PDA

View Full Version : Larry Hama Interview - Answers To Your Questions!

Sergeant Major
05-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Below is a list of questions that were submitted to Mr. Hama.

Unfortunately, Mr. Hama is bound to many Non-Disclosure agreements, so many questions that were submitted could not be answered. These include questions on the upcoming Live Action Movie, along with the new comic series.

Regardless, HissTank.com would like to thank Mr. Hama for taking time out of his schedule to answer your questions. There's a reason that the man is a legend..and it's the little things like this that prove why.

So, with that said, on to the Q&A session!

-------------------------

HT: You've said that Snake Eyes and Destro and a few others were your favorite characters, but what were your favorite moments?

LH: The ones I got to draw: #21 and #26. I also liked the White Clown, the Blind Master and Billy.

HT: If the series hadn't been discontinued in the first place, where would you have liked to have gone with it?

LH: I have no idea. But, as I have said numerous times before, I never know where ANY given ISSUE is going until I get to the last page. This is why there were never any "coming attractions" or previews during the entire 151 issue run. The story development is up to the characters, not dictated by plot.

HT: What do you think of characters created by DDP such as the female Doc, Wraith, the Red Shadows and Scanner?

LH: I haven't read any of the DDP comics that those characters appeared in. I've never read any issues of Wolverine, Avengers or Batman after I stopped writing them. Most of my comics reading consists of going back over my Carl Barks collection. I am mainly a duck man.

HT: What is your personal favorite piece of work you have done?

LH: The Nth Man.

HT: Also, from where did you get the inspiration to write the creation of Cobra Island story-arc? It was my favourite as a child!

LH: The self-contained little island "kingdom" was a personal childhood fantasy of mine, so you might say that everything was already developed when I got to it.

HT: With the development of this property that you're so closely linked to as a big-budget blockbuster, and the impending rush of fanboys and their minutiae that it will bring, is there ever a point where you just feel like saying "Hey guys, they are just cool action figures, let's enjoy them for what they are"?

LH: But they're not just action figures to me. They are people I have known.

HT: Was there ever a time when a new character, vehicle, playset idea actually inspired your story in a new and better direction?

LH: Probably happened all the time. I can't remember specifics. If you held up figures and vehicles and playsets in front of me one by one, I could probably tell you some specifics, but the question is way too general.

HT: Given the extraordinary long legs of this particular property, what do you as a writer/creator do to keep your more recent contributions fresh and relevant?

LH: I don't do anything consciously. I don't have plans. I don't know what is on page two until I do page one. When editors ask me to plan out arcs, I get awfully unproductive for weeks. I try to explain that I can physically write two or three scripts in the time I would spend fretting over how to construct a four-issue arc (and I wouldn't be able to construct the arc in the end, anyway-- (the few times I was actually forced to do this, I couldn't stick to what I had planned out, because the characters wouldn't let me. They just want to go in their own directions.)

HT: Who would win in a fight, Bucky O'Hare or Snake Eyes?

LH: Two different universes. That's like putting The Beagle Boys up against Ming the Merciless.

HT: Did you ever think you would be still answering questions about G.I Joe 25 years later?

LH: No.

HT: While the story has taken a much more realistic turn, do you feel it has lost something in the process? Is a direction you would have ultimately ended up taking as well?

LH: What do you call realistic? What do you call adult?

I spent years trying to convince comic book editors that Michael Golden was a genius. They all kept saying he drew the heads too big, and his work looked too "cartoony." Marvel got tons of negative letters after the Afghanistan story in the second yearbook. I thought it was brilliant. The same people who didn't like Michael's work probably didn't care for Alex Toth either. As you can gather, i really get peeved when people throw around the word "realistic" in regards to comics.

HT: Are we going to see a 25th Anniversary Larry Hama figure? You deserve one.

LH: I hope not. I just retell and pass along the lore of soldiers. "Virtus est militus decus."

