PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe: Renegades Episode 9 EXTENDED Promo Online

General Hawk
01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Whew! Took me forever to finally get lucky, but thanks to kenny's advice, I set the DVR a little later tonight and got the longer promo!

Some cool speaking lines from Zartan and a bit more action. Check it out!

YouTube - G.I. Joe: Renegades Episode Nine Extended Promo #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hE2YAtSXQ)

Zartan is growing on me.

TheFallen
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
I like the look of Zartan. I can't wait to see this episode. Renegades is way better than the movie and it just keeps getting better each episode

kennywr22
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Zartan is a badass!

helrod
01-13-2011, 09:11 PM
I hope they pull a Major blood and by the end Zartan will be the coolness we all love and no a sad soul patch sport'n cowboy biker.

Monkeywrench
01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
I can't wait!

RenHoek
01-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Aw, I miss his accent. Oh well, he looks cool enough.

Zefram
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Aw, I miss his accent. Oh well, he looks cool enough.

I don't think he really had an accent anywhere except Resolute. I don't think they ever mentioned where he was from in the comic.

Interesting to see where they're going, but I won't lie. I'm a little disappointed they took some of the mystique out of the character.

SNAKE EYES
01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Look's cool thanks for the clip Justin

manicmotive
01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
So, that's Zartan huh? Ok, well, he is a master of disguise, so maybe. . .

John_0515
01-13-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't think he really had an accent anywhere except Resolute. I don't think they ever mentioned where he was from in the comic.

Interesting to see where they're going, but I won't lie. I'm a little disappointed they took some of the mystique out of the character.

I'd wait and see where they take this.

Jay West
01-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Looks good. I hope we get some distinctive Dreadnoks.

TEMPLAR BAGGINS
01-14-2011, 12:19 AM
I don't miss the accent all that much. Zarana always seemed more Austrailian to me than her brothers anyway. And speaking of her, I hope that Hasbro doesn't drop the ball on including Zarana and Zandar in the new series. I don't see either one of them being peg warmers :) Can't wait to see the episode!

Super Beast
01-14-2011, 12:31 AM
DAMN! Totally just won me over. CAn't wait.

MeLikeJinx
01-14-2011, 12:56 AM
New Zartan looks cool! Not sure I am liking the non-military/non-G.I. Joe-like feel of the latest couple of eps though.

AlleyViper47
01-14-2011, 01:10 AM
sucks

T J Bang
01-14-2011, 03:14 AM
I like the cowboy look. wildbill needs another cowboy to tussle with

fhersanke
01-14-2011, 03:42 AM
someone notes the guy with the roadpig signature block hammer

sorry i really dont know how to name the weapon

Weezus
01-14-2011, 04:42 AM
meh

Black Swan
01-14-2011, 05:35 AM
I can't wait!

Less than 12 hours till Zartan and the 'Noks show up. "Cowboy Zartan" Master of Disguise.

dmizrok
01-14-2011, 07:31 AM

ARAH toon-he def. had an accent...and an echo like effect over it

Trooper13
01-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Never really cared for Zartan until RoC. Never cared for the 'Noks at all. However, I've liked what this team has done so far, so I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm interested to see how they handle the 'Noks in this universe. With the exception of that hat, they sure look alot cooler then they used to.

Jmacq1
01-14-2011, 07:52 AM
I find myself wondering if Zartan is getting a complete reimagining that shifts him purely to "biker gang leader" and strips him of his "master of disguise" and "martial artist" abilities.

Because I'm sure I'm not the only one who used to look at Zartan and the Dreadnoks and go "Why is this guy even hanging around with these mooks?"

Trooper13
01-14-2011, 08:02 AM
I find myself wondering if Zartan is getting a complete reimagining that shifts him purely to "biker gang leader" and strips him of his "master of disguise" and "martial artist" abilities.

Because I'm sure I'm not the only one who used to look at Zartan and the Dreadnoks and go "Why is this guy even hanging around with these mooks?"

I wondered the same thing. I'd actually prefer the master of disguise angle, which is why I thought RoC Zartan was the only perfect thing in an imperfect movie.

While I've no real interest in Biker Gangs in my Joe, if Zartan is just a Biker, it would definitely make more sense to have him leading the 'Noks. I can live with it.

batkid305
01-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Scrap Iron and Major Blood both got their signature looks...or what caused them towards the tail end of their respective episodes...so just wait till the end. I see this Dreadnok gang as hired hands for Cobra trying to keep terror on the streets allowing for distractions. With the authorities focusing their attention on the Noks Cobra can slip through the cracks...and they didn't count on Renegage Joes coming in and messing up their deal...I'm loving how e everyone is making a cameo in this series. It makes me pay attention to every single detail. I'm wondering how they will introduce Cover Girl...will she be the Greaser girl, or Hawks bitch. And imagine the fun with Ship Wreck, Spirit and the Crimson twins.

