PDA

View Full Version : DIC screwed Gi Joe...

Mermaniel
01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
I just watched some DIC episodes this weekend for the first time since I was a kid...Am I the only one who thinks this was crap???
I remember playing with the toys, but didnt remember the show to be so crappy...

Which one did you prefer? Sunbow or DIC...answer seems obvious to me, but you never know...

Trooper13
01-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Sunbow was pretty bad itself, and I didn't watch it often. I was long gone by the time DiC came around, but if I stayed home sick from school I caught it now and then. Yeah, it was BAD. It made Sunbow look like Gone with the Wind, at times. Most of the newer characters were just awful, and the writing was far worse, imo.

Scarlett-Jinx
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
haha, gone with the wind....... the animation was MILES better than DIC....... DIC had way to many bright colors and the animation didn't have a realish feel to it..... (not that Sunbow was perfect either) but atleast everything about sunbow wasn't a PSA... ugh lets not forget the "GOT TO GET TUFF, YO JOE" rap....... *ick*

ChaplainAsst
01-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I remember seeing the intro to the DiC Joe cartoon one afternoon and thinking, "They have ruined my favorite childhood tv show!" I was a teenager by then and long past Joes (or so I thought until I saw the 25th line). I never saw a whole episode until much later. Just the intro was THAT bad.

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I like this title.
DIC screwed many things in it's long career.
Not just sunbow.

EduardimusPrime
01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I would say both...

Comparing sunbow to DIC is like comparing regular shit to diarrhea...

But I digress...

As a kid I remember not liking DIC as much as sunbow.

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
As a kid I remember not liking DIC as much...

man, that was a close one! but still... you say, not as much.
just how much did you like it?

cobralalalala!
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
I've never seen any DIC episodes. I remember seeing the intro when I was a teenager, but I was not unto toys and cartoons at the time.

I would like to see a DVD release of the series so I can watch it now, you never know there might be some hidden gems in the show.

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I've never seen any DIC episodes..

well, there are a few sites Headman can recommend. .. .

WeaponXCustoms
01-24-2011, 04:55 PM
this thread is too easy! DIC did Joe right, Joe just didnt like it

EduardimusPrime
01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
man, that was a close one! but still... you say, not as much.
just how much did you like it?

Never had cable as a kid, so DIC was all I had for a long time till they started airing sunbow re runs again. I remember watching Joe mostly in the late 80's/early 90's. Watching a sunbow episode was a rare treat for me (even with all it's faults) in the second grade. Haha!

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Eh the later series was a product of what it was...times were becoming more PC for better or worse, and so did the cartoon and the toyline.

And sadly nothing has been the same...everything they do now and not just Joe, is designed to so many whims. Is it educational? Will parents and kids like it? Can it sell toys? Where can we stuff product placement in? Is one actor more likely to appeal to certain audiences over another? Etc, etc.

Nothing is as good as it used to be, but I can live with either show. I look at it like this one generation will love Shipwreck and think he's simply the best, another Captain Grid-Iron etc, etc.

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Never had cable as a kid, so DIC was all I had for a long time...

my god, your horrible, horrible childhood.
no child should have a steady diet of such.
has it ... has it scarred you as an adult?

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
this thread is too easy! DIC did Joe right, Joe just didnt like it

well, in all fairness... DIC didn't call back.
DIC could have offered to make breakfast.

Headman
01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
I just watched some DIC episodes this weekend for the first time since I was a kid...Am I the only one who thinks this was crap???
I remember playing with the toys, but didnt remember the show to be so crappy...

Which one did you prefer? Sunbow or DIC...answer seems obvious to me, but you never know...

You should be banned for this thread. It's seriously NOT crucial.

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM

and there he is...
was expecting something a bit more snappy, buddy.
surely you can do more with such a golden title.

Headman
01-24-2011, 05:12 PM
and there he is...
was expecting something a bit more snappy, buddy.
surely you can do more with such a golden title.

