|View Poll Results: Like it or hate it?|
|On the fence||84||13.10%|
|Voters: 641. You may not vote on this poll|
|08-07-2009, 11:29 AM||#661|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Marietta, GA
Went last night. Ripcord grew on me.
Overall it was awwwwweeeeessssssommmmmmmeeeeeee to me. The cheesy one liners like "knowing is half the battle" and such were very well placed. I love the reference to the kung fu grip. Overall, I found it amazing, but I thought they could have added probably 20 more minutes to the film and add in a PSA at the end or something to give the old GI Joe cartoon a nod.
Wasn't a fan of the Ripcord+Scarlet thing or the *spoiler alert* Duke+Baroness thing. And why kill off an amazing bad guy that was a fan favorite for alot of people? I really hope they bring him back!~
"Save your whining for the SoftMaster."
|08-07-2009, 11:33 AM||#662|
Join Date: Dec 2008
|08-07-2009, 11:40 AM||#663|
Join Date: Dec 2008
|08-07-2009, 11:42 AM||#664|
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Saw the film last night at 11:59. For a reborn Joe fan, I really enjoyed it.
Rise of Cobra has done exactly what it was meant to do, rekindle an interest in gi joe for me. I'm buying the new toys, playing with them, and not regretting it!
The action scenes were very fun, the violence was surprisingly brutal, and the special effects (in certain places) were delicious eye candy. I freaking love the steel crusher!
And yes, since I am a reborn fan, please keep in mind that I am familiar with original character designs and style so...
I like the new vipers. The nano vipers, the eels, the elites, all cool in my book! And frankly I don't care that their concepts are all borrowed/stolen ideas from everyone else.
Snake eyes was bad ass. But I will agree the mouth on the mask is dumb. Going along with that, his vow of silence is terribly lame. I would rather have them include the helicopter accident reason. It doesn't make sense visually that a character who took a vow of silence, would wear a mask with a visible mouth on it.
The accelerator suits were better than I thought. That chase scene was so flipping cool.
Storm shadow's outfit was nice. I loved his actor too, I freaked when I found out he starred in Park Chan Wook's "Cut." I enjoyed that his young character was played by the evil drug lord boy from Tropic Thunder. That kid is going to grow up and be one hell of a martial art movie star. Same for young Snake, that kid can fight!
Baroness was so hot, and Miller did do a great job acting in the film.
Ripcord didn't bother me, his performance was better than I thought.
Duke was good, but I see his actor as a perfect archetype for any American solider character in any film. Sweet motorcycle too!
Destro, I didn't mind. I like the idea of the double agent weapons dealer, but I'd rather see him as more of an independent character, not necessarily tied to one side or the other.
Wanted more of heavy duty, he looked awesome in that trenchcoat! I want a Paris pursuit Heavy Duty figure!
Scarlett was cool, but she's cheating on snake eyes!
The Joe team was fun to watch, for the most part I didn't have a problem with them. But now I'll bring up something I said in another post. Something that I'll be burned at the stake for:
I love the new Cobra Commander.
That ain't a typo. And yes, I know on this here site, I stand alone. Quote me, flame me, whatever.
Overall I really enjoyed it. I definitely want a sequel!
|08-07-2009, 11:46 AM||#665|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
went at midnite last nite
it was great!
I wish JGL's CC voice was a bit more snake-ish
a little more of an homage to the late Chris Latta woulda been cool
but I thought he worked well and overall the movie was awesome!
I didnt mind Marlon Wayans as far as his acting goes.
I still think he should have been a different character and not been saddled with the one liners he spit out or been the comic relief.. just didnt give him much credence to him being a serious actor.
The "relationship" with him and Scarlett I could have done without
but overall I really enjoyed the film!
I was pretty sure i'd like it regardless and it def. went over well for me!
In the end, you'll see my name carved in stone...
OWNER OF MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS PAGES: 501,565,1084,1092,1093,1198,1346,1347,1348,1349, 1350,1777,1942,1943 & 1944
My Feedback Thread:
|08-07-2009, 11:54 AM||#666|
Join Date: Jan 2009
I went into the theater knowing this was basically a reload of G.I. Joe. I had heard about the backstories of the charachters and so on and wanted to give this a chance even knowing this wasn't the G.I. Joe / Cobra story I would remember.
