PDA

View Full Version : When did certain characters become such integral characters? LOL.

MeLikeJinx
01-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Actually, I am mostly talking about Tunnel Rat & Ripcord. LOL.

I noticed this first in Resolute, but then Tunnel Rat showed up as a main character in Renegades too. LOL. Before that the last time I saw Tunnel Rat was in the '86 Joe movie, didn't know he had become such a "must include in the team" character since then.

I mean I knew... SE, Duke, Scarlett & Flint are "must have in the cartoon" characters... that's pretty much a given. Then in the second tier of "must haves" are probably either Roadblock, Gung-Ho, Lady Jaye, maybe Beachhead & General Hawk... which sort of makes sense to me.

And even though Tunnel Rat is one of my favorite ARAH & 25th figs, as a character I thought he was mostly just a new guy and pretty much unessential.

Same with Ripcord... Before the ROC movie I had almost completely forgotten who Ripcord was. LOL. But then Ripcord was picked to be in both the ROC movie and Renegades show as a main character.

USAgent
01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Tunnel rat was a main character back in Sigma Six

Tanksmasher
01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I think they're trying to preserve the Ripcord name but Tunnel Rat's presence is an attempt to change up the core cast a little and introduce some popular characters that never took center stage.

Sgt. Airborne
01-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Well seeing as Ripcord was in the movie (and appears to have died almost immediately in Renegades) I can see it. As for Tunnel Rat, perhaps he was chosen because there is the notion that the character is a tip of the cap to Mr. Hama.

fireflyguy
01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
In the original Marvel run, Ripcord had a pretty prominent role in some of the comics. Of course, that was when he was a white guy with reddish hair.

cobracobra
01-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Well I am sure Marlon Wayans was chosen for the role well before there was a script. I am sure it said "comical urban character" where the role of Duke was described as "Axe soap commercial douche".

CVdelgado
01-03-2011, 08:36 PM
tunnelrat has been one of my favorites since back when i first got that og figure. he looked tough and badass in a time when everything was going space age and neon.

i was geeked when i saw his sigma six figure and grabbed it right away.

super cool to see him in the 3 most recent gi joe incarnations. cant wait to see a renegades shippy, lol.

CVdelgado
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
"Axe soap commercial douche".

hahaha lololololol...

Saboteur
01-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Tunnel Rat is someone who's popular. He's fits the cynical persona for the show. And he's got some military experience that benefits the team and is practical for the show.

Yo Blow!
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Although I believe his filecard says he's asian, in the '86 movie Tunnel Rat was switched to kind of Latino. Now when they're casting a new Joe cartoon, and need more ethnic diversity, TR is their go to Hispanic. It seems like no one can be bothered to watch anything but the '86 movie when doing research.

As for Ripcord I think they wanted to use Stalker in the '09 film, balked at naming a black dude who goes all Peppy La Pew on a white chick "Stalker", and since they wrote piloting into his character looked for a Joe who had something to do with the air. Ripcord sounds cooler than Ace. Were there any black pilots in ARAH? Was there one in BF2000?

carion
01-03-2011, 08:43 PM
In the original Marvel run, Ripcord had a pretty prominent role in some of the comics. Of course, that was when he was a white guy with reddish hair.

That was the real Ripcord. He went toe to toe with Zartan and almost killed him. Zartan won the fight but needed emergancie medical treatment afterwards.

Then after impersinating Zartan Ripcord discovered the locaction of Springfield and had to fight for his life against the dreadnoks, Scrap-iron, and a whole bunch of Cobra troopers while contacting the PIT for to let the rest of the joe team know where Cobra's base was.

That was the good ole days of GI Joe.

Wylde Weezle
01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Well, Hasbro went to all the trouble to Trademark/Register etc. all the names used in the movie so Hawk, Breaker and Ripcord makes sense to throw in there, if only briefly.

Tunnel Rat was cool in the original Marvel comics, was in the '86 movie, so back when Valor vs. Venom and Sigma 6 were the new thing it didn't seem strange at all to see him there.

CVdelgado
01-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Although I believe his filecard says he's asian, in the '86 movie Tunnel Rat was switched to kind of Latino. Now when they're casting a new Joe cartoon, and need more ethnic diversity, TR is their go to Hispanic. It seems like no one can be bothered to watch anything but the '86 movie when doing research.

TR is a mutt. always has been. I remember that was another thing i dug about him back in the day.

CVdelgado
01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
funny how people are bringing up race again, like it matters...

sounds a little cynical.

luigi
01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
because joe said so

Charade
01-03-2011, 09:31 PM
That was the real Ripcord. He went toe to toe with Zartan and almost killed him. Zartan won the fight but needed emergancie medical treatment afterwards.

Then after impersinating Zartan Ripcord discovered the locaction of Springfield and had to fight for his life against the dreadnoks, Scrap-iron, and a whole bunch of Cobra troopers while contacting the PIT for to let the rest of the joe team know where Cobra's base was.

Amen, brother.

takedown
01-03-2011, 09:32 PM

As for Ripcord I think they wanted to use Stalker in the '09 film, balked at naming a black dude who goes all Peppy La Pew on a white chick "Stalker", and since they wrote piloting into his character looked for a Joe who had something to do with the air. Ripcord sounds cooler than Ace. Were there any black pilots in ARAH? Was there one in BF2000?

Law was portrayed as the hispanic joe in the 87 movie. Tunnel Rat was at least a 2nd generation asian-mutt-american born and raised in New York.

As far as confusion in the ARAH Sunbow, Bazooka was black for like 3 seconds in "Lights, Camera Cobra" (tho that could have been the actor).

In Marvel issue 64, Payload appears as a black pilot. Tho afterwards and along with his figure, he appears caucasian.

WVMojo
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I dig that Tunnel Rat is part of the new team...I loved the figure as a kid, but couldn't understand if he's supposed to be a "tunnel rat" then why did Hasbro give him a BFG and that Boy Scout "be prepared even with the kitchen sink" backpack he carried around?

Outback 2094
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Like everyone has said, Duke, Scarlett, SE, etc. are pretty much obligatory. I just assumed Ripcord was included in Renegades because he was also in RoC... so the kids "know who he is". As for Roadblock and Tunnel Rat? They do have their following and IMO Roadblock could be considered a core character.

It could be argued that Ripcord became intergral to the Joe mythos because of his inclusion in the movie. Of course, the next question would be "why is Heavy Duty not in Renegades"?

HD's exclusion from Renegades could be based on fan response to his RoC appearance. On the other hand, let's say Ripcord was NOT in RoC, and replaced with Flint. Would he prove any more or less popular than he already is?

Now I'm just rambling... but for the record, Outback is integral to my Joe Universe and Ripcord is a wisecracking black dude.

CVdelgado
01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
i think tunnelrat and roadblock are both core characters now and 4-life. werent they buddies in sigma 6. i only watched one episode on you tube.

TheBeachHead
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Were there any black pilots in ARAH? Was there one in BF2000?

Dee Jay was in BF2000 but not a pilot.

helrod
01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Hasbro lost a lot of characters names over the years.
(that's what all of the "SGT".Stalker, or Shock blast stuff is about)
the ones you see now are whats left,
But maybe I'll try to copyright Tunnel rat just to see if they've bothered to or not.

luigi
01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Hasbro lost a lot of characters names over the years.
(that's what all of the "SGT".Stalker, or Shock blast stuff is about)
the ones you see now are whats left,
But maybe I'll try to copyright Tunnel rat just to see if they've bothered to or not.
dont plz
also dataframe

holyfrog
01-03-2011, 11:14 PM

One of the best arcs ever. He was also part of the team that went to Sierra Gordo to rescue Dr Berkhart for the second time. The was the only arc that Recondo was in. I don't get why he is so popular.

Smokebomb
01-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes they were buddies on Sigma 6 and actually quite humorous. I would imagine it's a combination of that chemistry, homage to Mr. Hama and to succesfully incorporate a very diverse team. Of course it has something to do with demographics....Little kids like to see someone that has the same apppearance as they do....Especially in hero form. I get my daughters the Barbie's that look like them so they can pretend it's them...I think Hasbro has the same idea. Anyway the military is very diverse.

Wylde Weezle
01-03-2011, 11:43 PM
The Sunbow series and Marvel Comics established who the toyline's core characters are, Hasbro won't release a wave of figures without at least a Duke, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, or Destro.
Scarlett and the Baroness should be considered core characters too.

Since it was to a mass audience (and free) I'd say the Sunbow series established 2nd Tier characters as:

Flint, Lady Jaye, Shipwreck, Roadblock, Wild Bill, Bazooka, Zartan

and today Hasbro seems to be pushing these guys to becoming core characters based on Valor Vs. Venom, Sigma 6, ROC:

Heavy Duty, Jinx, Tunnel Rat, Rip Cord, Breaker, Firefly

Deathsynger
01-04-2011, 12:29 AM
TR reminds me of Rattrap. Which is cool!
YouTube - Beast Wars Rattrap Appreciation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR54zNMGHbU)

The L.O.C.
01-04-2011, 12:43 AM
TR had a pretty big role in Resolute as well

Yo Blow!
01-04-2011, 02:03 AM
For whatever reason TR just barely beat out Low Light as the Joe's Firefly (Firefly being the overall GI Joe Boba Fett). You almost never saw TR in the ARAH cartoon or Comic. I really liked Resolute but it would have made a ton more sense if Stalker and Tunnel Rat switched missions. Practically anyone but TR going after those balloons would have been more logical.

NSP
01-04-2011, 02:18 AM
As far as what you are speaking of........

DIVERSITY.

MeLikeJinx
01-04-2011, 03:02 AM
As far as what you are speaking of........

DIVERSITY.
You mean like Torpedo & Wet Suit school? LOL.

Loose Cannon
01-04-2011, 03:28 AM
This is an interesting topic. I think that diversity has something to do with TR appearing more often. Plus the fact that he is based off Larry Hama, as Larry was an actual tunnelrat in Vietnam. But before Tunnel Rat they had Quick-Kick to fill the Asian team member role. TR is sort of QKs replacement. When they did the Movie they introduced the next wave of characters who appear very diverse, with Tunnel-Rat, Jinx, Big-Lob, and Law who appearred Hispanic. I think they have to keep the team diverse as they realized that all boys like army/war toys. They used TR with Heavy Duty in Sigma Six, but there is a definite backlash to HD. They just Replaced HD with Roadblock as it should be in Renegades. I'm only sad because Gung-Ho and Roadblock seemed like the best of buddies back in the day. (Comics for sure) Gung-Ho is my Favorite Joe.

We had also seen more Kamakura for a while. I'm curious if they will try to use the same characters from IDW as they do in Renegades. They've left Heavy Duty alone for a while, but they may be a issue with ROC 2.

I wonder who else they can start including? Mercer would be cool for me.

I believe all of us gravitate to a character we can relate to. This is why the filecards are so important for figures that don't get screen or comic time. As someone who is of a mixed background I was very drawn to the fact that TR was of a mixed heritage, more so that Quick-Kick.

I'm drawn to all Marine characters because my father was a Marine. I'm drawn to all Hispanic characters because I'm half Hispanic, and I'm drawn to all characters from Michigan or Virginia since that is where I grew up.

If they made a half Hispanic, Marine officer from Quantico, I'd shit a brick.

Stormgard
01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
As a comic fan, TR has always been my favorite Joe, and all that time as kid, I never even had him. He looked properly badass, straight from a Vietnam movie (and keep in mind that he came out right around the time of the major Vietnam movies were hitting the theatres). As far as appearances go, he was one of the few Joes of his time who looked like a fairly realistic 80s era special forces type of guy.

He featured pretty prominently in the comic, rarely taking center stage, but always being in the thick of the action, and often taking point on patrols. I personally related to his mixed ethnic background, and I thought it was cool that he was this slightly short guy who still carried a great big backpack and an M-60 - as if he felt he had to prove to himself and his teammates that he could pull his weight, and then some.

He was tough and had a ruthless professionalism when circumstances needed that - remember how he mowed down those Blueshirts from behind during the Cobra Island Civil War. But he was also much more sociable and charismatic than some of the other edgier guys on the team like Leatherneck or LowLight.

If Snake Eyes was Achilles, Stalker was Odysseus, Roadblock was Ajax, and Storm Shadow was Hector, then Tunnel Rat was Diomedes. His classification as EOD never really made so much sense, but he was clearly a pretty dependable all-rounder.

maczero
01-11-2011, 12:17 PM
As for Ripcord I think they wanted to use Stalker in the '09 film, balked at naming a black dude who goes all Peppy La Pew on a white chick "Stalker",That's how I see it.

As for Tunnel Rat, I think it's because he's the little guy of the bunch. You typically have a scrappy/funny little brother type in a lot of team cartoons. Personally, I've always liked his design. Particularly because he wore his bandana like an ol' school doo-rag.

Freedom
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
1. Diversity
2. Design asthetics - Tunnel Rat's small staure is a distinct contrast to the other Joes especially Roadblock.
With your hero teams, you always have your Leader, Female, Big Guy, Little Guy, and Mysterious Guy.

As far as Ripcord being in RoC, the role was not written for an actor of any race. It was NOT supposed to be Stalker. It was a Joe in the Army that wanted to fly jets. The writer chose the name Ripcord, because it suited the specialty. Marlon Wayans was suggested by Rachel Nichols (Scarlett), and Ripcord is the role they gave him. Race was not a stipulation or an issue.

Hazemat
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
New era, new focus. What can I say, like it or not, change is good.

Shipshape1983
01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
They needed an asian guy who wasnt a villain. As for Ripcord, he was in the movie, and he counts as 1 of 2 black guys.