TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > Yo Joe! > G.I. Joe Renegades and Animation Discussion
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

G.I.Joe Animated Series Turns 30!

Reply Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cobra Viper

I think we have Ronald Reagan to thank most of all. If I remember correctly he lifted some kind of ban on using TV to basically be commercials for products. This made it possible for Sunbow, which was doing GI Joe commercials at the time, to make full episode cartoons.
——.—..-._.—..···.—..-.——.—.

Lt Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreddyn View Post
I now can say I liked the ancient monster of Destro's forefathers, I was into liking Cthulhu at that time.
Yeah I don't get the hate for Destro's monster. It never bothered me at all. The only problem with that episode for me is the ending just leaves you hanging without a real wrap-up. As I recall there were plans to do a sequel to that episode if the show had continued. I would've liked to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Bear View Post
I think we have Ronald Reagan to thank most of all. If I remember correctly he lifted some kind of ban on using TV to basically be commercials for products. This made it possible for Sunbow, which was doing GI Joe commercials at the time, to make full episode cartoons.
I don't know, but I think in Jim Shooter's column he said Hasbro could not run ads for the toys during the cartoon due to FCC regulations. However they were able to advertise the comic book. So Hasbro gave Marvel a bunch of money to advertise the comic book, making sure that all the new characters and vehicles coming out as toys at that time would be prominently mentioned in the comic book ads.

JediJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cobra Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJones View Post
Yeah I don't get the hate for Destro's monster. It never bothered me at all. The only problem with that episode for me is the ending just leaves you hanging without a real wrap-up. As I recall there were plans to do a sequel to that episode if the show had continued. I would've liked to see that.
I'm with you on this episode. I always thought it was kind of creepy when I was a kid. Plus you got an episode of Lady Jaye in a nightgown most of the time. As a kid that made me giggle, tehehe.

Lt Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Code name: J.A.F.O.

I was an 80's kid and Transformers and G.I. Joe were top two for me.

I now have an 8-year-old son; while I've successfully hooked him on the G1 series, he never took to G.I. Joe. As such, I've never revisited the cartoon.

(Kinda bums me out.)

tylerzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #35 (permalink)
DEVGRU Operator

I will remember the 1st time that I saw G.I. Joe the cartoon for the rest of my life. I've always had one question tho; How the HELL did Cover Girl figure out Timber's name? It's not like SE "told" her...

Long Live G.I. Joe!

HM.

"Remember, a cobra's a snake; and snake is sneak spelled sideways..."
- Flint

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/buy-se...-feedback.html
Hard-er Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cobra Viper

GI Joe really was a magical show. Just a month ago, I wrote an article on everything they did right. It's here: Cinapse | 4 Things The GI JOE Cartoon Did Right

Sunblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunblow View Post
GI Joe really was a magical show. Just a month ago, I wrote an article on everything they did right. It's here: Cinapse | 4 Things The GI JOE Cartoon Did Right
Nice article, man.

"I can't promise I'll try...but I'll try to try."

BUY/SELL/TRADE:
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...ell-trade.html

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/buy-se...th-awgmon.html
Darth Awgmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #38 (permalink)
Bridge Layer Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard-er Master View Post
I will remember the 1st time that I saw G.I. Joe the cartoon for the rest of my life. I've always had one question tho; How the HELL did Cover Girl figure out Timber's name? It's not like SE "told" her...

Long Live G.I. Joe!

HM.
Since Cover Girl was the first one to find the returning Snake-Eyes, I always"No-Prized" this by saying he either wrote or signed it to her (sign language).

Or, Cover Girl asked: "who's your friend"? Snake-Eyes just shrugged and she said: "okay, how about we call him Timber"?! He gave her a thumbs up and that's that.

Either scenario happened "off-screen", before Cover Girl brings Snake-Eyes back inside in the Wolverine.

Anyways, to add to the original topic, I'll never forget how the show sneaked-up on me. The comic book commercials had been airing for over a year and I knew Marvel was doing animation with "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" and "Hulk"...but it was such a huge thrill. My little mind went crazy with the possibilities of what was to come!

At the risk of repeating myselff, I'll just say I have a thread on here with my full babblings:
1983 MASS Device Review

chuck x goren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cobra Viper

[QUOTE=JediJones
I don't know, but I think in Jim Shooter's column he said Hasbro could not run ads for the toys during the cartoon due to FCC regulations. However they were able to advertise the comic book. So Hasbro gave Marvel a bunch of money to advertise the comic book, making sure that all the new characters and vehicles coming out as toys at that time would be prominently mentioned in the comic book ads.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link to Jim Shooter's column about it...Jim Shooter: The Secret Parts of the Origin of G.I. JOE Supposedly in the 80's and on you had to have kids play act the toys rather than just a straight commercial showing toys. Interesting!

Last edited by rhodium1977; 09-13-2013 at 07:03 PM..
rhodium1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

"Worlds Without End," the one where the Joes go to the alternate reality, scared the hell out of me when I was a young'n. I was so freaked out by the scene where Steeler is ranting and raving and then stumbles into the mass grave with his own skeleton that I couldn't go to sleep that night. When G.I. Joe became available on Netflix I watched it again and it's still creepy. Christy Marx wrote that one. All of her stories were intense.

Snacks is offline   Reply With Quote