PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Official Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

NSA
02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Holy Lord in Heaven, hallow be thy name!

YouTube - Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Official Gameplay Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjqsYzBrP-M)

This will get me off toys/collecting/work/children for a good 5 months at least.

I *can * NOT * wait. This looks amazing, AMAZING. Better than amazing.

Perfect trailer too.. awesome music.. I though the teaser was good.. but this.. this is...

SKYRIM! (http://www.elderscrolls.com/)

http://www.gamersmint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Elder-Scrolls-Skyrim-Leveling1.jpg

Talisman
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Spells look more catastrophic, finishing moves, overall more visceral combat... and OH MY GOD I THINK WE'RE GETTING BACK DUAL-WIELD.

MeLikeJinx
02-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I never played any Elder Scrolls games... not even Morrowind or Oblivion, but watching that made me crap myself. LOL. If that is actual gameplay footage of the dude hunting in the forest, the game engine looks pretty darn amazing IMO. May have to give this one a try.

NSA
02-24-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah.. and word is that was all on the Xbox 360 version to boot!

Oh man I can. not. wait.

Talisman
02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
There is only one thing that can make this game even more awesome: Compatability with CS mods. If they do that, I may have to take off my BioWare hat.

NSA
02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
The new mod tools for skyrim sound amazing!

Troynos
02-26-2011, 12:22 AM
That looked cool.

NSA
03-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I never get tired of this trailer! mmmm

boff123
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Spells look more catastrophic, finishing moves, overall more visceral combat... and OH MY GOD I THINK WE'RE GETTING BACK DUAL-WIELD.

yes there is dual wielding. you can even have 1 magic arm, 1 sword/axe arm. or both magic or both sword or 1 sword 1 shield.

Primo_Baddest
03-30-2011, 04:30 PM
cant wait for this

NSA
03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
I can't wait.

Watched the trailer again.. ahhh shivers.

This is literally going to encompass my entire winter.

Talisman
03-30-2011, 07:53 PM
I can't wait.

Watched the trailer again.. ahhh shivers.

This is literally going to encompass my entire winter.

Dammit, NEED MORE MONEY!

NSA
03-30-2011, 07:57 PM
You have time man, save it up like a chipmunk in Fall.. so you can relax during winter slaying dragons :)

Talisman
03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
You have time man, save it up like a chipmunk in Fall.. so you can relax during winter slaying dragons :)

But then how will I be able to afford a flight of Skystrikers and Mass Effect 3?!

NSA
03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
There's always.. [enter illicit activity here]. Pays well, but you gotta live with it.

Is Mass Effect 3 this holiday as well? I remember seeing the trailer but not a date.. sheesh, that's gonna be hard. I really want to see how that plays out too.

That's it, lets get to cloning ourselves. It's the only way to be sure.

Talisman
03-30-2011, 08:35 PM
There's always.. [enter illicit activity here]. Pays well, but you gotta live with it.

Is Mass Effect 3 this holiday as well? I remember seeing the trailer but not a date.. sheesh, that's gonna be hard. I really want to see how that plays out too.

That's it, lets get to cloning ourselves. It's the only way to be sure.

That's the word from BioWare. Holiday 2011.

Trust me, cloning won't help unless you can recombine yourself with the clone and absorb its memories. Plus last time I tried, all I got was a pile of deformed flesh that had intelligence equal to that of a toddler.

pig iron grenadier
03-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Is this still first person view? Cause I can't deal with that....

NSA
03-30-2011, 09:19 PM
The last two (Morrowind and Oblivion) have had first and third person view-points... I'm pretty sure this one will as well :)

manicmotive
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Well, I know what I'm gonna be doing to ring in the new year.

Tanksmasher
03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Looks sweet. Too bad I gave up video games.

NSA
03-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Looks sweet. Too bad I gave up video games.

This game is going to get me to give up toys again :D

MeLikeJinx
06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
From E3: YouTube - ‪Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Xbox 360 Gameplay‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIQ4auNldw)

You can play in 3rd person! Yes. I like to just walk around in 3rd person, then switch to 1st person to fight.

Talisman
06-06-2011, 09:57 PM
From E3: YouTube - ‪Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Xbox 360 Gameplay‬‏ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIQ4auNldw)

You can play in 3rd person! Yes. I like to just walk around in 3rd person, then switch to 1st person to fight.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/Cyent1/mother_of_god.jpg

NSA
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Cant wait. 11.11.11.1.1.11.1.1.1111111 ahhhh.

MeLikeJinx
11-03-2011, 01:06 AM
So like... I heard in the game... you can choose your companion and she might fall in love with you and you can get married and stuff. Also heard there are dragons. LOL.

Weapon XIX
11-03-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the 1st person view - feels very claustrophobic to me. The 3rd person view in Oblivion was very clunky, but it looks great in Skyrim. Also I just watched the opening 20 minutes of the game and that got me pretty excited so I pre-ordered and can't wait to play.

Black Llama
11-03-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a long weekend from work scheduled around this release. Cannot wait for 11.11.11. I loved ES3, Oblivion.... eh not as much. This looks stellar though. I have my preorder in with Amazon (you get a 10$ gift card from them). Which reminds me I need to cancel my gamestop one....

SVT_COBRA
11-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I bought Oblivion from the WM bargain bin and I absolutely cannot get into it. Which is weird because I loved Fallout. I only bought it because Skyrim looked so good, but now Im not sure Ill pick it up.

nerdsgetchicks
11-08-2011, 08:13 AM
I will be at Gamestop at 12:01 am to get my PC copy!!!!

nerdsgetchicks
11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
How to steal in Skyrim - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rt5aUdijAN8)

Great video!! LMAO!!

MeLikeJinx
11-11-2011, 04:32 PM
^ That's pretty damn funny. LOL.

Black Llama
11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm just waiting for work to end so I can get into this game..... Come on 5pm!

nerdsgetchicks
11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm just waiting for work to end so I can get into this game..... Come on 5pm!

I know!!!! AHHHHHHH

nerdsgetchicks
11-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Is anyone else finding the lack of PC controls frustrating? It is geared to 360 controller. I can deal with it but I hate the dumb downed console feeling.

Cloud Strife
11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
This game is frickin' sweet!

I fought a Dragon Priest, Krosis, last night and it was one heck of a battle. I had to chip away at him with my bow and arrow as he was doing way too much damage up close. Pretty cool loot though.

drunknmunky
11-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Ok the only RPG I've really played is Final Fantasy 7. This game looks incredible but I'm not sure about if I'd like it or not. Can someone explain what the game is like and if a non RPG player might enjoy it. Thanks in advance.

Black Llama
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Ok the only RPG I've really played is Final Fantasy 7. This game looks incredible but I'm not sure about if I'd like it or not. Can someone explain what the game is like and if a non RPG player might enjoy it. Thanks in advance.

Well, it's not FF7, or 8, 9 or 10 for that matter. Elder Scrolls (well since Morrow wind) has been a unique type of RPG. If you like quests, stories and dialog, it's an excellent game. People complain about the combat, as it's not turned based. In other words, you won't select FIRE, pause, select your target, hit confirm and wait for the results. In Skyrim you equip a weapon (or spell, or shield, bow...) to either hand and use them independently.

There is a main quest, which you can follow. But there are also a TON of side quests, caves and dungeons to explore and land to roam. It actually feels vast, as it can take you an actual hour (not a game hour, a real hour) to walk from point a to point b. Rent it, if you like it, buy it.

Alyosha
11-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Anyone else playing? It's the tits!

drunknmunky
11-16-2011, 07:04 AM
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/video-games/97049-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-official-thread.html

nerdsgetchicks
11-16-2011, 07:14 AM
Anyone else playing? It's the tits!

It is all kinds of AWESOME!!!

Weapon XIX
11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Note for PS3 players - you CAN roll more than 1 character at a time, but you have to create new saves! When you start a new character all your autosaves get erased. And if you just started saving over autosaves - those get erased, too. But if you start new save files, those will still carry over if you decide to roll a second character.

I found this out the hard way when Imperial warrior was erased when my gf started her spellcasting Breton. (To be fair it was my fault. I got her interested in the game and started a new game for her thinking my saves would still be there. But since I had only ever saved over an auto-save file, poor Arturius was lost the moment that new game was started.) Thankfully it was in the very early goings - hadn't even hit level 10 yet, but it was very unexpected.

Now that's out of the way...

This game is awesome! I'm loving the depth and the freedom of it all. I'm playing in 3rd person view and the animations are greatly improved over those of Oblivion. And even in 3rd person you can still get jumped out of nowhere - damn sabertooth cats scared the bejeezus out of me. Also I can't wait til I'm at a level where I can actually stand a chance against those damn giants.

drunknmunky
11-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Well, it's not FF7, or 8, 9 or 10 for that matter. Elder Scrolls (well since Morrow wind) has been a unique type of RPG. If you like quests, stories and dialog, it's an excellent game. People complain about the combat, as it's not turned based. In other words, you won't select FIRE, pause, select your target, hit confirm and wait for the results. In Skyrim you equip a weapon (or spell, or shield, bow...) to either hand and use them independently.

There is a main quest, which you can follow. But there are also a TON of side quests, caves and dungeons to explore and land to roam. It actually feels vast, as it can take you an actual hour (not a game hour, a real hour) to walk from point a to point b. Rent it, if you like it, buy it.

It sounds awesome and looks awesome. However I've never played any of the other ones. Would you recommend this game to a first time player?

bluebikerboy1
11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
HELP!!!!!

I got the ps3 version.

so my question is this.
I want to do one of the mini missions, i select it on my mission screen.
how the f**k do i find it on my map so i know where I am supposed to go. in oblivion an arrow showed up telling you were to go. I cant find the arrow.
what am i missing?
I read somewere on the pc you have to go into settings and turn something on. is this accurate and if so what is it called on the ps3 and where do i find this alleged setting?

Thank you

Black Llama
11-17-2011, 01:24 PM
HELP!!!!!

I got the ps3 version.

so my question is this.
I want to do one of the mini missions, i select it on my mission screen.
how the f**k do i find it on my map so i know where I am supposed to go. in oblivion an arrow showed up telling you were to go. I cant find the arrow.
what am i missing?
I read somewere on the pc you have to go into settings and turn something on. is this accurate and if so what is it called on the ps3 and where do i find this alleged setting?

Thank you

You have to make it your active quest.

Press start, looking at your quests there is a little skyrim Icon next the ones that are active. Make sure these are all off except the Misc. one. Then, go to your misc. quests and make sure that the one you want to work on is marked as well. Now, back to the game, see the little compass type thing on top? Keep going in the general direction of the sky rim icon. You may want to check your larger map, as sometimes the misc. quest locations are WAYYYYYYYYYY far away from where you are.

Black Llama
11-17-2011, 01:25 PM
It sounds awesome and looks awesome. However I've never played any of the other ones. Would you recommend this game to a first time player?

I always say, rent first if your unsure. I'm almost positive you'll like it, but don't blow 60$ when you could get it from Red Box or somewhere similar.

bluebikerboy1
11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
so there are 2 screens i need to go into to make this an active quest?

Troynos
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
I have all the Dragon Age 2 DLC I have to finish up before can start a new game.

Black Llama
11-17-2011, 02:12 PM

It's on the same screen. You just have to make sure that Misc. Quests are active (think of this as the overall quest) and then whatever individual quest you are working on is active as well.

Weapon XIX
11-17-2011, 03:03 PM

At the Quest menu you have to first make Misc. active then go through the list and activate the individual quest. Then deactivate the main quest and use clairvoyance as your guide (you don't have to deactivate the main quest, but if you have 2 quests active the clairvoyance spell tends to lead to the one you're closest to, which can be tricky when two of those destination points are relatively close to one another).

I just want to say that while the first piece of property is really expensive (5,000) it's totally worth it to help unburden yourself of those pesky items that are heavy but you're not ready to unload - I'm looking at you, every book I've picked up.

Weapon XIX
11-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Damn, some of these dungeons are huge! I was in Forelhost last night for a really long time - it just kept going on forever.

bluebikerboy1
11-19-2011, 06:05 PM
You have to make it your active quest.

Press start, looking at your quests there is a little skyrim Icon next the ones that are active. Make sure these are all off except the Misc. one. Then, go to your misc. quests and make sure that the one you want to work on is marked as well. Now, back to the game, see the little compass type thing on top? Keep going in the general direction of the sky rim icon. You may want to check your larger map, as sometimes the misc. quest locations are WAYYYYYYYYYY far away from where you are.

It's on the same screen. You just have to make sure that Misc. Quests are active (think of this as the overall quest) and then whatever individual quest you are working on is active as well.

ok i got it figured out finally, thank you for the help :)
btw what can you do with embalming tools?

Alyosha
11-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Just got lvl 100 in smithing early yesterday (at lvl 35 overall right now). Dragon Armor is freaking awesome! I think I prefer the light version over the heavy version both visually and overall effectiveness.

Oh, and you'll either really love or outright hate what you have to do to power up the sword from Daedric Lord Mephalas' quest. As for followers, you should go out of your way to find Ilia....she's a magic slinging beast!

Already beat a couple of the Dragon Priests as well...Krosis and Volsung. Very, very useful. I've barely made a dent in the main story quest so far, just been running around doing the misc stuff and trying to power up some good armor and weapons.

pig iron grenadier
11-20-2011, 12:59 PM
So, I bought this today........I'm hoping I like it as much as the hype machine suggests. I love the traditional style RPGs --although I'm getting used to the newer Fable and bioware style mechanics--ease of play ones.
I just remember trying Oblivion and thinking the controller interface on 360 wasn't to my liking so I never really picked it back up...I hope it has improved some. When I get off work I'll pop back in and let you guys know what I initially think.

Talisman
11-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I just grabbed this last night as well.

So far I'm enjoying it, but this game is DIFFICULT. At first I kept dying because somehow the default difficulty was Master, so I lowered it to adept.

So far I've been eaten by a dragon, impaled by a draugr, and slaughtered by a variety of wildlife due to the heal spell not doing sh!t and constantly running out of healing supplies. So... going to have to lower the difficulty another level, putting me on roughly "lolwutababy" difficulty.

But... this game is still awesome.

pig iron grenadier
11-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Addicttinngggg.

Talisman
11-21-2011, 12:36 AM
I killed two dragons today for a grand total of 3.

I'm proud of myself.

pig iron grenadier
11-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I've only killed the one..I've been busy catching butterflies :) I just got done with hrothgar or whatever...

Weapon XIX
11-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm up to 7 or 8. The Storm Call shout makes the battles kind of easy - though if you've got a companion with you, your lightning will strike them so Healing Hands is a great spell to have.

I'm up to glass smithing now and working my way to ebony. Smithing is a lot more fun than I thought it would be - and very lucrative.

Also, I know the map is big - but damn it is BIG.

And I figured this out almost embarrassingly late, but you can upgrade your companion's armor and weapons and have them hold your loot like a walking storage chest. I found that out sadly 3 companions late - the elf archer from Riverwood, Lydia from when you become thane of Whiterun, and a dark elf merc. But I've recruited Mjoll, upgraded her armor and weapons significantly and she's quite the melee powerhouse.

Black Llama
11-21-2011, 11:10 AM
I just want to say that while the first piece of property is really expensive (5,000) it's totally worth it to help unburden yourself of those pesky items that are heavy but you're not ready to unload - I'm looking at you, every book I've picked up.

I love the books in game. If you buy the upgrades for the house, you get a book shelf. Select it and "store" your books on it by pressing x and they all line up nice and pretty :D

ok i got it figured out finally, thank you for the help :)
btw what can you do with embalming tools?

Decorations only.

Just got lvl 100 in smithing early yesterday (at lvl 35 overall right now). Dragon Armor is freaking awesome! I think I prefer the light version over the heavy version both visually and overall effectiveness.

Oh, and you'll either really love or outright hate what you have to do to power up the sword from Daedric Lord Mephalas' quest. As for followers, you should go out of your way to find Ilia....she's a magic slinging beast!

Already beat a couple of the Dragon Priests as well...Krosis and Volsung. Very, very useful. I've barely made a dent in the main story quest so far, just been running around doing the misc stuff and trying to power up some good armor and weapons.

I need to start working on smithing. I'm still not 100% in love with my character though. I'm getting there, but not quite.

Also, I know the map is big - but damn it is BIG.

I love how EPIC shit feels when you're walking around. I've been logging 4 hours a night since release and I still have tons of map left to explore.

Call me weird, I don't really like having a companion with me :D If it was another player, I would have fun, especially with some of you cats over XBL, otherwise I hate babysitting NPC's. I will use them as a "mule" though. Once I clear an area out and go to sell all the extra stuff.

pig iron grenadier
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Walking over snow capped mountains in the dark is not for the faint of heart I went in circles 3 times..hahahahah. Those ice trolls are kinda rough... I find one of them almost as hard as a dragon.
I'm still figuring stuff out without looking at the guide......I had no idea on the companion stuff...duh. I need to make some money when I get back home so I can buy my first house which is available... So Lydia and other followers can die permanent like? that sucks....

Troynos
11-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Are the companions interactive like in Dragon Age?

pig iron grenadier
11-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Not so much...limited dialogue. I have no clue on overall relationships, and don't really know if there are any other than NPC casual ones.

Weapon XIX
11-21-2011, 03:37 PM
The dialogue options are limited though they'll also spout some platitudes and bits of character history during travel. I believe there are also additional options if you marry that companion, though I'm not there yet - not ready to get tied down:)

But from what I've heard, it's nothing like the expansive dialogue in the DA series.

pig iron grenadier
11-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Lydia died last night at the vampire cave when I hit her with a spell...re-loaded and she lived. Damn, your NPCs are constantly getting too close in combat and then they bitch at you when you hit them. Thanks to learning that your follower can be a pack mule (thanks weapon XIX) I was finally able to get my first house....that bookshelf and chest are a lifesaver.
As I'm sure I'll need troll skulls & dragon plates/bones/skulls and all those ingredients later for armor, potions, or weapons,and they weigh a ton.

I find myself doing minutia all the time and never wanting to push the main quest...I just saw and killed the dragon at Kynne-whatever, and learned my final word from the greybeards. I guess that makes 3 dragons total now. I'm still only at level 7 after 15 hours or so...I still have so many tasks and side quests to do as well...I find myself skipping talking to too many people as I don't want to pile up too many quests.

How does one gain the ability to make health potions? Alchemy?

Weapon XIX
11-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Yup. And it's all about experimenting to see what makes health potions - so you should be able to craft health potions from level 1. It took me many attempts - both failed and successful - to make a health regeneration potion. I sure found a lot of ways to resist frost, poison, and fire though.

pig iron grenadier
11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Also, if I'm feeling thirsty at dusk does that mean I've contracted vampirism? How does one get rid of that? I killed all the vampires in the cave? hahah..damn.

Talisman
11-22-2011, 10:21 PM
So I got the Fire shout today.

Even at rank one, that power is SOOOOOO overpowered.

pig iron grenadier
11-23-2011, 01:44 AM
So I got the Fire shout today.

Even at rank one, that power is SOOOOOO overpowered.
Aren't you playing on baby level though? ;)

Weapon XIX
11-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Also, if I'm feeling thirsty at dusk does that mean I've contracted vampirism? How does one get rid of that? I killed all the vampires in the cave? hahah..damn.

Same thing happened to me. Head to a temple or use a Potion of Cure Disease - though vampirism does have some interesting perks, most notably resist frost which can be a real help against white frost dragons. I came across one of those today and if it wasn't for a band of Khajit that happened to comeby and distract it, that dragon would have wiped me out.

I just got up to ebony crafting and damn does that rumor look cool! I wish I had at least another day to ply before i had to leave for the holiday.

pig iron grenadier
11-23-2011, 01:50 AM
Strangely I'm having more problems against creatures like giants and trolls than Dragons. I don't know why? I only use about one potion per fight with dragons. A giant kills me in one good hit though? I'm finally at level 14 and have the Companion stuff chugging along nicely....Kinda like the Aela the Huntress gal. Wish she could be a perma-companion....
and I cured my vampirism.... I think I've killed 5 or 6 dragons now..I just keep running into them...

I also saw a strange ghost like horse I couldn't catch up to at night one time.......neat!

Weapon XIX
11-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah, as you level the giants and trolls will be easier to deal with. Trolls regenerating health is an interesting twist to make those enemies a bit harder, which I like.

And once I get a dragon on the ground, it's no contest. I get that sucker to land and hack away with my suped up weapons and he's down quick. But the higher level dragons, like the white ones, if they don't land, my archery skill is not even close to enough to bring them down.

As for the horseman, it's a pretty cool little easter egg and he can lead you to a burial site with a few skeletons and some loot; but be warned, if you see him around Dragon's Bridge, you've got a looooooong trek ahead of you. It's much better to find him closer to Whiterun - a much shorter journey by comparison.

I was in Markarth yesterday and there's one particular quest where you're going to be happy about the multiple autosaves. If you play it one way, everything's fine and dandy. You play it another way, and it's utter chaos. If you've done it you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't - you will.

Black Llama
11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
I got to play "Twilight" in Skyrim last night. I had to save a Village from a cave full of Vampires. The guards offered to help but I went in first with my Axe, things got a little heated, so I retreated back a little bit, healed up and turned Wolf. There was no sparkly Twilight shit there, just me mauling a cave of vampires and then walking out 10 minutes later loaded with loot and all the villagers with a "what the hell?" reaction. Awesome.

pig iron grenadier
11-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I got to play "Twilight" in Skyrim last night. I had to save a Village from a cave full of Vampires. The guards offered to help but I went in first with my Axe, things got a little heated, so I retreated back a little bit, healed up and turned Wolf. There was no sparkly Twilight shit there, just me mauling a cave of vampires and then walking out 10 minutes later loaded with loot and all the villagers with a "what the hell?" reaction. Awesome.
That is the dungeon I had to reload because I killed Lydia on accident...whoops. I think I like the Werewolf thing better than the vampire thing in this game...

Spikekyn
11-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Ive killed 3 0f the followers already and figured out how much they stink later on. Im level 31 and solo everything.

laurenluna1977
11-24-2011, 01:50 AM
How is the 3rd person perspective on this. I like the previous games, but had a difficult time playing them because 1st person makes me motion sick, while 3rd person was janky

pig iron grenadier
11-24-2011, 04:00 AM
It's better than the last one..I couldn't make it an hour on the last one...I'm addicted to this one. I play exclusive third person...

Silenth
11-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Im thinking of making a shield and fist Captain America style character. Shield bash plus the hand to hand bonus from heavy armor seems like it might work.

Has anyone tried something like this? any suggestion on what other stuff I need to focus on?

pig iron grenadier
11-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Im thinking of making a shield and fist Captain America style character. Shield bash plus the hand to hand bonus from heavy armor seems like it might work.

Has anyone tried something like this? any suggestion on what other stuff I need to focus on?

When you go into the Riften undercity for a required quest you meet a guy that has a magical pugilist/brawl gauntlet for hand to hand fighting...you beat him and you get the gauntlet.....Go with that. There is also a brawling perk focus. Then you can destroy the gauntlet (at an arcane workbench) later after getting a better one so you can enchant with the new brawling magic enchantment you learned....save first to see if I'm right though :)

You'll definitely need to enchant some heavier and better gauntlets to do it, and shields.

Xsoldier
11-25-2011, 02:02 AM
I used to have a wife. Now she is playing this.

nerdsgetchicks
11-25-2011, 02:53 AM
I used to have a wife. Now she is playing this.

My daughter is almost done with the main quest! I purchased on launch day and she has been tearing it up since. Maybe when she is done I can get in some play time.

pig iron grenadier
11-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I have still not scratched the surface of this game...I periodically check out the guide (I try not to look at all the first time through). Just looking at the shear number of quests and side quests...it's immense. I'm not trying to rush through at all, and there are at least 6-8 major parts I haven't even attempted to start(who knows how many favors and quests).

I've become Thane 3 times, and by just roaming around I've accumulated about 60 dragon scales and bones..I lost track of how many dragons I've killed-at least 12-15???..... I can't even be 15% done... at one point I randomly encountered 2 dragons, and had to fight them at the same time...crazy.
I guess my warrior is really made to fight dragons (a lot of fire resistance)...I still have more problems fighting the random beast at times than fighting a dragon...weird.

bluebikerboy1
11-26-2011, 02:31 PM
finished my first god (the god of hunting). i think there called gods but in any case. it was the one where you had to hunt that damn deer and kill it.
God it took forever. I must have shot it litterly 100+ times with arrows and it wouldnt die. it kept regenerating and running. it took over an hour to kill that damn thing. and the only way i did it was when some bandit gave me a shock bow to hold and i used that. I dont know if it was part of the story line or the AI felt sorry for me so it gave me a break lol.

also went after the warewolf and finished that. Im not sure where I want to take my character but for now i let the warewolf live and joined him to kill the hunters. interesting ending to that one

Weapon XIX
11-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Just hit a weird glitch with the Companions - Vilkas won't leave me alone. He keeps popping up and drawing his sword and pursuing me but then entering a conversation with me no matter how many times I exit the conversation and run away, quit, and restart. One time he chased me clear out of Whiterun. Then I fast travelled back and was able to do some companion quests and become a companion but as soon as he caught up he was all annoying again. Can you kill him? Will I miss out on Companion quest stuff or alienate them if I take him far way and then kill him without any witnesses? I feel like Italy be the only way to get rid of him. Thoughts?

bluebikerboy1
11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Just hit a weird glitch with the Companions - Vilkas won't leave me alone. He keeps popping up and drawing his sword and pursuing me but then entering a conversation with me no matter how many times I exit the conversation and run away, quit, and restart. One time he chased me clear out of Whiterun. Then I fast travelled back and was able to do some companion quests and become a companion but as soon as he caught up he was all annoying again. Can you kill him? Will I miss out on Companion quest stuff or alienate them if I take him far way and then kill him without any witnesses? I feel like Italy be the only way to get rid of him. Thoughts?

you should so do it and let us know what happened :)

pig iron grenadier
11-26-2011, 10:47 PM

You need Vilkas to complete the Companion line..you may need to pop back at an earlier save and replay...I had to replay about an hour of gaming when I encountered a glitch in Dawnstar. The glitch is you follow a mage to the temple of mara/vaena? above the city.He went in and I followed, but he disappeared no matter how many times I reloaded the previous save and auto saves... make sure you save often and in different slots...

Alyosha
11-27-2011, 06:58 PM
I've run across several. I can't get the marriage to work because it glitches saying "attend your wedding" then immediately follows up with "failed: attend your wedding" even though I'm standing right there (also had several dead followers show up as bodies on the floor of the temple). If I piss off Mjoll the Lioness one more time, I think she's going to kill me. Also, a major one where even though I'm 100% certain on the sequence, the sapphire claw will not open the tomb door it's supposed too. There have been others, but those are the most outstanding so far.

As with all the games in these series (Fallout, and Elder Scrolls) they use the same game engine (code), so it's a trade off. You know it's going to be buggy as hell, but play anyway because it's so fun (glitches notwithstanding).

As a total aside, does anyone know where Ilia goes after you complete her quest, use her as a follower, then let her go? I wanted to add her to the ranks of the Blades, but can't find her for the life of me (checked back where I found her originally).

Alyosha
11-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I've run across several glitches. I can't get the marriage to work because it glitches saying "attend your wedding" then immediately follows up with "failed: attend your wedding" even though I'm standing right there (also had several dead followers show up as bodies on the floor of the temple). If I piss off Mjoll the Lioness one more time, I think she's going to kill me. Also, a major one where even though I'm 100% certain on the sequence, the sapphire claw will not open the tomb door it's supposed too. There have been others, but those are the most outstanding so far.

As with all the games in these series (Fallout, and Elder Scrolls) they use the same game engine (code), so it's a trade off. You know it's going to be buggy as hell, but play anyway because it's so fun (glitches notwithstanding).

As a total aside, does anyone know where Ilia goes after you complete her quest, use her as a follower, then let her go? I wanted to add her to the ranks of the Blades, but can't find her for the life of me (checked back where I found her originally).

bluebikerboy1
11-27-2011, 07:43 PM
i wish they would hurry up with the patches to fix some of these glitches

mister-x
11-27-2011, 07:49 PM
my boys love this game for some reason... i cant stand to even watch them play

Zarana
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I've run across several glitches. I can't get the marriage to work because it glitches saying "attend your wedding" then immediately follows up with "failed

nope that sounds about right. The game is just preparing its players for life.

Weapon XIX
11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Ok, so I tried killing him - that didn't work. I knocked him out outside of the Companion headquarters but as soon as I went inside there he was again. It turns out the glitch has something to do with having a bounty on you in any of the holds, so it looks like I'm going to do some fast traveling to each hold and checking to see if there's a bounty and then paying it. Anyone know a short way to check your stats to see where there's a bounty?

Also randomly across the black dragon resurrecting a dead dragon in the wild. It was pretty cool to see.

And anyone choose sides in the civil war yet? If you have how does it affect you? Like, if I join the legion, will all quests (including non-Stormcloak related ones) in Windhelm be off the table for me? And visa versa?

And pig iron grenadier, I did come across that glitch. If you head into the temple before him he never shows up. You have to let him take the lead and then he doesn't disappear.

Haven't tried marriage yet, but I may wait for the forthcoming patch before I try it.

Black Llama
11-28-2011, 10:22 AM
You need Vilkas to complete the Companion line..you may need to pop back at an earlier save and replay...I had to replay about an hour of gaming when I encountered a glitch in Dawnstar. The glitch is you follow a mage to the temple of mara/vaena? above the city.He went in and I followed, but he disappeared no matter how many times I reloaded the previous save and auto saves... make sure you save often and in different slots...

This happened to me, but there's a way around it (For Xbox at least). I talked to him (in front of the temple) and then, I went in before him. Went back out, talked to him again, then let him enter and he was there. Being familiar with Elder Scrolls bugs (been playing since Daggerfall) I always keep the 3 Autosave files and then I have 2 other saves going on. One for adventuring and then another I update whenever I start a new quest. Just helps out.

Weapon XIX
11-28-2011, 12:17 PM
That's a good rule of thumb for saves. I will have to implement that when I get home. Also, good news for PS3 users, patch 2.01 has been released an apparently fixes the frame rate lag (though supposedly at the cost of some texturing). No idea if it fixes any other bugs but I'll download as soon as I get home and find out.

bluebikerboy1
11-28-2011, 07:06 PM
nope that sounds about right. The game is just preparing its players for life.

lol nice

Weapon XIX
11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Still checking things out but the patch definitely fixes theft amperage issue on the PS3.

bluebikerboy1
11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
can anyone confirm if that stupid deer was supposed to take so long to kill or if it was a glitch?

Weapon XIX
11-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I've heard that the elk in Hircine's Daedric quest is notoriously hard to kill and can glitch - if you don't kill it right away it can run away to a part of a mountain that is totally unreachable. I can't speak for myself though, I haven't done it yet. I do have 4 Daedric quests active though, Azura's, Boethia's, Meridia, and Mehrunes Dagon - the only one I'm actively going after at the moment is Meridia's because I want the Dawnbreaker sword, though I will eventually do the others.

The patch worked well so far, though I got caught up doing other things so I haven't checked in with the Companions yet to see if Vilkas comes at me again. I did however encounter a glitchy dragon that wouldn't attack me but also wouldn't obey the laws of physics as it jerked violently across the screen and then at certain distances flew in the exact same spot. I drained it's health completely with destruction spells from a distance and while it upped my destruction rating, the dragon never died so I never got that soul. I did check the stats though and saw that I have 18 dragon kills so far. I also decided to push ahead a little with the main quest and I'm up to The Cornered Rat in the second act.

I cannot get enough of this game!

pig iron grenadier
11-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm thinking of this game at work....while driving and while home...ugghhhhh.
80 hours in ...I completely lost track opf how many dragons I killed I have 70-ish dragon plates (similar with scales)....I suppose they are for armor or weapons later...just sitting in my chest.

I also have like 22,000 gold and have nothing to spend it on. I want the house in the rift, but I cannot get the Thane quest to trigger..... Pretty close to finishing the thieves guild line..maybe then. I cheated and saw that the thane quest involves skooma, but still no clue on how to trigger...I've killed 3 dragons for the lady already. Anyone?

Also I've enjoyed traveling with Aela, The wizard student cat guy (K'Jar?) from the winter college, and Lydia so far. Mjol is kind of annoying with her traveling banter, but she's a bruiser..... Any traveling companion favorites so far for you guys?

Troynos
11-30-2011, 02:32 PM
I keep wanting to grab this game, then I see the price tag and move on.

bluebikerboy1
11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I keep wanting to grab this game, then I see the price tag and move on.

even with the tag it gives you hrs of entertainment vs other games that cost the same that last 4 hrs. just saying

Troynos
11-30-2011, 03:44 PM
It's not the enjoyment vs. price issue, it's just dropping that much money on a game.

pig iron grenadier
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Games like this actually save me money because I spend so much time at home I don't hardly shop or go out to eat..hahah.

Alyosha
11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
By far my fave is Ilia, if I could just find where she went back to. Also really like Mjoll because she's a stud. Beefy ass bitch.

