PDA

View Full Version : Little Things About Renegades....

Jmacq1
01-04-2011, 12:47 PM
This thread is for the little things about Renegades that intrigue, delight, or even infuriate you. It could be dangling plot-threads, single lines/comments, behind-the-scenes, design related...heck, just about anything. Spoilers may be involved. No specific format, but I'll put out a few examples:

I'm intrigued by Jinx's comment to Scarlett about her being "the flavor of the month." Just a biting remark by a jealous apprentice? Or has Snake-Eyes had a string of girlfriends and/or students over the years since leaving the Arashikage? Potential plot point?

I'm happy to see the Arashikage as being portrayed as what Ninjas would (semi) realistically be like...in other words not so honorable, and involved in criminal dealings. This aspect of Ninja-dom seemed to be highly glossed over in the original Hama run, to the point that they were practically Samurai in Ninja outfits. Of course, Snake-Eyes' attitude nearly changed this, but either way, glad to see the Arashikage as being portrayed as "not so good" dudes (and dudettes, presumably).

Voice casting for Duke's parents = pure win. Was it just my imagination, or did Michael Bell seem to partially pattern his voice after the voice actor currently playing Duke? Or more like he combined "original Duke" with "new Duke" perfectly.

Love that Scrap Iron is getting some spotlight...he's a long underutilized "named" member of Cobra's elite.

Very annoyed by Snake-Eyes' theme music. Didn't bother me for the first few episodes, but it's getting jarring and overused now. We don't need to hear Japanese flutes every time the guy shows up on screen, for crying out loud. Or if you're going to stick with it, give every other character their own recognizable leitmotif, too.

atomsmasher
01-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Pants. Aside from Duke whose uniform is just terrible across the board the pants are terrible. They are so poorly drawn I wonder how the Joes escape from anyone. I mean wouldn't Tunnel Rat, Duke, and Roadblock have to stop every few seconds to pull the pants back up? it's really crappy drawing to have such okay or mediocre tops than to have such absolute terrible pants. I hate it and it pushes toward a hate for the show as it just seems lazy. I also don't get some of the character thing like how Duke is now a bomb squad guy. What the hell is that. Tripwire does bombs Dukes leads what's going on in this Joe place?

Troynos
01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Gotta agree about SE's music. I LOVE it in the opening credits, works great there, but during the show.. not so much...

Also love that the Ariashakage are shown as what a ninja would be, criminal and not that honorable.

I'm interested in learning more about SE's other apprentices as well. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be Dojo, Nunchuk and Tj'bang. But the "flavor of the month" comment was very interesting. Would like to see more of that.

If Cobra was able to track Breaker in the first place, giving him the bomb package, why isn't he "in hiding" with the Joes? Persumably Cobra could find him again.

Biggest gripe is that they are all over the map. Midwest (Springfield Iowa), then Southwest (Breaker), then Colorado (around there for SE's cabin), then Washington DC to Missouri to Colorado back to Missouri (Homecoming).

How much time has passed? That should be a storyline, how Cobra and Flint (because he has the resources of the government) can be almost anywhere quickly and the Joes are stuck driving the Coyote so takes days to get places.

Where do they sleep? Would like to see an episode that focuses on that aspects. Could be just someone standing guard around the Coyote parked in the woods with the rest of them in hammocks and sleeping bags, tents, etc..

Saboteur
01-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Intrigued by the surprise appearances and never knowing who's going to show up next.

Delighted to hear the voices of Michael Bell and BJ Ward.

Infuriated that there hasn't been an appearance by Hector Ramirez, Skidmark or Raptor.

Ctrl_Z
01-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm mostly surprised at how good it is. Surprised and worried. Because now if it get's slightly worst, just slightly, then the fans will be all down on it.

But also I'm surprised that it seems to be better than Transformers Prime.

I don't know if I like CC's look in Renegades, but I definitely like his personality .. so far.

I didn't like the plot point about them ... Oh right. Spoiler coming ...

