|View Poll Results: Like it or hate it?|
|On the fence||84||13.10%|
|Voters: 641. You may not vote on this poll|
|08-07-2009, 03:39 AM||#491|
Cobra Elite Force Command
Join Date: Jul 2008
I had huge doubts about this movie and was turned off by the initial sneak preview I saw. As more came out about the movie, my interest grew.
Now that I have seen it, I have to say it is probably my favorite movie this summer.
It deviates from the source material, but I was ok with it. It's another telling of the GI Joe tale, starting from scratch.
- Baroness (great job, made the cartoon Baroness come to life x100)
- The Doctor (great character, I really enjoyed this addition!)
- Destro (pretty good "real world" version)
- Duke/Snake Eyes/Ripcord/Scarlet/Hawk and even Breaker (no problems with any of them)
- Great setup for future movies while making this particular entry VERY entertaining
- The arrival of CC is not what I expected. Perhaps they will further develop this in the future movies.
- Zartan... good actor but he just didnt fit the role to me.
- Heavy Duty... only Joe who I thought felt out of place.
- Neo Vipers/Elite Vipers/EELs - Meh. Not good or bad... felt indifferent about them.
- Some really bad CGI at some points that looks like 1990 PC graphics
All in all... I really think some of you take this just a little bit TOO SERIOUSLY. I love the franchise and the old cartoons, but things change. The old cartons are pretty damn cheezy and I love them for that... I think its fair for the movie to have some cheese too!
Last edited by Outsider; 08-07-2009 at 03:41 AM..
|08-07-2009, 03:40 AM||#492|
Join Date: Dec 2007
this is exactly how I feel...
|08-07-2009, 03:43 AM||#493|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Worst movie i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period!!!!!
I just saw it! Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!
It was so awful!
|08-07-2009, 03:45 AM||#494|
Win, Lose or Die
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canton, Michigan
Ok, just got back from seeing it. I went in with an open mind.
Here are my thoughts:
Overall, the movie was okay. There are some things good, some bad. I had low expectations going in, and it's a good thing.
What I liked:
1) The Mole Pod attack was pretty cool.
2) Sienna Miller was hands down better than most of the cast.
3) The "Doctor" character was cool. If he didn't tun out to be Cobra Commander, he'd have been even cooler.
4) A lot of nice nods to long time Joe Fans.
5) SS/SE battles! I liked them a lot.
6) "He never gives up." One of my favorite lines. Great way of working it in.
7) Scarlett kicks some pretty serious butt.
8) USS Flagg! Jinx!
What I disliked:
1) The flashbacks: terrible! And they come up at really strange times.
2) The whole Duke loves the Baroness, who is the sister of CC, but is also with Destro. Ugh. Totally unecessary.
3) CC and Destro looked brutal.
4) Way too much CGI, and a lot of it looks really cheesey.
5) Ripcord. Most of his delivery feels forced. There are a few brief moments where his character shines, but his comedy is horrible.
6) The music. WTF? MTV kids will love it, but it gives the movie a corny feel.
7) The opening sequence was totally stupid. Bad way to kick things off.
8) Sgt. Stone. sigh. Way to get your buddy in the movie, Sommers.
9) Zartan. Although he has a cool scene at the end, you don't care, because there is NO fleshing out his character at all.
10) Someone explain to me how this is the "Rise" of Cobra. CC never calls it Cobra, they get captured, Baroness is a good guy. And yes, I am sure Zartan will play into them escaping, but the movie should have been called "The Fall of M.A.R.S"
11) How is GIJOE a secret outfit if everyone knows who they are?
All in all, it's a popcorn movie. Lots of action and explosions. I think younger kids will love this movie. I saw it in a packed theater, and people were snickering all through it. Lots of boos at the end. There is certainly room to improve, should a sequel happen.
I am not a big fan of changing something just to change it. If there is a vaild reason, sure. But a lot of things in the movie just feel "fake". I know GIJOE has sci fi elements, but a little more realism would have helped. Better dialogue would have helped as well, I think. Some of the actors seem to be coasting through their parts. I don't know if that is a director issue or the actors, but a lot of the characters are very bland.
I give it 5 out of 10.
Cobra has won. The Battle is over. Or is it?
The Reign of Tears has begun! Check out my original G.I.Joe story!
|08-07-2009, 03:47 AM||#495|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington DC
I just saw it and thought it was pretty good. Loved Joseph Gordon Levitt. All in all everything was good except Channing Tatum. He was just barely passable. Duke shouldn't talk like that. But otherwise I really liked it. Can't wait for the sequel.
|08-07-2009, 03:47 AM||#496|
Join Date: Aug 2008
Worst ever? Not by a long shot.
Fun enjoyable, I feel like I got my $8 worth.