HT: Back in 1998, in a toyfare interview, Snake Eyes was ranked above Storm Shadow as one of your top 10 favorite characters. 10 years later, do you still like him better than Storm Shadow?

LH: In the comics I wrote, Storm Shadow was a more complex character. I am told that in the animated series (never saw an entire episode) he was just a one-dimensional bad-guy. Perhaps he doesn't travel well. I suppose, neither does Destro. I don't remember giving the favorite characters numerical preferences. If I did, it's because I frequently just make stuff up as I go in these interviews. Just like I am doing right now. (BTW, I am not being facetious here...)

HT: Which year do you feel produced the best batch of characters?

LH: Best? I try not to think of my friends in those terms...

HT: What are your thoughts on the fact that in the 80's the USA and Canada had the same exposure to the gi joe line (both had the exact same products at the same time), unlike today which is very limited in Canada.

LH: i wasn't aware of this until last month.

HT: Why did scarface (in the new comic pack) show up in a comic after he was already dead in the marvel run?

LH: Nobody is ever really dead in a comic. Wasn't Captain America found frozen in an iceberg? (Bucky STAYED dead, though...)

-------------------------

There you have it, Tankers!

Mr. Hama, our hats off to you, Sir! Thanks again!

xhairs
05-14-2008, 05:34 PM
thats a great interview.

swafus
05-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Hama is the man! and I love the answer he gave about these characters being "his friends". It's refreshing to see a creator that passionate about their characters. Many of the joe characters are based on guys that he served with in 'Nam (including Snake-eyes).
He is also dead right on the Michael Golden comment. The guy is amazing!
Good show Larry

Sergeant Major
05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Without going in to detail, I really enjoyed speaking with Mr. Hama. He's very straight forward (will tell you how it is, not how it might be).

I have a deep respect for the Gentleman and hope to have the opportunity to speak with him again.

It's not every day where you can "sit down" with the guy who shaped your imagination as a child (other than my Dad, of course).

artiepants
05-14-2008, 05:41 PM
HT: What is your personal favorite piece of work you have done?

LH: The Nth Man.
hell, yeah, as it should be. i won this off ebay a year or 2 back and was ASTONISHED how ahead of it's time it was. the first 4 issues are some of the best comics ever. (and i LOVE the cheeky character names.

HT: Why did scarface (in the new comic pack) show up in a comic after he was already dead in the marvel run?

LH: Nobody is ever really dead in a comic. Wasn't Captain America found frozen in an iceberg? (Bucky STAYED dead, though...)
apparently larry wasn't joking when he said he doesn't read other comics!
;)

artiepants
05-14-2008, 05:43 PM

absolutely!

RolandofGilead
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
HT: Was there ever a time when a new character, vehicle, playset idea actually inspired your story in a new and better direction?

LH: Probably happened all the time. I can't remember specifics. If you held up figures and vehicles and playsets in front of me one by one, I could probably tell you some specifics, but the question is way too general.

Nice to see my question asked. Too bad it got edited so much he couldn't answer it. I was trying to ask about Hasbro's influence on the comics in a positive way. I guess I won't be trying to do that again.

young1nj
05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
nothing at all about the movie due to disclosure reasons. If he didn't watch the cartoon, what makes you or I think he is going ot watch the movie. I hope hollywood doesn't butcher this too bad, I assume LH's no response on these is a way of saying he's not happy with it

shlappyguy
05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Cool interview. When I was a kid, I got to meet Mr. Hama at a comic shop signing and got a bunch of Joe comics signed. It is refreshing to see that he takes the characters so seriously-- a lot of creative people like to say that they don't.

I wonder if it's telling that Larry has a non-disclosure agreement that prevents him from talking about the new comic series-- I wonder if that means that he will be involved?...

USAgent
05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
very interesting read. thanks for the Q&A, hope to see some more in the future.

USAgent
05-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I hope hollywood doesn't butcher this too bad, I assume LH's no response on these is a way of saying he's not happy with it

I Hope not. Some creators/artists just seem to move beyond what they did in the past. hard to explain/describe, but what is a huge force in my life (my collecting, my memories, what I read/think etc.) is just something that this guy worked on and moved on from (like a normal person vs. a fanboy i guess)

Gung.Heaux
05-14-2008, 06:18 PM
bucky o' hare vs. snake eyes.........chirst...what a wasted question.

swafus
05-14-2008, 06:26 PM
bucky o' hare vs. snake eyes.........chirst...what a wasted question.

LOL yeah I was scratching my head on that one? That's right up there with what's your fav. ice cream flavor IMO.

Crimson Rage
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow, I've been saying how brilliant Mike Golden's art in Marvel annual #2 was for years (some of the best I've seen in Joe comics) but it always fell on deaf ears for the most part.

And would LH sign a "non-disclosure" agreement for the comic if he wasn't involved? Eh? Eh? (Or am I over analysing?)

Sergeant Major
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
LOL yeah I was scratching my head on that one? That's right up there with what's your fav. ice cream flavor IMO.

Awe c'mon, I thought it was a fun question. I think he didn't answer because he knows, deep down....Bucky would win. :D

tile_mcgillus
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
HT: With the development of this property that you're so closely linked to as a big-budget blockbuster, and the impending rush of fanboys and their minutiae that it will bring, is there ever a point where you just feel like saying "Hey guys, they are just cool action figures, let's enjoy them for what they are"?

LH: But they're not just action figures to me. They are people I have known.

Beautiful. That is a perfect way to sum up fanboy appreciation and why we are so adamant that these characters be treated right.

Vagabond Elf
05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
nothing at all about the movie due to disclosure reasons. If he didn't watch the cartoon, what makes you or I think he is going ot watch the movie. I hope hollywood doesn't butcher this too bad, I assume LH's no response on these is a way of saying he's not happy with it

I suspect all it means is that Mr. Hama is a professional who, when he makes a promise not to talk about something, honours that promise.

Lt. Faceless
05-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Great read.I have been try to get the guys a Heroes(local comic store)to get him to do a signing at the Hereos Con. for years.He does sound like a cool guy to chat with.

I'm curious,what does this mean....."Virtus est militus decus." I'm guessing its Greek?

Dark 5cythe
05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Huh. seems like a prick. Short concise answers. as if It was a bother to do the interview....

USAgent
05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm curious,what does this mean....."Virtus est militus decus." I'm guessing its Greek?

Latin. The closest I can come up with is... something like... "valor comes from honor" I could be way off... but there's not a dang yahoo translator that's working in my favor here :)

flash70
05-14-2008, 09:59 PM
bucky o'hara???

what the frack???

can we get some serious questions.

what a waste of Mr. Hama's time.

no wonder folks think we are goofy dumb geeks.

what a waste.

Counterpoint
05-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Huh. seems like a prick. Short concise answers. as if It was a bother to do the interview....

Now with this one I mean no disrespect to you, but that was way harsh ... if you knew Larry like I do, you would understand that's what he's like. He doesn't waste time on mamby-pamby answers that draw out to the point people become board, he says it like it is ... he's a no bulls#!& kind of person and that's what I like the most about him.

Again like I said, no disrespect to you, I just don't like it when people cut him down because his answers are too short.

And in regards to him being bothered to do the interview, he wasn't ... I have personally spend time on the phone talking with him and he is so forthcoming it's crazy - I remember talking with him about issue #21 and that was seriously a thirty minute conversation alone - the man takes the cake when it comes to being willing to talk with the fans about the characters they love.

Shin Densetsu
05-14-2008, 10:14 PM
Awe c'mon, I thought it was a fun question. I think he didn't answer because he knows, deep down....Bucky would win.
No Storm Shadow would. *twiddles fingers*

Shin Densetsu
05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
He is direct, straight to the point, which is good as opposed to mindless rambling and going off into tangents.

SSGWeaver
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I liked this interview, and after meeting him last year at Joecon in Atlanta, I understand his manner, he's actually a very nice man, very well mannered and warm and welcoming to fans, I gave him a Marvel Joe #1 to sign and he was happy! He said (with a big grin) "Haven't seen this in awhile." The pic is Mr. Hama and me at Joecon. (by the way that bookbag was full of Joes and I had emptied it in the hotel room once already!)

murphbri
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
For those that thought the Bucky O' Hare question was random, perhaps they didn't know that Larry created Bucky?

From reading many interviews with Larry over the years, I would say his style is definitely unique. He admits to making up answers on the spot in this interview, for example...

Oh, and Nth man is a mind-blower.

GI Joanne
05-14-2008, 10:27 PM
bucky o'hara???

what the frack???

can we get some serious questions.

what a waste of Mr. Hama's time.

no wonder folks think we are goofy dumb geeks.

what a waste.

Those are the questions he chose to answer.I think he could've picked way better questions to answer then those.I'm sure he gets tons of questions-why pick the lamest ones to answer?To me its all malarchy-why bother!

swafus
05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
For those that thought the Bucky O' Hare question was random, perhaps they didn't know that Larry created Bucky?

From reading many interviews with Larry over the years, I would say his style is definitely unique. He admits to making up answers on the spot in this interview, for example...

Oh, and Nth man is a mind-blower.

I'm fully aware of his involvement with Bucky o'hare. Still a total waste of a question.

Syn3sthesia
05-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the answers.

Roadblock Recall
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree, Bucky O'hare was a complete waste of his time and ours and of a meaningful question spot. It's not every day that we get a QnA with the guy. Not wasting time with goofy questions seems like such a no-brainer to me.

Those are the questions he chose to answer. I think it's more of a matter of that is the question our representatives chose to ask him.

InfiniteJest
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Classic Hama. Glad to hear from him.

In regards to the film... just speculating, but I don't think it means anything to him but a paycheck. They brought him in for a day out of respect, but in the end it's not Hama's GI Joe. The least he deserves is a nice fat check.

A.V.A.C.
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
great interview. his off the cuff and humble attitude is why i like hama. i haven't met many "famous" people in my life but hama is one of them. for some reason i was nervous when i met him last year. i think it was because he had such a profound impact on my life and others that i got kinda starstruck. he really is such a down to earth guy with a great sense of humor. his friends are mine!

Derek2783
05-15-2008, 12:15 AM
I agree, Bucky O'hare was a complete waste of his time and ours and of a meaningful question spot. It's not every day that we get a QnA with the guy. Not wasting time with goofy questions seems like such a no-brainer to me.

I think it's more of a matter of that is the question our representatives chose to ask him.

I think CIAD just threw it in there. I sincerely doubt it was a taken "spot".

BronxBomber
05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
I know I am new here but the interview seemed to be a complete waste. just an opinion.

Derek2783
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
I know I am new here but the interview seemed to be a complete waste. just an opinion.

Given that he can't talk about the movie or comic, what would you have liked him to answer?

BronxBomber
05-15-2008, 12:38 AM
i have not put much thoght into it. maybe more of specific storylines he came up with that he liked and did not like. maybe more in depth on the relationship with Snake eyes and storm shadow. those are two that pop out at me. what would you have asked him?

Kaisugi
05-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Wow! Very cool. Lot's of good information. Thanks for doing all this. It's a rare thing to get through to creators like this. I just had to clarify something about the question I posted.

HT: While the story has taken a much more realistic turn, do you feel it has lost something in the process? Is a direction you would have ultimately ended up taking as well?

LH: What do you call realistic? What do you call adult?

I spent years trying to convince comic book editors that Michael Golden was a genius. They all kept saying he drew the heads too big, and his work looked too "cartoony." Marvel got tons of negative letters after the Afghanistan story in the second yearbook. I thought it was brilliant. The same people who didn't like Michael's work probably didn't care for Alex Toth either. As you can gather, i really get peeved when people throw around the word "realistic" in regards to comics.

um...Sorry, I kinda feel bad about this, cause I think that was my question. But it's nothing like I thought I was asking. The last thing I wanted was to get him "peeved!" And what does he mean by "adult?" Was there some lead in to the question that is not typed here? Here is my original question.

"If you had the choice of writing an on-going comic, would you pick up with the story as it is now? Or would you reset the series to a situation more of your choosing?
To that end: How do you feel about the various deaths in the story line of late? ie: Lady Jaye, Cobra Commander's son, and endless civilians. While the story has taken a much more realistic turn, do you feel it has lost something in the process? Is a direction you would have ultimately ended up taking as well?"

I was asking about the serious tone of the current book, with the deaths of some main characters and also the deaths of many civilians. This kind of dark atmosphere didn't really exist in the Marvel books. I wasn't saying that the old books were infantile or pedantic or anything like that. Nor was I saying the art was lacking in quality or realism. I was simply saying by "realistic" that in war millions of innocents die horribly and pointlessly. And now we've got that in the comic. That's all I meant. Having that kind of dark overtone to the book is, while a realistic aspect of war, something that was not in the old books. I just want to clear up that I respect the old books, and Hama's work, and was not intending to look down on his work. Thank you for asking my question, seriously, and without any sarcasm - I appreciate the chance! I just think something got lost along the way. Or maybe I can't write questions very well. Either way, I just had to hash this out. Thank you all for reading my stupidly long post.

Thanks again to Mr. Hama, and to the staff at Hisstank for the interview!

BronxBomber
05-15-2008, 12:50 AM
well that actually makes sense if that was your intent concerning the question

evopete
05-15-2008, 01:12 AM
I never new that Larry H served in the War..... It explains why he is so passionate about the characters and why he could never RANK his friends......All of them must have been special, and we should thank those who did serve in the war and were the basis of Mr Hama's creations....

VIPER 48
05-15-2008, 03:46 AM
That was nice of him to answer a bunch of questions for us. Thanks Mr. Hama...

Sergeant Major
05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
***EDIT***

I'd rather use this post to ask a question of all the people that feel this was a "waste of time":

#1 What would "you" have asked that isn't directly related to the Movie and/or upcoming comic that hasn't been asked 34875348975893454 & 1 times before on other boards?

Remember, it was mentioned to "you" several times that questions regarding the upcoming movie and comic may not be answered. Many of you decided to disregard the advice given and ask questions about the movie & comic regardless.

If anyone wasted time....it's "you". Don't complain about the bed "you" made for yourself.

Dream
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I think it is awesome that you guys got him to answer a few questions from the fans!
You guys went above and beyond yet again!
I too would like to hear a few questions that the people that are complaining would have asked?

Sergeant Major
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the positivity, Dream! That's why I love ya, man! :salute

Compulsive Collector
05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
It's not every day where you can "sit down" with the guy who shaped your imagination as a child I had an opportunity to have a brief conversation with him in Atlanta last year. There was no one else in line when I went to get a book signed, so I got to pick his brain for a couple of minutes. Definitely an experience I'll never forget.

I'd rather use this post to ask a question of all the people that feel this was a "waste of time": Man, I wouldn't even bother. Some people just have to complain all the time about everything. Personally, I enjoyed reading it, and I thought the Bucky O'Hare reference was a killer. Good job.

Dream
05-15-2008, 12:06 PM
It was fun, I really did like the fact that the questions were not all Joe related.
The man has done more than G.I. Joe, even if a few people here didn't know.
We should have a thread about him, so those of us here who don't know him outside of G.I. Joe can learn more about him!

artiepants
05-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Wish i'd thought of too come up with something good to ask him about Nth Man.

the most interesting thing i got out of that was that characters were based on soldiers he knew in 'Nam, i'd never heard that before. I also didn't know that Larry created Bucky O'hare (honestly, i barely remember that, was it kind of a TMNT type of thing? was it a cartoon, comic, toys)

Dream
05-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Bucky O'Hare is a fictional character, created by comic writer Larry Hama between 1978 and 1979, who was the eponymous hero of a comic book series, as well as a number of spin-offs, including a TV series and various toys and games.

There ya go!

Tomax & Xamot
05-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Awesome Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Thank-you!!! :D

Sergeant Major
05-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I had an opportunity to have a brief conversation with him in Atlanta last year. There was no one else in line when I went to get a book signed, so I got to pick his brain for a couple of minutes. Definitely an experience I'll never forget.

That would be awesome. I'll tell ya this...I was happier than an 8 year old at Christmas when I saw the name "Larry Hama" in my e-mail inbox! :D

Man, I wouldn't even bother. Some people just have to complain all the time about everything. Personally, I enjoyed reading it, and I thought the Bucky O'Hare reference was a killer. Good job.

You're right. It just bums me out that people are so negative all.the.time.

I'm a fan (and a dork) before I'm a Mod/Staff Member, so of course I was bummed that we didn't get any movie/comic answers. In the same respect though, It pisses me off that people will just complain rather than offer a solution (ie - "interesting" questions for next time around).

It was fun, I really did like the fact that the questions were not all Joe related.
The man has done more than G.I. Joe, even if a few people here didn't know.
We should have a thread about him, so those of us here who don't know him outside of G.I. Joe can learn more about him!

That's a great idea, Dream!

Dream - Question for ya: Would you like to Champion a Larry Hama thread?

Roadblock Recall
05-15-2008, 01:54 PM
What would "you" have asked that isn't directly related to the Movie and/or upcoming comic that hasn't been asked 34875348975893454 & 1 times before on other boards?

Oh I don't know...maybe something GI Joe related?

I didn't post any questions of my own, because frankly I didn't have any to ask (don't really care about his inspirations, favorite characters, or whatever). But I did read several of the questions that members did submit which were not used and were relevant to GI Joe yet not about the upcoming movie or comic. As far as relevancy to the GI Joe community, the Bucky question is on the same level of asking him what his favorite ice cream flavor is or if he prefers boxers or briefs.

The rest of the interview was very interesting though. Kudos to everyone involved in making it happen.

Dream
05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Oh I don't know...maybe something GI Joe related?

I didn't post any questions of my own, because frankly I didn't have any to ask (don't really care about his inspirations, favorite characters, or whatever). But I did read several of the questions that members did submit which were not used and were relevant to GI Joe yet not about the upcoming movie or comic. As far as relevancy to the GI Joe community, the Bucky question is on the same level of asking him what his favorite ice cream flavor is or if he prefers boxers or briefs.

The rest of the interview was very interesting though. Kudos to everyone involved in making it happen.

But the point is that there is more to him than just G.I. Joe, and the Bucky question was funny and hip.
Besides, now he knows the people at Hiss Tank know him for things other than G.I. Joe!

Sergeant Major
05-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Sorry, next time I won't try to think outside of the box and get to know the man who created the Mythos that we all follow so closely.

Next time, I'll ask him if he's a scalper or if he bends cards. That should make everyone happy.

Roadblock Recall
05-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Next time, I'll ask him if he's a scalper or if he bends cards. That should make everyone happy.

LOL...smartass

I could see it now..."Mr. Hama, have you ever bent action figure cards to keep a scalper's greedy mits off of your Joes?"

He'd probably end the interview right then and there and boycott Hisstank from then on. lol

Shin Densetsu
05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey what Batman issues did he write?

Dream
05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Don't know, I do know he wrote Batman in 2000!

Shin Densetsu
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM
LOL...smartass

I could see it now..."Mr. Hama, have you ever bent action figure cards to keep a scalper's greedy mits off of your Joes?"

He'd probably end the interview right then and there and boycott Hisstank from then on. lol
From an old interview I read, he actually gave away his joes to his nephews.

Compulsive Collector
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
That would be awesome. I'll tell ya this...I was happier than an 8 year old at Christmas when I saw the name "Larry Hama" in my e-mail inbox! :D You know, that's exactly how my girl described the expression on my face when I was talking to him.

You're right. It just bums me out that people are so negative all.the.time. I know how you feel, and it's just been increasing exponentially since the beginning of the year.

I'm a fan (and a dork) before I'm a Mod/Staff Member, so of course I was bummed that we didn't get any movie/comic answers. In the same respect though, It pisses me off that people will just complain rather than offer a solution (ie - "interesting" questions for next time around). Well, placating a bunch of fans (and dorks) on the internet just isn't worth getting sued, which is exactly what would happen if he violated any NDAs.

Next time, I'll ask him if he's a scalper or if he bends cards. That should make everyone happy. Ha!

Hey what Batman issues did he write? Batman 575-581
Legends of the Dark Knight 121-122
Shadow of the Bat 90
Batman: Toyman 1-4
Detective Comics 736

Some of his stories are collected in volumes 3 and 4 of the Batman: No Man's Land TPBs.

Dream
05-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Next time, we ask about Welcome Back Kotter, and ask him for some behind the scenes tales from when he was on MASH!

artiepants
05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Batman 575-581
Legends of the Dark Knight 121-122
Shadow of the Bat 90
Batman: Toyman 1-4
Detective Comics 736

did you like 'em? i've heard from folks that liked his Wolverine run (which was great IMO) that his Batman run was, well, not very good.

Compulsive Collector
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
did you like 'em? i've heard from folks that liked his Wolverine run (which was great IMO) that his Batman run was, well, not very good. I like everything I've ever read that Hama wrote, including all the G.I. JOE issues, every Batman story, every Wolverine story, and every Punisher story. There are a lot of books I've never read, just because I was never as into Marvel superheroes as I was into DC, but I pick up anything I see with his name on it when I go to conventions.

So yeah, I liked his Batman run, but I like stuff that a lot of "fanboys" don't. For instance, I've loved every panel of All-Star Batman And Robin The Boy Wonder, but most people who discuss it on the internet loathe the title.

minstrelboy
05-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Hama is the man! and I love the answer he gave about these characters being "his friends". It's refreshing to see a creator that passionate about their characters. Many of the joe characters are based on guys that he served with in 'Nam (including Snake-eyes).
Good show Larry

As a kid and compulsive doodler, Michael Golden was my FAVORITE artist. Still is, comic book-wise. The artwork for the second yearbook by Golden was just amazing - I read that over and over until the cover fell to pieces. Matter of fact, I just picked up some old copies of The 'Nam yesterday, because I loved those as well. Anything Golden did was awesome. I still sometimes look at those, just for the artwork. He influenced my style a lot. Him and Jamie Hewlett.

swafus
05-15-2008, 06:45 PM
As a kid and compulsive doodler, Michael Golden was my FAVORITE artist. Still is, comic book-wise. The artwork for the second yearbook by Golden was just amazing - I read that over and over until the cover fell to pieces. Matter of fact, I just picked up some old copies of The 'Nam yesterday, because I loved those as well. Anything Golden did was awesome. I still sometimes look at those, just for the artwork. He influenced my style a lot. Him and Jamie Hewlett.

If you haven't already, you should check out his work on Savage Tales from '85-'86. I bought the whole run for my brother (who's a tattoo artist) for X-mas. He keeps him in his shop and has given over 25 tatt's from panels/covers of that series. It's good reading too, alot like Heavy Metal Magazine.

