PDA

View Full Version : So why Tunnel Rat?

Macross7
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
While I am enjoying Tunnel Rat's personality & like him in the show, why was he choosen to be part of the cast? Everyone else is first few years of ARAH characters. Tunnel Rat joined during the movie. He wasn't that big of a character in the comics that I recall.

It was the same with Sigma Six. Pretty much cast of early years characters but Tunnel Rat is there (I'm not counting Heavy Duty since he was 'Roadblock' essentially).

Is there a big Tunnel Rat following I'm not aware of?

Monkeywrench
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I have been wondering that too. I don't really understand the TR following. I like him but I never think of him as a must have character.

Dangerjoe
01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
he is one of fave, so i am glad to see him in the cartoons

ponygt
01-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Maybe they are giving a tip of the hat to Larry Hama since TR was designed to resemble him.

samantha
01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I can tell you that i do not know why they included him but I am glad they did. He is one of my Favorite Characters.

primetoystore
01-17-2011, 08:29 PM
My guess is to add a hispanic character to capture a larger cultually diverse demographic.

Saboteur
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
He is a popular character, with specialties that come in helpful. What is it that makes him popular? Why is about anyone that makes them popular?

ChaplainAsst
01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Pretty sure Nicky Lee is not hispanic. Pretty sure it's Asian.

primetoystore
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Oh, I always thought he was hispanic. My bad. Either way he does add more cultural diversity.

atomsmasher
01-17-2011, 08:35 PM
What do we know about this core character? Duke is no longer a person I can see as a commander of any force when the GI joe team forms up not as a Cobra is bad we think but Cobra is bad that the show shall eventually go into. In the past he's just a minesweeper. He stole Tripwire's job!
Scarlet Is intel, Snake Eyes is Super Ninja (I can't begin to describe how much he's making me hate this show.) Tunnel Rat is uh.....well due to Duke's past wouldn't he know how to do Tunnel Rat's job. The only useful thing he's done is played Herbalist Medic.

SH0CKWAVE
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
he's Asian.

kneroh
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
He has a different look than all the other Joes. He's the only small guy on the team.

When framing a shot it just looks more real to have some diversity in size with the characters.

M_renegade
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM
He has a different look than all the other Joes. He's the only small guy on the team.

When framing a shot it just looks more real to have some diversity in size with the characters.

This.
They couldn't add Rock n Roll cos Roadblock is already the big guy.
A small, funny guy was needed, and TR fitted well.

And well...he's f***ing Larry Hama!

(i also think they kept a cast similar to Sigma 6)

SH0CKWAVE
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM

as in depth of field and contrast of size within a shot?

Visual Design 101

samantha
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
What do we know about this core character? Duke is no longer a person I can see as a commander of any force when the GI joe team forms up not as a Cobra is bad we think but Cobra is bad that the show shall eventually go into. In the past he's just a minesweeper. He stole Tripwire's job!
Scarlet Is intel, Snake Eyes is Super Ninja (I can't begin to describe how much he's making me hate this show.) Tunnel Rat is uh.....well due to Duke's past wouldn't he know how to do Tunnel Rat's job. The only useful thing he's done is played Herbalist Medic.

I think Duke is starting to form the leadership quality that he will need to lead.

KingBiohazerd
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
*sigh* just go with and see where it goes!

speedocub
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I really like TR, I think he's just the thing the show needs to keep me interested while Duke and Scarlet compare man parts!

Little turned off by the 3 hairs on his chin, they could have given him a bit more than that.

SH0CKWAVE
01-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Little turned off by the 3 hairs on his chin, they could have given him a bit more than that.

just turn the lights off.

atomsmasher
01-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Samantha the character development is one of the reasons which make me love Renegades. What they show and what they leave open to touch upon in the future makes me smile regardless of how ugly the male Joes are in design. However I am finding the plot to be more or less the same. Joes get in trouble Snake Eyes suddenly appears does something Joes come on top. The advancement seems to be slowly disappearing into just the same episode over and over.

M_renegade
01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
just turn the lights off.

Or give him a paper bag!

carion
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
My guess is to add a hispanic character to capture a larger cultually diverse demographic.

Tunnel rat is Japenise-American not hispanic. He also seems to be the only Asian character in the GI Joe universe that is not a Ninja or related to the Arishikage clan, That might be part of his popularity. I remember when his figure first came out in 87 I thought he was a great character. i do with he would have been seen more in the original comic.

Bombardier
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
While I am enjoying Tunnel Rat's personality & like him in the show, why was he choosen to be part of the cast? Everyone else is first few years of ARAH characters. Tunnel Rat joined during the movie. He wasn't that big of a character in the comics that I recall.

It was the same with Sigma Six. Pretty much cast of early years characters but Tunnel Rat is there (I'm not counting Heavy Duty since he was 'Roadblock' essentially).

Monkeywrench didn't come around till later in the series. And RoadPig never made the series as far as I know, I think he was created even after Tunnel Rat, right?

Bombardier
01-17-2011, 09:27 PM
in any case, they do seem to like TR alot. He even had a very imporant role in Resolute.

Monkeywrench
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Monkeywrench didn't come around till later in the series. And RoadPig never made the series as far as I know, I think he was created even after Tunnel Rat, right?

I think he's referring to the Joes only.

rfarrell22
01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
It's just to be politically correct. They need an Asian character. I don't remember Lady Jaye being Hispanic, or Ripcord being black. That's just the world we live in. If the Renegades team is five white guys, it might stay true to GI Joe's past, but it wouldn't relate to todays culture. If you don't evolve, you die.