Jmacq1
01-14-2011, 08:16 AM
I wondered the same thing. I'd actually prefer the master of disguise angle, which is why I thought RoC Zartan was the only perfect thing in an imperfect movie.

While I've no real interest in Biker Gangs in my Joe, if Zartan is just a Biker, it would definitely make more sense to have him leading the 'Noks. I can live with it.

Yeah, Vosloo utterly owned that role, but it was like he was acting in a different movie from everyone else (a much more serious one).

I've never really had much interest in the 'noks myself, but I agree, if they shift him purely to "Badass Biker Gang Leader" at least it's a reimagining that makes some sense within the context of the character's history. Might be interesting as an alternative take.

What I definitely do NOT hope is that he ends up getting disfigured in some form...that shtick is already starting to get old. It was cool (and expected) with Bludd. Then repeated with Scrap-Iron. We don't need it with Zartan, too.

Still, all the talk of "Biker Gang Leader" aside, I don't know that I can see Hasbro fully pulling away from the "cowl and face markings" look of Zartan in the long run. Like many of the other iconic characters of Joe, he's got his visual cues that make him instantly identifiable. Then again, he's not quite as prominent as Destro, the Commander, Storm Shadow, or Baroness...so they might be more willing to take the risk on him.

captain N
01-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Was that Road Pig by zartan?

kennywr22
01-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Lets not forget its been said that we meet zartan before he becomes how we know him. I'm sure the look will come largely from this chameleon suit he gets. Whether he knows martial arts or not who knows. As long as he can fight like a badass I'm cool with it.

Trooper13
01-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah, Vosloo utterly owned that role, but it was like he was acting in a different movie from everyone else (a much more serious one).

I've never really had much interest in the 'noks myself, but I agree, if they shift him purely to "Badass Biker Gang Leader" at least it's a reimagining that makes some sense within the context of the character's history. Might be interesting as an alternative take.

What I definitely do NOT hope is that he ends up getting disfigured in some form...that shtick is already starting to get old. It was cool (and expected) with Bludd. Then repeated with Scrap-Iron. We don't need it with Zartan, too.

Still, all the talk of "Biker Gang Leader" aside, I don't know that I can see Hasbro fully pulling away from the "cowl and face markings" look of Zartan in the long run. Like many of the other iconic characters of Joe, he's got his visual cues that make him instantly identifiable. Then again, he's not quite as prominent as Destro, the Commander, Storm Shadow, or Baroness...so they might be more willing to take the risk on him.

As far as RoC goes, Vosloo stole the entire movie, IMO. He was perfect, and did so much with so little. That, to me, is how I use Zartan now. No bikers, no nonsense, just a master of his craft, an artist, looking to leave his mark on the world. His masterpiece. A truly creepy villian. I loved every second he was onscreen.

As Kenny points out below, with Renegades Zartan, he may not be the master of disguise, YET. He could just start off as a biker, and become something much closer to what we grew up with later on, once he gets and masters the suit. I could deal with that, but I almost like the idea of the movie verse, and the toon verse "splitting" him. One takes the master of disguise, the other the biker. Twice the Zartan, and both really cool.

Lets not forget its been said that we meet zartan before he becomes how we know him. I'm sure the look will come largely from this chameleon suit he gets. Whether he knows martial arts or not who knows. As long as he can fight like a badass I'm cool with it.

Very good point.

Freedom
01-14-2011, 09:25 AM
Fans seem to favor one side of Zartan over another, but that's the thing about Zartan - He's got multiple personalities. On one hand he's a rowdy leader of a biker gang. On the other he's a well trained master of disguise assasin. Zartan is many things.

Another problem is a lot of fans definitive version of a character is based on the Sunbow cartoon. Bazooka is a moron. Shipwreck is lazy. Falcon is an F up. And the Dreadnoks are dumb. All of that is the opposite of their File Cards, and done for comedic relief in a children's cartoon.

The Dreadnoks were supposed to be menacing, and Buzzer was quite intelligent - dangerously intelligent. Zartan started out as a mercenary. He needed hired hands to have his back and handle his light work. He just happened to have chosen a biker gand who enjoy that lifestyle rather than hired thugs that could turn on him.

I think Zartan is a chaotic individual in his mind and soul, and the conflict between the anarchist biker vs. the balanced Martial Artist makes perfect since.

