PDA

View Full Version : If you found out you'd be homeless in a week what would you do?

Gyre-Viper
01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Recently a friend of mine became... dislodged from his home life. Without going into too much detail, let's just say there were many ways he could have prevented the severing of himself from his apartment, and yes, people have tried to help him despite his stubborn and facepalm-worthy disposition(s). Right now he's in a nursing home, his diabetes, for the first time ever, oddly enough, benefited him... go figure... but if he hadn't been diabetic... he would have nothing to get a doctor to say 'this man needs to be in a nursing home, not on the street.'

But if for whatever reason, you were living on your own, and found yourself a week from eviction and with no money or job to speak of...

What would you do to prepare for being homeless? If it was inevitable.
What would you leave behind? etc.

Headman
01-05-2011, 01:07 PM
"Hi mom! So I'm thinking about coming to visit for a while, is that cool?".

Black Llama
01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
"Hi mom! So I'm thinking about coming to visit for a while, is that cool?".

If it was me, this would be the first call :D

If my parents weren't alive/interested I would try to make it in my car for a few days while I checked my options. Or at least go to a local shelter while I got my priorities straight. A few days sleeping in you car or in a shelter will really make you appreciate how badly things are going, and that maybe it's time for some help.

D00MTR0N
01-05-2011, 01:14 PM
tough question but i hope everything works out with your friend

WeaponXCustoms
01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Currently If this happened my parents have a garage apartment I can have at any time, and I would be fine. BUT if this was not the case ( and I thought about this while I was on the can) My wife and I have some really good camping gear, I would go north to my favorite camping spot, set up there ( its about 30 minutes from a small town) and live there. Put all my collection up on ebay and go into town once a week to mail stuff off and pull money out, in the hopes that I could make enough to buy a camper. In the mean time try to get a real job. The campsite has showers and bathrooms and you can fish all year.

OSOK
01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
id rather be homeless than move back home, i cant do that walk of shame again, i can hear it now....."i told you, you would be back" MA, THE MEATLOAF, F*CK!

I would probably have to call in some favors from friends and sell what i had before someone else gets to it. If i sold my drumset, i wouldnt be homeless though. or just live out of my car again.

D00MTR0N
01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
id rather be homeless than move back home, i cant do that walk of shame again, i can hear it now....."i told you, you would be back" MA, THE MEATLOAF, F*CK!

I would probably have to call in some favors from friends and sell what i had before someone else gets to it. If i sold my drumset, i wouldnt be homeless though. or just live out of my car again.
lmao,i love that scene with the meatloaf

OSOK
01-05-2011, 01:29 PM
lmao,i love that scene with the meatloaf
haha "i never know what shes doing back there"

D00MTR0N
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
haha "i never know what shes doing back there"
lol

CrazyBones
01-05-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd find a nice sturdy garbage bag for my toys. It gets pretty wet here in Oregon. :)

manicmotive
01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
That's a really tough question. Like WXC said, I'd probably try the "camping" route. But I hope I, as well as no one, ever has to go through this. Though it's inevitable.

xSwamiJayx
01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Hh. I dunno, man. I suppose I'm in a pretty special position that I have more than enough willing family members to help me out. If not my parents, then my in-laws; hell, my asshole brother would even take me in.

Beyond family, friends too. I can honestly say that, barring me being on the run for a crime, I'd eventually land on my feet.

Being on the run for a crime, though, I don't know. that's a more interesting question. I suppose, if I could, I'd go to Mexico. It seems that starting over there would be easier than doing so here. Then again, this is based entirely on tv shows and movies telling me so...

What I would do, I don't know. Busk a little here and there, maybe, find myself a seņorita and drink as much tequila as I could get my hands on. I feel like there are plenty of opportunities for enterprising individiuals in Mexico... I don't know why I think that, though.

Beckley
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Oddly enough, my mom would be so psyched if I moved back in with them.
She is so much like the mom in Step Brothers it's almost scary.
I can do no wrong in her eyes.
Although she now sleeps in my old room cause of my dad's snoring, so I'd be sleeping in the basement.
But hey, that beats sleeping on the streets!

WeaponXCustoms
01-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Hh. I dunno, man. I suppose I'm in a pretty special position that I have more than enough willing family members to help me out. If not my parents, then my in-laws; hell, my asshole brother would even take me in.

Beyond family, friends too. I can honestly say that, barring me being on the run for a crime, I'd eventually land on my feet.

Being on the run for a crime, though, I don't know. that's a more interesting question. I suppose, if I could, I'd go to Mexico. It seems that starting over there would be easier than doing so here. Then again, this is based entirely on tv shows and movies telling me so...

What I would do, I don't know. Busk a little here and there, maybe, find myself a seņorita and drink as much tequila as I could get my hands on. I feel like there are plenty of opportunities for enterprising individiuals in Mexico... I don't know why I think that, though.

I think the feds pay off studios so they'll make Mexico look appealing when its very easy to get extradited from there =P. Yeah sure go south! We'll find you in a week. Now France has some weird and hard to work around extradition laws, that'd be my back up.

bluebikerboy1
01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I think the feds pay off studios so they'll make Mexico look appealing when its very easy to get extradited from there =P. Yeah sure go south! We'll find you in a week. Now France has some weird and hard to work around extradition laws, that'd be my back up.

i heard sweden is even harder

Derek2783
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd literally sell everything I owned, including my plasma, and then I'd bank it all for later.

Then I'd research all I could about how to survive being homeless.

Then, I'd start buy some warm clothes and canned food, maybe a pop up tent, crank flashlight, firestarters, that kinda stuff.

And a handgun.

...then again, if I had the foresight to do all that, it's unlikely I'm going to become homeless, ain't it.

WeaponXCustoms
01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
i heard Sneeden is even harder

Beachhead.....?

MAJOR BLOOD
01-05-2011, 05:11 PM
A tent and a rifle. People did it for a long time and there is plenty of public land.

sharky
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
In the short term I would have to dip into my rainy day savings and live off of that at some extended stay hotel to scramble to find a job. If for some reason I found myself with no job and no home after trying my best to get a job, then I would most likely have to move into my parents home or the home of a close family member. I would think that some close friends would step up, but you can't count on that as a definite. It would be a huge burden to ask a non-family member to take you in until you got on your feet. Having said that, I have a little girl to take care of so I really cannot fathom getting to that point where I had a week and no plan what to do yet.

OSOK
01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
actually if it were that bad and i had no options, i would commit some crime to get in jail, 3 squares a day, cable, sweet jobs like making license plates and you get to meet new people everyday

MAJOR BLOOD
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
actually if it were that bad and i had no options, i would commit some crime to get in jail, 3 squares a day, cable, sweet jobs like making license plates and you get to meet new people everyday

Fresh fish

OSOK
01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Fresh fish
damn i was going to post a pic, but all these would get me banned

Flint071
01-05-2011, 08:39 PM

...and all the sodomy you can stand.

WeaponXCustoms
01-05-2011, 09:38 PM
start eating glass before you go to Jail no one will fuck with you...litteraly

OSOK
01-05-2011, 09:43 PM
the gift that keeps on giving
start eating glass before you go to Jail no one will fuck with you...litteraly
because you would be dead?

USAgent
01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Put a $1 deposit down on a storage room for all my family's stuff (that will give me a month to re-locate without worrying about possession). hard to come up with a scenario for that exact situation. i don't work, and if my wife lost her job the severance would cover us for a good long time.

WeaponXCustoms
01-05-2011, 09:47 PM
the gift that keeps on giving

because you would be dead?

no but ...I dont want to explain that one

RuckusJr
01-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Damn, scary to think about. I'd get a radio voice to get hired by te Cavs. I you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it.

WeaponXCustoms
01-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I you don't know what I'm talking about, Google it.

this is sig worthy

OSOK
01-05-2011, 09:54 PM
no but ...I dont want to explain that one
i know, i was just being a smartass :)

Vulcan Raven
01-05-2011, 09:56 PM

And then some!

bluebikerboy1
01-05-2011, 10:00 PM
i know, i was just being a smartass :)

you a smart ass?
wow i dont think anyone here thought you had it in you

The Conflict
01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Recently a friend of mine became... dislodged from his home life. Without going into too much detail, let's just say there were many ways he could have prevented the severing of himself from his apartment, and yes, people have tried to help him despite his stubborn and facepalm-worthy disposition(s). Right now he's in a nursing home, his diabetes, for the first time ever, oddly enough, benefited him... go figure... but if he hadn't been diabetic... he would have nothing to get a doctor to say 'this man needs to be in a nursing home, not on the street.'

But if for whatever reason, you were living on your own, and found yourself a week from eviction and with no money or job to speak of...

What would you do to prepare for being homeless? If it was inevitable.
What would you leave behind? etc.
I would probably try to pawn off anything of value I have,which probably wouldnt be much because I would have already thought to do this to try to prevent homelessness in the first place. I always say I'd rather attempt to rob a bank or something than be homeless. If I get away I have money,if I get caught I have a place to stay. Honestly I dont think I have it in me to rob a bank,I would be so nervous I would deffinitely mess something up,lol. I dont know maybe I'd try to find a shelter or something. Anyway even though this problem sounds like your friend brought this on himself,I wish him the best.

OSOK
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
you a smart ass?
wow i dont think anyone here thought you had it in you
apparantly im not funny either, screw you high school guidance counsler that said i would be a good stand up comedian (btw she was deaf)

bluebikerboy1
01-05-2011, 10:13 PM
apparantly im not funny either, screw you high school guidance counsler that said i would be a good stand up comedian (btw she was deaf)

well was she at least hot?

The Conflict
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Put a $1 deposit down on a storage room. Never thought of this but this is a great idea,you can stay in the storage place overnight,they are alot cheaper than a motel

OSOK
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
well was she at least hot?
on a scale from 1-to 10? she was a hard 7

Flint071
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
on a scale from 1-to 10? she was a hard 7

When I am hard I am only 2

bluebikerboy1
01-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Never thought of this but this is a great idea,you can stay in the storage place overnight,they are alot cheaper than a motel

nope, they wont let you do that :(
well not out here at least. in fact when you get the unit you sign a contract promising you wont sleep in it.

Headman
01-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Never thought of this but this is a great idea,you can stay in the storage place overnight,they are alot cheaper than a motel

I've known a lot of people who did this from my music days. Problem is bands like to practice in their storag units while some people are trying to sleep. But then again, they're usually too drunk to complain.

bluebikerboy1
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
When I am hard I am only 2

2 inches?

OSOK
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
storage unit would be a good idea, my band had one to practice at, we crashed there a few times after shows, we had like 3 couches in that thing, and we put carpet in it, to make the house, our home

Cobra Terrorist
01-05-2011, 10:45 PM
storage unit would be a good idea, my band had one to practice at, we crashed there a few times after shows, we had like 3 couches in that thing, and we put carpet in it, to make the house, our home

Random question: Where did you get the electricity for the amps, etc. from? Extension cords, lol?

OSOK
01-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Random question: Where did you get the electricity for the amps, etc. from? Extension cords, lol?
they had 2 units with outlets in them which were occupied, so they gave us one that was 30-40ft away from the light post that had an outlet at the bottom of it. they said we could run extension cords, we just couldnt leave them when we werent there. they charged an extra $10 for electricity

Flint071
01-05-2011, 10:52 PM
2 inches?

I am not explaining this.

Headman
01-05-2011, 10:59 PM
I am not explaining this.

I think you kinda have to.

