Vehicle Description: H.I.S.S. Mark V (Strategic Long Range Artillery Tank)
Tired of loosing valuable H.I.S.S Tanks to G.I. Joe attacks. Destro challenged his MARS Engineers to come up with a redesigned H.I.S.S. tank that could fire artillery from a long distance. In response to Destro's challenge the MARS Engineers came up with the H.I.S.S Mark V. Using scavenged parts from abandoned G.I. Joe vehicles left during some of their many battles, they combined the high speed of the H.I.S.S. tank the heavy artillery of one of G.I. Joes S.L.A.M. Artillery Cannons. The combination of these two vehicles makes the H.I.S.S. Mark V the deadliest of the H.I.S.S. Series tanks.
Links to Vehicle and Figure Pictures in my Customs Gallery (Pictures are also posted below)
Tank, Blue Print and Driver (Work in Process Pics): http://www.gijoetoybox.com/customs/m...g2_itemId=3207
This customs was actually started almost 3 years ago when I first started out customizing. My fabrications skills at the time were rudimentary at best back then so I didn't have quite the grasp on scratch building vehicles like I do today. There was alot of feedback that I got from 3 years ago that I have been wanting to put into this custom for quite along time. When I saw the post for the vehicle custom contest that was all the motivation that I needed to finally get this vehicle done the way I have always wanted it.
I had originally designed with just a Slam Turret ontop of a Snow Cat rear end. But after seeing the Turret the way it was, I really felt that the turret should not be an open air turret but more an enclosed Turret to protect the gunner, which I also see as a major in the original Hisstank Design. My first priority was to go about enclosing the Slam Turret to give it more of a tank turret type feel. After some very heavy moidifications and alot of grinding and sanding I came up with the turret you see on the Hisstank today.
My next big obstacle was extending the rear part of the snow rear end to make it a little bit longer than the turret above. The is was no easy task and it took me almost 3 tries before I finally found a combination of cut parts and parts from other vehicles that gave it a good look. The rear end is compreised of parts from the Battleforce 2000 Missile truck, MCC Upper Doors and some Vents I cut off of springloaded guns. After I had all the parts glue together I had to fill in all the joints and empty holes with green stuff and then sanded and ground down the other parts to make them all mesh well together.
Last but not least was something I have been wanting to do a Hisstank for quite some time now, Moving Hiss Tracks. While I appreciate the hard work that Hasbro put into molded tracks on the Original hiss I never really quite liked the look of them. To go with something that was not only functional and practical I used the bogey wheels and tracks off a PTE M1 Abrams tank, the bogey wheels took some effort to get mount and the way the tracks were made made it so that I could cut down the existing Abrams tracks to something that would fit my new design without to much of a problem. I decided early one that I wanted to keep the existing track design exactly the same as the original hiss tank because to me the track design is the Hisstanks most noticable feature. Once I had all the bogey wheels mounted and tracks attached, the next parts was to finish off the back where the tow was and then fill in the part between the tracks with the original middle of the sculpted hiss tracks. At first I thought this would be a simple cut job to get the Armor Plating cut up but I soon came to realize just how thick the plastic was that made up the sculpted Tracks. I was finally able to get the pieces cut out using a hack saw and some metal cutter and they I had to about scratch building the side piece of each box so that it would have some depth to it.
Once I had all the modification done the next part was probably the most fun for me. When I originally set out to redo this vehicle I didn't want to go with a plain old black paints job because to be honest the black is boring. I also decided that i didnt want to use an already existing camo scheme so I searched around the next for some photoshop designs I like. I finally came accross a patter I liked and with the help of a friend with photoshop he was able to overlay the design on to my primed vehicle which was the basis for the paint scheme you see on the vehicle.