still think he was a little too extreme super-ninja here. I would have preferred that had been toned down a bit.
Few nitpicks here and there, but overall it was a great cartoon, and managed to fit in at least a cameo by lots of Joes, which was awesome.
It would be cool if they went back and re-made some of the old cartoon storylines in the new Resolute style. So here's hoping Hasbro feels that Resolute was successful enough to warrant another go sometime in the near future.
|05-04-2009, 02:31 PM||#105|
Rhymin & Stealin
Join Date: Feb 2009
- Only a handful of Joes spoke.
- Storm Shadow made into a two dimensional whiny bitch.
- The sillyness of the magic bullets that hit everything but whoever they were aimed at.
- Duke getting the drop on Zartan way too easily.
- Cobra Commander still isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
- Nukes being set off like it's no big deal.
- The ending.
Other than the above, it's definitely a step in the right direction but if they do continue with this series I really hope they extend the episode lengths which I think would help out a lot. I got the impression Ellis could have done a hell of a lot more had he had more time in each episode but instead had to do a mad dash through the Joeverse.
|05-07-2009, 05:47 AM||#106|
Join Date: Feb 2009
- Overall character design was sharp, particularly for Snake Eyes. Giving him the classic look without the visor is kind of a risk to do nowadays, but it just looks right in Resolute.
- The Villains were nasty, the way they should be. Cobra Commander's not taking anymore crap, Stormy's out to kill, Zartan is nihilistic and creepy, and Destro and Baroness are sociopaths who are in love.
- The deaths of Major Bludd and Bazooka, practically right off the bat. It let us fans know that this was a very different kind of Joe 'toon, and that all bets were seemingly off.
- Action scenes set in the pseudo suburban utopia of Springfield make me wet in the pants.
- Amidst all the gun shots, ninja fights, and explosions, there's a huge amount of character exploration, for such a short production. Ellis did a wonderful job of making Resolute a story about these relationships, and exploring corners previously uncharted.
There are quite a few more, but lets just jump to the few dislikes I have:
- I don't mind Steve Blum, but to hear Mugen's voice coming out of Duke was quite jarring and sort of hard to get past.
- Storm Shadow may have been just a tad too nasty. Really, the issue is that Ellis stripped all the sympathetic qualities from Stormy's back story. Stormy's interesting because he's supposed to be a generally decent dude who's fallen so far, it's practically impossible to believe he can ever come back. It's called pathos. Snake Eyes still has it, but Stormy doesn't, and the dynamic between them suffers just a bit because of it.
- I have to agree with a lot of others in saying that Zartan got hosed. Getting shot in the back is bad enough, but to have it happen right after that awesome speech he delivered? Bad form.
- Why, oh why must Firefly be relegated to about 15 seconds of screen time?
- Since I'm on the subject, while I appreciate throwing Beach Head in a couple of scenes, it would have been nice to have him be more involved.
I suppose that's it as far as dislikes are concerned. To be honest, I can't help but feel like those last two are really nitpicky. Overall, while Resolute wasn't perfect, per se, it's still one of the best damn interpretations of the mythos I've ever seen.
|05-07-2009, 06:43 AM||#107|
Crimson lady of the Guard
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somewhere out there
Seeing green shirts actually helping out. The command bridge on the Flagg looked like a nice command operations too.
Not a lot of GI Joe deaths. War is not that nice, good people die.
My feedback Thread http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...tml#post642922
(PLEASE READ MY WANTS LIST, any help finding these items would be wonderful)
My wants list http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-buy-sell-trade/36991-samanthas-wants-buy-trade-thread.html
|05-07-2009, 08:28 AM||#108|
Join Date: Sep 2007
With you on those Samantha (both likes & dislikes).
The realistic feel,
The animation style,
SS was perfect,he`s a ninja not a samurai so dirty deeds indeed,
CC was perfect.
