TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > >
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

DIC questions

Reply Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
UNDERCOVER
Morning Joe

DIC questions

I never watched any of the DIC series. How did it pick up after the 87 movie? Was Cobra la mentioned at all or was it like it never happened?. I just finished watching the 87 movie again and now i'm curious.

Thanks for any info
——.—..···._..__.——.·..__._._.

UNDERCOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Un_Chakal
Iron Grenadier

Un_Chakal's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via ICQ to Un_Chakal Send a message via AIM to Un_Chakal Send a message via MSN to Un_Chakal Send a message via Yahoo to Un_Chakal Send a message via Skype™ to Un_Chakal
It was not mentioned, but Cobra commander was still a snake, and cured of it somewhat in the first episode. After that it was business as usual for story lines.

Un_Chakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
cobratrooperlui
Cobra Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un_Chakal View Post
It was not mentioned, but Cobra commander was still a snake, and cured of it somewhat in the first episode. After that it was business as usual for story lines.
Except for the fact that it got dumber and dumber with each episode.

cobratrooperlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Viperscout 7
Cobra Viper

lets see Cobra Commander was still a snake, Sgt Slaughter was still leading the team, Falcon is still Dukes brother, Mercer is still an ex cobra Viper,

Viperscout 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
UNDERCOVER
Morning Joe

Thanks for the info. I always hear how bad the DIC series was, so this saves me from watching it.

UNDERCOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Steevy Maximus
Snarky Siegie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDERCOVER View Post
Thanks for the info. I always hear how bad the DIC series was, so this saves me from watching it.
I still feel a LOT of the hate for the series is from older fans who simply "outgrew" Joe by the time DiC rolled around.
Remember, your given 7 year old in 1984 would have been 11 in 1989. I don't care who you are, your tastes DO change over 5 years, and DiC wasn't concerned with the aging fanbase, they were aiming their show to get the next batch of kids, those that were 4-6 in 1989 (like me).

That said, was DiC a "great" series? No, but neither was Sunbow (to this day, I rarely watch Sunbow reruns on the Hub in favor of Transformers or even Sigma Six).
It did what it needed to do, did so cheaply, did so COMPETENTLY, but it made no effort to do more than that. The Sunbow series relied on relatively high production values, a hugely skilled voice cast, and snappy dialog (supported by the skilled voice cast) to compensate for its often goofy and poorly developed stories.
Dic knew what it was, and compared to a lot of cartoons on the market at the time, it really wasn't as bad as some out at the same time.

GI Joe Battleground Invite ID: 7yigRr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDubya
Any sort of panic at this stage is just pure unsubstantiated reptile brain stem fear.
Steevy Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
steve_smmr
Sprite Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus View Post
I still feel a LOT of the hate for the series is from older fans who simply "outgrew" Joe by the time DiC rolled around.
Remember, your given 7 year old in 1984 would have been 11 in 1989. I don't care who you are, your tastes DO change over 5 years, and DiC wasn't concerned with the aging fanbase, they were aiming their show to get the next batch of kids, those that were 4-6 in 1989 (like me).

That said, was DiC a "great" series? No, but neither was Sunbow (to this day, I rarely watch Sunbow reruns on the Hub in favor of Transformers or even Sigma Six).
It did what it needed to do, did so cheaply, did so COMPETENTLY, but it made no effort to do more than that. The Sunbow series relied on relatively high production values, a hugely skilled voice cast, and snappy dialog (supported by the skilled voice cast) to compensate for its often goofy and poorly developed stories.
Dic knew what it was, and compared to a lot of cartoons on the market at the time, it really wasn't as bad as some out at the same time.
The DIC series is what it is. The episode plots weren't great, but what struck me was the lack of character. Sunbow at least had decent/amusing dialogue which endeared us to Lady Jaye, Flint, etc. while DIC just took the figures that were out that year and made them even less dimensional than their file cards.

"Cast them into eternity! Scatter their bones at my feet!"

~Cobra Commander
steve_smmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
steve_smmr
Sprite Viper

Though, I will at least give them points for at least loosely continuing it from the Sunbow era.

"Cast them into eternity! Scatter their bones at my feet!"

~Cobra Commander
steve_smmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
cobratrooperlui
Cobra Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevy Maximus View Post

When I introduced my two boys to G.I.Joe, the oldest was 7 and the younger one was 4. I showed them the Sunbow series which they loved and that was in 2007 when I discovered the 25th anniversary Joes came out. So of course I bought those for them as well. They didn't have to wait to get older to see the DIC series and when they saw that series they didn't like it. They also saw Renegades and said it was boring cuz all they do is drive around. Now that they are a little older they still like G.I.Joe, but Sunbow only please.

cobratrooperlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Paul Agnew
DiC Addict

My Girlfriends Never Got To Do It Cheap After THEIR Unveilings!

Don't mind saying that I rather fancy a bit of DiC myself...

Paul Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote