PDA

View Full Version : Gi Joe Renegades Episode 8 - Rage Discussion

WeaponXCustoms
01-08-2011, 03:18 AM
Shocked we got a Steeler cameo! love that character. Maybe Hasbro can sell some mechs now that they are in the tv show :) Destro and Scrap Iron with an Iron Grenaier reference thrown in to boot? Awesome!

CVdelgado
01-08-2011, 03:25 AM
wow. now i gotta see it. somebody get a link up. : )

Black Swan
01-08-2011, 03:32 AM
I hope the mechs start selling , I want a POC Alpine.
This episode was boss.I found it to be pretty loaded with cameos, like the HISS drone and an IG reference was cool not to mention having the great Clancy Brown as the voice of Destro.That was pretty sweet.

Wylde Weezle
01-08-2011, 03:34 AM
Very stoked that it took place in Chicago, and that they even threw a little of the skyline in there near the end. Great intro to some of my favorite Cobras - Scrap Iron always appealed to me cause he was mostly out of the spotlight, so I'm glad they didn't give him a lame character type for this show.
It's a little strange to see Classic Joe ARAH characters following the pattern of Breaker - civilians aiding the renegade Soldiers. Doctor Greer was a cool cameo as well as war vet Mr. Pulaski

WeaponXCustoms
01-08-2011, 03:34 AM
wow. now i gotta see it. somebody get a link up. : )

they are on the first page of the youtube thread

WildWill
01-08-2011, 03:35 AM
Yeah, and was it me or did maybe the guy to Steeler's right look like Lance Steinberg, aka Clutch.

Awesome episode all-in-all. As soon as Duke called Doc Greer "Doc"...I almost geekgasmed.

Dust Viper
01-08-2011, 03:41 AM
I really dislike modern animation sometimes. The city seemed devoid of life, just a shell to use for the final battle scene, which looked like something out of a bad video game. This is where Sunbow has Renegades beat. Their sense of location was always grand and exciting.

On the other hand, this is the first time I've liked a voice actor for Destro not named Arthur Burghardt, so that's a plus. Wasn't too impressed with Scrap-Iron's voice, though. There wasn't much of a performance with him, just bland script reading.

The episode itself was just bad. Mech testing is just not all that intriguing.

Super Beast
01-08-2011, 03:55 AM
I can hardly wait to see which Cobra is disfigured next lol.

Did anyone else face palm-due to nostalgia- when Roadblock rhymed!? hahaha I about lost it.

USAgent
01-08-2011, 04:03 AM
I really wasn't looking forward to this episode. How could "kidnapped joes forced to fight" be better than homecoming? But I really think this was the best episode to date. A few more episodes of this caliber and I think Renegades will be the definitive G.I.Joe for me.

MFJayman
01-08-2011, 04:38 AM
This episode was too damn short!

Guess I got spoiled by the Homecoming 2-parter.

Loved how the Destro debut is pre-mask. This really IS the beginning! Oh, I can't WAIT to see the whole MARS/Cobra rivalry, Destro/CC/Baroness conflict/tension/romance play out. Am I giddy?

MFJayman
01-08-2011, 04:49 AM
A few Ep. 8 negatives:

I was expecting McCullen's voice to be deeper. Also thought he'd be a little bulkier. At least he's tall.

The mech suits looked a little too slick and polished for me--I would have liked something a little more raw, bare-bones, industrial-esque and prototype-ish...if that makes any sense.

Oh, and did I mention this negative--that it wasn't the first part of a 2-parter aired back to back? I like this episode, but I REALLY liked the last two.

Gatchaman
01-08-2011, 04:55 AM
I’m starting to wonder how and even IF they are going to get all these characters together as one big GI Joe team. Like Breaker, Steeler, Doc, etc... This cartoon will turn out to be a letdown for me if there isn't a big Joe team with everyone in it at the end. Heck not at the end …..well before the end. Maybe even by the end of next season.
Anyways loving this toon so far. They have done a great job and are really catering to the adult fans. In fact in some spots I am blown away how adult the show has been.

Gatchaman
01-08-2011, 04:57 AM
The mech suits looked a little too slick and polished for me--I would have liked something a little more raw, bare-bones, industrial-esque and prototype-ish...if that makes any sense.

Agreed. They looked way to Robotech and not enough military GI Joe/cobra. Heck the mech’s they have out now for toys do a good job at looking military. The Joe one looks like it belongs to the Joe’s and the Cobra one looks like a Cobra one.

Sunbow_Joe84
01-08-2011, 05:15 AM
i love it! we got Destro, Scrap Iron, Doc, Steeler, and a possible Clutch.

jroccc
01-08-2011, 06:41 AM
I will have to say that I have been more than impressed with Renegades. I liked the introduction of Destro. Good show! Next weeks is looking even better.

Zablorg
01-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Wasn't too impressed with Scrap-Iron's voice, though. There wasn't much of a performance with him, just bland script reading.

I suspect the explosion will have screwed up his vocal cords, making him raspy and interesting for his next appearance.

ChaplainAsst
01-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I liked the episode, but if you were not a previous fan of GI Joe, these would just seem like basic cardboard cutout villains. Scrap-Iron was just doing the whole technician thing. Destro was the boss. All the subtle hints would be lost on a little kid - even not knowing anything about grenadiers and MARS. The writers are clearly trying to satisfy old fans - just like the writers on TF:A did - while creating new ones. Don't get me wrong - kids could easily follow the plot, but this episode had a ton of "easter eggs" that they would miss. I half way expected the song to be a version of "Cold Slither". I agree with one post - if you have ever been to Chicago, there are always cars everywhere, not to mention people. I don't recall it being a particular Mecca for soldiers, but I could be wrong.

Zefram
01-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I liked the episode, but if you were not a previous fan of GI Joe, these would just seem like basic cardboard cutout villains. Scrap-Iron was just doing the whole technician thing. Destro was the boss. All the subtle hints would be lost on a little kid - even not knowing anything about grenadiers and MARS.

I disagree. Baroness's interaction with Destro, and Destro's overall protectiveness of his men and company, both reveal tidbits about he characters that reveal them to be far more than your typical 2-dimensional "for the evulz" villains. Even Storm Shadow, while a total prick, only started to openly hate SE (as opposed to simply being jealous of him) when he thought he killed the Hard Master. What would happen if he suddenly learned the truth? Even if you came into the series with no previous knowledge, the characters would still be fairly well-rounded.

BTW, anybody else like how Tunnel Rat beautifully lampshaded the current situation by openly exclaiming that they can't always rely on SE to rescue them all the time, and then taking steps to change the situation (though results were mixed)? That kind of self-awareness is fairly rare on any show, animated or otherwise.

fireflyguy
01-08-2011, 08:32 AM
I got the Doc Greer connection, but who does Pulaski refer to? An I thought they mentioned a "Truman"? Is that referring to some blast from the past? I might watch it again today.

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I disagree. Baroness's interaction with Destro, and Destro's overall protectiveness of his men and company, both reveal tidbits about he characters that reveal them to be far more than your typical 2-dimensional "for the evulz" villains. Even Storm Shadow, while a total prick, only started to openly hate SE (as opposed to simply being jealous of him) when he thought he killed the Hard Master. What would happen if he suddenly learned the truth? Even if you came into the series with no previous knowledge, the characters would still be fairly well-rounded.

Most of the characters seem very human, to me. Very "real", if you will.

BTW, anybody else like how Tunnel Rat beautifully lampshaded the current situation by openly exclaiming that they can't always rely on SE to rescue them all the time, and then taking steps to change the situation (though results were mixed)? That kind of self-awareness is fairly rare on any show, animated or otherwise.

This show is amazing in that regard. I'm still floored by Baroness' comment on top of the train in Homecoming when she met SS. "Two ninja? That's already one too many." That's almost Deadpool, fourth wall stuff, there. This show is clever.

ChaplainAsst
01-08-2011, 09:15 AM

I don't mind you having a different opinion, but I think both of those facts are somewhat shaded by the fact that you know in other iterations of GI Joe that Destro is not completely evil or that he and the Baroness have a relationship. They aren't 2 dimensional - ok, Scrap Iron kind of was (and I loved his figure back in the day) - but "I will avenge you" sounds just kind of evil, not protective.

Psyche-Out
01-08-2011, 09:25 AM
even with tunnel rat calling it out, the all knowing all powerful snake eyes is annoying. GI Joe in trouble. Snake Eyes saves the day is getting old to me. Renegades can't topple resolute in my opinion.

Slaymaker
01-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I got the Doc Greer connection, but who does Pulaski refer to?

Ralph Pulaski = Steeler...he even said they used to call me "Steeler" at the end of the episode. :D

I loved this one...all the characters mentioned, RoadBlock rhyming once (which is enough - doesn't need to be every time he talks), showing how Scrap Iron gets his scarred face...HISS drone....

I am excited about these cartoons! :D

BenjaminXavier
01-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think it was a HISS drone, I think it was the new HISS in white and red. They only show it for a second and from mostly head on, so its hard to tell. But if someone gets a screen shot we'll be able to tell fosho.

ucsf
01-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Here's the pic:

http://i.imgur.com/62jRq.jpg

Looks like the new HISS (after this moment it was smashed). Actually the episode was fresh with ideas, but I don't think mechs are well fit in the joe-world.

Slaymaker
01-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I still think it was the Drone since the it was so small compared to the mech suit. I only could find this pic of the drone quick...http://www.brokenarrowtoys.com/store_items/10-17-10/MiniHissRed.jpg

ChaplainAsst
01-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Definitely has Hiss features - maybe a prototype?

Steel Brigade
01-08-2011, 11:37 AM
So far...I have been a big fan of Renegades, but this episode was kinda the stinker of the bunch for me.
Being a heavy metal fan, that generic song they played through out was just gawd awful. The animation took a slight dip in quality as well.

It was nice to see Scrap Iron, Steeler, & Destro (although Clancy Brown's accent seemed to come & go), & the consistency of Snake Eyes still having the Jeep (although with him driving out in the open it seems like they would stand out like a sore thumb), but the best part of the episode for me was Baroness' flirtation w/Destro.

Hoping for better next week, but Zartan's design didn't excite me.

TK1945
01-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I’m starting to wonder how and even IF they are going to get all these characters together as one big GI Joe team. Like Breaker, Steeler, Doc, etc... This cartoon will turn out to be a letdown for me if there isn't a big Joe team with everyone in it at the end. Heck not at the end …..well before the end. Maybe even by the end of next season.

I'm was thinking the same thing about all of the Cobra Characters. All of these cameos are cool but I'm hoping there is a payoff soon. It would be a bummer if we don't see familiar costumes on these characters.

Tom-1
01-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Hoping for better next week, but Zartan's design didn't excite me.[/I]

Kind of there with you, SB, but bear in mind - he is a master of disguise ; )

Tom

homer_sapien
01-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Ralph Pulaski = Steeler...he even said they used to call me "Steeler" at the end of the episode. :D

He was also listed as Ralph Pulaski/Steeler in the credits.

ucsf
01-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I still think it was the Drone since the it was so small compared to the mech suit. I only could find this pic of the drone quick...http://www.brokenarrowtoys.com/store_items/10-17-10/MiniHissRed.jpg

Have to agree, it was the drone, but worked better for me with the field-test red&white colors.

And what about the cobra copter at the end? A bit overpowered, but still awesome stuff.

WeaponXCustoms
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Have to agree, it was the drone, but worked better for me with the field-test red&white colors.

And what about the cobra copter at the end? A bit overpowered, but still awesome stuff.

same here, Roadblock smashed it with his mech fist and everything else thrown at him was automated, so Drone in my book too.

It was interesting to see The Baroness and Destro interact, after seeing this episode compared to previous episodes she seems overall infatuated with him. For example when she starts to compliment him via the monitor he cuts the screen out before she can even finish talking. To me Destro has some reservations about Cobra industries and the Baroness in general. Its almost like she makes him uncomfortable.

shlappyguy
01-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Just watched this, the Doc and Steeler cameos were awesome. I'm really surprised that there' snot more chatter about it on the 'tank.

Nictus
01-08-2011, 01:00 PM
I like that renegades has the ability to be a "prequal-esque" to sunbow...i'm still waiting for it to comeout that ripcord isn't dead...i actually want him to come back as the cliche "you left me to die so now i'll kill you all"

until scrap iron comes back I did not like his character...he could have easily been confused with mindbender...just another dweeb in a lab coat. Destro didn't do it for me either...he needs to be in black with a chrome dome...hopefully his voice will go a few octaves lower once his skull is encased in metal.

and before pulaski introduced himself...i was secretly hoping he was beachead...but now i'm glad it wasn't...beachead is a badass...and needs to be introduced as such.

overall the episode did fill in more blanks...albeit some very minor ones...glad i watched it even if it did pale in comparison to the previous 2 episodes

General Hawk
01-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Just watched this, the Doc and Steeler cameos were awesome. I'm really surprised that there' snot more chatter about it on the 'tank.

There are a couple of different threads with discussion...the Episode 8 promo thread, the Destro and Scrap Iron thread, etc...

I loved the cameos, and I've watched the episode a second time, and the whole sense of family honor with Destro was damned perfect. A great element to his character. It was only a few seconds of dialog and interaction, but it spoke volumes.

I keep getting more impressed.

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 01:23 PM
my question is why did steeler sound the way I would think Clutch would sound,you know with the stereotypical NY,NJ accent,isnt he from PA? Honestly I think to many of the character has stereotypical eastcoast accents. To me LJ sounds like a PR from the Bronx. Ive noticed a lot of the voices in the original cartoon sounded the same way,even for characters who wasnt from NY or NJ.

This isnt really a gripe or complaint,just something Ive noticed. I honestly didnt think I would like this episode but this might have been my favorite so far.

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Another question,why do The Baroness keep wearing that long coat indoors,is she vitamin D deficient? lol

ekko
01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I caught myself acting just like I did as a kid last night, sitting in front of the TV playing with a new Joe figure (the incredibly awesome Low-Light) and watching a brand new episode of the cartoon. If you think about it, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Anyways I loved the new epsiode last night and I think that I have to add the MARS attack helicopter that Destro and Scrap Iron were in to the "Hasbro-Must-Build-This" list. It has to be at least the size of the Dragonfly, if not bigger.

fireflyguy
01-08-2011, 01:42 PM

Thanks! I heard him say "Steeler" but I didn't think to check and see what Steeler's real name is.

fireflyguy
01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyways I loved the new epsiode last night and I think that I have to add the MARS attack helicopter that Destro and Scrap Iron were in to the "Hasbro-Must-Build-This" list. It has to be at least the size of the Dragonfly, if not bigger.

Yes! Bring on that helicopter! It has so much potential to be a great toy.

MFJayman
01-08-2011, 01:46 PM
even with tunnel rat calling it out, the all knowing all powerful snake eyes is annoying. GI Joe in trouble. Snake Eyes saves the day is getting old to me. Renegades can't topple resolute in my opinion.

I think the whole SE thing is a delicate balance for the writers--it seems it would be tempting to overuse him, which might have short term benefits, for attracting new fans who know about SE but few other characters, but it would obviously cause the story, and every other characters' role in the story, to suffer.

I like how they often have SE detached from the group, sort of riding at a distance, ready to rush in and surprise any potential assailants of the team. The upside to this is that you don't constantly see him "hanging" with Duke and co. The downside is that it allows him to suddenly appear in a critical moment and save everyone from disaster in one fell swoop. A little bit too deus ex machina?

ZombieSnake
01-08-2011, 01:51 PM
The over-all plot of the episode I wasn't very into. Abducting vets for mech testing just isn't an idea that makes me want to watch. I also wasn't very impressed by the debut of Scrap Iron, but I'm sure he'll be much more awesome as time goes by. Destro I did like, any time you've got a major villian voiced by Clancy Brown you're doing things right. I can't wait to see more of him and see him eventually don the mask.

I also liked the cameos of Steeler and Doc. I'm into the idea that they're pooling together a variety of people from different backgrounds and not just pooling already enlisted people into what will become GI Joe.

I also think that the animation seems to be getting better as the series goes on. We went from distorted color serving as a background in Episode 1 to some great animation in this episode when the soldiers experienced the "rage effect" to the recognizable Chicago skyline to close the episode. It might not be perfect animation, but I think it's steadily getting better.

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I’m starting to wonder how and even IF they are going to get all these characters together as one big GI Joe team..

I doubt that will or even could happen because many of the characters making "cameo's" are not even in the military. My question is what will happen after Cobra is exposed or the "Joes" are caught. They cant be on the run forever,especially when they are not even attempting to hide. Honestly the Joes should have been caught by now...

I think the cameo's are cool but it might come back to bite the series in the ass if the writers decides to go with the whole cobra has been exposed as a global threat and there must be an elite military team formed to combat them angle. These cameo's are limiting who can be on the Joe team.

With that said,if the renegades are still on the run and cobra hasnt been exposed by the end of the 2nd season,I will be very disapointed.

MFJayman
01-08-2011, 02:01 PM
I also liked the cameos of Steeler and Doc. I'm into the idea that they're pooling together a variety of people from different backgrounds and not just pooling already enlisted people into what will become GI Joe.

I have the sense that, by the end of the season, the core Joe team is going to be cornered and pretty much doomed, and will only be saved by all these various secondary or minor characters (i.e. Steeler, Doc, Tripwire (??), Jinx, Breaker) rallying together and coming to their aide.

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I think both of those facts are somewhat shaded by the fact that you know in other iterations of GI Joe that Destro is not completely evil or that he and the Baroness have a relationship
I think Renegades on its own makes it obvious that there is some type of attraction between Destro and the Baroness. I dont think you need to have knowledge on previous versions of these characters to pick up on that.

SNAKE_EYES1975
01-08-2011, 02:04 PM
yea cool. best one yet.

Scrap iron in the chopper with the missile hit..messed up his face..possible roadblock rivalry

pre mask destro with great voice actor

BATTLETECH mech suits. WOW..those were RIPPED right from battletech. Those are the Toads the Clans used. VERY COOL, and waay better than the mech suits on the shelves.

characters are staring to get loyal to each other.

Roadblock rhyme reference

Overall this was JUST LIKE an 80's sunbow toon plot. Joe gets captured..taken into some crazy ass arena of sport..fights ..joes come to the rescue..

This has brought me on the team. Im a lil bored with ALL the cartoons now having to make storys continue every episode. I DONT WANT that all the time. SOMETIMES I WANT ONE EPISODE to tell a story..like this one did. That was one of the great things about sunbow shows..they packed in ALOT of action and story into the 22 minutes it had to tell it.

These were kinda distasteful at first..but im onboard all the way after THIS one..GREAT JOB

SNAKE_EYES1975
01-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh yea..and when that guy at the end, SMILED and said, "they call me STEELER" that SOLD it for me..I seen where its goin...im on board

The Conflict
Hoping for better next week, but Zartan's design didn't excite me.

Zartan? I need to watch this episode again...

MFJayman
At some point, I would like to see SE "die". And maybe remain "dead" for a good portion of an entire season. Now wouldn't that throw fans, new and old alike, and the whole Renegades Joeverse, into a tizzy. Of course he would come back eventually. But I'd like his "death" to be convincing enough that people say, "wow. Looks like he really IS dead! Holy sh#t!"

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I didnt like how Duke picked up on the Priest as a suspect from simply noticing coffee stains on TR's overalls. I mean come on,really? TR couldnt have gotten a cup of JOE from a hundred different places? How did duke know the stains was even from coffee,like they havnt been riding around for months with the same exact outfits on. I would think TR's overalls would have quite a few stains on them,lol

WeaponXCustoms
01-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I didnt like how Duke picked up on the Priest as a suspect from simply noticing coffee stains on TR's overalls. I mean come on,really? TR couldnt have gotten a cup of JOE from a hundred different places? How did duke know the stains was even from coffee,like they havnt been riding around for months with the same exact outfits on. I would think TR's overalls would have quite a few stains on them,lol

your pants will smell very strongly of coffee if you spill it on them. I spilled some on my lap on our way to the inlaws one year, and my father in law kept commenting on the smell "did you put coffee on beverly i can smell it?" "weird I keep smelling coffee" My wife and I were having a really hard time not laughing about it.

Troynos
01-08-2011, 03:47 PM
What I liked about Episode 8:

-the banter between Baroness and McCullen
-McCullen's accent
-characterization of Tunnel Rat and Roadblock

What I didn't like about Episode 8:

-the mechs
-Dukes "detective" skills
-the blinding of Scrap Iron and even that being Scrap Iron
-the mechs
-the name dropping of characters just to have the names there so we (the old fans) go "Neat"
-Flint's end of episode appearance

Expanding on those items..

When McCullen called the tech "Scrap Iron" it just seemed out of place. The character was always a techy, but the name just associates with more down and dirty tech then mind controled exo-suits.

I like easter eggs as much as the next person, but not every character they encounter has to have a name associated with the mythos of the Joes.

Whats the point of calling that guy Steeler and the doctor ends up being the Doc?

And why can't the guy in the background with a beard just be an old vet with a beard?

Why couldn't Pulaski have been another new guy like Truman? Why did they have to put the Pulaski name and codename with him?

If they're going to keep namedropping, then I want to start seeing these guys appear along with the Renegades on a regular basis.

I dislike this use of Flint, having him show up at the end like this. Especially in this way which made no sense. Would have been nice to see Doc call Flint the first time the Renegades run out on him or after they arrive with Tunnel Rat. That way Flint would have had time to actually get there.

The writing, which is the shows strength, is incredibly strong. The plots have been weak to good. But it's the writing that keeps me coming back, the depth of the characters more then the actual "point A to point B".

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 04:03 PM
your pants will smell very strongly of coffee if you spill it on them. I spilled some on my lap on our way to the inlaws one year, and my father in law kept commenting on the smell "did you put coffee on beverly i can smell it?" "weird I keep smelling coffee" My wife and I were having a really hard time not laughing about it.

lol,I know coffee is strong and they only have 20 something minutes to tell the story but come on, some of this writing is pretty bad.

Troynos
01-08-2011, 04:07 PM
The writing is good, the plot is bad.

samantha
01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I love this show. I am very excited to see all the cameo's. Sure the plots are a little weak but I am enjoying the ride.

Troynos
01-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like the show and I think it's perfect for the age group they are going for.

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 04:33 PM
What I liked about Episode 8:

--characterization of Tunnel Rat and Roadblock

I like the fact that these characters are so well developed but I hate the personalities they have though. They seem to be complete opposites but dont play well off of eachother imo.TR being the one who is always stressed and complaining,questioning every move made,which I can understand given the situation they are in. RB always seeming calm,happy and unphased,following every order without question. I understand following protocol when you're in the military but he seems to have entirely to much trust and faith in Duke and Scarlett and seems to not be aware of the severity of the situation they are in. I guess basically thay are both a bit to extreme for me. Good thing its just a cartoon,lol

The Conflict
01-08-2011, 04:35 PM
The writing is good, the plot is bad.

The writing is good in certain aspects and is bad in others.

WeaponXCustoms
01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Don't get me wrong. I like the show and I think it's perfect for the age group they are going for.

30 somthing year old men? :D

luigi
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Zartan? I need to watch this episode again...

no that's next week :D

D00MTR0N
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
i want to see destro in the mask,i wonder if he will sustain an injury requiring him to wear it or if it will just be something to wear to look badass?

dustycarlisle
01-08-2011, 05:02 PM
i want to see destro in the mask,i wonder if he will sustain an injury requiring him to wear it or if it will just be something to wear to look badass?

I was wondering this also.

Knightsword
01-08-2011, 06:13 PM

There was more then that, there was the vet at the beginning of the episode with grenade attacking the "priest" who seen then handing out coffee then. Then finding Tunnel Rat with the same symptoms as the first vet and him with coffee stains on his clothes. Duke would have had been a moron not to think something was fishy with the "priest"

WeaponXCustoms
01-08-2011, 07:15 PM

I hope its a Doctor Doom worthy moment. I want him to loose some of his humanity when it happens. Like TwoFace and become a calculating pyschopath bent on destroying the Joes.

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
and before pulaski introduced himself...i was secretly hoping he was beachead...but now i'm glad it wasn't...beachead is a badass...and needs to be introduced as such.

I don't understand. What was so "non-badass" about Steeler? He was drugged, and woke up in a mind controlling mech suit. Beachhead would have been duped exactly the same way, and all his skills would have made him equally useless. Falling victim to the trap didn't make any of the veterans, or TR not a bad ass. The "Good Samaritan" Priest angle was slick.

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 07:22 PM

I don't think so. From the old character write up they released supposedly CC makes him wear it. How, I'm uncertain.

Echo7Solo
01-08-2011, 07:28 PM
you know the animation looked pretty damn good in this one. Plus Scrap Iron looked like James Woods and that is cool enough alone.

Troynos
01-08-2011, 08:04 PM
There was more then that, there was the vet at the beginning of the episode with grenade attacking the "priest" who seen then handing out coffee then. Then finding Tunnel Rat with the same symptoms as the first vet and him with coffee stains on his clothes. Duke would have had been a moron not to think something was fishy with the "priest"

Pretty sure we didn't see the Priest handing out coffee then, just being attacked by Truman.

General Hawk
01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't think so. From the old character write up they released supposedly CC makes him wear it. How, I'm uncertain.

Yep, exactly. Again, from the character bio (which I have mirrored on my Renegades SuperSite (http://renegades.generalsjoes.com))

A Scottish weapons dealer/manufacturer descended from a long line of magnates, JAMES “DESTRO” MCCULLEN began M.A.R.S. Industries as a competitor to Cobra, until M.A.R.S. was acquired by COBRA COMMANDER in a VERY hostile takeover. As “punishment” for crimes against the “Snake”, JAMES “DESTRO” MCCULLEN is forced to wear an irremovable metal helmet. He now serves Cobra with his technologically-advanced designs and business acumen, all while biding his time until he can overthrow COBRA COMMANDER and regain control of his family business.

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I finally got to watch it. I have not read through tthe thread yet as I don't want any of my thoughts to be influenced at all. Sorry if anything I say here has been beaten to death already. Here is my take:

This episode rocked! It started off a little weird. Where in the hell did SE get that jeep? I did like his trench coat look. It is very obvious that the writers of this show is taking Joe very very serious and I love it! The mature story in this show was a welcome change. The vets and priest was a suprise and then when I heard "Ralph Pulaski", I gave a fist pump lol. I knew it was Steeler right away and I was happy.

Not really digging the mechs but they were used alot better then I expected. Scrap Iron and Destro was great. SI originally worked for MARS and that seems to be ignored as of late. I'm really digging how they introduced SI. Destro's introduction was perfect. His voice acting is prolly the 2nd best in the series so far. Only CC is better imo. The convo with Baroness was sweet and her flirty tone really sets up for the future. Very well done.

Some nice action and a very cool ending. That MARS chopper is wicked and it was very cool seeing SI getting his scars. I liked the slow mo. It was a nice touch. Didn't like the ninja music as always. I knew it was Doc but hearing his name at the end was a nice nod to us old timers and hearing Ralph say his codename and offer help was cool too. Hopefully at some point the team will come back and get these guys. Seeing Flint and Lady jaye at the end was a nice touch also.

Overall a very solid show. Has to be one of my favs if not my favorite.

BTW, the promo to next week looks wicked! I like Zartan's new look and there looks like several noks will be introduced. I can't wait!

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Yep, exactly. Again, from the character bio (which I have mirrored on my Renegades SuperSite (http://renegades.generalsjoes.com))

Cool. I was hoping I remembered that correctly. Awesome site, btw. Just bookmarked it!

Echo7Solo
01-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I finally got to watch it. I have not read through tthe thread yet as I don't want any of my thoughts to be influenced at all. Sorry if anything I say here has been beaten to death already. Here is my take:

This episode rocked! It started off a little weird. Where in the hell did SE get that jeep? I did like his trench coat look. It is very obvious that the writers of this show is taking Joe very very serious and I love it! The mature story in this show was a welcome change. The vets and priest was a suprise and then when I heard "Ralph Pulaski", I gave a fist pump lol. I knew it was Steeler right away and I was happy.

Not really digging the mechs but they were used alot better then I expected. Scrap Iron and Destro was great. SI originally worked for MARS and that seems to be ignored as of late. I'm really digging how they introduced SI. Destro's introduction was perfect. His voice acting is prolly the 2nd best in the series so far. Only CC is better imo. The convo with Baroness was sweet and her flirty tone really sets up for the future. Very well done.

Some nice action and a very cool ending. That MARS chopper is wicked and it was very cool seeing SI getting his scars. I liked the slow mo. It was a nice touch. Didn't like the ninja music as always. I knew it was Doc but hearing his name at the end was a nice nod to us old timers and hearing Ralph say his codename and offer help was cool too. Hopefully at some point the team will come back and get these guys. Seeing Flint and Lady jaye at the end was a nice touch also.

Overall a very solid show. Has to be one of my favs if not my favorite.

BTW, the promo to next week looks wicked! I like Zartan's new look and there looks like several noks will be introduced. I can't wait!

Wasn't that the jeep they took from Flint in the second episode?

But yeah this was a pretty cool one. Just wanting to know your thoughts, how did you feel about the animation this run? they looked pretty bad ass when they were in the suits and screaming.

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Ya know. I was thinking that. I could have swore they stole his ride at some point. Maybe more then once. lol

He needs to bring Clutch on board. He has bad luck with wheeled vehicles. :/

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 08:52 PM

But yeah this was a pretty cool one. Just wanting to know your thoughts, how did you feel about the animation this run? they looked pretty bad ass when they were in the suits and screaming.

I think your right. How do they transport and use a stolen military jeep? LOL. Oh well, it is a kids show afterall.

Now that you mention it, I felt like the animation was pretty solid. It's either getting much better or I'm really getting used to it. Theres only 2 times this show where I was like "man this sucks".

The 1st was in the very beginning when SE is driving the jeep. The background looks very bad. It's like a farmland with a barn and grass etc. It looks awful imo.

The 2nd is when Steeler and Tunnel Rat are fighting in the mechs. The part I'm talking about is when Destro shows Baroness a quick view of his "testing" and that shot looked pretty silly imo. I will say that the mech looked pretty sweet when Roadblock was in it and at the end when he was fighting the chopper.

GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!

RenHoek
01-08-2011, 09:02 PM
This has got to be my favorite episode thus far. I can't wait till the next episode. I just hope the don't magically end up in Arizona some how. As said before, it's kinda weird how they drive all across the U.S. so quickly.

Echo7Solo
01-08-2011, 09:06 PM
you know that's the thing I'm trying to figure out too. I don't know if the animation is getting better of if it is just growing on me but man some of the stuff looked cool.

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 09:06 PM
As said before, it's kinda weird how they drive all across the U.S. so quickly.

well we don't know how much time passes between each show. For example I think this show takes place before the homecoming shows. If you remember, Baroness drops the "Destro" name and in this show it's VERY obvious that he's not Destro yet.

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 09:08 PM
you know that's the thing I'm trying to figure out too. I don't know if the animation is getting better of if it is just growing on me but man some of the stuff looked cool.

I agree. That Mars Chopper looked sick!

Echo7Solo
01-08-2011, 09:10 PM
I think your right. How do they transport and use a stolen military jeep?

well you know when Snake Eyes wasn't with the rest of the joes they would have to wonder how he got there. I guess it was in Flint's jeep.

anyhow this is one of the shots I liked a lot.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/1/Renegades-003-058_1294514334.jpg

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 09:14 PM
well you know when Snake Eyes wasn't with the rest of the joes they would have to wonder how he got there. I guess it was in Flint's jeep.

anyhow this is one of the shots I liked a lot.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/1/Renegades-003-058_1294514334.jpg

that shot is pretty badass. He looks pretty crazy lol

Echo7Solo
01-08-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/1/Renegades-003-040_1294514334.jpg

this one is pretty sick too.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/1/Renegades-003-089_1294514334.jpg
and to me Steeler looks more like Duke here than Duke. Just wondering one of them looks like Clutch but who does the other one look like? Flash?

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 09:20 PM
http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/1/Renegades-003-040_1294514334.jpg

this one is pretty sick too.

and to me Steeler looks more like Duke here than Duke. Just wondering one of them looks like Clutch but who does the other one look like? Flash?

yea. I'm thinking Clutch and maybe flash, grand slam or grunt

maczero
I don't mind you having a different opinion, but I think both of those facts are somewhat shaded by the fact that you know in other iterations of GI Joe that Destro is not completely evil or that he and the Baroness have a relationship. They aren't 2 dimensional - ok, Scrap Iron kind of was (and I loved his figure back in the day) - but "I will avenge you" sounds just kind of evil, not protective.I don't think "I will avenge you" sounds evil. It sounds corny but it works coming from someone who has some sort of warrior code of honor.
Looks like the new HISS (after this moment it was smashed). Actually the episode was fresh with ideas, but I don't think mechs are well fit in the joe-world.I don't know about that. This world has bio-vipers, plasma guns, hologram technology and mind control. Mechs don't seem out of place. That said, I wouldn't want to see them all the time.

It was interesting to see The Baroness and Destro interact, after seeing this episode compared to previous episodes she seems overall infatuated with him. For example when she starts to compliment him via the monitor he cuts the screen out before she can even finish talking. To me Destro has some reservations about Cobra industries and the Baroness in general. Its almost like she makes him uncomfortable.I don't know if she makes him uncomfortable but he didn't really seem to notice she was flirting. This may turn into something interesting if Baroness wants to pursue a relationship and Destro has reservations.

I also think that the animation seems to be getting better as the series goes on. We went from distorted color serving as a background in Episode 1 to some great animation in this episode when the soldiers experienced the "rage effect" to the recognizable Chicago skyline to close the episode. It might not be perfect animation, but I think it's steadily getting better.Agreed. I’m starting to wonder how and even IF they are going to get all these characters together as one big GI Joe team. Like Breaker, Steeler, Doc, etc... This cartoon will turn out to be a letdown for me if there isn't a big Joe team with everyone in it at the end. Heck not at the end …..well before the end. Maybe even by the end of next season.I heard they've written storylines to last several seasons so I imagine if the show lasts that long then we'll see cameo characters become part of an official Joe team.
I doubt that will or even could happen because many of the characters making "cameo's" are not even in the military.Well, G.I. Joe is fantasy military so I wouldn't be surprised if rules are bent for civilians to join. Also in the real world, private consultants/contractors work hand in hand with the military. I think a guy like Breaker could easily find a place on the team as a civilian contractor supporting the Joes' technical operations.
Pretty sure we didn't see the Priest handing out coffee then, just being attacked by Truman.Didn't they pass him again and he was handing out coffee? If so, I think it was reasonable to suspect him.

I hope its a Doctor Doom worthy moment. I want him to loose some of his humanity when it happens. Like TwoFace and become a calculating pyschopath bent on destroying the Joes.I hope not. I prefer he wear the mask out of tradition. Besides, between Scrap Iron and Major Blood it would become seriously cliche for another Cobra to sustain a facial injury after dealing with the Joes.

Anyway, I enjoyed the ep. The mind control plot has been done to death in cartoons so I wasn't expecting much. However, the animation and Steeler shout-out were nice touches. Also, liked how Tunnel Rat told the priest he wasn't looking to be converted. Cartoons rarely touch on religion and almost never have characters have a negative response to religion. Also, liked how the show touched briefly on PTSD and Duke's concern about the vets.

Monkeywrench
also. Steeler's voice really sounded like Mutt from the sunbow toons

Echo7Solo
01-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I still think it is cool that Scrap Iron kind of looked like James Woods

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/attach/1/Renegades-003-015_1294514334.jpg

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I just want to say that I'm so happy with this cartoon. When my family and I went to see RoC, both my girl and I were disappointed. I told her how great Joe was, and all she remembered was the old Sunbow and DiC toons her brother used to watch as a kid. She's been really into Renegades with me and the boys. It's cool to be able to share something I loved as a kid with my entire family.

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I can't express enough how much I liked the convo with Baroness and Destro. It was very well done.

Trooper13
01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I can't express enough how much I liked the convo with Baroness and Destro. It was very well done.

Yeah, you can really see that they are into each other, but the fact that Baroness "drank the Kool-Aid" puts a strain on their relationship, or what might become a relationship. Both actors are very good at what they do. I like how both their voices soften when talking to one another. Very good acting.

RenHoek
01-08-2011, 09:47 PM
well we don't know how much time passes between each show. For example I think this show takes place before the homecoming shows. If you remember, Baroness drops the "Destro" name and in this show it's VERY obvious that he's not Destro yet.

Well, for all we know, Destro is McCullen's nickname for now. Plus, it would be quite confusing if they suddenly mixed around with the time a lot without even noting it in the show.

Monkeywrench
01-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Both actors are very good at what they do. I like how both their voices soften when talking to one another. Very good acting.

exactly. frickin awesome

Zefram
01-08-2011, 10:32 PM

It was perfectly done! There's so much subtlety to be found in that brief span of dialogue! Imagine if Destro's coolness toward her, coupled with CC's earlier displeasure, prompts her to start treating Destro more favorably in actions as well as words, and he ends up turning her against CC?

All those "what ifs" from such a small amount of dialogue in an animated series?! The live-action movie was more of a cartoon than this!

John_0515
01-08-2011, 10:39 PM
It was perfectly done! There's so much subtlety to be found in that brief span of dialogue! Imagine if Destro's coolness toward her, coupled with CC's earlier displeasure, prompts her to start treating Destro more favorably in actions as well as words, and he ends up turning her against CC?

All those "what ifs" from such a small amount of dialogue in an animated series?! The live-action movie was more of a cartoon than this!

Amen to that

This has turned out to be a great series.

I love the trenchcoat SE is sporting.

G.I. Jennster
01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
i am enjoying the way this is playing out. it's more serialized than the average cartoon. with every little piece, the puzzle is getting clearer. it can't be the same as what we saw in the 80's. the world is differant and the joes are differant. i have zero complaints about this show so far. i even like the flint/duke animosity which in a way, reflects how the fans feel sometimes.
(i <3 duke btw!)

takedown
01-09-2011, 12:58 AM
I dont mind all the existing JOE name droppings. I doubt if GI JOE: Renegades will grow to be 200 plus like ARAH. So, its just a McGuffin Device within itself to keep us occupied. It's a kids show and it needs something for us who are watching with our offspring, to go "ah, I seen what you have done Hasbro".

Knightsword
01-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Between SE having the jeep and the coyote sporting cobra symbols, I think this episode was suppose to be the actual 3rd episode.

Troynos
01-09-2011, 11:04 AM

I assumed they had abandoned that as it didn't show up in any later episodes until now.

It is possible that they are airing the episodes out of story-chronological order. That would explain the huge glaring issue of the jeep appearing and disappearing.

And would help SOME with the travel issue as they started off in Springfield, Iowa and then show up in Chicago, Illinois. That helps it.

But then the 3rd episode kind of gets in the way, as they encounter Breaker in the southwest with no jeep. And Scarlett is talking to him at the start of the Ariashakage episodes.

Homecoming really messes with the time/distance.

But it's a kids show so to an extent it's okay. Just drives me crazy.

I thought she had said MacCullen and not Destro in the previous episode?

Troynos
01-09-2011, 11:07 AM

Why does everyone in the background have to be a known name?

That's just a bearded vet and another guy.

The other guy is named, Truman, which doesn't match up with anybody in the Joe mythos so it's not meant to be Grand Slam, Grunt, Flash or anyone else.

Zefram
01-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Hey, off-topic for a sec, but did anybody else know The Hard Master was played by SS's original VA?

Troynos
01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
That's cool. Didn't know that.

This episode did have one big hanging issue:

Steeler can identify MacCullen and Scrap Iron. He saw them in the observation booth along with Tunnel Rat.

That's how Steeler can become an actual part of the Renegades down the line. MacCullen goes to "shut him up" and the Renegades have to come back to help out and Steeler leaves with them.

Otherwise it's just a big ol' hole right now.

Echo7Solo
01-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Why does everyone in the background have to be a known name?

That's just a bearded vet and another guy.

The other guy is named, Truman, which doesn't match up with anybody in the Joe mythos so it's not meant to be Grand Slam, Grunt, Flash or anyone else.

ok Troy, first things first... they are making these connections so yeah the fans are looking for them too. Could it be? Yeah it is. However considering they did not make the connection I'm guessing it isn't.

Regardless it IS fun to think about that kind of stuff. Or it is for some of us.

Troynos
01-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm fine with the ones that are named, but it starts to stretch a bit when you just look at someone and say "that's so and so".

Calling the black guy with the moustache on the bed as Alpine? Isn't that stretching it just a bit.

Making the connections with unnamed guys is more on the part of the fan and wishful thinking then on the part with the writers.

On the named ones, Steeler and Doc from this issue, it becomes more of a question of the writer's intent:

Is the character meant to be the Joe character except, obviously, later on down the line in the Renegades story or is the name being used just as an easter egg and the episode character just becomes a "throwaway" character.

Echo7Solo
01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm fine with the ones that are named, but it starts to stretch a bit when you just look at someone and say "that's so and so".

Calling the black guy with the moustache on the bed as Alpine? Isn't that stretching it just a bit.

Making the connections with unnamed guys is more on the part of the fan and wishful thinking then on the part with the writers.

On the named ones, Steeler and Doc from this issue, it becomes more of a question of the writer's intent:

Is the character meant to be the Joe character except, obviously, later on down the line in the Renegades story or is the name being used just as an easter egg and the episode character just becomes a "throwaway" character.

well only time will tell with that however right now it is kind of fun to stretch your imagination a bit.

Trooper13
01-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I thought she had said MacCullen and not Destro in the previous episode?

Both. She called him McCullen, and then corrected herself when talking to the pilot. That's what kind of threw me when he showed up sans mask. Maybe these are being shown out of order.

Snake Shadow09
01-09-2011, 12:34 PM
another good episode.

Troynos
01-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Both. She called him McCullen, and then corrected herself when talking to the pilot. That's what kind of threw me when he showed up sans mask. Maybe these are being shown out of order.

That seems to be the theory, what with the disappearing/appearing jeep.

Trooper13
01-09-2011, 12:40 PM
That seems to be the theory, what with the disappearing/appearing jeep.

The jeep I kind of just blew off as because SE doesn't always travel with them. However, they also have the motorcycle, sometimes. I know that shows do that now and then. I'd love to see what the real order was supposed to look like.

MFJayman
01-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Isn't Destro simply James McCullen's clan name? Thought maybe they were using McCullen and Destro as interchangeable surnames.

Nevertheless, I think the writers should have reserved him being called Destro until after he gets the mask. Not clear why they thought it necessary to do a Destro name drop in ep. 7, unless they want to start imprinting on new fan's minds, from very early, that McCullen and Destro are the same dude.

Trooper13
01-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Isn't Destro simply James McCullen's clan name? Thought maybe they were using McCullen and Destro as interchangeable surnames.

Nevertheless, I think the writers should have reserved him being called Destro until after he gets the mask. Not clear why they thought it necessary to do a Destro name drop in ep. 7, unless they want to start imprinting on new fan's minds, from very early, that McCullen and Destro are the same dude.

It is his family name, however, Baroness went out of her way to correct herself. This could mean two things, either something happened to Destro or atleast how the Cobra hierarchy views him, and they are now supposed to refer to him as Destro. OR, she is trying to protect him by using a codename. However, she wouldn't be doing a very good job of it,as it's a title already associated with him, plus she slipped, and also called him McCullen multiple times up until that point in earlier episodes. All that makes me believe that the last episode was suppose to come after this one.

That being said, I'm really liking how they are handling MARS in this. I like that in Duke's flashback to the jungle, when the revolutionaries are loading the truck he was ordered to stop. They were loading crates of weapons marked MARS. It was a nice touch, imo. Also, it establishes MARS as a prescence apart from Cobra.

MFJayman
01-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm really liking how they are handling MARS in this. I like that in Duke's flashback to the jungle, when the revolutionaries are loading the truck he was ordered to stop. They were loading crates of weapons marked MARS. It was a nice touch, imo. Also, it establishes MARS as a prescence apart from Cobra.

I'm definitely intrigued about the MARS situation. I'm thrilled that we are seeing it while still independent from Cobra. Seems that, at the moment, Cobra is the best thing business-wise for MARS, but also the worst threat, in terms of MARS maintaining its independence. Sort of a Catch-22 for Destro.

Monkeywrench
01-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Between SE having the jeep and the coyote sporting cobra symbols, I think this episode was suppose to be the actual 3rd episode.

I was thinking that also lol

Trooper13
01-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm definitely intrigued about the MARS situation. I'm thrilled that we are seeing it while still independent from Cobra. Seems that, at the moment, Cobra is the best thing business-wise for MARS, but also the worst threat, in terms of MARS maintaining its independence. Sort of a Catch-22 for Destro.

I'm not sure Cobra buying him out is the best thing business wise for MARS, but it's definitely the best thing business wise for Cobra.

They'd likely still operate MARS as an independent company, but be able to control the weapons and level of technology that any of their possible enemies have access to.

Also, Cobra could provide MARS with raw materials at slightly above cost from other business' they own, and then "buy" their weapons at slightly above, from them. This allows Cobra to maintain the illusion that they are still trying to turn a profit from them, but also closes that section of their supply loop to an "inhouse" operation.

They can then make up the cost by gradually raising prices for everyone else. That would be BAD for MARS, as eventually someone will come along and pick up their other contracts at a cheaper price. However, Cobra won't care as by that time, they have already achieved what they wanted.

Both in terms of personal pride, and business sense, Destro is wise to want to keep his business relationship with Cobra where it's at. I think, with Baroness' comment, he's starting to realize both that his relationship with the Baroness and with Cobra, might be cause for concern.

Mermaniel
01-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Just finished watching it...It was cool, but man I didnt like those Mechs...Could they look more childish?...

darthdoug
01-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I have yet to watch a single Renegades episode

Super Beast
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Not my favorite but still good.

Super Beast
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I was thinking that also lol

Cloaking device. lol

firefly069
01-09-2011, 05:18 PM
very cool! It's a nice set up for the future. Everyone seems to want this and that to happen. Why not enjoy the episodes for what they are. I am sure the writers who have been doing a good job are setting up the series for future seasons. I believe there are 52 episodes which means there are 44 more episodes. Lot's can happen during this time.

Monkeywrench
01-09-2011, 06:29 PM
very cool! It's a nice set up for the future. Everyone seems to want this and that to happen. Why not enjoy the episodes for what they are. I am sure the writers who have been doing a good job are setting up the series for future seasons. I believe there are 52 episodes which means there are 44 more episodes. Lot's can happen during this time.

there is 26 episodes for the 1st season

Jmacq1
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
The jeep I kind of just blew off as because SE doesn't always travel with them. However, they also have the motorcycle, sometimes. I know that shows do that now and then. I'd love to see what the real order was supposed to look like.

I'm about 99.99 percent certain that we'll see the "liberation" of the motorcycle in the next episode, probably jacked from one of the Dreadnoks, if not Zartan himself.

I hadn't even given any thought to the order these episodes were being shown in until now, though, and yeah, it seems like they're not quite in the right order, which from what I understand isn't entirely uncommon with cartoon series.

On the amusing side, I'm beginning to wonder if they plan on dropping all of the O13 into this season as cameos. We've already had Stalker (we presume), Steeler, Hawk, and Breaker. Snake-Eyes and Scarlett are on the "permanent" team. Plenty of time between now and the end of the season to give us Rock N' Roll, Short Fuze, Flash, Grand Slam, Clutch, Grunt and Zap.

firefly069
01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
there is 26 episodes for the 1st season

true! I heard that they committed to two seasons of 26 episodes. Am I correct on this?

RenHoek
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
You know, I think this episode could work before Return of the Arashikage or after Homecoming. It kinda fits into both scenarios.

Trooper13
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm about 99.99 percent certain that we'll see the "liberation" of the motorcycle in the next episode, probably jacked from one of the Dreadnoks, if not Zartan himself.

Hadn't even thought of that. That would totally make sense.

I hadn't even given any thought to the order these episodes were being shown in until now, though, and yeah, it seems like they're not quite in the right order, which from what I understand isn't entirely uncommon with cartoon series.

I didn't think about it until this week. After Baroness corrected herself when speaking of McCullen last week, many of us assumed that we'd be seeing him with the mask on. Once he showed sans mask, AND the question of the jeep came up. It seems to be the most likely explanation. Honestly, I've even heard of live action series doing this. I forgot the last one that did it that I know of. Bones, maybe? I know CSI, and Angel had done it.

On the amusing side, I'm beginning to wonder if they plan on dropping all of the O13 into this season as cameos. We've already had Stalker (we presume), Steeler, Hawk, and Breaker. Snake-Eyes and Scarlett are on the "permanent" team. Plenty of time between now and the end of the season to give us Rock N' Roll, Short Fuze, Flash, Grand Slam, Clutch, Grunt and Zap.

Maybe, but I doubt Rock n' Roll will make the cut. In name, anyhow. I seem to be alone in that thinking though, so who knows? I'd like to see some of the named Joes start showing up on Flint's team, aswell. It would only make sense that he would call in specialists.

D00MTR0N
01-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I hope its a Doctor Doom worthy moment. I want him to loose some of his humanity when it happens. Like TwoFace and become a calculating pyschopath bent on destroying the Joes.
this would have been my choice as well but after reading that bio(thanks genearlhawk)i dont think its going to happen

Troynos
01-09-2011, 08:22 PM

I'd like to start seeing some of these guys become permenant members of the cast instead of just showing up and disappearing.

vadersquest
01-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I'd like to start seeing some of these guys become permenant members of the cast instead of just showing up and disappearing.
That will happen soon enough I believe. Once the team gets formed officially from the Government we should see more of these characters. I am loving this show and I hope to see more and dammit Hasbro, give me some toys already!

Trooper13
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM

You know everyone's a ninjs now, right? That's what ninjas do! ;)

Night Viper 143
01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I think your right. How do they transport and use a stolen military jeep? LOL. Oh well, it is a kids show afterall.

An old RPG I used to play called Tales From the Floating Vagabond had a schtick for every character... The Shwarzenegger Effect, The Valentino Effect, The Rodgers and Hammerstien Effect, etc...

One of my favorites was the Trenchcoat Effect, to make a long story short... if you search your pockets long enough (a la Colombo)... you'll eventually come up with what you need. Ninja's take it all the time, there just aren't alot of pockets in Ninja Pajamas.

He had the trench coat on for extra room... There was no way he was going to be able to fit a whole jeep in with his usual weapons load, thus the Trench Coat.

That will happen soon enough I believe. Once the team gets formed officially from the Government we should see more of these characters. I am loving this show and I hope to see more and dammit Hasbro, give me some toys already!

Here, here!

Monkeywrench
01-09-2011, 09:03 PM
true! I heard that they committed to two seasons of 26 episodes. Am I correct on this?

I know the writing team said they have a plan for up to 5 but I haven't heard any "official" news on a 2nd season.

Monkeywrench
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM

this^^

Zablorg
01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
The coyote looks like it has its Cobra paint job on in the promo for episode 9, too. I'm thinking the schedule was pretty heavily mixed up late in production to make room for Homecoming as the Christmas special.

Monkeywrench
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
The coyote looks like it has its Cobra paint job on in the promo for episode 9, too. I'm thinking the schedule was pretty heavily mixed up late in production to make room for Homecoming as the Christmas special.

that's a good theory. I think ur right.

MeLikeJinx
01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I didn't like this episode too much... mostly because I didn't like the whole battle-suit thingy... reminded me too much of Ben 10 or something. I thought Destro was really cool though.

Kungfuguy
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm curious where hasbro is going with this show? It's not rah. Which is good and bad depending on how you see it. It doesn't have the grandiose schemes and shananigans of rah. But renegades is so dead serious for a toon.

It's the "24" of toons. Think about it. Shadowy boogey man, corporate and military industrial complex, Jack Bauer-esque on the run renegades…………..Mature for a toon.

Is hasbro pushing toys with this show? I don't think they're trying very hard. Without the toy angle I don't think the show will succeed.

boff123
01-09-2011, 11:03 PM
cant wait for zartan!

Zefram
01-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Is hasbro pushing toys with this show? I don't think they're trying very hard. Without the toy angle I don't think the show will succeed.

Give it time. Toy Fair is coming next month and I'd almost bet money we see some Renegades merchandise there and more later at Joecon. Hasbro works in a fairly consistent pattern in this regard.

Zablorg
01-09-2011, 11:23 PM
In terms of it being episode 3, the episode also:

-Had the team still not entirely accepting of SE in the team ("your crazy friend", "magic ninja", etc.)

-Had the team maybe still a little rough with each other as well (the lack of team dynamic compared to in Homecoming is pretty obvious)

-Had the Joes actually refer to themesleves as "Joes", in what would make sense to be the first time (They since referred to themselves as Joes in the second Arashikage episode).

Zefram
01-09-2011, 11:33 PM

-Had the team still not entirely accepting of SE in the team ("your crazy friend", "magic ninja", etc.)

-Had the team maybe still a little rough with each other as well (the lack of team dynamic compared to in Homecoming is pretty obvious)

-Had the Joes actually refer to themesleves as "Joes", in what would make sense to be the first time (They since referred to themselves as Joes in the second Arashikage episode).

I find it pretty impressive that even without any direct references to any other episodes, people can still spot the intended order of the episodes just based on characterization cues (and Flint's jeep). That's pretty amazing that the show could have such tightly and subtly executed continuity, even in a standalone ep.

RolandofGilead
01-09-2011, 11:36 PM
This show is so well put together that it could be a weekly live action drama series on the networks. It just happens to be animated.

Zablorg
01-09-2011, 11:41 PM
I find it pretty impressive that even without any direct references to any other episodes, people can still spot the intended order of the episodes just based on characterization cues (and Flint's jeep). That's pretty amazing that the show could have such tightly and subtly executed continuity, even in a standalone ep.

Oh yeah, definitely. Over the last 8 episodes we've seen a very significant change in the Joe's behaviour towards one another, and yet it's something I think has been implemented very gracefully. I'm very excited to see just how strong their bonds will have become by the end of the season.

Even the characterization of Flint in the two or so lines he spoke this episode really speaks for its out-of-placement, I think. I just get this feeling that he wouldn't be so darn cranky about chasing the Joes after Homecoming.

Jmacq1
01-09-2011, 11:49 PM

I have to be honest...I'm not sure if we'll ever see this on the level some folks are expecting. I think they may stretch out the storyline to the point that the "end is the beginning" if you gather my meaning. We know how much Hasbro loves the "core cast mentality."

At best we can probably hope for consistent guest-stars. IN other words each episode we get three or four of the "Core" Joes and a rotating specialist. Like Jinx in the Arashikage episodes.

skrapps
01-10-2011, 01:34 AM
did anyone notice roadblock rhymed in this episode? "we can go, we can stay/im good either way"

Monkeywrench
01-10-2011, 10:57 AM

I agree completely. I was thinking the same things when watching the episode. It sucks that there out of order.

azoric
01-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I have a question.

When Tunnel Rat walks off and meets "Father Scrap Iron" right when he exits the Coyote does he give the finger to the other Joes? I don't have Hub HD so it was hard to tell if any one finger was raised.

General Hawk
01-10-2011, 11:19 AM

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Typically in animation, you can mix and match episodes with no big deal. Even in the landmark Batman: The Animated Series, it's easy to watch episodes out of order without being confused, but in Renegades, you can clearly tell the progression of episode to episode based on mannerisms, dialogue, and background information.

That speaks volumes on the quality of the writing, the execution of the direction, and the overall presentation of the series.

Good stuff. It will be interesting to try and discern the REAL order and watch them as they're meant to be.

Troynos
01-10-2011, 11:46 AM
The more I look back, the bigger the holes get.

These were (implied) homeless vets. And at the end of the episode Pulaski, Truman and bearded-guy are left to go back to being homeless?

Trooper13
01-10-2011, 11:50 AM
The more I look back, the bigger the holes get.

These were (implied) homeless vets. And at the end of the episode Pulaski, Truman and bearded-guy are left to go back to being homeless?

I don't see your point? Why wouldn't they still be homeless?

Troynos
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I mean the Joes just walk away? Doc doesn't try to set 'em up with a shelter?

They're just allowed back onto the street? Not a good way to end it I don't think.

Trooper13
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM

They're just allowed back onto the street? Not a good way to end it I don't think.

Well the story follows the Joes. That was where their involvement ended. For what it's worth, it seemed fairly realistic. I'm sure all those vets know where the shelters are, they may not use them out of pride. As far as being "allowed" back on the street, I don't follow your meaning. They are adults, and can sign themselves out. Against Doc's orders if they wish. They can't detain them.

RolandofGilead
01-10-2011, 02:06 PM

We don't know what Doc is going to do. The Joes HAVE to leave because they're wanted men and Flint is hot on their tail. What Doc does with the rest is unknown. It would actually be cool to see a future episode where Steeler has recruited some other eventual Joes into some sort of shelter program that leads to them meeting and joining the team.

Not that this has to happen.

Troynos
01-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I know that, it just seemed an odd way to end the episode.

Especially where Roadblock made a point of stressing their life when they were in the Salvation Army.

Just seems like more should have been made about it.

Trooper13
01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I know that, it just seemed an odd way to end the episode.

Especially where Roadblock made a point of stressing their life when they were in the Salvation Army.

Just seems like more should have been made about it.

As someone else pointed out, this is a fairly dark and adult themed cartoon. While it's definitely set in the fantastic world of Joe, there are definitely some harsh real world lessons, and examples layered in. It's one of the things I think the show has above the rest of the offerings out there now. I get what you mean, however I think if it leaves kids wondering about what happened to these characters it's a poignant thing.

Troynos
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I don't think kids will be left wondering what happens to these vets when they go back out there.

Just one of those things where an adults perspective gets in conflict with a show geared towards a younger audience.

Trooper13
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't think kids will be left wondering what happens to these vets when they go back out there.

Just one of those things where an adults perspective gets in conflict with a show geared towards a younger audience.

Maybe you're right. However, I'd wager that many of the kids who watch this show may have fathers who are, or were in the service.
Also, it's something that they might think about when they go back and view it as a teen. Most likely we will see Steeler again, and he might have formed some sort of network and program for the guys.

homer_sapien
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Wasn't the start of the series pushed back? They probably had Homecoming timed for Christmas based on the old start date and when things got bumped back they had to move things around to keep Homecoming at Christmas.

Mr.Kane
01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Man. I love Clancy voice, But not as Destro. Where was his Scottish accent?

dmizrok
01-10-2011, 05:25 PM
^^^it was subtle,but it was there...

Monkeywrench
01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a question.

When Tunnel Rat walks off and meets "Father Scrap Iron" right when he exits the Coyote does he give the finger to the other Joes? I don't have Hub HD so it was hard to tell if any one finger was raised.

no. However when I first saw it, I thought the same thing. In my mind, he did lol.

RolandofGilead
01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Man. I love Clancy voice, But not as Destro. Where was his Scottish accent?

^^^it was subtle,but it was there...

Well, it was there some of the time. I think he makes a great Destro, but I'm not so sure about the accent.

RenHoek
01-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Not every Scotsman has a thick accent.

MFJayman
01-11-2011, 03:43 AM
In response to the myriad posts regarding the order of episodes:

Notice that in the Episode 4 promo, scenes of SE from ep. 8 are shown, with him in that brown trench coat jumping on the back of the MARS mech and bumping into TR in the hospital.

I remember people saying how they didn't remember seeing SE in a trench coat from Eps. 1-3, and that those scenes must be from a future episode. I guess they were right and wrong.

So I'd guess "episode 8" was really meant to be before or after "episode 3".

Perhaps the bigger question: am I going to have to begin using quotation marks when discussing episodes.

But really, if they have to shift around a few episodes, so be it. Just so long as they keep cranking out good stuff.

MFJayman
01-11-2011, 03:49 AM
And hey, I like the fact that, by this episode shift, Destro ended up being introduced later. It really built up my anticipation, and reserved a nice nugget for this point in the season.

Jmacq1
01-11-2011, 07:56 AM
In response to the myriad posts regarding the order of episodes:

Notice that in the Episode 4 promo, scenes of SE from ep. 8 are shown, with him in that brown trench coat jumping on the back of the MARS mech and bumping into TR in the hospital.

I remember people saying how they didn't remember seeing SE in a trench coat from Eps. 1-3, and that those scenes must be from a future episode. I guess they were right and wrong.

So I'd guess "episode 8" was really meant to be before or after "episode 3".

Perhaps the bigger question: am I going to have to begin using quotation marks when discussing episodes.

But really, if they have to shift around a few episodes, so be it. Just so long as they keep cranking out good stuff.

I wonder if the eventual DVD release will have them in "intended order" or in "airdate order?" If I were the writers, I'd be a little (but only a little) upset that some of the work we'd done to maintain a tight continuity between episodes was being hacked up by airing the episodes out of order.

Zefram
01-11-2011, 08:09 AM
I wonder if the eventual DVD release will have them in "intended order" or in "airdate order?" If I were the writers, I'd be a little (but only a little) upset that some of the work we'd done to maintain a tight continuity between episodes was being hacked up by airing the episodes out of order.

I'm curious about this as well.

Monkeywrench
01-11-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm curious about this as well.

me too. I would be upset and hope that there is a "intended order" feature. I'm anal like that

ThunderKatt740
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm going to expand on Zablor's theory here. Wasn't Renegades supposed to start on the launch of the Hub? If so, when it was pushed back so it could premier alongside the slower to produce full CGI of TF:Prime wouldn't it knock the airdates of Renedgades out of whack about a month? They had to float Homecoming up a few episodes so that it would coincide with the Holidays. It would've made less sense for the Christmas episode to air in January or February.

Troynos
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
It hasn't premiered alongside Prime as Prime hasn't gone weekly yet (or did it just start the last week or 2?).

homer_sapien
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
It hasn't premiered alongside Prime as Prime hasn't gone weekly yet (or did it just start the last week or 2?).

I don't think it starts until next month.

MFJayman
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm going to expand on Zablor's theory here. Wasn't Renegades supposed to start on the launch of the Hub? If so, when it was pushed back so it could premier alongside the slower to produce full CGI of TF:Prime wouldn't it knock the airdates of Renedgades out of whack about a month? They had to float Homecoming up a few episodes so that it would coincide with the Holidays. It would've made less sense for the Christmas episode to air in January or February.

If Renegades was intended to premiere on the same week as the general Hub premiere, then it seems quite a few more episodes might have been shuffled around. By my count there were 11 Fridays from Oct. 15 to Dec. 24 (including these 2 dates). If we place "Rage" in its apparent proper spot, as episode 3 or 4, and account for all the episodes aired, they should only cover 6 Fridays. Right?

So are there 5 other episodes that were meant to be shown pre-Homecoming? If that is the case, then Homecoming would have almost been a mid-season 2-parter. Stick a few episodes before and after the Arashikage eps, and seems you'd also get a nicer spacing out of all the 2-parters we've seen.

Freedom
01-11-2011, 01:58 PM
They had to float Homecoming up a few episodes so that it would coincide with the Holidays. It would've made less sense for the Christmas episode to air in January or February.
And since Storm Shadow shows up at the end of "Homecoming" they had to bump up the Arashikage 2-parter that introduced him as well. Episode 8 probably should have been the third episode since they still had Flint's jeep and don't seen to have figured out Chameleon Mode yet.

And, as somebody said, they probably will get the motorcycle from The Dreadnoks, so mybe episode 9 should have been the 5th episode since they don't have the motorcycle in Ep 3.

Ep 1 & 2, Ep 8, Ep 3, Ep 9, Eps 4 & 5, Eps 6 & 7...

Hazemat
01-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Liking it a lot!

MFJayman
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
And since Storm Shadow shows up at the end of "Homecoming" they had to bump up the Arashikage 2-parter that introduced him as well. Episode 8 probably should have been the third episode since they still had Flint's jeep and don't seen to have figured out Chameleon Mode yet.

And, as somebody said, they probably will get the motorcycle from The Dreadnoks, so mybe episode 9 should have been the 5th episode since they don't have the motorcycle in Ep 3.

I bet you're right on the Dreadnoks episode.
And I think that them having the Jeep in "Rage", then having it be destroyed, would pretty much anchor "Rage" as the real episode 3.

Reordering some of these episodes might also help sort out some of the geographical disparity people were noticing, such as how the Joes could be somewhere out West in one episode, then thousands of miles away in the next.

MFJayman
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Who first spotted this whole episode order issue? Or was it revealed more communally? Reading back through the posts, I couldn't quite pinpoint it.

Anyway, fascinating stuff. Its pretty amazing how well the season has come off so far, even with multiple episode shuffles. I think that, when seen in proper order, it'll take an already very good show and kick it up a few notches more.

Freedom
01-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Reordering some of these episodes might also help sort out some of the geographical disparity people were noticing, such as how the Joes could be somewhere out West in one episode, then thousands of miles away in the next.
I thought so at first, but even if you put the episodes in the order I listed above, the Joes still seem to zig-zag across the country.

Eps 1 & 2 Location - Idaho (Not Iowa as the corn would suggest.) -As stated by Flint in Ep 7. "After your stunt in Idaho."
Ep 8 Location - Chicago
Ep 3 Location - somewhere in the South West - Just going by scenery.
Ep 9 - Haven't seen it yet, but could also be in the South West.
Eps 4 & 5 - Snake-Eyes cabin was in the High Sierras in the Marvel Comic, but that doesn't mean it is in Renegades. Could be The Rockies for Renegades?
Eps 6 & 7 - Missouri to DC and back.

It's not a big deal since cartoons rarely follow any kind of geographic reality, but it would be nice since they are mentioning cities and changing scenery, that it would show some progression toward a possible geographical goal instead of just running blindly.

dj7000
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
I have a feeling habro is just dropping these characters into the shows as cameos only and few if any will all come together as one team. It would seem to forced to have everyone somehow all at once come together for the same casue. Guys like steeler, doc, etc I think are just there as a nod to their characters lore. I think the real Joe team is still evolving.

Monkeywrench
01-11-2011, 07:53 PM

all very good points

RenHoek
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
I have a feeling habro is just dropping these characters into the shows as cameos only and few if any will all come together as one team. It would seem to forced to have everyone somehow all at once come together for the same casue. Guys like steeler, doc, etc I think are just there as a nod to their characters lore. I think the real Joe team is still evolving.

I doubt that. I mean, if they're just fucking with us, then that's a really cruel joke.

MFJayman
01-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm thinking that, at least for season 1, the team will remain pretty much as is. But I'd say that eventually they'd have to start enlarging it, probably with many of the cameo characters from season 1. I mean, isn't one of the hallmarks of G.I. Joe its expansive and varied roster of characters?

We accept and understand the reasons for a small team right now, because this is the beginning of things. But I think people would be much less accepting if, say by the end of season 2, the team hadn't already begun to grow, and by quite a bit.

RolandofGilead
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I thought so at first, but even if you put the episodes in the order I listed above, the Joes still seem to zig-zag across the country.

Eps 1 & 2 Location - Idaho (Not Iowa as the corn would suggest.) -As stated by Flint in Ep 7. "After your stunt in Idaho."
Ep 8 Location - Chicago
Ep 3 Location - somewhere in the South West - Just going by scenery.
Ep 9 - Haven't seen it yet, but could also be in the South West.
Eps 4 & 5 - Snake-Eyes cabin was in the High Sierras in the Marvel Comic, but that doesn't mean it is in Renegades. Could be The Rockies for Renegades?
Eps 6 & 7 - Missouri to DC and back.

It's not a big deal since cartoons rarely follow any kind of geographic reality, but it would be nice since they are mentioning cities and changing scenery, that it would show some progression toward a possible geographical goal instead of just running blindly.

This has me wondering, where are they going? I mean, I understand the run to Duke's parents, but what are they looking for? Are they driving around aimlessly, do they have a destination in mind, or are they too hindered by pursuit? They keep hitting up Cobra locations, eventually Flint is going to figure this out and start trying to anticipate their next move.

You may be right there. I don't think it would be teasing us, just giving old time fans a little something while developing this new generation. I have to admit that part of the fun of this show is looking for ARAH cameos and easter eggs.

Freedom
01-12-2011, 02:03 PM
This has me wondering, where are they going? I mean, I understand the run to Duke's parents, but what are they looking for? Are they driving around aimlessly, do they have a destination in mind, or are they too hindered by pursuit? They keep hitting up Cobra locations, eventually Flint is going to figure this out and start trying to anticipate their next move.
It appears to me that they're just running aimlessly with a couple of exceptions.
Eps 1 & 2 - Everything goes down and they become fugitives and take off.
Ep 3 - On the run - Flint is right behind them. They find Breaker and save him from Major Bludd.
Eps 4 & 5 - They lay low at Snake-Eyes Cabin, but Storm Shadow shows up.
Ep 6 - Duke heads home to Missouri to help his family while the others go to DC to crash a Cobra party.
Ep 7 - On the train back to DC.
Ep 8 - Chicago - No initial reason to be in Chicago. Lucked into running into Cobra.

They keep talking about having to clear their names, but haven't really gained anything toward that goal. It would seem like they would take the intel (conspiracy theories) Breaker has gathered and start investigating leads to see if they pan out.

Troynos
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Thats my general feeling as well.