Before I go off an bring up the things I didn't like does anyone remember so many people saying how you couldn't have a guy running around a whole movie with a silver mask or a hood it would look to silly.... The Rex charachter was so much much better looking in that Darth Vader leather neck breathing thing I guess... They were right a silver mask or any outfits like in the long established line wouldn't have worked. Are you kidding!! me the viper outfits are really bad for starters. I had the figures thought maybe they would look better on screen...Sorry folks they look bad. Why not just use an established outfit like the vipers or a Resolute look to the standard trooper.
Ok, here are my beefs:
1. CGI on apache helicopters (Really whole movie) sucked I mean really bad it looked like a cut scene from a video game.
2. Why the heck is Duke called Duke and Rip-Cord called Rip-Cord these are code names the Alpha team (G.I. Joe) would give its operatives, I really can't get a grasp on what that was about. I guess Heavy Duty was the name his mother gave him at birth WTF!
3. Destro seemed to become lamer as the movie progressed. At first he seemed serious and on point then he starts to act like a bumbiling idiot. Wasn't he in charge? Wasn't that his multi million dollar underwater base?
4. M.A.R.S base had 2 guards and an open door guarding the entrance and one of it's high tech planes was just sitting there WHAT? multi-billion dollar base guarded by 2 guys and an open door to the one elevator going down really stupid.
5. Why did the Baroness and Cobra Commander need to be related? Why what idiot decided this would make G.I. Joe better than what was established? Why do we need to know who the Cobra Commander is? Why did the Baroness need to have been engaged to Duke? This all strikes me the same way Anakin built C3PO and Yoda and Chewbacca were friends. Why does everyone need to be related. There is now no mystery about Cobra Commander he is Rex Lewes from New Jersey he lives at 125 Main street...
6. Ok so the movie was for kids OK but why change so much? Also why throw in so many curse words if the movie is for 10 year olds? I didn't see the need to have the charachters curse when they did. It doesn't bother me but if its for kids...
7. U.S. President reffering to them as JOES? come on.
8. How did the G.I. Joe team know the guy in the white suit was named Storm Shadow?
9. How did the G.I. Joe team asemble and get a sub to the North pole in like 5 minutes?
10. Night Raven or not Moscow to Washington D.C. in 2 minutes HUH?
11. Snake Eyes looked like a big oversized man in a rubber mask. Action scenecs with him were full of action yes but between the mouth on his mask and the fact the charachter looked really bulky in the rubber suit turned me off a bit.
12. The M.A.R.S Humvee had the front ram bars appear as if it was a transformer looked really poor.
13. The PIT was WAY to over the top, the elevator ride with full view of each level seemed way to much.
14. General Hawk seemed so stiff and really delivered a bad acting performence.
15. Why did Scarlett and Rip Cord seem to have a thing for each other? Who else cringed when Scarlett yells out RIPCORD when his plane gets eaten.
16. I was hoping to see charachters of the M.A.R.S soldier and officer like the 3 pack but they never showed up? No big deal allot of Joes and Cobra's were not in the movie but why produce them and then don't put them in weird. When the figures came out I thought we were getting a sneak look at the movie I was wrong.
17. The last 2 minutes we see Rex put on a new Mask and say call me commander? What the heck was this really supposed to be a dramatic part of the movie? If so it was not and it was really bad I almost had to look away.
18. The CGI prison the Commander and Destro are in looked so bad I mean please didn't somone look at that and say Mr. Sommers this REALLY looks bad.
19. Please don't tell me Larry Hamma had anything to do with this movie.
20. Minior point didn't M.A.R.S see the homing beacon was activated (Again) on the case and turn it off? How many times was this homing beacon followed in this film 5 times!
