TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > Yo Joe! > G.I. Joe Live Action Movie
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

Would you like Retaliation as much if you hadn't been so disappointed with ROC?

Reply Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

CliffSteele's Ebay Auctions
Would you like Retaliation as much if you hadn't been so disappointed with ROC?

I liked Retaliation even though it is not what I would call "a good movie." So why do I like it? Because I HATED Rise of Cobra, the writing team said early on that it would be more like the cartoon, and I realize that we're never going to get an IDW style G.I.Joe for adults type of movie as long as there is a toyline attached.

That being said, If ROC never happened, would you have liked the movie as much?

I don't think I would have. I think we've settled for less in the wake of disaster.
——.—..-.—.--..__.—..__.···.--.

CliffSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Counter Intelligence

I wouldn't have liked either one of them, irrelevant of either one's existence or not. A bad movie is a bad movie, and they both fit squarely into that category.

I was embarrassed for the casts of both movies throughout both movies.

Just like the Star Wars prequels (and Jedi,for that matter) - a shitty movie is a shitty movie. Doesn't matter what series it's in or who plays in it.

TheRealDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Metalhead Extreme

Send a message via MSN to Immortal_Joker Send a message via Yahoo to Immortal_Joker
I love Rise of Cobra but I dont HATE Retaliation I am just disappointed with how they treated the first movie just to appease the hardcore fanbase

Immortal_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Counter Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal_Joker View Post
I love Rise of Cobra but I dont HATE Retaliation I am just disappointed with how they treated the first movie just to appease the hardcore fanbase
In hindsight, RoC is definitely the better of the two. It's a much more competent blockbuster.

But they're still both embarrassing.

TheRealDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

CliffSteele's Ebay Auctions
I HATE to say it but ROC is a better movie in terms of cinematic storytelling. It tells a complete story. It's debatable whether or not that story is one of G.I.Joe but it's a complete story nonetheless.

Retaliation has more holes in it's plot than a pair of fishnet stockings. If you make the mistake of thinking about what you're watching, it actually brings up MORE questions than it answers. It has a couple of impressive action sequences and it looks and feels more like G.I. Joe but damn, is it stupid!

I think Hasbro needs to collaborate with someone on a GOOD animated series (not at all a knock on Renegades), build on that for a few years, then adapt THAT into a movie.

CliffSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ghost Ninja Killa

I wasnt disappointed in ROC, it wasn't good but i didnt think it was as horrible as some of you people think it is. I actually didnt flip out because CC wasnt CC until the end because, you know, the title says RISE OF COBRA.

Hell, after seeing Retaliation i say that ROC had a tremendously better depiction of CC. In Ret all that Cobra did was go, "I'm Cobra Commander, MWA AHAHAHHAH!!" Somehow Firefly had the idea that they needed a Commander yet CC didnt do ANYTHING. Zartan stole the show for me. That scene with the world leaders for me was THE SCENE of the movie. That scene came the closest to anything JOE in that whole movie. It was a 10 out of 10 show of super villainy.

Seriously... in ROC Cobra Commander WAS super evil, in charge, and had a plan. In this one he just walks around for a few seconds after that first escape scene. Ret did not need CC at all, he was there for no other reason than to sell a toy. And, yes, i know this thing is to sell toys but dont have the main bad guy do NOTHING.

Crazy Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Metalhead Extreme

Send a message via MSN to Immortal_Joker Send a message via Yahoo to Immortal_Joker
Gotta love the Doctor, admit the Doctor was AWESOME the way he played James till the end

Immortal_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cobra Viper

They both sucked
I found roc actually more entertaining.
Retaliation looked more "joe"

therealjondoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

I've enjoyed ROC and Retaliation.

slim19722 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Iron Grenadier

khill926's Ebay Auctions
I loved them both I go to movies for escapism and both movies were fun movies. And Tatum was much better as Duke in Retaliation. He actually sounded like a leader in this movie.

khill926 is offline   Reply With Quote