I'm not trying to be funny. I'm seriously offended by this thread.

EduardimusPrime
01-24-2011, 05:15 PM
my god, your horrible, horrible childhood.
no child should have a steady diet of such.
has it ... has it scarred you as an adult?

Oh the madness doesn't stop there my friend... I could only watch Gi Joe at about 6:30 in the morning. I would have preferred watching it after school, but disney's afternoon line up dominated the airwaves for years... Then my parents sold my GI Joe General rolling HQ for $20 at a yard sale. >_<

ero
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I've been picking up on a lot of hostility toward Sunbow around here lately. For a 'toon from the '80s, it is top notch. I just don't get it.

Obviously, I voted for Sunbow. DiC is, for the most part, junk. But the writing is no worse than He-Man and the Masters of the Universe which is, sad to say, god awful. I still like it, but purely for sentiment and seeing characters I loved as plastic action figures.

I've actually developed a love for DiC as of late. A lot of it is due in part to the carryover from Sunbow -- Latta as Cobra Commander (for awhile, at least) and the Sarge. I think the drug stuff is pretty unbearable, but the stories are fun -- if not the actual dialogue ("I just want a chance to teach that traitor Scoop a lesson," says Low-Light, ad infinitum.).

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I've actually developed a love for DiC as of late...

uhm, good luck with that?
does your girlfriend know?

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm not trying to be funny. I'm seriously offended by this thread.

comic gold, delivered to you on a platter.

Mermaniel
01-24-2011, 05:22 PM

DIC isnt crucial!! LOL! I liked the characters...Salvo, Rampart, Bullhorn, some others too...but man...the artwork is garbage!!! Pretty mcuh all of it is! lol

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
no one else is enjoying this thread on the 5 year old level that I am.
Weapon X, we have successfully wrecked 2 threads this afternoon.
job well done.

CVdelgado
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
i still love sunbow. yeah its corny, yeah it might be the best toon from the 80's, yeah it had some great stuff in it.

ive never seen a DIC episode, but from what ive seen, i dont really want to.

sorry headman...

luigi
01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
dic season 2 is better than dic season 1

ero
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
uhm, good luck with that?
does your girlfriend know?

No, but my wife has turned a passive eye. ;)

luigi
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/cobra941?blend=2&ob=1
also this guy has
gijoe sunbow
gijoe dic
sigma six
sgt savage
extreme

WeaponXCustoms
01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
job well done.

I cant find my epic high five picture!
wait no there it is
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1186/epichighfivec.png

Trooper13
01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
job well done.

I am, I've been laughing out loud reading all your responses. You're killing me. lol

Bleak5170
01-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Hasbro went with DiC for a reason and that's because they were cheaper. And man did it ever show. The animation was terrible, the voice-acting beyond awful, and it featured a lot of characters nobody really cared about.

What's really shocking is that 3 people actually voted for them, lol.

Dem_Yoe'z!
01-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Hasbro went with DiC for a reason and that's because they were cheaper. And man did it ever show. The animation was terrible, the voice-acting beyond awful, and it featured a lot of characters nobody really cared about.

What's really shocking is that 3 people actually voted for them, lol.

Hasbro loves to take the cheap route

I gotta say both Sunbow and DiC sucked. Dic Sucked worse, but I mostly just read the comic.

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Hasbro loves to take the cheap route

I gotta say DiC sucked. Dic Sucked worse

well, I've never been one to criticize her, but so long as the job gets done?!?

JoeMama
01-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Hasbro went with DiC for a reason and that's because they were cheaper.

damn straight! DIC's a cheap date.
dinner at Burger King, budweiser, than ruffie me up hasbro, I'm all yours.
But in vegas though... they have some high class DiC.
I don't think Hasbro can hang with that.
I feel gross now.

drunknmunky
01-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I remember seeing the Sunbow episodes when I was younger. My cousin used to babysit me when school was on summer break. I got dropped off at like 6 in the morning and the episodes were always on. But they were crap. I couldn't wait till the next DiC episode!