Cobra Terrorist
01-05-2011, 11:00 PM
they had 2 units with outlets in them which were occupied, so they gave us one that was 30-40ft away from the light post that had an outlet at the bottom of it. they said we could run extension cords, we just couldnt leave them when we werent there. they charged an extra $10 for electricity

You powered a whole band from one outlet? I hope you tripped at least ONE breaker! :D

Dammit. You beat me to it!

Flint071
01-05-2011, 11:06 PM

Fine - I'm small.

But it was cold - and I was tucked.

Headman
01-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Fine - I'm small.

First person to say "Pics or it didn't happen" gets bitch slapped.

OSOK
01-05-2011, 11:08 PM
You powered a whole band from one outlet? I hope you tripped at least ONE breaker! :D

yeah, im suprised we survived

Flint071
01-05-2011, 11:10 PM
First person to say "Pics or it didn't happen" gets bitch slapped.

Now that is fucking funny.....

PitViper
01-05-2011, 11:19 PM
This happened to me.

I had decided to start a business and I moved in with someone, everything was great.

Relationship went 1st, everything from there avalanched on top of me. I needed surgery, I quit my original FT job to pursue the business and that dwindled away to almost nothing.

I may be an ass-clown with alot of things but I wont front on my family. I told my mom the situation and the rest is history. At 30 yrs old I was on a couch with toys in storage, an arm in a sling and bumming rides to physical therapy.

4 yrs later, I live practically next door to both my mom and my sister in the same association. Lucky them :)

I wish your friend the best. Something I've learned because I knew another person somewhat close to me that like your friend got saved by being put into a nursing home (he had a stroke)...is that some people are better off like that. That sounds HORRIBLE...I look at the guy I know personally. He has constantly done things to make life harder and then bitch about it, along with asking for help all while digging himself deeper. Everyone that was a friend was an "enabler" of sorts.

The responsibility of work, finance, relationships, owning or operating a motor vehicle is all gone. He talks to elder people all day and watches TV. I think he's happy there and this is truly his best bet in this life.

Again, I don't know your friend personally so I'm not being a dick..in my friend's case......he's better off.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to walk down the street and steal some peanut butter and a roll of toilet paper.

Headman
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
This happened to me.

I had decided to start a business and I moved in with someone, everything was great.

Relationship went 1st, everything from there avalanched on top of me. I needed surgery, I quit my original FT job to pursue the business and that dwindled away to almost nothing.

I may be an ass-clown with alot of things but I wont front on my family. I told my mom the situation and the rest is history. At 30 yrs old I was on a couch with toys in storage, an arm in a sling and bumming rides to physical therapy.

4 yrs later, I live practically next door to both my mom and my sister in the same association. Lucky them :)

I wish your friend the best. Something I've learned because I knew another person somewhat close to me that like your friend got saved by being put into a nursing home (he had a stroke)...is that some people are better off like that. That sounds HORRIBLE...I look at the guy I know personally. He has constantly done things to make life harder and then bitch about it, along with asking for help all while digging himself deeper. Everyone that was a friend was an "enabler" of sorts.

The responsibility of work, finance, relationships, owning or operating a motor vehicle is all gone. He talks to elder people all day and watches TV. I think he's happy there and this is truly his best bet in this life.

Again, I don't know your friend personally so I'm not being a dick..in my friend's case......he's better off.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to walk down the street and steal some peanut butter and a roll of toilet paper.

Do you live near the Situation?

The Conflict
01-05-2011, 11:24 PM
nope, they wont let you do that :(
well not out here at least. in fact when you get the unit you sign a contract promising you wont sleep in it.

Yeah but you're sneaking and doing it.

PitViper
01-05-2011, 11:38 PM

Unfortunately he's much further south than me.

He's on my FB though.

bluebikerboy1
01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Fine - I'm small.

This happened to me.

LMFAO Classic

Nordland
01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
2 inches?

But 2 inches feels like 8 inches when you're nudging a midget.

OSOK
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM
haha