And of course "Renegades" is showing Zartan pre-Cobra. What he becomes remains to be seen.

General Hawk
01-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Totally agree with what Freedom posted. How can anyone really complain about how Zartan looks, since his appearance is always malleable? If we've read the Renegades bios, we KNOW he eventually is going to find a "chameleon suit" that gives him his disguise abilities, so why get hung up on this particular look?

Is it any worse than the Zartan with a ponytail that we saw as his early Marvel look?

Give it some time, I think he'll get a lot more familiar down the road.

General Hawk
01-14-2011, 09:49 AM

Martial arts, maybe, but his bio clearly states that he gets a Cobra chameleon suit which allows him to mimic other people, so by the sounds of it, he's still going to be a disguise artist down the road.

crock master
01-14-2011, 10:06 AM
i hope it is just a zartan snake eyes only episode with flutes jamming out the whole episode! oh and i forgot ninja fight!
not really, but i wouldnt be suprised!

Wolftone
01-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Im yet to see Renegades but doubt I will if the Vietnamese dwarf is supposed to be Tunnel rat.

Troynos
01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Im yet to see Renegades but doubt I will if the Vietnamese dwarf is supposed to be Tunnel rat.

Why? That is what Tunnel Rat is supposed to, and always has, look like. He's of mixed Cambodian descent and has always been shown smaller then everyone else.

So you don't want to see Renegades because they got Tunnel Rat right?

Ctrl_Z
01-14-2011, 11:33 AM
What the?

Anyway. is actually what zartan looks like? or is he in disguise?

EDIT:

Martial arts, maybe, but his bio clearly states that he gets a Cobra chameleon suit which allows him to mimic other people, so by the sounds of it, he's still going to be a disguise artist down the road.
Oh ok. Cool. I already miss the traditional look of Zartan. But I'm open to change

USAgent
01-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I was just reading the Marvel issue with Zartan's origin last night. This doesn't look to far off from what he looked like back when CC hired him to kill SE (well... no cowboy hat... but big ol' sideburns and a ponytail....) can't wait for this one :)

tt8l
01-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Another problem is a lot of fans definitive version of a character is based on the Sunbow cartoon... All of that is the opposite of their File Cards, and done for comedic relief in a children's cartoon...

So true. All of what you posted was well said.

I have to give credit to Renegades for a number of things - and all they are doing well outweigh the missteps by a wide enough margin that I have enjoyed watching the program & I look forward to seeing their interpretation of the Dreadnoks.

Steel Brigade
01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the clip, will be watching 2nite.

teemu8
01-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I see they ruined Zartan...........Crap-egades!!

RenHoek
01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I see they ruined Zartan...........Crap-egades!!

Wow, that was a good pun.

rocker82
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I can't believe Zartan doesn't have the KISS/Alice Cooper face paint,I'm totally disappointed.I am a big of Zartan.

dmizrok
01-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Maybe he'll smear grease or oil on his face at one point...? See himself in a mirror and say "damn I look good..." and have it in his next appearance... I know, wishful thinking...

darthdoug
01-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Zartan looks like the Undertaker. I don't like it. He better be pulling a 'douche' mask off at some point and look like Zartan!

Wolftone
01-15-2011, 10:34 AM
@Troynos

Hahaha Ok so Scarlett was always Head and shoulders taller than him? So Im guessing he was less than 4 feet tall. I hate be pedantic over a cartoon but don't the military have height restrictions.

You can go on about that being his advantage as a sapper but really I think its a attempt to make him cuter in valor v venom kinda way.

Solrac333
01-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I saw nothing of Zartan here. I hope they make him better.

Wolftone
01-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Sorry for the spam but I took your word on the cambodian thing and actually had my original TR file card right here.

"Trinidadian-Chinese, with Spanish Irish and Indian thrown in" to be precise. By his representation in the cartoon I think you would have to be talking Pygmy or lilipucian heritage not cambodian.

My point is that Im not going to because they mucked up the characters. Duke looks more digimon than Joe and Roadblock(apparently) looks about 55-60 considering the other other characters look like children.

I understand the drawing style is asian but really do they have to make Scarlett look like a redheaded Geisha girl?

Undertaker? soulpatch? Village people cowboy style whateve it is you want to call Zartan. The list goes on....

DavAnthony
01-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Wow that episode was the first one that I though really sucked.

Total A-Team rip-off, ridiculous retconning of Zartan and the gang. I spent more time trying to figure out who was who out of the Dreadnoks. The guy who looked like Buzzer was I guess Machete and now Buzzer looks like Machette, was that Spirit in there too. Is he a Dreadnok now also (sarcasm).

Overall just a very poorly written and paced story.