|08-01-2009, 12:38 PM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mint on Card
Ex-haters, have you been convinced you were wrong and embraced the movie at some point during the release of the 12 trailers and interviews/clips?
Ex-hater-haters, any of you become disillusioned after actually seeing some of the footage and seeing/hearing some of the interviews?
I've been one of the most out-spoken critics of the movie around these parts. Tell me what you think. I personally am thinking I will end up having a love-hate relationship with RoC. But anyone who's had a change of heart, sound off. Am I going to have to eat my words?!
EDIT: Updated with my review!
Well, I went and saw the movie last night. Am I going to eat my words? Some of them, but not too many.
Let’s start with what I was wrong about. I always said I would gladly eat my words if I was wrong, and I’m not one to pretend I was right when I wasn’t!
1. Marlon Wayans. I was completely wrong about him, he worked very well in the film. While I still hate that he’s “Ripcord”, I think he did a great job and was very well suited (no pun intended) for the part as it was written. In fact, his comic relief was one of the more welcome aspects of the film as a whole. There were a few times he was too corny, but that was poor writing, not his fault – like when he falls out of the van. That scene was too contrived and forced.
2. The accelerator suits. They didn’t ruin the movie, or really take anything from it, and the parts where they’re running through the streets actually is pretty cool. I didn’t really like the concept, as I wish we’d gotten a more military-unit type movie, and less of a superhero movie, but as a Joe weapon in the context of RoC, they made sense. That’s more of a reflection of the movie as a whole, than a compliment to the suits though.
3. Most importantly, I was wrong about the film flopping. One of my biggest fears early on was that the movie would be so corny that it would perform poorly. Well, is ridiculously corny, but the film aesthetics looks rather cartoony and while its bound to turn off alot of adults, it does have lots of kid appeal. And as others have said, for a 10 year old boy, this will be the greatest film ever made. RoC will do a lot for the brand in terms of kid appeal and recognition, and that means we’ll be getting a lot more toys. That’s a great thing for the line.
Unfortunately, though I wish it wasn’t true, the movie as a movie…. sucked. Here's what I didn't like:
1. The sheer lack of logic. Ice floats, man. Where’d Snake-Eyes learn to fight like a ninja before he joined the clan? Why give the new recruits –and only the new recruits- the accelerator suits, and then why send only 6 people to Paris, instead of the hundreds of Joes available to stop such a terrible threat? These, and a lot of other questions were just too hard to ignore.
2. Snake-Eyes. Holy crap, how’d Sommers screw that up? Snake-eyes does some cool stuff in the movie, but for the amount of suspended disbelief Sommers asked for, you’d think he’d focus more on the impossible stuff Snake Eyes/Ray Park can do. Like the scene where he walks on his hands, and the scene where he handstands on his sword tips –you hardly see any of it because the shots are too quick, and poorly done. And the rubber suit you could just tell limited Ray from really showing what he can do. He just looked uncomfortably stiff the whole movie. Which brings me to my next point…
3. The ninja battles. Some of you guys will probably hate me for even thinking this, but they were very disappointing for me. I just didn’t think they were very well executed. The scenes were too short and cramped, and were mostly clanking swords moving too fast to even see what was going on. The kids in the flashback look much better than the two grown ninjas in battle. I guess I was hoping for something visually appealing, like the ending fight in Romeo Must Die, or the fight in the temple in The Protector (not that either movie was great, but you know what I’m getting at). I know I wasn’t hoping for Phantom Menace Redux, complete with combining swords and a battle on a little platform.
4. The corniness. Oh my goodness. The corn. Too many instances to mention, but a good one is Scarlett just happening to guess that the Night Raven required old Scottish words to operate, and then just happening to know the old Scottish words for “fire” and “eject”. I suppose the cheese was fine for the intended audience (small children) but it took a lot of the enjoyment out of the movie for me.
5. The sets. They all looked like… well, sets. Why is it that the set of CTU HQ on 24 looked more interesting and real than the PIT did? Something’s wrong there.