Scroll142
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
sunbow was my GI JOE growing up. just got the footlocker collection last year, still like it.

Derek2783
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh the madness doesn't stop there my friend... I could only watch Gi Joe at about 6:30 in the morning. I would have preferred watching it after school, but disney's afternoon line up dominated the airwaves for years... Then my parents sold my GI Joe General rolling HQ for $20 at a yard sale. >_<

Right there with you. I got up every morning to watch the DiC show for a long, long time. My mom made me sell my GI Joes a local consignment shop to cover the cost of a new coat, after I lost the one I had. She'd told me I should tie it around my waist or wear it, I said I could carry it, she said I'd have to pay for it if I lost it, I lost it, and I've been mad about selling off my Joes ever since. :D

I actually loved the show as a kid. Grid Iron was awesome, I loved Metal-Head too! As a little kid, that show really rocked, despite the poor animation and whatnot. Screw you haters, DiC was awesome.

The L.O.C.
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Right there with you. I got up every morning to watch the DiC show for a long, long time. My mom made me sell my GI Joes a local consignment shop to cover the cost of a new coat, after I lost the one I had. She'd told me I should tie it around my waist or wear it, I said I could carry it, she said I'd have to pay for it if I lost it, I lost it, and I've been mad about selling off my Joes ever since. :D

I actually loved the show as a kid. Grid Iron was awesome, I loved Metal-Head too! As a little kid, that show really rocked, despite the poor animation and whatnot. Screw you haters, DiC was awesome.

How much do you hate that jacket? I would have burned it!!!!

Darth Awgmon
01-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I haven't read a single post in this thread other than Mermaniel's OP, but anybody who picks DIC over Sunbow should be banned from this site. You'd have to be a complete dickhead to enjoy that DIC shit. Sorry, but that had to be said.

Monkeywrench
01-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Dic was awful

Gyre-Viper
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
they were both awful cartoon-wise. they were cartoons in the 80's though.
so not much to expect from them anyways.
there are a lot of 90's versions I prefer to the Sunbow look however.

Wry1
01-24-2011, 10:24 PM
DIC was on par with ROC.

knoxvelour
01-24-2011, 10:41 PM
when I was a little kid, nothing I enjoyed more than sitting on the floor watching the Sunbow shows while eating mac and cheese.

I didn't enjoy the newer shows as much. As guess as I got older my tastes matured as well because when there was DIC, there was stroganoff

Red Herring
01-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Dicks were made for screwing.

steve_smmr
01-24-2011, 10:58 PM
sunbow all the way. it is a blunt yet subtle social/political commentary of the 1980s that i find disgustingly humorous. i consider the sunbow series to be borderline satire.

the dic series just didn't have that. it also lacked in the character department; pathfinder < recondo.

luigi
01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
pathfinder < recondo.

of course pathfinder doesnt have a stash and recondo does and that makes all the difference

Python_Puckman
01-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Definitely
Is
Crap

bloth
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Any GI JOE is good GI JOE and far better than no GI JOE.
Especially for a ten year old.

steve_smmr
01-25-2011, 12:50 AM
of course pathfinder doesnt have a stash and recondo does and that makes all the difference

well, that and recondo didn't have a voice actor that made my ears bleed with his delivery of lines.

pdaaat
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
I think you meant ROC screwed GIJoe.........

steve_smmr
01-25-2011, 01:03 AM

no, rise of cobra RAPED g.i. joe.

666Werecat
01-25-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm ready for the onslaught, but does anyone have the DIC episodes to sell in any format. I didn't get to see the sunbow cartoon until a about 6 years back, i don't remember it ever airing in Australia. I do however remember the DIC.

Headman
01-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Ohhhh! I get it. Dic, meaning DICK had sex with Sunbow! HAHAHA Genius.