Weapon XIX
12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Haven't met Illia yet but Mjoll is a beast! I have her in legendary enchanted ebony armor with a legendary ebony war hammer and she just destroys everything in front of her.

Found the necklace of Mara and am now considering who to marry. And when to marry. I originally wanted to buy a place in Solitude first, but if I marry now and she sets up a shop, I can skim the profits until I can afford the hefty 25,000 gold for a place in Solitude.

And I'm up to Daedric smithing now and that armor is AWESOME. It looks far more dragon-y than the actual dragon armors and I think it actually starts out at a better rating, meaning that after some smithing it may be the best heavy armor in the game. The weapons are great too. I took down a black dragon with 2 swings of a Daedric sword and a one-handed skill level of 83.

And I'm not even close to done with this game. LOVING it!

Troynos
12-01-2011, 09:12 AM
How's the marriage system in the game work? Who are the options to marry?

Weapon XIX
12-01-2011, 09:49 AM
There are tons of NPC's you can marry. There's a list here if you scroll down: Marriage - The Elder Scrolls Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Marriage). Essentially you complete a quest for an NPC eventually find an object that gets blessed and then you can ask them to get married. Then you participate in a ceremony and then they set up in a house - either one you own or their own. They may set up a shop which you can skim profits off of, and they can cook for you which regenerates magic, health, and stamina better.

When you're married the NPC's attitude and demeanor change. There are additional dialogue options but nothing with the depth of the dialogue in the Dragon Age series. And you can marry someone of the same sex, though there are 2 races (Khajit and Wood Elf) that you can't marry.

pig iron grenadier
12-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Also I tried this (marriage) just to see what happened. You also get the option of moving after a couple of screen loads...you can live in any place you "run" as well.... You could move from whiterun to solitude later if you wanted....

MeLikeJinx
12-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Anybody experience the "PS3 severe framerate lag when your savefile gets bigger than 5MB" issue? Been reading around... sounds serious. Think I am gonna wait a while before I get this game... especially since my PS3 is not connected to the internet and I cannot patch the game.

Weapon XIX
12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I definitely did but the latest patch has taken care of that problem (though there are still others). The lag before the patch was brutal though. It made travel by foot or horse excruciating.

Killed my first 2 Elder dragons last night. Very tough fight (until I got them to land of course).

My smithing is up to 97 - not quite there for dragon armor yet, but I got my Daedric armor and weapons really powered up. The armor alone without boots, gauntlets, or helmet is up to 175 and my twin Daedric swords are each at 83 damage.

Still nowhere close to done with the main quest. I did a few more Daedric quests though and got the shield that blocks both physical and magic attacks and it is VERY useful. And once you're up to Daedric smithing, do the Mehrunes Dagon quest as it's a great way to farm Daedric hearts.

Alyosha
12-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Should hit the lvl 50 cap today. Smithing, Lockpick, Two Hand, and Enchanting at 100 with several others skills not far behind.

Have put together a set of Light Dragon Armor with two enchantments on each piece, and using an ebony longsword that does 215 damage with each hit as well as 5 to paralyze and absord 20 points health. I would wear the heavy armor, but I don't like having to stop in mid-mission to go clear out my (and my followers) inventory of loot due to the loss of weight capacity.

The only thing they've gotten rid of (that I wish they'd kept) is spells and effects that make the enemy "silenced". In a world with this many Draugr Death Overlords that can shout as well, it'd be nice to shut them up. Kind of miss being able to wear two rings and enchanted pants too. That and the Oblivion PS3 item dupe glitch.

bluebikerboy1
12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
i killed 2 wolly mamoths and 1 giant in one time. yeah not a big feat but still impressive

pig iron grenadier
12-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, I thought I'd let you all know I finally got the Riften Thane thing sorted out and I got my house and housecarl finally. I was thinking it was a glitch, but as it turns out I just hadn't searched hard enough and missed the fishery area entirely. It doesn't help that the door is labeled Skyrim instead of Riften Fishery...

In a moment of shame I admit fully that I cheated by looking on the internet....

Also after sorting my items through my 3 houses I own (something that took about 2 hours--yeesh) I have separated my chests for easy filing of types...armor in one chest, weapons in one chest, high value items in one chest, food/potions/ingredients in another chest. I also have places of operation, but I only leave items there that directly relate to that questline such as weapons earned or uniforms out of sentimentality. While fats traveling and storing all my dragon stuff I realized I had over 100 scales now and am only up to 60 on smithing...I have some serious smithing to do....
Also I fill my bookshelves only with books I think I'll need or that are very funny.....the rest I sell. I can't see myself ever completing the entire library collection....Has anyone seen the romance novel that is a little bawdy involving khajit romance?....pretty funny stuff.

pig iron grenadier
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh yes, and elder dragons are a beast at my current level 37..they seem to rotate between frost and fire so it's hard to protect yourself via shield and jewelry...

pig iron grenadier
12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh, and just so you guys don't waste your time....Your Housecarl Lydia is bugged so you can't marry her like other Housecarls. I was only gonna fake play that out to see what happened because she is my favorite dungeon crawling buddy, but nope. You have to exploit it on PC for it to work, but might glitch your game. On PS3 and 360 it won't happen so don't bother unless there is a patch upcoming.

They also said they fixed the dragon soul issue, but after the patch I've still killed 2 dragons and the souls didn't absorb. I had heard there were only 20 something dragons to slay, but I've killed over 30 to be sure....is dragon generation just completely random unless it is quest related?

Alyosha
12-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I've found that if the Dragons were at a perch that I had already cleared, and I was sent there as a bounty, there is no soul to absorb.

As for Lydia, I figured that was why she wasn't eligible. Still trying to find Ilia again, so please keep your eyes open if you see her.

pig iron grenadier
12-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I've found that if the Dragons were at a perch that I had already cleared, and I was sent there as a bounty, there is no soul to absorb.

As for Lydia, I figured that was why she wasn't eligible. Still trying to find Ilia again, so please keep your eyes open if you see her.

TIP FOR FINDING HER WHEN YOU LOSE HER ON XBOX OR PS3: from her tower you got her at, if she isn't there go north towards windhelm using the pathway there. Turn left when the dirt road turns into stone trails.

Alyosha
12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks man. I really like the way her combat compliment my style of play (sneaky, sneaky then whack'em with a giant sword!) and wanted to add her back to the repertoire.

BTW, some stats for those who watch that kind of thing:

Dragonscale Armor:

Alyosha's Crown (Legendary helmet)- 80 armor, Bows do 40% more damage, breathe underwater
Hephaestus Heart (Legendary Cuirass)- 173 armor, health +68, smithing +27%
Aesir Fist (Legendary Gauntlets)- 73 armor, 2-hand +40%, carry +37 points
Aesir Greaves (Legendary Boots)- 73 armor, 2-hand +40%, carry +37 points

1st Shot Ring (Gold Diamond)- carry +37 points, 2-hand +40%
2nd Shot Ring (Gold Diamond)-smithing +25%, health +62 points
Necklace 1 (Gold Diamond)- prices 25% better, 2-hand +40%
Necklace 2 (Gold Diamond)- smithing +25%, health +62 points
Amulet of Talos X5

Ebony Fang (Legendary Sword)- 320 Damage, Absorb 20 health and chance to paralyze for 5 seconds
Ebony Bow of Nullifying- 65 Damage, 60 points Magicka damage
Daedric Arrows- 24 Damage
Great Glass Sword of Binding- 312 Damage, target dies within 7 seconds, fill soul gem

Skills at or near 100%:

Enchanting-100 (all perks except right side, all 5 Enchanter bonus)
Smithing-100 (all perks except Daedric)
Two-Handed-100 (all Great Sword Perks, all 5 Barbarian bonus)
Light Armor-88, only 1st perk
Lockpicking-100, all lock bonuses (except master), unbreakable pick
Speech-82, 1st perk only
Sneak-72, 1st perk 2nd stage, backstab
Pickpocket-50, Extra Pockets (+100 carry), Cutpurse, Light Fingers X1

pig iron grenadier
12-04-2011, 02:56 AM
I'm only at level 38 overall. Mostly I concentrate on One Handed, smithing, enchanting, block and heavy armor. One-Handed is the only 100 I have so far. Enchanting is next closest.

Alyosha, How are you stacking the multiplier on your Talos amulet?

pig iron grenadier
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know where the altar for red eagle's sword is? I mean exactly...thanks.

Black Llama
12-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I just hit 28. I don't get a lot of time to play though, maybe an hour or so a day. I wanted to be a mage but I ended up being a 2 handed fighter lol

So far I'm in the 80's for 2 handed, heavy armor, speech. 79 Smithing and mid 50's for destruction and restoration and lockpicking.

I'm still using Wuthrad (sp) from the companions quest for my weapon, I did however put a drain health enchantment on it. I married the Huntress, but can't find her anywhere now lol. For some reason, I detest bringing companions with me. Using a giant 2 handed Axe I keep hitting them....

*spoilers*

Currently I'm finishing the Gauldur Amulet quest. I'm playing on hard and you have to fight, for the last boss battle, 3 Nord Mage Lords one after another. The 2nd of which has a shout that can either send you flying a few 100 feet or kill you outright. Did I mention that he's an archer and splits himself into 6 decoys for the fight, all of which get said shout ability..... fucking HARD!

Black Llama
12-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm horribly anal like that, have been since Morrowwind.

I have everything separated. I keep all keys in one drawer, all notes/write/bounties in another, books in another. I keep a set of each towns guards uniforms lol I need to be on SkyRim : Hoarders.

Talisman
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know where the altar for red eagle's sword is? I mean exactly...thanks.

Ah... it's in that cave not far from where you find it, Rebel's Cairn. I just did that quest the other day- sword is okay, but nothing to really get excited about. Still, loot.

Rebel's Cairn - The Elder Scrolls Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel%27s_Cairn)

bluebikerboy1
12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
i finaly bought my first house.

btw a tip. if you are grabbing the extra gear to sell after a mission.....
in the old game if it was dark when you fat traveled and you didnt want to wait till morning to hawk your first load you could dump it at the door way and travel back for another load. them when you came back it would be daylight and the shop would be open. then you walked in, sold your current load, waled out, picked up the load you left and walked in to sell that. well if you dump it on the street in this game at night you get bum rushed by i guess beggers or thieves wanting you to give it all to them. you can dump it in the shop in the corner and it will still be there when you come backl but you cant leave it in the open. if you do it may get stollen. at leasdt i think thats what tehy would do. when they asked if they can have the gear since i dumped it i told them to back off. im not sure what would happen if you give it to them. in any case i thought it was worth mentioning

pig iron grenadier
12-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Ah... it's in that cave not far from where you find it, Rebel's Cairn. I just did that quest the other day- sword is okay, but nothing to really get excited about. Still, loot.

Rebel's Cairn - The Elder Scrolls Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Rebel%27s_Cairn)
I'll check again...I must be blind....It's in the first cave you enter, before you go outside again and kill all the forsaken near the stairs and towers? I just kinda hacked my way through that quest and didn't know there was more to do with the sword and got all turned around after exploring the towers, and now I'm completely lost..I just left the quest unfinished...
Also why do I have to keep 10 pounds worth of barenziah stones on me at all times? I don't plan on finishing that quest until post game as well as the rest of the thieves guild stuff until after...my companions get all fussy when I'm doing a B & E...hah.

"You're not supposed to be in here..." :)

Black Llama
12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Funny Enough the Red Eagles sword is glitched into my inventory (along with a few other items) that I can't seem to get rid of. It's a nice sword, but I don't do 1 handed and would love to loose the weight lol.

pig iron grenadier
12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
I also can't give pantea her flute......glitched? The Bard College is a strange place....makes me feel all creepy anyway...

That red eagle altar is basically no where...It just up and disappeared from my game I guess....

Talisman
12-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Funny Enough the Red Eagles sword is glitched into my inventory (along with a few other items) that I can't seem to get rid of. It's a nice sword, but I don't do 1 handed and would love to loose the weight lol.

Are you hauling around Red Eagle's Fury or Red Eagle's Bane? The former you have to transform in the latter before you can drop it (unmarked quests, don't you just love 'em?).

I also can't give pantea her flute......glitched? The Bard College is a strange place....makes me feel all creepy anyway...

That red eagle altar is basically no where...It just up and disappeared from my game I guess....

It should be in the big clearing inside of Rebel's Cairne, at the very end- at least until you put the sword in the altar.

pig iron grenadier
12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Got my house in Solitude..a much better place now that all the jerk elves are gone..I like the Dark elves...despise those Thalmor types.

My house is full of cobwebs because I can't afford upgrades yet...hahahah. :)

pig iron grenadier
12-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Finally finished the red eagle quest...I was in the wrong place entirely...doh. Almost at 80 on smithing.....I can't wait until I can make ebony stuff....

Troynos
12-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Started last night. Killed first dragon outside Whiterun. Cleared Bleak Fallow Barrow. Level 3. Got Lydia has a housecarl, now just need to get a house, lol. Joined the Companions.

I like the combat system. Pulling the triggers to block and swing is fairly interactive.

Too many skills.

Weapon XIX
12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
I bought my house in Solitude and it's really cool. I bought the furniture sets so there aren't cobwebs anywhere and an enchanting station. One of my mannequins is buggy though and disappears when I put armor on it. It's still there but I can't see it. I wish I could buy a forge, but there's one close by.

At level 42 now and with the level 50 cap coming I figured I'd march forward with the main quest a bit and finished act 2. The story is actually pretty interesting and the whole involvement of the Elder Scroll is pretty cool. But now I'm taking a break from the main quest and I'm gonna get married, do the radiant quests for the Companions, and pick a side in this whole civil war thing.

I'm thinking of recruiting Mjoll and Aela to the Blades. Also considering curing my lycanthropy since I hardly ever use it and can't get resting bonuses.

And Troynos, I really like the combat system too, especially the blocking. It's something that didn't seem right in the Dragon Age games, which is why in those games I always went for dual wield since the shield never seemed to do much for me in combat.

pig iron grenadier
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm of the same mindset with Lycanthropy..I don't see the point now, and it doesn't have many uses in game (I still have 4 heads anyway).
I still haven't done anything with the blades and I'm still boosting skills...I probably need to go further and get the sphere and cube thing done...at Level 42 and own all the houses I need the 1 more I can get doesn't seem necessary right now. I have still yet to set foot in Falkreath........I've been putting it off trying to wrap up all the other sidequests I've amassed and complete all the Thane stuff I've started so far....
I did already finish the Civil War stuff though..I didn't think that would be too smart to put off with the dragon invasion as well...

pig iron grenadier
12-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Troy the most useful skills are to concentrate on one weapon set skill.......then in this order i find most useful.....Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy, speechcraft, destruction, and the rest I just dabble in.....Lockpicking is necessary, but I'm almost at 100 with no perks to speak of..sneaking is only a must if you want to be a rogue/thief type...you can do the thief stuff with little to no sneaking...

Black Llama
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Are you hauling around Red Eagle's Fury or Red Eagle's Bane? The former you have to transform in the latter before you can drop it (unmarked quests, don't you just love 'em?).

It should be in the big clearing inside of Rebel's Cairne, at the very end- at least until you put the sword in the altar.

Didn't know about that! I'll take care of it tonight :D Thanks!

Troynos
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Troy the most useful skills are to concentrate on one weapon set skill.......then in this order i find most useful.....Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy, speechcraft, destruction, and the rest I just dabble in.....Lockpicking is necessary, but I'm almost at 100 with no perks to speak of..sneaking is only a must if you want to be a rogue/thief type...you can do the thief stuff with little to no sneaking...

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Liking sword and board.

Black Llama
12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Yeah, that's what I figured.

Liking sword and board.

I've never played a 1 hander in an ES game. I've always either gone Bow or 2 Handed.

Troynos
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I've never been partial to 2-handers or bows. I prefer melee and using go dual wield, but I'm really liking the functionality of the shield and being able to block and shield bash.

pig iron grenadier
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Yep I'm going with weapon and shield (normally I go two-handed or dual wield)...really handy against dragons and larger creatures as well. I'm built to fight dragons....throw a couple of Falmer and Chaurus at me and I turn into a little wimp. I can drop most humans in one or two hits-except the boss types, but those twisted, cave elves have my number.

Weapon XIX
12-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Yeah, and the Falmer are surprisingly good shots for blind cave creatures. But a well placed arrow can drop them pretty easily as well - and I only have the first archery perk.

And the choice to go sword an board is made infinitely easier when you get the Daedric Prince's shield that can block magic and elemental attacks. Next go through I may go the magic route, but I do love melee combat. And with my twin Daedric swords, if I get a dragon on the ground I can drop it with a few swings.

pig iron grenadier
12-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Hmmm, I must really rethink doing those Daedric quests now.....I was putting them off.

This game is going to keep me busy until the Mass Effect 3 release. There is no reason for me to buy Arkham now--I was debating, but I can get 3 months out of this game..eaaasssyyyyy.

Troynos
12-07-2011, 08:05 AM
I can never play as a mage. I try and never make it very far.

Weapon XIX
12-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, usually I don't favor rolling a mage, but slinging spells in Skyrim is pretty visceral and fun. I'm getting much better and crashing dragons with lightning spells and then going in for the kill with melee weapons. Plus, with conjure spells, I could still get a melee fix with bound swords and axes. So I'm definitely considering being a mage next go around, but I've got a long ways to go with this first playthrough.

I'm about halfway through the civil war quests now.
MINOR SPOILER:

In the quest to take back the Rift when you have to steal a courier's message I chose to go after him rather than wait. While I was heading to his marker on the map I was attacked by 2 dragons who were also attacking some snow trolls. I thought for sure the dragons were attacking the couriers as well but they weren't. After killing the dragons I followed the marker to its new static spot and found another snow troll killing the couriers. Existentially, I wondered what would have happened if I had waited. Would the couriers have eventually showed up? Or would their blood stained corpses have remained out there until I went in search of them after waiting several hours?

END SPOILERS

Also I encountered a frost dragon that I killed but he never disintegrated to give up his soul. It was by a word wall that I had already discovered where I had already killed a dragon and a dragon priest - I don't know if that matters at all, but I'm assuming it's a bug since I've killed multiple dragons in common spots before with no problem.

Also I should have gotten married sooner. Ysolde's store is a nice little gold boost.

pig iron grenadier
12-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Killing a dragon in the same spot means you don't get a soul.....I finished the civil war quest after doing the companions quest. I figured a civil war during a dragon assault was not a good thing...I went with the Stormcloaks.....

Spoilers...

I met Alduin last night and kicked his sorry bum, but he ran away...errr flew....
Planning on getting married before the end run of the final main story..I figured WWII soldiers did it so I should too... :)

Black Llama
12-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm really hoping they fix the horrible bug associated with Markarth. Spoilers there be:

If you go to far into investigating the Stabbing that happens when you first get into town, you eventually get sold out for murder. Which lands you in Jail with the forsworn. I got out of Jail with them, and now I cannot go back to Markarth at all. I've tried everything on every message board and all of the guards are on an infinite dialog loop. I even went as far as to turn the difficulty down to Novice, back myself into a wall and slaughter about 50 guards. I finally got a popup that says "the last witness to your crime is dead" and I figured I was all good.

Skid to last night, had to go back to Markarth again, and a guard spotted me... same thing. This time I killed him in front of like 10 citizens.... So, back to a bounty and no Markarth visits for me.

Troynos
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
No Skyrim for me for a week. All my free time will be spent studying for my 2nd (of 7) Architectural Registration Exam.

Weapon XIX
12-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Good luck Troynos!

Black Llama, I had something similar with Markarth and it was annoying. I backed the game up to a save from when I was still escaping the tunnels and after getting my stuff back I slaughtered the other prisoners. Then I was a hero once I escaped. Not an ideal solution by any means, but it worked.

In the civil war I chose the Imperials rather than the Stormcloaks. I like my home in Solitude and I prefer the weather there. Plus I'm rolling a dark elf and after seeing the plight of the dark elves in Windhelm I couldn't side with the Stormcloaks.

Also, last night, I took a look at the amount of time I put into the game so far and I had to scrape my jaw off the floor. I can't believe I've been at it as long as the counter said.

pig iron grenadier
12-08-2011, 09:32 PM
I think mine says 121 hours......oy.

My biggest gripe is the high elves..I really like the dark elves..I just wanna punch the high elves in the faces. LOL

I've got about 4 glitches right now preventing me from completing quests.......I just married Aela and she keeps sleeping on a mat on the floor in solitude....No bonuses for me. :) I just gave her an all glass armor outfit though and she looks great.....

I think my favorite part of teh game is smithing...I'm addicted to it and enchanting......alchemy is not my strong suit.

Talisman
12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
I never liked High Elves in the first place. I'm pleased to have a valid reason to slaughter every last one of those bastards I see.

Serpymatt
12-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I just started a new character for Winter break :)

An Argonian who will mainly be melee and magic.

Kobra Kahn shall rule all!

totaljusticejoe
12-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Still no answer from you and I'm waiting for my stuff that I ordered from you. I want my money back or send the parts please.

Vulcan Raven
12-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I really really wanted to play this game..but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Black Llama
12-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I think mine says 121 hours......oy.

My biggest gripe is the high elves..I really like the dark elves..I just wanna punch the high elves in the faces. LOL

I've got about 4 glitches right now preventing me from completing quests.......I just married Aela and she keeps sleeping on a mat on the floor in solitude....No bonuses for me. :) I just gave her an all glass armor outfit though and she looks great.....

I think my favorite part of teh game is smithing...I'm addicted to it and enchanting......alchemy is not my strong suit.

I lost her at first after I married her. I found her, another Companion and a dead body walking back from Riften to Whiterun. I was just randomly walking to a dungeon when I happened across them. I spoke to her, and the option to have her move into my house in Whiterun was there. I too have her in all glass armor and with a killer bow that I found, she is certainly helpful on some of the harder caves/crypts. Coupled with the fact that she is basically un-killable it makes her perfect to take out.

So far I'm glitched out of Markarth, but I hear the next patch will fix that. I tried going back last night to do something and was hounded by 15 guardsman :\ Lol I've been playing 100 hours and I've only done like 3 main quests. I love the sidetrack stuff way to much!

pig iron grenadier
12-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Ive only really finished Thieves guild, companions, and civil War questlines...I actually think I have one more to do with the companions but Vilkas won't give it to me...and many of the thieves guild side radiant quests remain....so , am I really done. Plus I found an Imperial map randomly that still shows places they occupy...so I guess I'm not done with that either.

My biggest gripes is I keep finding all these words of power I don't or won't use so I haven't spent my dragon souls..I have 16/17 sould saved up but can't find any useful words to unlock..I still need to max out flame breath, frost breath, ice form, etc.....

I also just unlocked daedric armor on smithing...where can I find daedric hearts?...that armor line is amazing looking.

Weapon XIX
12-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Daedric hearts can be found on Dramora like the ones that attack you when you do the Mehrunes Dagon dagger quest, or you can buy them from a shady elf in the college of Winterhold - he sells 2 at a time and restocks every 2 days. Thankfully you only need one heart per weapon or piece of armor. Then you'll need to come up with a bunch of ebony ingots. It's the best heavy armor in the game and looks badass, unlike the dragon plate armor which I would wear if it looked as cool as Daedric. I do like the scale armor, which I have Aela decked out in, but I prefer heavy to light armor.

pig iron grenadier
12-09-2011, 03:50 PM
I need a set of Daedric for me, Lydia and Jordis.
I have Aela in Glass for now, but may move to Dragon Scale in 10 more increases.....J'Zargo just rocks whatever I find as far as robes go.
Those are pretty much the only people I go adventuring with..I like M'Joll but her dialogue grates on me after a bit....

pig iron grenadier
12-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I didn't play at all yesterday.......i had to take a break to clean house, etc, and get my life back for a day. Today?...That's a different story...Hah.

bluebikerboy1
12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
level 13 now, im going to switch to light armor for a few side missions to build that stat up.
i did the first dungeon for the companions and am now "in"

I dont know if this is a glitch but be careful....
i cleared that dungeon out, i kept hauling gear to the front so i can go back and hawk it later. i got tired of walking back and forth so near the end i just left the bodies untouched. i thought they would still be there when i was done and came back. unfortuantly all the thieves? i killed were gone but the dead walking gual things were still there. im sure i lost some money there. funny thing is all the gear i took and hauled and dumped at the front was there.
so at least i know for future quests i have to literaly take there gear off them and dump it to have access to it after i finish a quest.

pig iron grenadier
12-11-2011, 08:09 PM
If you leave your gear around people they will likely take it though..be careful about that...

Troynos
12-12-2011, 08:47 AM
So played this weekend even though wasn't going to.

Got through the Companions quests and I'm now the harbinger.

I really haven't done much with followers. The only time have 'em is when doing the companions quest and they come along automatically.

Level 12, only killed 2 dragons. Well 1 dragon and came upon another just as a giant and mammoth killed it, but got the soul, and then had to haul ass cause the giant wanted to kill me for some reason.

Got my house in Whiterun, all decorated. Now just have to decide who to marry. Got 4 choices but I might hold off and see what else is out there. I have yet to get out of Whiterun (obviously have for quests, but haven't visited any other towns besides Riverwood and Whiterun).

How do you turn ore into ingots?

I've stopped picking up random loot unless it's magic/ore/gems/books. The armor/weapons on things I kill I just leave because it seems I can earn money easy enough and it's more of a pain in the ass to keep hauling stuff.

Weapon XIX
12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
You turn ore into ingots at a smelter (you usually need 2 ores to make 1 ingot) - there's one at the blacksmith's in Whiterun behind the forge.

For the most part I haven't looted anything besides gold, potions, or valuable stones in a while. It's definitely easy enough to make money without picking up unenchanted arms and armor, but it is a great way to bulk up a smithing skill if you have a bunch of bits to improve at the workbench or grindstone.

I've been clearing out crypts and doing companion radiant quests but still haven't started act 3, though I'm very tempted to because of the shout learned in the next questline. I have finished the civil war and Ulfric went down really easy. Then I found a neat way to build up some stats - I went upstairs, found the exiled jarls and shouted at them. A few die, causing a bounty in a few holds, but the rest won't die so I built up my one-handed, block, and heavy armor stats while they hacked away at me for 15 or so minutes. Nearly got from level 43-44 just letting them go to town.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, now the only time I grab armor/weapons from dead guys is if I know I have some ingots to use to enhance the stuff.

Get a better price selling 'em and it works up the smithing skill.

News travels fast in Skyrim.

I journeyed up to Northwatch Keep to rescue the Gray-Many son and killed all the Thalmar there. Fast traveled back to Whiterun and heard the guard say "you sure know how to pick your enemies, heard you angered the Thalmar" or something like that.

How'd they know? I didn't leave anyone alive. lol

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 09:51 AM
I updated my locking picking perks yesterday. What a difference in loot from chests! Either that or my level is working in my favor. I hit 35 last night. Finally hit 80 Smithing (hello Ebony armor!) and started the thieves guild quests.

I used to get about 40 gold per average from a chest. After opening 2 of the lock pick perks (chest have more gold, higher chance for rare items) I am no finding 200+ per chest and glass or higher weapons. I've upped my "value per carry" to 300 now. Which means I only snag enchanted weapons, unique weapons, books, scrolls, gems and body loot value over 300$.

I purchased the house in Markarth and it's my favorite looking so far. Though it is a bit of a pain to get to.....

Troynos
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm torn between Ysolda in Whiterun, Carolina (the merchant's sister) in Riverwood, Aela the companion, or my housecarl Lydia (i thinkt that's the whiterun's housecarl name) for marriage.

I suppose I should start taking followers to dungeons with me.

I think I'm at the point where I'm ready to move on from Whiterun. I think I'm at the end of the quests there.

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Aela is great for 1 reason. She can't die :D She's a quest give for the companion line so you can walk her into the nastiest of situations and she may get knocked down, but she always gets back up :D When things get hairy I'll take her and a summoned Dremora (thank you Sanquines Rose!) into battle with me.

Even though I finished everything in Whiterun I still use it as my main base for selling. Three smiths, 2 mages and the alchemist make it a great place to unload after a dungeon.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm easily distracted when going from place to place. I mark the location and start walking there but then I see a new icon pop up on my map and get curious.

Takes me twice as long to get somewhere.

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Troy, you can't marry Lydia yet because of a game glitch.......There is a great Housecarl in Solitude named Jordis..she is great. Aela was my final choice.....

Started part 3 of the main quest......awesome.....

Daedric armor is amazing and I found a 70% shock amulet randomly. I finally figured out that I should enchant weapons and armor to enhance skills and then use rings and amulets that supply health and defense boost...plus they weigh less than armor. So, you can carry 4 rings and 4 amulets to defend against elder and blood dragons without hitting a bunch of potions.
I still haven't done most of the stuff in markath because it is so confusing to get around, and have yet to set foot in falkreath. I figure when I have to go to falkreath I will be in my end run of the game...so, I'm holding off for now.

100 one-handed, 95 smithing, 86, enchanting, 77 alchemy, 84 blocking, and level 46 overall. I figure after I max smithing enchanting will eventually max itself out. I'll be happy at 80- alchemy with a good helmet boost. After this I will be concentrating on destruction magic, alteration, and restoration. I found a couple of good spell books sold by the elf in winterhold college.

Still working on some thieves guild stuff..teh main quest is done, but still have radiant quests. I'm 95% done with the winterhold radiant quests and done with the main. I think the Bard College is glitched, but I think I'm nearly done. I can't get the final radiant to unlock for the Companions, but finished that so long ago I barely hang with the companions anymore. Finishe dthe civil war long ago (if you pick stormcloak side the political prisoners are in the blue palace basement). I have yet to figure out the brotherhood thing or how to trigger it. I have had a few assassin attempts, but nothing major.

I think I'll start completing favors for the daedra next or may just hold off.

Major Spoilers below.....!!!!!!!*****

I am torn between the Blades stuff and what to do with Parthunax (SP?)......it is a rough decision I may hold off on until after the main quest ends if I can....I dunno....

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm easily distracted when going from place to place. I mark the location and start walking there but then I see a new icon pop up on my map and get curious.

Takes me twice as long to get somewhere.

One of my goals post main quest is to find out how long it takes in "real" time to travel by foot from Riften to Solitude without fast traveling, no horse, and no carriage......

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I was able to finish the bards college. However 3 of the quest items are glitched and will stay in your inventory......

Troynos
12-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I was flipping thru the guidebook at Best Buy the other day and noticed that can get dogs.

Where/how? I want a dog.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
One of my goals post main quest is to find out how long it takes in "real" time to travel by foot from Riften to Solitude without fast traveling, no horse, and no carriage......

I have yet to get a horse, but think I might for the trip from Whiterun to Riften, which is where I'll probably go after finish up Whiterun. I might as well go see the Graybeards.

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I have yet to get a horse, but think I might for the trip from Whiterun to Riften, which is where I'll probably go after finish up Whiterun. I might as well go see the Graybeards.

Actually the greybeards are on top of the mountain directly to the right of Whiterun. :)

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 12:10 PM
I was able to finish the bards college. However 3 of the quest items are glitched and will stay in your inventory......
I can't give pantea's item to anyone at all so the quest won't finish..

I was flipping thru the guidebook at Best Buy the other day and noticed that can get dogs.

Where/how? I want a dog.

Dogs are random I believe ..I have met 2 and still have no clue how to get one to follow you. They look like small irish hounds....you'll hear it barking.
And some bandits have a horse or you may run across a horse left from a bandit slaughter...you can ride that horse without stealing it as it no longer has an owner, while it may stay or it may follow you- you can't own it or stall it. You may fast travel later and it just randomly pop up next to you while not even riding it..hah.

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Where/how? I want a dog.

Outside of Markarth, near the stables. You can buy a dog from the guy there.

There's also a missing dog outside of Falkreath, but that's a whole other story.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Actually the greybeards are on top of the mountain directly to the right of Whiterun. :)

Really? The quest icon on the world map makes it look like I have to go up the Riften side of the mountain.

Does anyone have/use the guidebook? Want to know if it's worth getting.

Games like this, I want to do all the quests and discover everything I can. Don't really care about weapon stats/etc.. but like the quest walk-throughs and stuff in guidebooks.

But so far this seems pretty easy to find/finish quests. Would the guidebook be worth the price?

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Really? The quest icon on the world map makes it look like I have to go up the Riften side of the mountain.

Games like this, I want to do all the quests and discover everything I can. Don't really care about weapon stats/etc.. but like the quest walk-throughs and stuff in guidebooks.

But so far this seems pretty easy to find/finish quests. Would the guidebook be worth the price?

Are you on an internet connection right now :D I haven't purchased a guide book in YEARS. Unless it's like 5$ and you want to save yourself the hassle of typing in whatever your looking for into google......

Troynos
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Are you on an internet connection right now :D I haven't purchased a guide book in YEARS. Unless it's like 5$ and you want to save yourself the hassle of typing in whatever your looking for into google......

More like the computer is upstairs, the XBox is downstairs and I'm too lazy to get up and look everytime I have a question, lol

bluebikerboy1
12-12-2011, 01:39 PM
how long does it take for them to put out patches to fix the glitches?
i dont even want to marry or start the bard college stuff because of the glitches :(

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM
More like the computer is upstairs, the XBox is downstairs and I'm too lazy to get up and look everytime I have a question, lol

I use my smartphone in those circumstances!

how long does it take for them to put out patches to fix the glitches?
i dont even want to marry or start the bard college stuff because of the glitches :(

They are working quickly. Considering the size and scope of the game, the glitches really don't hamper you that much. Word is the next patch will fix:

The Bards College
Certain Marriage quests
The Companions Quests
The Markarth/Forsworn issue

The patch is hitting PC's today or tomorrow and Xbox/PS3 towards the end of the week.

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 01:49 PM

Well, you have to find a lady, and then find a guy in Riften......the mountain entrance is on the Riften side but it is pretty far away from Riften, and near a little hamlet town. There are the thousand steps....

And there you can get sidetracked by the thieves guild and that opens a whole new can of worms, and one of my favorite quests so far, because it is the exact opposite of my character build and personality...

Troynos
12-12-2011, 01:52 PM
[COLOR="Pink"][B]

I use my smartphone in those circumstances!

I did that last night for the Missing In Action quest to find out where the evidence of Gray-Mane being alive was kept.

Too bad Orlfina Gray-Mane isn't more appreciative of me finding her brother. She'd make a good wife, lol.

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I did that last night for the Missing In Action quest to find out where the evidence of Gray-Mane being alive was kept.

Too bad Orlfina Gray-Mane isn't more appreciative of me finding her brother. She'd make a good wife, lol.

Haha I thought the same thing :D In terms of attractive avatars, some of the wife choices aren't great shakes. Of course, I rushed through character creation to get into the game so my dude looks like he got whopped by the Ugly stick really bad. If I had thought it out more I would have played as a Nord heavy weapons expert for my first run through. Instead I'm an imperial Heavy/Mage that sided with the Nords.....

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Troy, I have the guide but only use it when all else fails, but I do look at the chapter front page all the time to see how many main quest type things I've never completed...it boggles my mind....

I will probably break it out and actually "use" it after I complete the main dragon quest/plot.....and try to find all the mini-quests I missed and locate random caves and such.

It should be worth the $25 it is as thick as a phone book.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, you have to find a lady, and then find a guy in Riften......the mountain entrance is on the Riften side but it is pretty far away from Riften, and near a little hamlet town. There are the thousand steps....

And there you can get sidetracked by the thieves guild and that opens a whole new can of worms, and one of my favorite quests so far, because it is the exact opposite of my character build and personality...

Sweet. Looks like I'm heading to Riften, lol

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Riften is a great town :D I started the thieves guild stuff last night, and that's what I'll be doing tonight, and tomorrow, and the next night....

Also, if you haven't started them. The Daedra quests are all great. Clavicus Vile is my personal favorite quest in the entire game so far.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Riften is a great town :D I started the thieves guild stuff last night, and that's what I'll be doing tonight, and tomorrow, and the next night....

Also, if you haven't started them. The Daedra quests are all great. Clavicus Vile is my personal favorite quest in the entire game so far.

It's things like that, that make me want the physical guidebook over the internet. With the guidebook you can flip through and see if there's an extra quest you might have accidently missed.

With the internet, kind of need to know what you're looking for.

Black Llama
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
It will help extend your game life though. I always play my Elder Scrolls games as a real adventure. I try to use fast travel as little as possible, which leads to more quests. Once I'm done I will look to see if I missed anything major, but generally I like to play the game as if I'm reading a fantasy book.

Troynos
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
That's typically how I play, but I just like the ability to flip through and make sure I got everything right before I'm ready to move on.

Like ready to leave Whiterun and want to make sure didn't miss anything.

I tend to wander overland from one place to another and follow the map to new and interesting things, but I'm leery of just wandering into a fort or something when come across it.

First or second day playing, I cleared Fort Greymoor just because it was in the way. I wasn't able to free the prisoner, not high enough lockpicking.

Just remember he was there last night, went back and the Imperials had taken over the fort.

So afraid I missed something.

When traveling, if come across a new area that don't have quest for, I just discover it and move on, so can fast travel later when need to.

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I love the cat people...I'm not familiar with elder scrolls, but I love their race. Can you role play as a cat person? J'Zargho may be my favorite traveling companion.....Khajiit rule!

I'm not sure if you run into any female khajiit except the sellers, but I dig their personalities...

bluebikerboy1
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
how do you start the thieves guild?

pig iron grenadier
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
how do you start the thieves guild?

In the Riften town square "circle"...LOL. There is a guy around all the seller stalls wanting you to do him a favor..an illicit favor. Then it starts after you fulfill that deed.

bluebikerboy1
12-12-2011, 11:30 PM
In the Riften town square "circle"...LOL. There is a guy around all the seller stalls wanting you to do him a favor..an illicit favor. Then it starts after you fulfill that deed.

good to know :)

Black Llama
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Last night was the first night I didn't play SkyRim since it dropped. Allergies and cold meds got the worst of me. I shall rectify this today. I'm in the middle of a random dungeon that's been dropping some killer stuff :D

Troynos
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
I haven't played in couple days. Won't be able to play until the weekend.

pig iron grenadier
12-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I've taken two days off...I was neglecting life and sleep....

bluebikerboy1
12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
ehh life and sleep is for wussies, man up :p

pig iron grenadier
12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Well, I'm actually getting to the point of questioning if I should start the end run..I'm level 45 or 46 now.....the side quests are still there when I'm done so I'm thinking of doing it. I think I'm ready with Daedric armor...it's either that or wait until I get the dragon plate....
I don't want to spoil anything so i'll leave it at that....

bantor2
12-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, I'm actually getting to the point of questioning if I should start the end run..I'm level 45 or 46 now.....the side quests are still there when I'm done so I'm thinking of doing it. I think I'm ready with Daedric armor...it's either that or wait until I get the dragon plate....
I don't want to spoil anything so i'll leave it at that....

I'm thinking the same thing. I'm lvl 38 and think it's time to do finish the main quest. Maybe i can get a challenge.

Weapon XIX
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm at 46 now and decided to start act 3 finally, but my framerate issue starts coming back sporadically and I've been experiencing a lot of crashes. I've got the patch and the latest PS3 firmware update, but it seems now like I can't play for more than an hour or two before the screen freezes and I give up for the night. My save file is around 11MB.

On another note I highly recommend the Daedric quest revolving around Septimus because the reward is very nice - a big skill boost on several skills depending on one of 3 choices which also gives you a big level boost. I'm sure at the lower levels it may even be a 2 or 3 level boost, but at the higher levels it got me from midway 45 to midway 46.

Also I got the Ebony Blade and am very tempted to hire a bunch of mercenaries to pump this sucker up (it gets more powerful when you use it to kill followers). It's 2h weapon, which I've barely used in the game, BUT it benefits from 1h skill perks so I don't have to boos the 2h skill tree for it to be effective. Very tempted...

Alyosha
12-16-2011, 11:24 AM
If you check out the Skyrim Wiki, the framerate issue has only been put off, not actually fixed. Your going to continue to have issues with it, and it could possibly even bleed over and affect your hard-drive if it continues.

Bugs (Skyrim) - The Elder Scrolls Wiki (http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Skyrim_Bugs)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Skyrim_Cheats

Weapon XIX
12-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I was just reading about a lot of folks having this problem post 4.00 firmware update and that turning off the autosave function helps a bunch. But if these crashes are going to corrupt my startup software and mess up my PS3 permanently like the wiki suggests, then I'm going to have to take a break from playing until a new patch comes out.

bluebikerboy1
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
if there game corupts our ps3 hard drives are they held responsible for it or are you just refering to pc hard drives?

pig iron grenadier
12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Bethesda Civil Suit? Great.....

Weapon XIX
12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
if there game corupts our ps3 hard drives are they held responsible for it or are you just refering to pc hard drives?

PS3 hard drive. And I was wondering who would ultimately be held responsible considering the crashing problem has only really been an issue (for me anyway) since Sony's 4.00 firmware update.

Alyosha
12-16-2011, 05:18 PM
I did disable all the auto save features, and it hasn't helped that much. Now instead I get hard freezes that lock up the entire hard drive, and have to do a hard shut down and replay whatever I just lost. Sprinting or riding a horse (Shadowmere also disappeared and hasn't come back anywhere) makes it worse. I've only gotten the "error message" a couple of times, and I hope it stays that way.

About Shadowmere, make sure you do the quest involving the Black-Briars (Riften) horse Frost without Shadowmere present. Either take him back to his spawn and grab another horse from a stable or do this mission before the Guild mission where you get him originally as I believe that this is what caused the problem. I also have at least one crypt I can't access because the claw won't open it, even though it's the correct one.

I really wish there was a game save editor (as there is with most X Box games) to fix some of this stuff.

pig iron grenadier
12-16-2011, 05:23 PM
I get hard freezes on Xbox...seems worse after the patches actually.

pig iron grenadier
12-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Whoo Hoo......Now it's just side quests and ancillary stuff. :(

Minor Minor Spoilers......

When you get to Sovengarde you must look straight up...straight up...It may be one of the coolest cinematics I've seen in a game...

pig iron grenadier
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I will add...the final act was quick....really quick.

It probably would have felt more epic had I not been level 47 when doing it....I'd suggest doing it at or around level 40....to make it more fun and challenging...
Still fun...

bluebikerboy1
12-17-2011, 02:57 PM
im noticing more freezes too. i had 2 last night and both resulted in me haveing to hard turning the system off and one of thoes came up the ps3 wasnt shut down properly and had to scan the hard drive.
I really hope this gets fixed cause its getting anoying.

bantor2
12-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm also getting super lag, i've read a way to help it out is to go into an Inn or something like that and wait for 30 days, but of course it doesn't work. This is really frusrating. It seems if i'm in an all snow area like Winterhold area the game plays decent but if i go to a forested area or anywhere with rain i might as well just quit.

pig iron grenadier
12-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm on 360 and it happens to me too (Game/system crash). Seems to happen once each session while I'm playing now. I save more often now, but over top of previous saves. I only have 2 saves now and delete auto saves often. It still happens...it was fine until the last 2 updates that seemed to make it progressively worse.

Alyosha
12-17-2011, 07:22 PM
There was an update last night for PS3 game. Should be number 1.03 for those making sure they have it. The game did seem to run better with only two freezes in about 6 hours and no error messages. Still, it take so much away from the experience when that happens.

pig iron grenadier
12-17-2011, 07:34 PM
I was alone in a dungeon fighting solo against 6 Deathlords and Draugr (SP?). I beat them and went through the door.....and freeze.....I lost my whole suspension of disbelief. So, I know what you mean Aly.

bantor2
12-17-2011, 07:45 PM
There was an update last night for PS3 game. Should be number 1.03 for those making sure they have it. The game did seem to run better with only two freezes in about 6 hours and no error messages. Still, it take so much away from the experience when that happens.

thanks for the heads up man i will DL this right now!

Weapon XIX
12-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Downloaded 1.03 this morning. No crashes yet, but there's still some pretty inconsistent open world lag. None in dungeons, but out in wide open Skyrim it's still there from time to time. In certain areas it's brutal.

Alyosha
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Finished the main quest last night after starting Civil War. Had one freeze, but didn't lose anything to speak of. Strange thing is that you can't do the last few Dragon Quests without starting Civil War.

Oh, and right before you travel to Sovngarde be sure to grab the final Dragon Priests' staff. I didn't and have lost it for good. Did get his mask though. Then made Alduin my bitch. Only had to hit him with my insanely overpowered sword 4 times. Killed a Draugr Death Overlord in one hit as well.

pig iron grenadier
12-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Finished the main quest last night after starting Civil War. Had one freeze, but didn't lose anything to speak of. Strange thing is that you can't do the last few Dragon Quests without starting Civil War.

Oh, and right before you travel to Sovngarde be sure to grab the final Dragon Priests' staff. I didn't and have lost it for good. Did get his mask though. Then made Alduin my bitch. Only had to hit him with my insanely overpowered sword 4 times. Killed a Draugr Death Overlord in one hit as well.

I'm pretty sure it takes the staff to open the portal, and then it disappears.... I could be wrong.

Zarana
12-18-2011, 05:33 PM
By this time next week I should understand this thread. If not I will ruin Christmas.

Black Llama
12-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Man, sorry to hear you guys are having such issues :| I've had maybe 3 crashes total since starting on my 360. All of them have been loading towns. The only slow spot I get is loading my house in Markarth takes about 6 seconds to auto save. Otherwise no problems.

Alyosha
12-19-2011, 01:54 AM
nah, I tried to take the staff after smashing the crap out of the priest. The portal was open, and it wouldn't let me (and all guides say it should), so I just jumped in. Boom, Viking heaven.

pig iron grenadier
12-19-2011, 02:16 AM
nah, I tried to take the staff after smashing the crap out of the priest. The portal was open, and it wouldn't let me (and all guides say it should), so I just jumped in. Boom, Viking heaven.

When I did it.....I had to kill the priest. I looted his body then took the staff and placed it on the pedestal which opened the portal. I wanted his mask more than anything so I didn't think to try to grab the staff before I stepped into the void...

bantor2
12-19-2011, 02:55 AM
what is civil war and how do you start it. I want to destroy the Stormcloaks. They attack me all the time and i do nothing to them.

Troynos
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Started messing around in Riften. I want to take out the Black-Briars. I'm kind of stuck with Frost right now. Got his papers from Maven, got the horse, but can't find Latesh to give him the horse.

Got married to Ysolda in Whiterun. Like the extra income from her shop, but damn she's annoying when get home. "Hello my love" "goodbye my love".

Weapon XIX
12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
The civil war refers to the warring between the Stormcloaks and Imperials. To start the quest line you have to choose a side and head to that side's base camp. If you want to kill Stormcloaks, then head over to the imperial city of Solitude and talk to General Tullius. He'll get you started.

I still have plenty of sidequests, but I think I'm going to take the plunge and try to finish the main quest. I'm at level 47 right now, and based on what you guys have been saying I may bump up the difficulty to give myself more of a challenge. I'm looking forward to it!

bluebikerboy1
12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
i made a booboo
i placed a custom marker (destination point) on my map. How do i make it go away? i dont want it.
I have the ps3 version.
i tried scrolling over it and pressing X but nothing happens. I then tried to go to a location i discovered, place the custom marker there and fast travel to it and that didnt make it go away either.
any ideas or am i stuck with a marker I dont want?

bluebikerboy1
12-19-2011, 01:59 PM
im still playing around in furkloh? (sp) and white run,
only a level 17.

preaty high on my archery skills though :)

Troynos
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I can't make a custom marker disappear, it stays there until I make a new one.

bantor2
12-19-2011, 02:49 PM
i made a booboo
i placed a custom marker (destination point) on my map. How do i make it go away? i dont want it.
I have the ps3 version.
i tried scrolling over it and pressing X but nothing happens. I then tried to go to a location i discovered, place the custom marker there and gfast travel to it and that didnt make it go away either.
any ideas or am i stuck with a marker I dont want?

I have the PS3 version too and it seems that after you go to the destination you marked open your map and it will give you the option to remove it replace it or leave it.

pig iron grenadier
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Just move it ...check a quest to make it main then make the controller show you where it is on the map..then place a new marker next to the cave, town, etc....the old marker should go away... I dunno you pretty much always have one destionation marker glowing blue at any given time...

pig iron grenadier
12-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Started messing around in Riften. I want to take out the Black-Briars. I'm kind of stuck with Frost right now. Got his papers from Maven, got the horse, but can't find Latesh to give him the horse.

A slight Civil War spoiler.....

If you don't like the Black-Briars don't side with the Imperials in the Civil War...... Jarls can/will change at various places depending on who you side with.

Troynos
12-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Wasn't planning on siding with the Imperials.

I'm a true Nord!

pig iron grenadier
12-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Wasn't planning on siding with the Imperials.

I'm a true Nord!
Holla........Stormblade! :)

Troynos
12-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Where do I find Louis Letash to give him the horse?

pig iron grenadier
12-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Bee and Barb....

Iron Guru
12-19-2011, 11:07 PM
I was thinking of picking this up either this week or next, but I don't like what I've been reading about with the freezing issues on both systems. Maybe I'll just wait for the G.O.Y. edition for them to iron those issues out

pig iron grenadier
12-19-2011, 11:31 PM
It's worth a few freezes on Xbox (not that bad--it happens to me about once every 5-6 hours of play) to get it now.....I can't validate that with PS3 I don't know.

Iron Guru
12-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah I'm still trying to decide about what I'm going to get. Best Buy has the new Saints Row on sale for $40 but, TRU has Skyrim for $40, and the Metal Gear set for $35. So I'm not sure which two I'll get.

Talisman
12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah I'm still trying to decide about what I'm going to get. Best Buy has the new Saints Row on sale for $40 but, TRU has Skyrim for $40, and the Metal Gear set for $35. So I'm not sure which two I'll get.

Having played and paid in full for both Saints Row and Skyrim, you'll get a hell of a lot more mileage out of Skyrim than Saints Row. I think I clocked about 8-9 hours to wrap up the main plot of SR and about half of the side-missions.

I'm 70 hours in on Skyrim and I STILL haven't done half of the stuff.

As for MGS... It's... well, it's MGS. Nothing has really changed, it's just in HD now. Rented it, got bored (lack of patience).

Troynos
12-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Bee and Barb....

He's never there when I've gone back.

I haven't had any major freezes. I get like a second or two now and then but nothing worse.

(course now I've jinxed myself)

Weapon XIX
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Finished the main quest last night. No spoilers, but at level 47 it was damn easy. I bumped the difficulty up 2 notches and played it again. On the second runthrough the deathlords were much harder, but the the final fight was still over quickly. I echo what pig iron grenadier said, for those of you not there yet, do the final quest at around level 40 to give yourself a bit of a challenge.

On to all the sidequests I still have in my queue and all the dungeons I have yet to enter - I saw a map the other day that had every point of interest marked and there are still so very many I have yet to visit.

Troynos
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I have so far to go. Probably done 85% of the quests get out of Whiterun and maybe 40% of the quests out of Riften. On the main quest I'm at the point where the Greybeards asked me to get the horn of Jurgen Windcaller.

pig iron grenadier
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
I still have only set foot in Falkreath 1 time (just recently), have only done one quest in Markath, and only visted 1 Orc stronghold. I think I've only finished 2 Daedric quests as well.
So Level 47, maxed about 4 skills, over 80 in about 6 others. Finished the main quest, finished civil war, companions, college of winterhold, thieves quild, and become Thane in all but 2 places.

And I'm at level 47 almost 48. Seems I have much yet to do to be maxed out at 50 soon.

Does anyone know if there is anything you can do with the Dwemer metals or is it just junk to sell?

I've also cut off a quest set, because I find myself liking Parthunax. ;)

Troynos
12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure what to do about the Thieves Guild quests. I don't have high skills in sneak/pickpocket and my urge is to just slaughter the thieves..

Serpymatt
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure what to do about the Thieves Guild quests. I don't have high skills in sneak/pickpocket and my urge is to just slaughter the thieves..

All the dudes in the sewers on the way there? I just massacred them all :)

pig iron grenadier
12-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure what to do about the Thieves Guild quests. I don't have high skills in sneak/pickpocket and my urge is to just slaughter the thieves.. Hold off on it then--it is actually one of my favorite quest lines..even though I'm never a rogue type....your skills only need to be basic to complete it, and lockpicking will boost itself while dungeon crawling..sneak is a bit trickier. The Thieves guild stuff is also tied into a Daedric quest.

I got the most enjoyment out of that quest line--it's the best written so far...

Troynos
12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
All the dudes in the sewers on the way there? I just massacred them all :)

Yeah, those guys got slaughtered already.

Hold off on it then--it is actually one of my favorite quest lines..even though I'm never a rogue type....your skills only need to be basic to complete it, and lockpicking will boost itself while dungeon crawling..sneak is a bit trickier. The Thieves guild stuff is also tied into a Daedric quest.

I got the most enjoyment out of that quest line--it's the best written so far...

Cool. I'll wait and do it later.

pig iron grenadier
12-20-2011, 02:46 PM
The Brotherhood line has never triggered on me yet..I'm about to cheat to figure out what needs done...I've had assassination attempts on me, but anything else? Nadda!

Alyosha
12-20-2011, 03:51 PM
SPOILERS!!!

Got to say, it was neat to meet Tsun, Jurgen Windcaller, Ysmir, and Olaf One-Eye in Valhal...oops, Sovngarde. As far as I could tell, those were the only named heroes in Sovngarde other than the three who assist you in the final battle and later become available to call for help.

Also, the lvl 50 cap has been done away with apparently, as I am at 55 and supposedly you top out around 80 (it varies according to how you appointed skills and whatnot).

pig iron grenadier
12-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Good to hear, Aly!

Talisman
12-23-2011, 04:23 AM
In case you guys missed it, Gavin "Miracle of Sound" Dunne (the guy who wrote and performed "Normandy" and "Commander Shepard") did it again.

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Miracle of Sound : Sovngarde Song (Skyrim) (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/5117-Sovngarde-Song-Skyrim)

In other news, maxed out smithing and One-Handed tonight. I've got a bit before I level up to decide whether or not I want to invest a point into Dragon smithing or put it elsewhere.

Black Llama
12-23-2011, 10:26 AM
The Brotherhood line has never triggered on me yet..I'm about to cheat to figure out what needs done...I've had assassination attempts on me, but anything else? Nadda!

Hmmm, I can't remember exactly how it started. I got a few of those letters. Something happened (and I can't remember what the hell it was) and I woke up in a cabin.... I'll leave the rest from there :D

I'm at level 43 now.
100 - 2 handed
90 - Heavy armor (which at 80 you get a perk that makes it weigh 0 and have no impact to your speed/stealth)
98 - Lock picking
92 - Speech
85 - Enchanting

Finished the Companions, Thieves Guild (which was fucking awesome), 4 Daedric Quests, I hit 100 side quests last night lol 26 dragon souls (love slow time and freeze).

Dweamer items can be smelted into ingots, not really worth it imho. At this time, if it's less than $500 in value, it's not worth it for me to carry.

Also, even if you don't like the Daedric stuff, do the quest to get the Sanguine Rose. It let's you summon a Dremora Lord to fight with you for 60 seconds, as much as you want.