... ok ...

...Didn't like the plot point where they got Cobra to believe they were dead so they would leave their families alone, then get captured and the news is all like "Hey look they're alive!" Rendering that plan and part of the plot completely pointless.

Also CC boasting that He did what his "minions could not," then showing that he failed sort of reminds me of the bumbling incompetence of Sunbow's CC and I didn't like that. Sure it showed that he's human and that he's flawed, but I didn't want to see that so early into being introduced to CC.

luigi
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
the joes never made it to dc

zartanrulez24
01-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Speaking of character music, do we really have to be reminded that lady jaye is a latina by playing some spanish music everytime she appears on screen? lol

Ctrl_Z
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Speaking of character music, do we really have to be reminded that lady jaye is a latina by playing some spanish music everytime she appears on screen? lol

Speaking of. She's the only one they changed enough for it to bother me.

Adamantite
01-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm worried that both Baroness and CC need to be successful soon or lose a lot of credibility. You can't have credible foes when they fail every single time. Baroness' "they didn't make it to dc" and recovering of the hdd seems too small a victory. Thus far CC, Baroness, Bludd, and SS have all been quite inneffective.

I like that Mindbender seems to be on to something with his bio vipers and seems unconcerned as to everything else going on.

Trooper13
01-04-2011, 03:30 PM
... ok ...

...Didn't like the plot point where they got Cobra to believe they were dead so they would leave their families alone, then get captured and the news is all like "Hey look they're alive!" Rendering that plan and part of the plot completely pointless.

Possibly my only real complaint with the writing. They could have milked atleast 2 or 3 episodes out of that and they dropped the ball. It was a great idea, but it's immediate resolution made it completely pointless.

RenHoek
01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, there was one point in part 1 of Return of Arashikage that annoys me, when during the training Jin jumps in front of him in plain sight, the backflips over him, and has to hit him to make him even aware of the situation.

TU482
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I also don't get some of the character thing like how Duke is now a bomb squad guy. What the hell is that. Tripwire does bombs Dukes leads what's going on in this Joe place?

That part irked me as well. I know that Renegades isn't necessarily following the RAH specialties, but Tunnel Rat was an EOD (explosive ordinance disposal). I was totally thinking TR would disarm the bomb, but then Duke stepped in because as the lead character, he knows more than anyone else.

Jmacq1
01-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm worried that both Baroness and CC need to be successful soon or lose a lot of credibility. You can't have credible foes when they fail every single time. Baroness' "they didn't make it to dc" and recovering of the hdd seems too small a victory. Thus far CC, Baroness, Bludd, and SS have all been quite inneffective.

I like that Mindbender seems to be on to something with his bio vipers and seems unconcerned as to everything else going on.

This is a slippery slope, because for the Bad Guys to win "complete" victories, good guys generally have to die. That'd wipe out your core cast awfully quick (and rapidly turn the show into something unsuitable for kids). It's the same reason comic-book villains can never truly "win" in the long-term: It'd generally mean such a drastic change to the status quo that the setting/story becomes unrecognizable.

Personally I think Cobra has been well-portrayed so far, and its' members suitably dangerous. Storm Shadow has basically trounced the whole team himself twice. Baroness has been cunning and ruthless, and Cobra Commander looks like a great "pulling the strings" villain. Even Major Bludd managed to hold his own against Snake-Eyes one-on-one. Sure, he was more on the losing end, but he got a few good licks in, which is more than can usually be said of bad guys fighting Snake-Eyes.

The Conflict
01-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Where do they sleep? Would like to see an episode that focuses on that aspects.

Really,an entire episode dedicated to their sleeping arrangements? I think Id rather see a 5 part mini series dedicated to how Tunnel Rat's ridiculously baggy overalls stay up when the straps are down.

RenHoek
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
He hooks them on?

Troynos
01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Don't need a whole episode. Just start it off with them getting out of tents, packing up, moving on. Just enough to establish a pattern of what they do.

Would help reinforce the "on the run" part of the whole show.

Renegades is doing good with Cobra and making them look competant. The Joes narrowly escape. The Joes don't really win any decisive victories. They lost the harddrive for example.

Also, they were on their way to Washington for the Cobra party and made it there to steal the harddrive then had to go to Colorado.

The Conflict
01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
He hooks them on?

huh?

RenHoek
01-04-2011, 06:22 PM
huh?

Hooks 'em to a belt he has on under the pants? I don't know.

The Conflict
01-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Well Im all about nitpicking but the few small things Ive noticed dont bother me enough to make a list or anything. Im really enjoying this CARTOON so far.

Actually scratch that,I have the feeling that SS and SE are going to have countless encounters with one always narrowly getting away. If they are such highly train ninjas why cant one just kill the other. Ive never really been a fan of the whole SE SS Arashikage thing,it limits the hell out of SS's character.

The Conflict
01-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Hooks 'em to a belt he has on under the pants? I don't know.

lol,I wasnt seriously curious about how his overalls stay up,it was a joke,maybe even sarcasm. But good job thinking of explanations,lol.

Weaponlogic
01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Only thing i dont love so far is Storm shadows Outfit, it makes sense I just don't like the aesthetics i feel it looks a lil off.

Otherwise loving the show, love the characters love how new everyone feels in it.

Love the little pop culture references, eg breakers wargames reference was cool, its a nod to us who are older and still watching cartoons.

Lets me think Hasbro is taking its fanbase seriously across the board.

Dig major bludds car, its very cool. ( want toy of that )

D00MTR0N
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
the new look of destro and cc

Zablorg
01-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Did anyone else catch Flint's comment regarding Roadblock's trouble at home? That's just a future plot point dangling in our faces, right there.

Ctrl_Z
01-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Really,an entire episode dedicated to their sleeping arrangements? I think Id rather see a 5 part mini series dedicated to how Tunnel Rat's ridiculously baggy overalls stay up when the straps are down.

His constant hard-on holds 'em up.

fireflyguy
01-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I have been watching Renegades again from the first episode, and there is an issue that I'm uncertain of:

In the first episode, LJ gives each team member orders, they meet up with Scarlett and go to the cobra building. She makes it sound like she knows Hawk, but she really doesn't. So who gave them these orders? Was it just Scarlett acting alone? If so, how did she get LJ involved to select the 4 guys? If the orders came from higher up, then from who? Were they being set up by that general that ended up getting fried?

Adamantite
01-05-2011, 03:36 PM
I think Bludd's car is based off the 2008+ Dodge Challenger (http://www.dodge.com/en/2010/challenger/gallery/). But I could be wrong. Any ideas?

Trooper13
01-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I have been watching Renegades again from the first episode, and there is an issue that I'm uncertain of:

In the first episode, LJ gives each team member orders, they meet up with Scarlett and go to the cobra building. She makes it sound like she knows Hawk, but she really doesn't. So who gave them these orders? Was it just Scarlett acting alone? If so, how did she get LJ involved to select the 4 guys? If the orders came from higher up, then from who? Were they being set up by that general that ended up getting fried?

There are only two explanations I can see, and both are completely plausible knowing brass in the Army.

First, Scarlett was looking for favor and trying to get herself noticed. She knew Hawk might have been wary of Cobra, so she acted on her own, throwing his name around. Hoping that if she got her proof, and blew the whistle on Cobra it would look really good on her record. Hawk would get the credit as she is one of his officers, and she would be rewarded. This, to me, is the most likely. She came off in the first episode as the quintessential power hungry officer. Very self-important. Tossing around Hawk's name everywhere and trying to make herself seem more important then she was.

The second option, which is just as plausible, is that Hawk knew what Scarlet was up to, but they are playing him as ignorant to keep his deniability intact. Meaning that he "gave the order", but it was given through an intermediary, out the side of their mouths to Scarlet. That way he can disavow any knowledge of the operation now that it's gone sour. It's definitely SOP for brass at Hawk's level, especially in the intelligence field. Either way they go with it would be completely believable for me.

