TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe Creative > G.I. Joe Customs General Discussion
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

Acrylic Color Mixing

Reply Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mayhem Customs Founder

iDzBowl's Ebay Auctions
Location: In my Xbox, because that's where all my friends live
Acrylic Color Mixing

Hey guys,

I'm still really new to the custom game, so help a brotha out. I've been buying paint like crazy, but I still can't get matches to a lot of my needs. I've read threads on here about what colors match which figure and vehicle, but that's not helping me. What I'm looking for is if anyone knows which colors to mix with other colors to make the color I'm after. I've tried mixing paint a couple times and it's turned out as a complete failure. The hobby store over here has limited colors and I don't have the patience to order online (especially if I can't see it first hand). So maybe there's someone that knows a link or has done this to get what they want.

The questions maybe you can answer:

How to lighten up a color without changing the color all together.
How to darken up a color without changing the color all together.
How to create a color out of two different colors, without wasting tons of paint.

For example, I have about 20 basic colors right now. I want to make lime green for something. I have a couple shades of green that aren't a match. Can I do anything to create the lime green without ordering it specially online?

Thanks guys!
——.—..___.__..___._..—.·.

iDzBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Beer Viper

lime green must be hot right now, i'm trying to perfect a shade too, lol.
so far i used some tamiya yellow, tamiya park green and a darker shade of citadel green, to get the shade right.

Crimson Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dreadnok

iDzBowl, what brand paints are you using? that can make a lot of difference in which colors you need to blend to get the desired color you're looking for.

as for your questions:
when i'm mixing colors, i use either a small palette (if i'm mixing a small amount) or an empty paint jar (for a large amount if i am covering a large area or a LOT of figures: like for an army).

to lighten a color, typically, use white. mix in VERY small amount of white to the color you want to lighten. just keep adding and mixing in small increments, until the color is bright enough. (you can also do the reverse and add a small amount of color to some white paint. this will get you a VERY bright/pale color).

to darken a color: you can use a similar approach except with black instead of white.

for mixing two colors: the EASIEST way to figure this out is to pick up a "pocket color wheel". those bad boys are invaluable!

GrapeSoda: i'm not procrastinating....i'm just lazy. oh...wait....
GrapeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dreadnok

derp!

as for mixing a lime green: i mix a bright yellow, with a grass green. sometimes i'll add a touch of white to get my color to look a little paler.

GrapeSoda: i'm not procrastinating....i'm just lazy. oh...wait....
GrapeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mayhem Customs Founder

iDzBowl's Ebay Auctions
Location: In my Xbox, because that's where all my friends live
I'm using Tamiya and Model Masters. Thanks for the replies guys.

iDzBowl is offline   Reply With Quote