PDA

View Full Version : If Cobra Industries true intentions get revealed. Do you think their PR would spin it

joedelta
01-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Imagine the potential the show could go if this happens. They could use the fact they supply jobs with benefits, the bio vipers would save lives fighting over seas, Amercian built products, etc. That would tear America in half and you could see old characters join certain sides. The Stall family would make a great episode based on this. The government could also side with Cobra over money and political reasons, leaving Hawk to join with the Renegades and start a freedom fighter type movement (think world without ends). Maybe even have an episode where Steeler, Clutch, Grunt sacrifice themselves to save the team.

Thoughts?

USAgent
01-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Interesting. But I like it better thinking CC is going to reveal himself to the world as an INSANE dictator type character that is incapable of controlling himself enough to be any sort of political/corporate ally to anyone. the joes will then be a fully formed top-secret military force created for countering his world domination type plans-

RolandofGilead
01-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I think that in the real world, this would definitely be the case. The US government would overlook Blackwater... I mean COBRA's evil deeds in the interest of huge kick backs and political funding.

I think that in the show, the next step will be for the Joes to prove themselves to General Abernathy, and he will then make them a covert group with the job of taking down Cobra behind the scenes much like Larry Hama's Joes in the comics.

If there's one thing I didn't like about the old cartoons, it was that they had this huge base that remained a visible target for Cobra. Not to mention that most civilians knew all about GI Joe and their exploits.

speedocub
01-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Seeing as how they are taking virtually no time what so ever to delve into this obvious goal, I'm sure it will be season 25 before we see a fully fledged Cobra!

Jmacq1
01-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Well, I think if Cobra's intentions went full-on public, even the government would be unable to overlook a group that's bent on world domination.

They would, however, only try to go after "the leadership" and leave as much of the corporation itself intact as possible to avoid "damaging the economy."

USAgent
01-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Seeing as how they are taking virtually no time what so ever to delve into this obvious goal, I'm sure it will be season 25 before we see a fully fledged Cobra!

can you imagine if it was Filmation doing it? 25 seasons would be 1,150 episodes! That would be a lot of build-up.

speedocub
01-17-2011, 07:30 PM
can you imagine if it was Filmation doing it? 25 seasons would be 1,150 episodes! That would be a lot of build-up.

I was thinking Simpson's...22 so far and no point.

MFJayman
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Ah, a thread for getting some good Cobra speculation on. I think this is gonna be good.

I'm guessing that by the end of season 1, the Joe team will really come together (Teams Duke and Flint, and the various secondary and cameo Joes introduced in season 1), and therefore set up season 2 for a much bigger, and maybe official (but still secret) Joe force.

I'm guessing, however, that Cobra will manage to maintain its public facade and image, at least through most of season 2. But with increasingly large cracks and fissures developing in that image.

These are just my tentative guesses for the moment.

joedelta
01-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Interesting. But I like it better thinking CC is going to reveal himself to the world as an INSANE dictator type character that is incapable of controlling himself enough to be any sort of political/corporate ally to anyone. the joes will then be a fully formed top-secret military force created for countering his world domination type plans-

True, but that would end the Renagades series, unless they Pull a Beast
Wars and rename it.

USAgent
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
True, but that would end the Renagades series, unless they Pull a Beast
Wars and rename it.

I'm feeling it's going to go the ben 10 route and get reinvented ever few seasons with an new storyline. This one is Joe:renegades. Once Cobra is outed it will become something new (still G.I.joe, but new tag line and new opening) Just something for them to try and keep it fresh with the kids. I think Ben 10 has been around longer than a lot of other serialized action toons on CN because of that 'reinventing' :)

samantha
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Some very good ideal.

MFJayman
01-17-2011, 08:08 PM
When and if Cobra's public image begins to crumble, Baroness is going to be having one hell of a bad time. Being that she is the architect and manager of that public image (according to her Renegades bio). Imagine the heat she'll be getting from CC, let alone from the government, military, corporate world, and the general public. Bad time to be her.

joedelta
01-18-2011, 12:10 AM
When and if Cobra's public image begins to crumble, Baroness is going to be having one hell of a bad time. Being that she is the architect and manager of that public image (according to her Renegades bio). Imagine the heat she'll be getting from CC, let alone from the government, military, corporate world, and the general public. Bad time to be her.

Destro will save her somehow, or she will have handed it off to another(maybe the twins) by then

Serpymatt
01-18-2011, 12:17 AM
If I were writing it and they wanted Cobra to become a full fledged evil outfit like before, what I would do would be to have Cobra Industries stock be purchased or a hostile take over by Extensive Enterprises. The twins would be introduced, Cobra still has funding, plus they have a legitimate hidden face again.

Monkeywrench
01-18-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm sure they will try

MFJayman
01-19-2011, 02:02 PM
To me, the way Renegades Cobra has been set up is so perfect, and makes so much sense, that I almost hate to think of any part of it crumbling (in terms of its public face). Even though they're the bad guys and all. I mean, if they are exposed and become akin to the Cobra from Sunbow or ARAH days, then where do you go from there? As powerful as Renegades Cobra is currently in material and monetary terms, I'd say 80% or more of its real power derives from the maintenance of its benevolent public image. Once that fails, I think its fate is sealed, no matter what happens subsequently.

I think the Joes are going to find that it is much harder to turn the public and the government against Cobra than they currently realize, even after presenting to the world seemingly solid evidence, even proof, of Cobra's misdeeds and evil intentions.

maczero
01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I've wondered about this as well. I think the post below would make the most sense from a storytelling perspective.If I were writing it and they wanted Cobra to become a full fledged evil outfit like before, what I would do would be to have Cobra Industries stock be purchased or a hostile take over by Extensive Enterprises. The twins would be introduced, Cobra still has funding, plus they have a legitimate hidden face again.

Serpymatt
01-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I've wondered about this as well. I think the post below would make the most sense from a storytelling perspective.

I may have to get this framed... proof to my wife that sometimes I do say stuff that makes sense ;)

Axewave
01-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Season 1 will end with the Joe's revealling Cobra Commander's actual appearance, to the shock and revulsion of the public, followed quickly by the thought: "He's got a hideous skin condition and health problems! He's naturally very shy about it, and that's no reason to hate on a guy! shame on you, Joes, for thinking that a physical deformity would mean that such a benevolent, compassionate CEO is evil! SHAME!"

MFJayman
01-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Yeah, they'd definitely need to get footage of him ordering a hit, or chopping up a body and throwing the pieces to human-eating pigs or something.

MFJayman
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
The Joes need to get a mole inside the Cobra organization. There have got to be some malcontents there already.

I'd love to see some future Joes actually be, at this point in the series, Cobra troopers/Blueshirts. To see them make such a switch, from Cobra to Joes, would be really cool, I think.