TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > Yo Joe! > G.I. Joe Renegades and Animation Discussion
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

Introducing the 1985 characters a year in advanced

Reply Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Introducing the 1985 characters a year in advanced

Why did they introduced many of the 1985 toy characters a yr in advance for the 2nd mini series.
——.—..-.-.·..___._..——.——.

Zanzibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cobra Lalalalalalalala!

Two reasons:
1. Despite being in the era of the messenger pigeon, for whatever reason Hasbro seemed to have a much better synergy with all of it's licensees at the time. Meaning the animation, comics, merchandise, etc. was all very up to date with the direction of the toy line. Surprisingly, even though they are now in the age of wifi and 4G portable devices, we get Renegades figures a year after the show is cancelled, and wave 1 Retaliation figures that aren't movie accurate because they couldn't get the movie reference in time...go figure.

2. Having them in the show ahead of time familiarized you with the characters, and thus when you saw them on shelves the following year you would already know who they are and want to buy them.

This I Command! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Scorpion

mrfu's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via Skype™ to mrfu
Hasbro ????????? Are u listening? uM reading!!!!

mrfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cobra Viper

It was cool seeing the new characters before they're toys came out, Transformers would do the same thing and I think pretty much every 80's toy based cartoon.

lazlo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Technology from carrier pigeon to phones with internet and we can't get the figures made in time for their TV Show. It really shows how much Hasbro cares for their own brand now.

DR.Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Czech Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Sin View Post
Technology from carrier pigeon to phones with internet and we can't get the figures made in time for their TV Show. It really shows how much Hasbro cares for their own brand now.

If guys think any corporation cares now (or ever did for that matter) about any "brand" or product, you're out of your minds.

It is all, and always has been and always will be about money, M-O-N-E-Y, and the all mighty dollar. :(

You're just kidding yourself if you believe otherwise, it IS after all what DOES make the world go round and all anyone really cares about in the end.

Eric -

"Oh dear" said Pooh, as he punched the magazine release...

My B/S/T/ list - http://www.hisstank.com/forum/showth...7502#post77502

Feedback - http://www.hisstank.com/forum/buy-se...5-esg2145.html

Customs - http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...45-albums.html
esg2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crimson Nerd

Gotta love the short memory of collectors. Let's completely ignore that certain things happened in the brand that threw pretty much all the post-RoC releases well out of sync.

But hypothetically speaking, which waves of PoC/30th do you feel should have been nixed to make way for more Renegades figures?

Jmacq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Czech Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg2145 View Post
If guys think any corporation cares now (or ever did for that matter) about any "brand" or product, you're out of your minds.

It is all, and always has been and always will be about money, M-O-N-E-Y, and the all mighty dollar. :(

You're just kidding yourself if you believe otherwise, it IS after all what DOES make the world go round and all anyone really cares about in the end.

..............and before anyone says, "No, I don't care about $$, I care about collecting before all" or "no, the world is about love", I say bullsh*t.

Think I'm wrong?

What do you need for either of those two things (or anything else for that matter? Food, housing, transportaion?) ??

So why do you get up and go to work everyday, more than likely like most of us to go do something you DON'T like doing?

FOR THE MONEY! :O

The MONEY you need to go out and BUY these things, to do for those you love or what you want to give them b/c you love them, or just to pay for the transportation to get to the store to BUT these things you love/to get the things for those you care about!

So see, it IS all about money in the end, and it truly IS what makes the world go round, or what anyone really cares about at the end of the day. :(

That is all the life philosophy I have at 7:30 on a Monday morning, that is all..................

Eric -

"Oh dear" said Pooh, as he punched the magazine release...

My B/S/T/ list - http://www.hisstank.com/forum/showth...7502#post77502

Feedback - http://www.hisstank.com/forum/buy-se...5-esg2145.html

Customs - http://www.hisstank.com/forum/member...45-albums.html
esg2145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
twitter viper

1985 we got:
28 figures
3 3/4" Figures | YoJoe.com: Dedicated to the G.I.Joe of the 80's, 90's and beyond!

25 vehicles(including the FLAGG):
3 3/4" Vehicles | YoJoe.com: Dedicated to the G.I.Joe of the 80's, 90's and beyond!

All of which were planned over a year in advance.
today it is gimme more gimme NOW.

so in 2012 we got:
61 figures:
3 3/4" Figures | YoJoe.com: Dedicated to the G.I.Joe of the 80's, 90's and beyond!

8 vehicles
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/newrep...te=1&p=4111909

the line was much more streamlined and we as kids were just as satisfied if not more so with less.

Hasbro has evolved with consumer demand for better or worse. If we or the retailers didnt demand so many waves every year, perhaps they could make better plans as far as marketing and tie ins.

skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
twitter viper

where are you seeing that POD aired a year in advance? or did you mean you thought the figures for 1985 came out before the cartoon?? It aired Sept 16, 1985--Sept 20, 1985.
before that there were just the two miniseries.
Mass Device in Sept 1983 and Revenge of Cobra in Sept 1984.
beginning of the fall season
There wouldnt have been a new cartoon until Sept as that was how syndication and the networks ran things back then. They would not have debuted a new cartoon in the "off season" in the summer. There were no half seasons like today. (Walking Dead Im looking at you)

Last edited by skinny; 01-07-2013 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: clarification
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote