|04-22-2010, 09:47 AM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2010
(Note: This is reposted from my ROC Cover Girl thread)
I've gotten a lot of inquiries on how I paint faces. I won't be able to take pics as I work, but I hope a step-by-step guide helps. Here's how I do it:
- I make sure the face is clean.
- I apply a thin base layer of fleshtone, no primer. At times I'll use paint straight out of the bottle, other times I'll mix the paint myself.
- the paint is very diluted and several layers are built up to provide a very smooth finish without visible brushstrokes. This also ensures the details are not obscured.
- after an even base coat of fleshtone is done, I start working on the eyes. Using a very small brush (2/0) I apply a mixture of flesh, white and some gray for the sclera (the white part of the eyes).
- I then apply muted pink on the lower eyelids.
- I follow the shape of the eye, but even if I make mistakes it's ok since I paint the eyelashes on top of the sclera. The eyelashes define the shape of the eye.
- afterwards I paint the iris (the colored part) and the pupil. The iris should look like it's hanging from the upper eyelid. Again, any mistakes can be cleaned up by painting over the eyelashes.
- I then work on the eyebrows. Whenever possible I use the darkest part of the hair color.
- I then paint the lips. The lip color varies. I use whatever shade I feel would work best for the character.
- for Cover Girl, I added some rouge on her cheeks to make them look rosy. This also helps define the cheekbones.
- I keep a ready reservoir of the various paints that I use as I work. That way I don't have to keep mixing the colors, which could change.
- when painting likenesses, it helps to have pictures of the person as reference.
I hope this helps.
|04-22-2010, 09:51 AM||#2|
***** Enforcement Agent
Join Date: Jan 2009
...no id much prefer your skillset injected into my brain ;)
|04-22-2010, 10:07 AM||#3|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: texas and wiscounsin
impossible to me , i have no pulse at all my hands shakes like hell , gime me some maracas
|04-22-2010, 10:36 AM||#4|
Elevation: 945 ft
Join Date: Jun 2008
Thanks a lot for reposting this, Liquidisk. The detail and skill of your work is something to be admired!
Is there any way we might be able to talk you in to posting some pics of some of the steps for us visual learners? May sound silly but I find I have a lot more success when having a visual reference as well.
|04-22-2010, 10:54 AM||#5|
SlayerDave owner of SDS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Oh yeah even in Text form, this is awesome, and should help many out. a custom is often defined by the head, so taking the extra time on the head is a must. And LD hit right on the head, thin layers. always do the trick.
very cool of ya bro to post this.
|04-22-2010, 02:53 PM||#6|
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seagoville Tx
Awesome write up Liquid!
you do some amazing work man.
I came across a site with step by step with pics but I do not want to take away anything from you're posting so if anyone likes they can hit me up via PM and I will give you the link.
Much respect to you Liquid ;)
|04-22-2010, 02:56 PM||#7|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: formerly of Chile
|04-22-2010, 03:29 PM||#8|
Join Date: Apr 2008
Thanx for thgis this helps a lot... could you give us a pic of the brushes you're using?
|04-22-2010, 10:49 PM||#9|
Join Date: Feb 2008
Thanks for sharing your awesome painting techniques.
This will help many people here in the tank including me.
3 stars and a sun, REPRESENT!
|04-22-2010, 10:54 PM||#10|
Beard Force member.
Join Date: May 2009
Where do you live, so that I may instead steal your resevoir, and black market sell it here on the Tank.
That there is over one foot of phallic projectile hurt.
*As referred to world peacekeepers Howitzer*
Hey, I can DRAW! WOOOO.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Best technique for opening GI Joes?||Solid Sawyer||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||14||04-14-2010 10:59 PM|
|Painting tip help||bigdaddyblue73||G.I. Joe Customs Finished Projects||26||04-23-2009 12:35 AM|
|Painting help?||Honasty||G.I. Joe Customs General Discussion||6||02-13-2009 07:08 PM|
|"O" face Duke/Chrome face CC||samjjones||G.I. Joe Buy Sell Trade||1||12-29-2008 09:06 PM|
|Technique for Opening Joes to Preserve File Card||SurfViper||G.I. Joe Toys Modern & General Discussion||9||02-21-2008 11:01 PM|
|Short Track and Swampsmasher ATV|
|Official G.I. Joe Command Team Recruiting Thread!|
|2015 G.I.Joe Haul thread|
|Custom File cards|
|Joecon2016 June 16-19|
|Custom fss dice|
|concept art blowtorch by the odinson|
|NON-G.I. Joe Play Sets That Rock!|
|Mandalorian Jedi Hunter|
|Custom parts need/have thread|
|The Initiative UPDATED pg 3|
|California (Central) Sightings|
|G.I.JOE Battleground -ART|
|G.I. Joe Cobra World Order Prelude #1 Preview and...|
|Chickenbroth's Oktober Guard|
|Repacker Thread and Rants|
|Maryland G.I. Joe Sightings|
|What secrets lurk in the filecards?|
|California (Northern) G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Zombie Containment Chambers|
|What is the 81st greatest G.I. Joe vehicle or playset...|
|DO you think we will see character designs of the new...|
|Ohio G.I. Joe Sightings|
|Ice Cream Soldier (!!!)|
|Recent Off Topic Threads|
|Power Team Elite And True Heroes Discussion Thread|
|suggestions for non hasbro vehicles that fit gi joes|
|Why the thread delete?|
|The CORPS Megathread|
|Recent B/S/T Threads|
|Rolling thunder gantry|
|14 Sideshow G.I. Joes listed on ebay, starts tonight...|
|Joe trade for Motu|
|FREE 50th Spirit!!|
|Outback 2094's Trade List|
|$18 MGR Valkyries Kickstarter Figures w/Valhalla Bonus...|
|big boss's ebay 25th/modern sale!|