Dark 5cythe
05-15-2008, 08:28 PM
He is direct, straight to the point, which is good as opposed to mindless rambling and going off into tangents.

Its a disapointing interview. No fun facts, no humor just dry and to the point. no cool information. Jeez guys who chose these questions? He picked em? yeesh.

I still dont get the fascination with this guy.

Sergeant Major
05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
D5, read the entire thread from beginning to end.

He didn't pick them. We submitted quite a few questions. He couldn't answer many questions relating to the new comic and the new movie. As such, what is listed is what was left out of what was submitted.

Dammit man. keep up! lol :D

Dream
05-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Its a disapointing interview. No fun facts, no humor just dry and to the point. no cool information. Jeez guys who chose these questions? He picked em? yeesh.

I still dont get the fascination with this guy.

It wasn't Hiss Tank comedy hour! It was let's ask a few questions to the man who basically gave life to the G.I. Joe characters we all know and love.
Do your homework dude before you post man.
Seriously.

Elite Force Cobra
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
how long will the after 25th line continue for?? thats what i wanna know like what series are they gonna stop on i hope they keep going :)

young1nj
05-16-2008, 02:33 AM
is there such as a bad interview with LH, he answered all the questions he could excluding those about the movie because he probably had too.

I think its awesome he answered questions for us at the hisstank, do you think he does this for every gi joe related website out there?

good job people way to get an interview with LH.

Dark 5cythe
05-16-2008, 03:47 AM
D5, read the entire thread from beginning to end.

He didn't pick them. We submitted quite a few questions. He couldn't answer many questions relating to the new comic and the new movie. As such, what is listed is what was left out of what was submitted.

Dammit man. keep up! lol :D

Dude the thread is like 9 million pages lol I cant keep up with you people. Ah. I didnt know he was asked movie and new comic stuff.

How many q's were submitted? I do think its cool that so he interviewed for the Hisstank and it seems to make a whole lot of you happy so congrats. I guess I just dont understand cuz im a

Cartoon first fan. I didnt read Joe comics till DD started. I have the 1st 5 marvel comics but it just seemed so different from the cartoon that i couldnt get into it. That first version of the joe team wore more green than the Ninja turtles.

LAMPREYS
05-16-2008, 04:18 AM
Good interview Larry!

Stormavik
05-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Very Nice Interview!

Onslaught Six
05-22-2008, 12:15 PM
My reason for being disappointed is there's no real anecdotes. There's nothing *new* in this interview. Sure, it gives us some insight into Larry Hama as a guy...but I don't care about him, I care about what he produced.

When I read an interview with someone, I'm looking for something that's going to be truly new, unique and 'interesting.' The question about toys inspiring something newer in the comics was great, but he answered it...well, pretty much like shit.

The kind of stuff I want is more along the lines of, "Well, see, originally Snake Eyes was going to be a Cobra traitor and that's why he has Snake in his name, but Hasbro thought that sucked." or something like that. *That's* interesting and new and provides new insight on old material. (Come to think, why didn't I think of asking that? Damn.)

Derek2783
05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Sure, it gives us some insight into Larry Hama as a guy...but I don't care about him, I care about what he produced.

Which is why you didn't like the interview.

Roadblock Recall
05-22-2008, 12:51 PM
The opinion answers were nice and interesting. About the only response I didn't like from Hama was about the new comic where Scarface was in it but he's actually dead in that point of time. Seems like he just dodged the question with a lame excuse. I would have respected him more if he would have just said something like "both chararacters from the comic pack needed to be featured in the same comic book, the existing storylines would have made it impossible, so we cheated a little bit."

Rockshield
05-26-2008, 07:17 PM
WOW! Im sorry I missed this thread until now. Always love Larry... if it wasn;t for him I am sure G.I. Joe would not have been half of what it turned out to be. My favorite part of the convention last year was getting to meet him.