Scatman
01-25-2011, 02:43 AM
I had to vote Sunbow as I've never seen the DIC episodes. However, all the hate in this thread has made me want to find a copy of the episodes. My friends and I sometimes have a cheesy/crappy movie night and this sounds like it would fit right in just like Invasion USA/Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos night.

Red Herring
01-25-2011, 09:07 AM

GI Joe had it comming...

Mermaniel
01-25-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm ready for the onslaught, but does anyone have the DIC episodes to sell in any format. I didn't get to see the sunbow cartoon until a about 6 years back, i don't remember it ever airing in Australia. I do however remember the DIC.

You can find some of them here. As well as most Sunbow cartoons

Free Videos Online - Watch TV Online - Free Video Clips | Veoh (http://www.veoh.com/)

Dont go there man...Its not even funny, or entertaining...its just sad...well actually, maybe you have a few pints, it might be worth while! lol

kneroh
01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
I thought it was a pretty fair representation of the joes at the time.

luigi
01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I had to vote Sunbow as I've never seen the DIC episodes. However, all the hate in this thread has made me want to find a copy of the episodes. My friends and I sometimes have a cheesy/crappy movie night and this sounds like it would fit right in just like Invasion USA/Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos night.
YouTube - cobra941's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/cobra941?blend=2&ob=1)
also this guy has
gijoe sunbow
gijoe dic
sigma six
sgt savage
extreme
as posted eariler

luigi
01-25-2011, 11:02 AM

no but they are on u tube

JoeMama
01-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Dic was awful

you were supposed to spit, man.

Red Herring
01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
you were supposed to spit, man.

And you were supposed to tap his head twice.

ero
01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
job well done.

Ohhhh! I get it. Dic, meaning DICK had sex with Sunbow! HAHAHA Genius.

See, JoeMama, we might have thought it was funny. But since it's pronounced DEEK, well, it wasn't so much. It was more just kinda sad. Like watching an episode of DiC. (Insert -- ha! a pun! -- lame joke here.)

wertdog91
01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I grew up on the sunbow show and got out of it by the time Dic came around. Whatever I saw of dic has not been that watchable not that any of the sunbows were award winners themselves. Hell ever story had Duke getting captured, Snakeyes getting surprisingly beat up easy, for a ninja. In any event I voted sunbow.

Red Herring
01-25-2011, 02:13 PM
See, JoeMama, we might have thought it was funny. But since it's pronounced DEEK, well, it wasn't so much. It was more just kinda sad. Like watching an episode of DiC. (Insert -- ha! a pun! -- lame joke here.)

Stop being such a deek. ;)

Robowang
01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Nothing beats Cobra trying to take over the world by teaching a kindergarten class using altered "Cobra" history textbooks.

Except getting beaten by that kindergarten class and then pouting on the merry-go-round instead of retreating.

Kindergarten Commandos is the best episode of G.I.Joe ever.

JoeMama
01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
And you were supposed to tap his head twice.

that only counts in college.

Red Herring
01-25-2011, 02:28 PM
that only counts in college.

I prefer swallowers.

Less clean up.

rip_cord
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
YouTube - cobra941's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/cobra941?blend=2&ob=1)

thanks luigi!
i'll hold my vote for Sunbow until i get a chance to view the DiC series for the first time...gotta give it a fair shot?

Mermaniel
01-25-2011, 03:33 PM
thanks luigi!
i'll hold my vote for Sunbow until i get a chance to view the DiC series for the first time...gotta give it a fair shot?

Dont worry, Sunbow by a mile! You're gonna laugh your ass off...maybe cry actually...

rip_cord
01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Dont worry, Sunbow by a mile! You're gonna laugh your ass off...maybe cry actually...

i'm looking forward to it! :D

D00MTR0N
01-25-2011, 03:38 PM
i liked sunbow,d.i.c. sucked imo

JoeMama
01-25-2011, 03:46 PM
d.i.c. sucked imo

I am also of the opinion that it is a good thing.
even better when not just on birthdays, or drunken fridays.
Why can't we have 'like' buttons on Hisstank comments?
oh Facebook, you have spoiled us all.