If this movie was not called G.I. Joe and the charachters had different names (Not those we are familiar with) I would say the movies was terriable and no one would argue. G.I. Joe fans almost feel the need to protect the film because it is G.I. Joe and we want to find a way to like it. True there were a few moments of things we liked, Zartan stabbing covergirl and it was neat to see a live actin battle with Snake eyes and Strom shadow but all in all this is not a good movie. I really wanted to like it I really did but this is not a good G.I. Joe movie nor is a good movie in general.
All hail Cobra Commander the great snake rules forever...
|08-07-2009, 12:10 PM||#667|
Join Date: Jul 2009
I really liked the movie. I grew up with the toys in the 80's and they are still my favorite but I like the different angles and story lines that the movie had going on. I liked that they gave some back story to where some of the characters came from that made them who they are today. It was cool see the evolution of Destro and Cobra Commander. Yeah, there were parts of the movie that were cheesy but it made it humorous. Overall, I thought the movie was pretty fast paced and it kept my attention the whole time.
Find all of the latest Custom GI Joe Figures at www.actionfigurecustoms.com
|08-07-2009, 12:17 PM||#668|
Join Date: Aug 2009
I couldn't find any movie reviews the last 3 days, I guess paramount didn't want any screening. Anyways, I'm glad I found this site. So far most of them are positive. Watching the trailer months ago, I thought it was going to be a disaster, but I'll find out today if the movie is really that good. By the way, here is a drawing I did a month ago.
|08-07-2009, 12:20 PM||#669|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Monrovia, CA
a more accurate comparison would be a store or place you loved that was redecorated or renovated, like, say Toys R Us. We all know the differences between TRU now, with their small aisles and section, as opposed to how it was when we were kids with their long aisles stacked full of all the popular brands one after the other. do you walk through TRU now and say that because it has been redesigned your childhood has been destroyed?
that's a comparable example.
and I hope not. anyone who thinks that the world should just stand still and never change has some serious issues to deal with. life is about change. you don't look the same, you don't dress the same, and you don't act the same as you did when you were 10, so why the expectation that the rest of the world should. it really is strange and not healthy IMO.
|08-07-2009, 12:22 PM||#670|
Join Date: Oct 2007
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #4 Review||Shin Densetsu||Comic Books Discussion||14||07-27-2009 07:26 PM|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #3 Review||Shin Densetsu||Comic Books Discussion||10||07-16-2009 02:35 PM|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #2 Review||Shin Densetsu||Comic Books Discussion||5||07-12-2009 06:50 AM|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #1 Review||Shin Densetsu||G.I. Joe News and Rumors||12||07-06-2009 07:06 PM|
|review of GI Joe Movie||peteeyes7||G.I. Joe News and Rumors||4||06-13-2009 02:28 PM|
|Personal Grail Piece!|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|IDW January 2017 G. I. Joe Solicitations|
|California (Southern, SoCal) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Custom Cover Girl|
|Switch Gears by francis2064|
|Who is the Best ME BAT?|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Quick an easy Major Bludd.|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Georgia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|IDW Revolution Discussion...|
|Cobra troops serial numbers|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Quality Control Issues with Latest G.I.Joe Wave|
|Eagle Force returns|
|Custom parts need/have thread|
|Joefan82 Video: 2016 Female Cobra Officer Figure Review|
|Illinois G.I. Joe Sightings|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Photo...|
|Tennessee G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Ohio G.I. Joe Sightings|
|NJCC New Jersey Collectors Con Is Sunday November 13th...|
|POLL: What is the 228th greatest G.I. Joe vehicle or...|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Transformers Masterpiece Thread V2: A New...|
|Anyone using Game of Thrones Ghost (Wolf) for Timber?|
|2016 Toy Hauls|
|Marvel Universe 3.75" figures|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|Dealer Destro's B/S/T|
|Luc20100's Selling 25th 30th ROC RENEGADES POC...|
|devildawgs B/S/T list|
|WANT-2012 Crimson Strike Baroness/2016 NF Scarlett|
|Roland's Buy/Sell List|
|Vintage Joes & Accessories (1982-1993)- 92 figures,...|
|Primeconvoy1's Sale List-GI Joe, TF'S, Zoids...|