That being said. Scarlet's attitude at the beginning of the series leads me to believe the first scenario is the more likely. In any event, very good, adult oriented storytelling, if you ask me.

MFJayman
01-11-2011, 02:53 PM
There are only two explanations I can see, and both are completely plausible knowing brass in the Army.

First, Scarlett was looking for favor and trying to get herself noticed. She knew Hawk might have been wary of Cobra, so she acted on her own, throwing his name around. Hoping that if she got her proof, and blew the whistle on Cobra it would look really good on her record. Hawk would get the credit as she is one of his officers, and she would be rewarded. This, to me, is the most likely. She came off in the first episode as the quintessential power hungry officer. Very self-important. Tossing around Hawk's name everywhere and trying to make herself seem more important then she was.

The second option, which is just as plausible, is that Hawk knew what Scarlet was up to, but they are playing him as ignorant to keep his deniability intact. Meaning that he "gave the order", but it was given through an intermediary, out the side of their mouths to Scarlet. That way he can disavow any knowledge of the operation now that it's gone sour. It's definitely SOP for brass at Hawk's level, especially in the intelligence field. Either way they go with it would be completely believable for me.

That being said. Scarlet's attitude at the beginning of the series leads me to believe the first scenario is the more likely. In any event, very good, adult oriented storytelling, if you ask me.

I think you're right on the money with that.

I'd like to see some good Scarlett back-story pretty soon, like we've seen for Duke, SE, SS, Flint, L jaye so far. Hopefully it will help clear up some of this, without giving away all of the mystery.

I'm digging Scarlett's Renegades look more and more. They really took her borderline-ridiculous ARAH look and made it something clearly reminiscent of that, but much more sensible and modern. Very cool.

brasseagle6
01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
how come roadblock isnt rhyming

General Hawk
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM

Because this show makes sense.

Freedom
01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
He did rhyme in the last episode.

Troynos
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM

Thank god he isn't.

fireflyguy
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Thank god he isn't.

We all form a rhyme from time-to-time.

Do it too much, you look like a douche and such.

fireflyguy
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
The Baroness has been referring to the Renegades as "Joes". Now, I remember in the 2nd episode, Duke said they were "average joes", but why does the Baroness refer to them that way?

Monkeywrench
01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
II'd like to see some good Scarlett back-story pretty soon, like we've seen for Duke, SE, SS, Flint, L jaye so far. Hopefully it will help clear up some of this, without giving away all of the mystery.

I agree

firefly069
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Great thread OP! Lots of great comments.

I agree I like that the arashikage clan is not as honorable as the marvel series. Ninja's are generally bad. I also like Storm shadow's character alot, but not so much his uniform. but if they change it since he joins cobra than it works.

I like all the cameos. I don't think it's feasible to have a series with too many joes in each episode. I don't mind if they focus on the best 10-20 and have a few epic battles to include more.

destro, CC, Baroness, Major Bludd and Scrap Iron are bad ass. The writers are doing a good job setting up the bad guys back stories.

Not a fan of Lady Jaye being latina, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I like TR, and Roadblock alot, as well as the Duke Flint football rivarly.

Overall a great series, and I hope they can get to 100 episodes!

I had really low expectations so I am really impressed. Resolute was great, but DIC, rise of cobra, the rise of cobra videogame were quite weak.

Freedom
01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
How many times has Flint lost his beret?

Once when Major Blud blew by him in his car in Episode 3, and again on the side of th e train in Episode 7.

fireflyguy
01-12-2011, 10:12 AM
How many times has Flint lost his beret?

Once when Major Blud blew by him in his car in Episode 3, and again on the side of th e train in Episode 7.

He has extras stashed in the glove compartment.