6. The CGI. Ugh.
7. Most of the dialogue. Ugh.
8. Destro becoming a mind-controlled lackey. Ugh.
9. Baroness turning good at the end, and not really ever having been bad, just mind-controlled. Ugh.
10. Tatum’s not being able to get rid of his white-guy-from-the-inner-city way of talking. Ugh.
11. Quaid’s really awkward way of standing, and continuously putting his hands to his hips as he tries to look uber-macho. Ugh.
12. There’s plenty more, but that’s enough…
I have to say, the movie was an overall disappointment to me personally. As a vehicle to sell toys to kids, it was a smashing success. It was colorful, and it will certainly grab the attention of the kids, which really was it’s primary goal, and I’m happy about the prospect of a whole new generation of kids playing with Joes. But as a movie, it was a failure. For me, to see GI Joe changed from a military unit story grounded in realty to a futuristic superhero story, was very disappointing.It was too futuristic. It was too simplistic. It was too glossy and not gritty enough.
There were a few scenes where it was recognizably GI Joe, and very enjoyable –Scarlett on the motorcycle shooting a crossbow while Snake-Eyes hung on underneath Hummer is an example, and there were others. But for the most part, it felt like a dumbed down, glossed up, futurized, cartoony kids movie.
Was it fun? Kinda, it was fun in the same way the cartoon now is kinda fun, but if not for the nostalgia would be too corny to be enjoyable. For me, RoC was just too corny to be enjoyable, and because it's hardly recognizable as GI Joe, it doesn't have the nostalgia to help it along.
The old cartoon was over-the-top, colorful, dumb fun, but lacked the heart and the story the comic adaptation had. Unfortunately, RoC felt much more like the cartoon, and not at all like the comic, and that’s too bad.
Last edited by Derek2783; 08-08-2009 at 03:37 PM..
|08-01-2009, 12:41 PM||#2|
Iron Grenadier Sorcerer
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Silent Castle
I'm prepared also to admit if I've been wrong about pre-judging the film based on the weak material shown in the trailers.
I did really like that French scene.
Won't be long now.
By the way, words are good with Tabasco sauce.
|08-01-2009, 12:46 PM||#3|
Btchin RckStr Frm M.A.R.S
Join Date: Aug 2008
After reading the plot no I have not had a change of heart. It only enforces my opinion of the new movie.
|08-01-2009, 12:48 PM||#4|
Join Date: May 2008
Location: On break
My question to you is this, will you publicly apologize to those that you have argued with? Its not fun to eat crow but it does happen! You have been very steadfast in your argument to the point that if you admit you are wrong it puts the power into the hands of those that argued with you.
Are you adult enough to admit you are wrong. You yourself skirted around the very question you asked!
|08-01-2009, 12:51 PM||#5|
Join Date: Nov 2008
I planned on seeing the movie the first time I heard about it. As for the toys I said that I was not going to touch it, but found myself picking up a few.
|08-01-2009, 12:51 PM||#6|
Cranky Tanky Says So
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Topeka Kansas Blah!!
i think the new trailers and interviews have swayed people cause i am about to go off my rocker wating for the movie!!!! i am more pumped about this than transformers 2 i was like at first ya the first trailer looks ok but after all the updates and jaz cant wait!!
custom cast heads
|08-01-2009, 01:44 PM||#7|
Working 2 Pay My Joe Debt
Join Date: Sep 2008
|08-01-2009, 02:25 PM||#8|
Join Date: Oct 2008
From the first trailer to the first grainy pics of the new figures I was really hating the movie.
Like Halle Berry Catwoman hate.
I kept trying to get my mind around Baroness saying Snake Eyes "Gave up" When he was clearly on top of their truck.
So I figure OK I'm going to hate this movie.
I hated the look of the M.A.R.S debut pack. I really din't like the look of the figures. Their webgear and weaponry is what really turned me off.
As the hi-res pics started to roll out after Toyfair that I started to come around.