I'm sure that the OP is just emotional about his perceptions of the shortfalls in the movie.
As much as I liked the movie and thing that Ray Parks was a great casting choice, Snake Eyes lefts kind of flat. Not that I wanted him to be the "all powerful Ninja" but I never got the feeling like he was all he could have been. I can't really pit my finger on it, just a gut feeling.
Quaid was too harsh at the wrong times, and to "smiley" many other. He really could have anchored this cast better.
JGL I thought did a nice job with the voicework for CC
the costume was distracting.
Eccleston was very believable as Destro
The pit scenes were full of eye candy!
The landing sequences with the howler against the desert made me cringe for the CGI guy
|08-07-2009, 03:49 AM||#497|
Join Date: Dec 2007
cgi - ok
script - terrible
plot - lame
duke - really?
hawk - comon' quaid, you're better than this
scarlett - not bad
ripcord - surprisingly entertaining
snake eyes- kicked ass
heavy duty - whatever
storm shadow - better than expected
zartan - thats it?
rex/commander - solid
destro - what's up with the bumps?
i went in hopeful but came out disapointed
if someone out there is listening...please come rescue this great franchise!
|08-07-2009, 03:49 AM||#498|
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Portsmouth Va.
Wth is wrong with you niksal,did you think you where going to the movies to see saving private ryan or full metal jacket??? It was what it was meant to be...after waiting 25 years for this movie...it was worth the wait..its an instant classic like the 1st transformers!! I suggest you go to blockbuster if your looking for hardcore military movies....
|08-07-2009, 03:49 AM||#499|
Alley Viper Strike Team
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
What about the Vipers?
How do they come across?
Alley Viper attached to the Strike Team Urban Division 82nd.
Cobra wants you! I'm looking for some ruthless Vipers to fill the ranks. Joes need not apply.
Laugh Now, Cry Later.
|08-07-2009, 03:51 AM||#500|
Join Date: Mar 2008
The kid in me loved it, but the man rolled his eyes on several occasions. Overall I'd say it was better than I thought, but definitely could have been better. Tons of action, though, which is a good thing for a summer flick. It looks completely different than the JOE universe we all know and love, but I see potential for the inevitable sequel now that the stage has been set and everyone has been introduced. Hopefully next time we'll see a few more cameos. That opening sequence would have had me grinning from ear to ear if they'd just showed a few shots of Rock N Roll, Zap, Short Fuze, Stalker alongside Scarlett, Snake Eyes and Co. Maybe next time.
"To die of want in a world of surplus is not only absurd, it is morally repulsive." - Bob Geldof
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #4 Review||Shin Densetsu||Comic Books Discussion||14||07-27-2009 07:26 PM|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #3 Review||Shin Densetsu||Comic Books Discussion||10||07-16-2009 02:35 PM|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #2 Review||Shin Densetsu||Comic Books Discussion||5||07-12-2009 06:50 AM|
|G.I. Joe Movie Adaptation #1 Review||Shin Densetsu||G.I. Joe News and Rumors||12||07-06-2009 07:06 PM|
|review of GI Joe Movie||peteeyes7||G.I. Joe News and Rumors||4||06-13-2009 02:28 PM|
|Who's Your Favorite Dreadnok Of All Time?|
|"Ages 25 & Up": My Joe Fig-Comic|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|Eagle Force returns|
|Origin of zombie vipers|
|Hisstank RPG Game Forum/ Battlefield.|
|What is Hasbro's movie/T.V problem?|
|Wild Weasel by Geckohun|
|New York G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Terminator Plasma Rifle by Foxtrot Delta|
|The 458th Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|POLL: What is the 227th greatest G.I. Joe vehicle or...|
|Are you happy with the amount of figures released in...|
|FSS 2017 13TH Figure Guesses|
|Outback, Falcon, and OG13 Scarlett|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Stiletto Photo Shoot|
|Doc and Lifeline|
|Arkansas G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Is ARAH coming to an end?|
|IDW G.I. Joe Comic Book Sales Figures - Read Order|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Best figure poll 2016 retail release|
|Virginia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Duke and Tombstone 2 pack|
|Announcing Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel Legends...|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Power Team Elite And True Heroes Discussion Thread|
|Legion XIV 1:18 Project: Suits|
|The CORPS Megathread|
|Anyone using Game of Thrones Ghost (Wolf) for Timber?|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Toys for sale(some SDCC/Con exclusives)|
|Yojoe77 bst list|
|Postage Increasing for Parcels again in 2017|
|My Custom Baron Bloodclott|
|Un_Chakal's B/S/T A lot here...|
|POC Cobra Commander Test Shot w/ Hasbro Build Sheet|
|FS: 2009 Movie Cobra Commander w/ Hoses|
|Cobra Commander PaintMaster on eBay|