The weapons (Would have prefered real world weapons),
Ninja`s,tho happy with the SS & SE parts (I can live with them not mass amounts of ninjas),
More Joe deaths were needed,
Cobra soldiers do NOT equal Stormtroopers (Man why do they all have to be crap shots).
|05-07-2009, 10:13 AM||#109|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shadowy Recesses Of Cobra Island
I absolutely loved the way they portrayed Cobra Commander. That was one thing I was apprehensive about, whether they would make him a bumbler or someone who could believably be leader of a worldwide terrorist group. They got it right and possibilities are limitless with what they could do.
One of the other things I loved was how they handled Snake Eyes. That was cold blooded when he silently pulled the sword from his hand and stared at Storm Shadow. Intense! Although I liked the resentful Storm Shadow they kind of twisted his character....like another user said he was always presented as a good dude who just happened down the wrong path not a total morally corrupt, power hungry goon.
Also they should have given Firefly a bigger role!
"His cereal never gets soggy.It sits there,staying crispy,just for him."
"His organ donation card, also lists his beard."
"The police often question him,just because they find him interesting."
"He once punched a magician. Thatís right. You heard me."
He is.....The Most Interesting Man In The World
|05-09-2009, 12:05 AM||#110|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MA USA
More commando less ninja damnit!
And in this case I think it really irked me because after killing off most of what made Snake Eyes a good comic book character, they then accentuated the worst part (the uber ninja who really doesn't even need these other Joes around to slow him down)
Congradulations, Snake Eyes is now the most powerful and dangerous VEHICLE in the Joe arsenal. Meh.
But on this note some friends and I decided that it wasn't actually SE who blew up the hiss tank in that scene. It actually had a target lock on one Joe or another. As it is impossible for a mere cobra trooper or vehicle to hit a Joe ever in animated form (apparently) a safety feature kicked in and the tank promptly blew itself up to avoid this possibility.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|So who here likes the Septic Tank?||Nekoman||G.I. Joe Toys Vintage Discussion||38||06-05-2009 06:56 PM|
|since hasbro likes build a droid||Mech-Viper||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||43||04-05-2009 04:29 PM|
|New Resolute Destro and Resolute Storm Shadow Comic Figures - $14||illinijoe||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||0||02-09-2009 10:40 PM|
|Leatherneck Likes Dico...||Warrant Officer Flint||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||6||12-22-2008 02:31 AM|
|Likes and Dislikes||VIPER 48||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||32||02-08-2008 09:27 AM|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|The Kohbra La Invasion episode 6: The Flight Of The...|
|Hisstank RPG Game Forum/ Battlefield.|
|Just bought a 37 MOC lot!!|
|Pale Peony ARAH|
|Eagle Force returns|
|GI Joe Tread Ripper|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Photo...|
|Python Patrol Inspired Cobra Fang|
|The 460th Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Announcing Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel Legends...|
|Michigan G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Who is Tombstone|
|Takara Tony's Retro Toy Meet|
|Modern G.I.Joe Haul thread|
|THE INITIATIVE Dio-Story|
|Cobra troops serial numbers|
|Is ARAH coming to an end?|
|IDW January 2017 G. I. Joe Solicitations|
|Custom parts need/have thread|
|IDW Revolution Discussion...|
|New York G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|The CORPS Megathread|
|Anyone using Game of Thrones Ghost (Wolf) for Timber?|
|Marvel Legends Legendary Discussion Thread|
|Legion XIV 1:18 Project: Suits|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Primeconvoy1's Joe's & Other Items on Ebay|
|Jeditazs All New BST! Many lines!!!|
|My Custom Baron Bloodclott|
|CW Rival, Phoenix, & more customs!|
|New 50th line up for sale FS/FT|
|Custom baroness indian jones beachhead duke|
|Custom gi joe|
|Gi joe custom baroness|
|Selling joecon & fss exclusives!!|
|UCSF BST Thread|