I really only wanted Helix, and PP SE.
Anyhow on the day of the toy release my curiosity got the better of me and I headed out to the TRU.
No Helix, No PP SE. Being that I cannot stand in front of full GI Joe pegs and not buy any (It is my gift, it is my curse),I bought two Koopa Troopers , an elite Koopa Trooper Commando, and Delta-6 Ripcord.
Soon after opening I was in love. The articulation was really good.
Hell, I only bought Ripcord because the head really does look like Wayans.
After that I made a big order; PP-SE, DA Scarlett, Helix, Sgt. Stone, Destro, Commando SE, Elite Koopa Trooper, and Shpwreck
Then I go to TRU for a price adjust for the sale and get Impact Armor HD, and attack on Pit Baroness. Plus two dollars back.
I'm really loving the figures. I'm actually pleased that do mix in OK with my 25ths.
Other than two headswaps I have been pretty pleased with the figures.
Soon after the full clips started to pop up here and other sites showing the proper edit of the Paris Pursuit scene clearing up the "he gave up" line being in it's proper place, with Snake on the road behind the truck.
Then the longer clip seeing Scarlett on the bike, I really started to warm up to the movie.
It starts falling into place in my mind.
It is totally GI Joe.
Cobra has a ridiculous superweapon, and the Joes must brave the fight in many different environments.
It's slowly buy surely won me over.
|08-01-2009, 02:26 PM||#9|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mega City
I am quite capable of eating my words if it comes to that. I did it when the first X-Men came out. And the second Batman (yes, I do hate the first).
TBQH, I actually want this to be a good movie!
|08-01-2009, 04:13 PM||#10|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mint on Card
But I never made an argument that I felt was inappropriate or uncalled for, never flamed anyone, and I don't think I should apologize for arguing a position that was and is legitimate. I made many arguments for my position. I don't think there are more than a very few instances where I argued with anyone, and usually it was because that person was being an ass, not because we had a difference of opinion.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Did someone say "S Words"?||Hawk 7222||G.I. Joe General Discussion||3||07-14-2009 07:39 PM|
|Roland's Die-o-Rama entry: Death Comes in Three Little Words||RolandofGilead||G.I. Joe Customs Contests||25||05-13-2009 11:57 PM|
|Your advice? Words of comfort?||Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja||General Discussion||26||05-07-2008 11:52 PM|
|Virginia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|The 461st Greatest G.I. Joe Character of all Time!|
|Texas (Northern) Sightings|
|New G.I.Joe 50th 2016 Assortment Discussion Thread|
|California (Southern, SoCal) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|modern styled tiger force SKYSTRIKER|
|Gi joe transformers crossover|
|Custom parts need/have thread|
|G.I. Joe 50th Anniversary Toys "R" Us Photo...|
|Custom Recon Glider by Foxtrot Delta|
|IDW Revolution Discussion...|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread|
|Official Cobra Command Recruitment Thread!!!!|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|Not Popular Enough|
|2016 Joes thoughts and favorites?|
|Georgia G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Ohio G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Movie Mashup Custom Series|
|TFCC GI Joe Crossovers Revealed|
|Texas (Southern) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Announcing Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel Legends...|
|Lt. Daina by Vanishing Point|
|Eagle Force returns|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Marvel Universe 3.75" figures|
|Kickstarter: Unrustable Bastards 'PowerMaster TFs'|
|Star Wars 3 3/4 discussion thread|
|Transformers Masterpiece Thread V2: A New...|
|Power Team Elite And True Heroes Discussion Thread|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Nightrattler Sell Page|
|FS: Vintage File Cards!|
|Roland's Buy/Sell List|
|Selling off a large amount of modern era joes &...|
|Fast_Draw's B/S/T thread|
|New 2016 Joes for trade|
|Cobra Commander PaintMaster on eBay|
|FS: 2009 Movie Cobra Commander w/ Hoses|
|POC Cobra Commander Test Shot w/ Hasbro Build Sheet|