JoeMama
01-25-2011, 03:48 PM

oh! burned by ERO! now you have ruined my day, and I am sad and alone in my den of joes, but alas, beer is close at hand and more awkward comments will follow.
Long live DiC jokes! May playgrounds / hisstank threads never be safe again!

Red Herring
01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
I enjoyed the DiC series.

I also enjoyed RoC.

ero
01-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Stop being such a deek. ;)

Douché

(DOO-shay)

:D

07GT500 COBRA
01-25-2011, 05:19 PM
I would like to see a DVD release of the series so I can watch it now, you never know there might be some hidden gems in the show.

I don't know. That might be like sifting through your dog's shite for a swallowed accessory. Think I'd pass.

steve_smmr
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't know. That might be like sifting through your dog's shite for a swallowed accessory. Think I'd pass.

i actually did rewatch the dic series about a year ago.... operation dragonfire has its moments, but falls on its face after that. chris latta has some golden lines, but it's not worth it to me. the second dic season, where cobra commander has the blue hood again is even worse.

WeaponXCustoms
01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
On a serious note there were a lot of cool figures and vehicles that came out of this series. Trying to re watch even the Sunbow series is painful though, all the "take them from behind" and "get them in the rear" comments among others, as an adult really make for a laughable experience and not in a good way. Its not captivating like it was as a kid, and Im over it. Rewatching the DIC episodes is only mildly worse, and thats only if you are paying THAT much attention to dialogue.

The thing that really gets me the most is how political some of the DIC stuff became. All the stops and controls and spending cuts the fictional government was trying to enforce on the military really echoed a lot of current mindsets that civilians have to our own armed forces today. Its overdone and exagerated in the cartoon of course but the fact that they even went there as a kids show? It was almost like they themselves were convinced Joe wasnt relevant anymore and needed to be side lined. I think its where the wheels were really starting to fall off because they took away the timeless element of the series and started to add seemingly some personal agendas.

rip_cord
01-25-2011, 11:03 PM

wow. i haven't done either...i am sitting here dumbfounded?

i watched Day 1 of Operation Dragonfire & Eldorado, the Lost City of Gold so far.
it looks like S1 may be better than S2, but both pale in comparison to Sunbow - my vote is cast.

that said, i have the sneaking suspicion that i'll watch more...i guess i'm a glutton for punishment??? :D

luigi
01-25-2011, 11:31 PM
wow. i haven't done either...i am sitting here dumbfounded?

i watched Day 1 of Operation Dragonfire & Eldorado, the Lost City of Gold so far.
it looks like S1 may be better than S2, but both pale in comparison to Sunbow - my vote is cast.

that said, i have the sneaking suspicion that i'll watch more...i guess i'm a glutton for punishment??? :D

i like sunbow the best but dic wasnt too bad at least s2 had more know charters in it

dgnr82
01-25-2011, 11:35 PM
The most lasting impression of the Sunbow series was what I call "the iconic music". Personally, I think its whats lacking in the Renegades series.

rip_cord
01-25-2011, 11:42 PM
i like sunbow the best but dic wasnt too bad at least s2 had more know charters in it

maybe it'll grow on me?

thanks again for the link!

is there a DiC episode where the Joes are trying to locate someone using a guy in the desert who can't tell the truth?
i vaguely remember this being a Joe episode but it couldt have been something else?

GI C
01-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah,

I was not a fan of the DIC GI Joe version either.Sorry Headman but it was terrible.The Sunbow version was not as bad.The PC thing with the DIC GI joe was very obvious.The one character that really got under my skin was Metal Head.This was one of Detro's elite guys?The guy was a complete moron.Don't get me wrong.I loved the vehicles that came out at that time though.I had the Hammerhead tank.That thing was cool.Never had the General though.

Zefram
01-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Where's the option for, "neither"?

