TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > Non G.I. Joe > Comic Books Discussion
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

Marvel Now Discussion

Reply Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Marvel Now Discussion

Now that the mess that was X-Men vs Avengers is over...let's talk about Marvel Now.

I read Uncanny Avengers and Red She Hulk this week. I liked them both. R She Hulk is a decent enough super hero tale. I'll probably follow it here and there.

Uncanny was decent and sorta ho-hum until the bat #!@$# crazy ending. Who ever thought letting Remender have the big guns was was a good idea...was brilliant.
——.—..__.·.__..-.—._..__._.

Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Not The Sheriff Of

Troynos's Ebay Auctions
Marvel Now! is what DC's the New 52 should have been done.

All the books have a new feel to them. AvX (as much as it sucked) was a good even to launch a new line direction from.

You can create something new without starting completely over, like the New 52.

Troynos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troynos View Post
Marvel Now! is what DC's the New 52 should have been done.

All the books have a new feel to them. AvX (as much as it sucked) was a good even to launch a new line direction from.

You can create something new without starting completely over, like the New 52.
I agree. I think the New 52 has just been odd. I think Snyder/Capullo on Bats, Johns/Lee on JLA, Johns on GL, Robinson on JSA, Morrison on Action, Johns on Aquaman etc sells just as many books without the cluster !@E&** continuity. Put good creators on books and they sell. DC doesn't need some anal rule that shoe horns 17 Robins into 5 years or there are no superheroes prior to Superman or Wally West to be wiped from continuity to create user friendly books. It's not the continuity free universe selling the books, DC. It's the creators and characters.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Enemy Penetrator

I know this is the Marvel Now discussion thread, but since Troy brought up the New 52, I feel comfortable mentioning that I don't like Tim Drake's new origin.

Raw Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Dog View Post
I know this is the Marvel Now discussion thread, but since Troy brought up the New 52, I feel comfortable mentioning that I don't like Tim Drake's new origin.
Me either.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crimson Nerd

New 52 appears to have been a huge mess from an editorial and writing standpoint unless your last name is "Johns" or "Snyder."

Seriously, DC looks like they have no idea what they're doing.

Marvel NOW looks like a reasonable relaunch, and given the massive creative shifts coming along with it, feels warranted.

Jmacq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Enemy Penetrator

Not everything about the New 52 is that bad, but certain things aren't that good either. I'm just waiting for someone to figure out what happened during Flashpoint so they can set the aspects of it I don't like "right". As far as Marvel Now is concerned, I haven't read much of it yet, but I think I would have rather had Ultimate and regular Nick Fury trade places for a storyline reason than NF Jr. to have been created. Why do we need a new Nick Fury played by Sam Jackson when we already have one that kicks major ass waiting to be brought up to the big leagues?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm a tool.

Marvel Now has my attention. I avoided AvX because I don't like certain creators on it, plus it seemed like it was all fight and no substance. Bendis on multiple Avengers titles has gotten old. And as much as I love Brubaker's run on Cap, the title feels like its running out of steam. A creative shift was needed to energize the company. I'll be grabbing many of the #1s to try them out.

Conversely, DC is a giant mess. I have never been a huge DC fan but I've found Dan Didio's time as EiC or whatever his title is to be a failure. They've tried every gimick in the book to bring life back to that company and still get stomped by Marvel. I've throughly enjoyed Snyder & Capullo's Batman run. Not much else brought me to even look through a DC book.

BEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Enemy Penetrator

Aquaman is the best DC title IMO. According to my LCS, DC outsells Marvel but Marvel generates more $$$ at his shop because they cost more.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
New 52 appears to have been a huge mess from an editorial and writing standpoint unless your last name is "Johns" or "Snyder."

Seriously, DC looks like they have no idea what they're doing.
Pretty much my above point. The re-launch isn't selling books it's the creators. The re-launch/reboot is stupid. It makes no sense.

I'm excited about quite a bit of Marvel Now. I know I won't read everything I try, but I am excited. Bendis on Avengers had gotten old. Loved Bru on Cap and I think he is my favorite Cap writer of all time (though early Waid was awesome), but he looked like he just wasn't in to it anymore.