Bombardier
01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't really think it's because of political correctness as much as it is about TR being a fan favorite.

CVdelgado
01-17-2011, 09:49 PM
can we stop whining about political correctness? its 2011 already. its just correct to represent the diverse american population in children's television.

hes not hispanic, he's actually described as a mutt, but if you heard him say in the show his parents own a kosher chinese restaurant maybe jewish and chinese are what his families identify with the most.

he has been a favorite of mine since day 1 and it feels natural to have him heavily involved to me. plus he was big in sigma six from what ive heard.

Flint071
01-17-2011, 09:54 PM

Larry Hama should elbow drop you.

Griff
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
i love how tunnel rat, chuckles and jinx seem to get mad love but falcon is always like the dirty secret no one wants to talk about. Okay inthe beginning of the REAL joe flick he was kind of a nob but he got cool towards the end and he wasnt such a dillmonger int he comics yet he was and is always shown very little to no love. I mean c;mon the dudes a bad ass green beret for christ sakes..he should have more spotlight than duke.

G.I. Jennster
01-17-2011, 09:56 PM
i like TR. i think it's a good place to start. as far as Duke goes, you really didn't expect him to roll out the gate as the seasoned soldier we all know and love right? he needs time to develop. they all do. patience my children.

G.I. Jennster
01-17-2011, 09:57 PM
blade i <3 falcon too. always a fave for me

Griff
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
blade i <3 falcon too. always a fave for me

Someone ELSE Openly admits this? I suddenly don't feel so alone in the world lol.

artiepants
01-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I like Falcon too, but i didn't see the animated movie for years, so i only knew him from the comics and his file card. If i'd seen the movie first i'd have thought he was a total tool.

And Tunnel Rat's the best. (kinda bummed he didn't get a POC or Resolute fig, his 25th version left a bit to be desired...)

Dangerjoe
01-18-2011, 12:26 AM
I like Falcon too, but i didn't see the animated movie for years, so i only knew him from the comics and his file card. If i'd seen the movie first i'd have thought he was a total tool.

And Tunnel Rat's the best. (kinda bummed he didn't get a POC or Resolute fig, his 25th version left a bit to be desired...)

I figure we will be seeing one this year

Skylancer81
01-18-2011, 02:44 AM
Yea on the figure front I am betting we get 7 or 8 Joes, 3 basic Cobras and 5 named over the coarse of 2 years.

The 5 core joes Lady Jaye, Flint and maybe General Abernathy.

But will wait till Toy Fair and we will all know, and knowing is...

KingBiohazerd
01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
I like Falcon too!

Zefram
01-18-2011, 03:30 AM
When the X-Men cartoon premiered in the 90s people probably said the same thing about Gambit and Rogue. "Okay, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Wolverine... wait, WTF is Gambit?"

In any incarnation of Joe you're always gonna have a Duke and SE, same as in any version of X-Men you'll have Cyclops and Wolverine, but when it comes to casting the rest of the team they can always use the opportunity to shine a light on some characters that have potential to be popular, but haven't been given a major shot.

Weezus
01-18-2011, 03:43 AM
they made tunnel rat suck in 25th and beyond.

his original toy was my favorite gi joe.

the horrible asian dwarf that is shorter than scarlett but has a head twice the size annoyed me.

terrible figure.

wertdog91
01-18-2011, 06:43 AM
Pretty sure Nicky Lee is not hispanic. Pretty sure it's Asian.

Ha ha I was gonna say that. I dont know any hispanic Lee's

Freedom
01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
It's mainly for design asthetic. If you just saw a silhouette of the Renegades, you'd still be able to tell who is who.

G.I. Jennster
01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
somebody on another thread said falcon was only duke's bro in the movie. i was mulling this over as i layed in bed this morning and remembered the horrible DIC series with the headman and the drugs, and falcon was his bro in that one too.

so there.

Angry.Android
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
They also seem to be following the Sentai team arrangement more common in anime and live action Sentai Shows... The Straight laced Leader (duke) the dangerous Rebel (Snake Eyes) the Hawt chick (Scarlett) the lovable Big Guy (Roadblock) and the Nerd (Tunnel Rat)

The nerd is usually tech oriented, but can sometimes just have special skillsets or be highly skilled at lots of things. He usually is slight of build, and often has glasses.

Angry.Android
01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
somebody on another thread said falcon was only duke's bro in the movie. i was mulling this over as i layed in bed this morning and remembered the horrible DIC series with the headman and the drugs, and falcon was his bro in that one too.

so there.

Be careful, you just mentioned laying in bed and thinking about headman...that's like the tank equivalent of saying candyman 3 times to a mirror.....

G.I. Jennster
01-18-2011, 02:14 PM
roflmao!!

Red Herring
01-18-2011, 02:31 PM
That's what she said.

Ctrl_Z
01-18-2011, 02:43 PM

.. Tunnel Rat is Asian, dude. But I think the reason can still apply.

I've never thought to wonder why they chose TR. They could've chose anyone, and I wouldn't have thought twice about "why," as long as the character/story work.

I am wondering how they're going to start to bring all the Joes into this. How long until we get the huge Joe roster. There are so many I'm dying to see.

Red Herring
01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Tunnel Rat is considered part of the new O13.

Griff
01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Be careful, you just mentioned laying in bed and thinking about headman...that's like the tank equivalent of saying candyman 3 times to a mirror.....

Very true!!! I always make sure to put up my anti-headman charms and wards before i drift off to sleep. lol

spike78a
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM

2 words....larry hama

spike78a
01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Ha ha I was gonna say that. I dont know any hispanic Lee's

how about David Lee aka David Lee Garza.