JoeMama
01-28-2011, 08:12 PM
maybe it'll grow on me?

stop beating it, and it might.
that'll make ya go blind, ya know.
over the top?
maybe 'that's what she said' works here?
no?
cliche?
how about a penile pump?
kidding.
don't hate.

luigi
01-28-2011, 08:14 PM
give it a chance and it can be amazing but go in hating and u will most likely end hating so go in with a open mind

CrimsonGuard101
01-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh hell no DIC weas horrid..it was like Cheech and Chong did it or somehting wait... no... that would be compliment scratch that...more like MC hammer got to gether with Mr. Belvidere and music done by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince kinda crap...

Sunbow FTW!

luigi
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
CG101 u just love hating dont u

JoeMama
01-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Oh hell no DIC weas horrid..

there are exercises you can do, maybe some practice w/ films in advance if performance is an issue?

JoeMama
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
give it a chance and it can be amazing

uhm.. ahem.
ready?
that's what she said..
wait.
no, no.
that doesn't work here entirely.
aw, f-it.
I'm thread destroying.

CrimsonGuard101
01-28-2011, 08:19 PM
CG101 u just love hating dont u

only when your in the thread my dear :)

Gatchaman
01-29-2011, 02:24 AM
give it a chance and it can be amazing but go in hating and u will most likely end hating so go in with a open mind

Thats what I keep telling my wife!

Breakerfan
01-29-2011, 02:28 AM
As a kid, I watched the Sunbow episodes, but never thought they held a candle to the Marvel comic. In jr. high/high school, the DIC episodes came on tv and I really wanted to watch them but never got home in time so I can't say. I do want to see them though.

miscreant
02-05-2011, 05:01 AM
DIC served their purpose in that at least it managed to advertise the toys.

...but what's this about DIC screwing *everything*?

Starcom at least was a decent cartoon.

Steel Brigade
02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
You have to keep in mind that DIC was actually paying Hasbro to make a new GI Joe cartoon at that time & not the usual standard of Hasbro paying for the cartoon to be made.

DIC was looking to take the TV animation world over at that point by actually LICENSING brands & dominating children's TV by being a licenser rather that a work force. They believed this would make them the leader in TV animation, as well as run the other competition out of the picture. After Hasbro's bad ending with Sunbow as a cooperative, it's easy to see why Hasbro would jump at the chance for a money making refresh, as they planned on not making any new animation for their properties for quite sometime after 1988. Hasbro in turn probably let them have a hefty boost of creative freedom as they were just making money off the title. Therefore DIC's venture into GI Joe was easy revenue rather than a owners "push" which lead the overall quality to suffer, it was cheap all around & did the bare essentials to be made.

Dust Viper
02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Sunbow.

The animation holds up. The voice acting is actually superior to most shows today. Sunbow Joe had a formula, but it did it well. I'd put Revenge of Cobra up against any Joe story out there, seriously.

I also am thankful; they managed to focus their episodes on the characters. Even when outlandish things were going on, the characters still behaved as humans and not just plot devices.

DIC just seemed to exist to put out a commercial for the toys, I will admit to getting a little joy seeing later figs and toys animated, but sorry, the show was unwatchable. Bad voice acting, cheap scripts, no characterization, and horrible animation equals a bad show.

Mermaniel
02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Got to get tough! Yo Joe!

YouTube - S01E12 GIJOE (DIC)Pigskin Commandos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCK0a5aMznQ&feature=related)

JoeMama
02-06-2011, 12:14 AM
DIC served their purpose in that at least it managed to advertise the toys.

...but what's this about DIC screwing *everything*?

