I did take it apart. Its not a pain, but take your time. Plastic bins are your friend. I found little plastic bins are great for parts you aren't going to paint, want to protect, as well as storing screws. Loosing screws sucks.
The cockpit and windsheild front are "peg melted" into places. A little careful x-acto knife work and they are free. I just glued them back in place when I was done. Other than that it was pretty breezy.
Why they never made this back in the day is beyond me. Seemed like a natural choice but they gave it to the Joe team for Tiger Force instead. Go figure.
Looking at it now, I think my pp pattern may actually be a bit big, but considering what I actually chose as surface to do the pattern, it looks ok. If I ever do another I'll probably correct that.
Also, picked up masking tape (1/8") for the pattern. Its like $6 for a roll of 20 feet, and I used almost all of it up.