TFW2005HisstankThundercatsTokuNationToyark
Go Back   HissTank.com - G.I. Joe > Non G.I. Joe > Comic Books Discussion
Home G.I. Joe News Toy Database Forum Rules Register Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
G.I. Joe T-Shirts

Marvel Now Discussion

Reply Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #51 (permalink)
ndb
Jr. Chaplain

ndb's Ebay Auctions
Is Hawkeye a "dark" book? I can't say I'm a fan of darker stories like Uncanny X-Force. I like the more light hearted and fun books.
——.—..-.-.·..-.__.--..-.-.___.

Lead me to the cross
Where Your love poured out
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to You
Lead me, lead me to the cross
-Chris and Conrad

Looking for G.I. Joe graphic novels from all eras.

BST
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...-ndbs-bst.html
Feedback
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/buy-se...ml#post3291369
ndb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #52 (permalink)
I Brake For Asari!

Here's my abbreviated review..

Hawkeye #1-6

Hawkeye, where to start?

Hawkeye has heart. Something that seems to be lacking from a lot of today's books. Don't get me wrong some books are good, great even, but they are what they are. Some are "adult" titles, some are just all out action, and some are just too wordy--I'm looking at you Bendis Avengers. Hawkeye is a mixed-bag book. It has action, it has a bit of romance, it has humor, and it has---heart. I miss heart in comic books. It also isn't padded for TPBs.

This book is about style....style with substance. Artists Aja and Pulido are acquired tastes to be sure, but the page design, layout and color (by Hollingsworth) are splendid. The elements all work together, and just flow smoothly. Fraction also shows a firm understanding of Hawkeye and Clint Barton's voices, and they are basically the same. But this book is all about Clint Barton--which is awesome. This is about Clint Barton's life , and how Hawkeye (and to a greater extent Clint Barton) screws it all up continually. Clint is a man of excesses-he plays hard, he loves hard, lives hard, works hard, and even his kindness kills. Clint is dysfunctional at being Clint, but he has fun trying to be Clint. Think more Matt Helm than James Bond.

Now, we get to Kate Bishop. Kate is gonna be a star (go buy her first appearances now). Kate is impossible not to like. Fraction does a good job of balancing her personality, and never makes her feel uneven and inconsistent. She's just Kate, and you'll love her, because she's not Natasha-not Bobbi-- she's just Kate. Did I say Kate's gonna be a star?

Just waiting for Lucky the dog to get his spotlight issue.

Also, don't get me wrong this book has plenty of Hawkeye, but only just enough. This book is about Clint, and that's why it is so damn good. That, and because it has--Heart. The heart might just be a bit more purple than red though!

Yeah, this isn't a book by book review, but I don't wanna spoil.

pig iron grenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
ndb
Jr. Chaplain

ndb's Ebay Auctions
Hm, sounds interesting. I'm not a big hawkeye fan, but I did like Kate Bishop in Young Avengers.

What about Daredevil, Gambit, Captain Marvel, and Deadpool? I've heard mixed reviews on all of these except Daredevil.

Lead me to the cross
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to You
-Chris and Conrad

BST
Feedback

Last edited by ndb; 01-07-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #54 (permalink)
I'm a tool.

My brother-in-law has been on me to read Hawkeye. He raves about it whenever we talk comics. I'm disappointed I missed the first few issues so now I'll grab the trade at some point.

BEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #55 (permalink)
Not The Sheriff Of

Troynos's Ebay Auctions
Gambit isn't that good. Captain Marvel was okay, just read the first issue and the art turned me off it.

I'm not a Deadpool fan. Only Fabian Nicieza and Joe Kelly were ever able to write him properly.

Waid's Daredevil is good.

Troynos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #56 (permalink)
Crimson Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troynos View Post
Gambit isn't that good. Captain Marvel was okay, just read the first issue and the art turned me off it.

I'm not a Deadpool fan. Only Fabian Nicieza and Joe Kelly were ever able to write him properly.

Waid's Daredevil is good.
I love Waid's Daredevil. Also, too bad that they stopped the most recent run of The Punisher by Rucka. That is another fantastic comic that just ended.

BTW, Does anyone know if the Winter Soldier and Agent Venom (Flash Thompson) comics are good?

BOOMER SOONER!!!

G.I. Joe Battleground Invite ID : LPVsFM

Last edited by Starfighter; 01-07-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Starfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #57 (permalink)
I'm a tool.

I have enjoyed Winter Soldier. It has a similar feel to parts of Brubakers Captain America run. Guice's art is dark and gritty, and Brubaker is definitely at home writing espionage tails rather than straight up super hero adventures.

Never checked out Venom. Nice idea but nothing I want to spend $3.99 a month to follow.

BEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #58 (permalink)
Not The Sheriff Of

Troynos's Ebay Auctions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
I love Waid's Daredevil. Also, too bad that they stopped the most recent run of The Punisher by Rucka. That is another fantastic comic that just ended.

BTW, Does anyone know if the Winter Soldier and Agent Venom (Flash Thompson) comics are good?
Loved Rucka's Punisher, and I'm not a Punisher fan.

Brubaker's Winter Soldier was a good read, but his time on the book ends this month. The new writer, Jason LaTour, and artist, Nic Klein, take over next month.

Troynos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #59 (permalink)
ndb
Jr. Chaplain

ndb's Ebay Auctions
So Cable and the X-Force keeps getting better and better. Third issue and I'm hooked. FF and Fantastic Four are probably being dropped. Good books, but I can't say I like the direction and Id rather have that money for something else. Indestructible Hulk looks like it'll really pick up next issue, but I may drop it when Simonson shows up. He's a good artist, but it really belongs in a 90's comic book if it looks anything like teaser.

I finally found the Skottie Young Baby variant cover of Uncanny Avengers yesterday. Is the third issue of this series even out yet? It's pretty interesting although I personally think Red Skull should have died in the 60s and stayed dead.

And finally, I can't find a list of all the Marvel NOW Skottie Young covers. Does anyone have a list?

Lead me to the cross
Bring me to my knees
Lord I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to You
-Chris and Conrad

BST
Feedback

Last edited by ndb; 01-12-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #60 (permalink)
That's lo!

cable & x-force is surprisingly good- even though i HATE Dr.Nemisis' costume change (hey Doc- 90's Image Comics called and they want their look back!)

USAgent is offline   Reply With Quote