Freedom
01-12-2011, 10:37 AM
He has extras stashed in the glove compartment.
lol

I just think it's cool that the animators will make a point to show the beret flying off when most animators would just take the easy route and leave it on.

It makes me picture Flint having to go by the uniform shop everytime he gets back to base.

"Lose another one, sir?"
"Just give me another one."
"I can sell you a whole box at a discount to keep in your jeep."

(one week later)

"Back so soon, sir?"
"They stole my jeep..."

pdaaat
01-12-2011, 11:31 AM
The General don't lie - rhyming Roadblock was one annoying guy!

MFJayman
01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
lol

I just think it's cool that the animators will make a point to show the beret flying off when most animators would just take the easy route and leave it on.

It makes me picture Flint having to go by the uniform shop everytime he gets back to base.

"Lose another one, sir?"
"Just give me another one."
"I can sell you a whole box at a discount to keep in your jeep."

(one week later)

"Back so soon, sir?"
"They stole my jeep..."

Haha :) I think that's probably exactly what he does.

He just needs to attach string or ribbons to either side of the beret and tie it under his chin.

samantha
01-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I agree with several here. Cobra has to win sometimes. They are no threat if the always fail.

MFJayman
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
The Baroness has been referring to the Renegades as "Joes". Now, I remember in the 2nd episode, Duke said they were "average joes", but why does the Baroness refer to them that way?

Good question. I believe at the end of episode 2 she referred to them as "renegade soldiers" when speaking to CC. I thought that perhaps the media had begun to call them "Joes" or something, and that she was simply going with that, but after they were caught, in Episode 7 the media referred to them as "the Springfield Four". So I guess that's what the public knows them as.

Perhaps Breaker picked up on the whole "average Joes" thing while with them, and began referring to them as such on the Internet, and it caught on. Baroness might have learned of it through this.

Hmm....

MFJayman
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
At the beginning of episode 6, Scarlett receives that picture of Duke's family from Breaker, whom Scarlett says received it on his website as part of a message from Cobra, addressed to "the Joes", not "the Springfield Four" or anything. So I'd say Cobra must have learned of this "nickname" for the team through Breaker's site.

Jmacq1
01-13-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree with several here. Cobra has to win sometimes. They are no threat if the always fail.

Cobra has won every single engagement they've had on the show. The Joes have collected evidence against them multiple times and Cobra manages to destroy or re-acquire it every single time. Storm Shadow successfully (for the moment) turned Jinx against Snake-Eyes. The Joes might be winning the physical confrontations by virtue of the fact that they're all still breathing, but they're still losing the war, big-time. Even the battle against Destro really didn't net them anything except a new enemy. It'll likely be the same with Zartan and the Dreadnoks...they might stop the Dreadnoks short-term plans, but all they're really doing is making more enemies for themselves in the long term.

The problem seems to be that folks think the bad-guys aren't winning the gunfights/swordfights (even if they're doing pretty darn good)...but the gunfights aren't all that important, and if they DID win the gunfights, then the Joes would be dead and this show would be over rather quickly after that, wouldn't it? Cobra has no interest in keeping them alive, so a Cobra "victory" in a physical confrontation means dead Joes, period.

crock master
01-13-2011, 04:13 PM
i like that roadblock is deathmetal.

Derek2783
01-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Couple of things to point out.

1. I agree I'd like to see more story establishing pattern of things like "how do they survive and where do they sleep", etc. However, keep in mind, this show is for kids. Kids aren't that savvy, they're not asking those questions, they just want to see the action. Personally, I'm pleased they've focused as much as they have on character and plot development. I'd prefer a cartoon targeted at us collectors, but this being a kids show, it's pretty dang good.

2. Cobra is winning. Despite the Joes foiling some plans and continuing to escape, the fact remains that the Joes are currently fugitives from justice, while Cobra is the world's dominant corporation and still operates with impunity. The Joes still have no evidence with which to prove Cobra's evil intentions. I think this sets Cobra up -especially in a child's mind- as a pretty strong and capable opponant for the Joes.