Starcom at least was a decent cartoon.

not a DIC joke... but man, I loved Starcom.
Great toys, don't remember what the cartoon was about, but loved it.
haha.
you said Dic served their purpose.
sure did!

elanmars
02-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I grew up on the sunbow show and got out of it by the time Dic came around. Whatever I saw of dic has not been that watchable not that any of the sunbows were award winners themselves. Hell ever story had Duke getting captured, Snakeyes getting surprisingly beat up easy, for a ninja. In any event I voted sunbow.

snake eyes was constantly getting his ass kicked and captured in sunbow, when he did appear (which wasn't often to begin with).

to echo an earlier comment, my take-sunbow is runny shit almost to diarrhea, dic is diarrhea. they're both awful and enjoyable here and there.

ero
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
I am a HUGE fan of Sunbow.

The animation holds up. The voice acting is actually superior to most shows today. Sunbow Joe had a formula, but it did it well. I'd put Revenge of Cobra up against any Joe story out there, seriously.

I also am thankful; they managed to focus their episodes on the characters. Even when outlandish things were going on, the characters still behaved as humans and not just plot devices.

Man, you nailed it.

I will admit to getting a little joy seeing later figs and toys animated

That about sums up my feelings on it.

Indy
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Theonly thing I liked about the DiC version was that intro song and Heavey Duty!

I have one DiC Episode on VHS that came with a toy.

JR0d28
02-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Sunbow is to the classics as DIC is to a train wreck. Caught a one of the 1988 eps as reruns on tv at 5:30 in the morning as a kid. Watch about 5 min then turn off tv and got ready for school. Never saw it again, good thing animation looked like it was drawn out in 5 minutes.

Saboteur
02-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Literally!....

Echo7Solo
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I wouldn't say DIC screwed GI Joe but it was a different style and tone. Not all of it was bad but to throw the blame on the turn GI Joe took on DIC is just wrong.

NightVyper
02-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I only remember Sunbow episodes...I think.
I saw one episodes with Alley Viper by chance was that DIC? with him being one my favorites i watched but I dont remember if it was any good.

mackettric
02-20-2011, 03:54 AM
DIC truly killed Sunbow as we knew it. They underbid for GI Joe, they convinced Hasbro that Sunbow was nothing more than a New York advertising agency spending far too much, then as usual- DIC Did It Cheap. What was a show with superb Toei or Akom animation and SAG voice actors per show became another cheap DIC special. Compare the animation cels, compare the storyboards, the Marvel/Sunbow version of GI Joe was heads and tails above the DIC version in every way. Only DIC thought the kids watching the show were too stupid to notice. DIC was all about profit.

Ever wonder why when USA Network ran the Sunbow GI Joe episodes in the 90's the Sunbow episodes had the DIC GI Joe "Got to Get Tough" theme? It was because the DIC executives got a music royalties every time their theme was aired, so they got Hasbro to let them replace the them for the Sunbow episodes. DIC was taking a page out of Haim Saban's book and making a profit putting their theme on a show they hadn't created. Slimy, evil company.

I for one am thrilled DIC GI Joe hasn't seen the light of day. Less money for Andy Heyward and the Do It Cheap Team.

THE RED SHADOWS
02-20-2011, 04:12 AM
i DID LOVE THE THEME SONG BUT OVERALL THE SERIES WAS NOT AS GOOD AS SUNBOW

there were a few fun eps but there were many crappy ones too

GeneralEagle
02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
i don't remember too much about the DIC seasons. i was just starting to outgrow Joe at the time and only watched a few episodes. so i can't really say whether DIC ruined Joe or not.

topnotch97
02-20-2011, 06:36 PM
DIC screwed Gi Joe...

is she preggers? :D

blayze5150
02-20-2011, 06:54 PM
The thing that I feel screwed up the original ARAH line was the departure from realistic military vehicles to futuristic vehicles (like Battleforce 2000 and Star Brigade), silly gimmicks (like Street Fighter), and over doing the whole Ninja angle (Ninjas aren't bad, it just seems like we got overdosed in the 90's). DIC was on the air when alot of that happened, but it was Hasbro looking for lightning in a bottle instead of sticking to the formula that screwed things up.

Indy
02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I kinda viewed DIC as a "YMMV" trope more than anything. Then again, when I saw the DIC series, I was 8.