PDA

View Full Version : Lady J Renegades

elcid698
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Is Lady J latino. After Watching the homecoming episode, her voice seemed a little like a latino.

Monkeywrench
12-29-2010, 06:19 PM
shes latino in the renegades verse.

why? I don't know.

Mr.Kane
12-29-2010, 06:23 PM
I just have 1 ouestion how is she latino? When her name remains the same.

Monkeywrench
12-29-2010, 06:25 PM
if u notice, they always play "latino music" whenever shes on screen

xSwamiJayx
12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I have another question: does it matter?

I'll answer it myself: no. No it does not.

Bombardier
12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I just have 1 ouestion how is she latino? When her name remains the same.

adoption, marriage, dual ethnicities...lots of possibilities.

Bombardier
12-29-2010, 06:27 PM

smartest post of the day

skrapps
12-29-2010, 06:28 PM
really? i alway figured she had a louisana slur to her voice, or the voice actor is just trying to do that.. but she reminds me of a chick from louisiana

Bombardier
12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
so she has an accent, who gives a shit? She's just as American as you and me.

Wry1
12-29-2010, 06:30 PM
She's definitely a latina this go around, which makes me dig her even more.

Silverclown
12-29-2010, 06:31 PM
UM? Just food for thought but isnt Lady J Loosly related to Destro making her a Scot?

Mr.Kane
12-29-2010, 06:32 PM
adoption, marriage, dual ethnicities...lots of possibilities.

Yeah that's one way to look at it.

Lifeline_MD
12-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I still don't understand the reason for the change. It serves no obvious purpose. To me she's the exact same character with a slightly darker skin colour and slight accent from the south.

I know one girl who's Scottish/British who's skin is almost as dark as a stereotypical Latino's. I'm just taking this to be the same thing.

Bombardier
12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
I still don't understand the reason for the change. It serves no obvious purpose. To me she's the exact same character with a slightly darker skin colour and slight accent from the south.

I know one girl who's Scottish/British who's skin is almost as dark as a stereotypical Latino's. I'm just taking this to be the same thing.

does it harm the show or the character in any way?

elcid698
12-29-2010, 06:40 PM
It doesn't bother me if Lady J is hispanic. G.i. joe operatives can be anyone american. The show is awesome.

skrapps
12-29-2010, 07:16 PM
does it harm the show or the character in any way?

it could possibly harm the character if shes to be related to destro. but if they totally abandoned that relation and revamped lady j, then nah, no harm done :)

RichardRider
12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
smartest post of the day

Seconded.

gijoe071681
12-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I thought she sounded like she was from Jersey other than that I really didn't think about it.

Sunbow_Joe84
12-29-2010, 07:50 PM
why is ok to make an a-list joe like lady jaye hispanic, but an abomination if a c-lister like ripcord becomes black?

Sunbow_Joe84
12-29-2010, 07:51 PM
also i liked marlon "ripcord" waynes

RolandofGilead
12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Latinas are hot, what's not to like?

MethaZord
12-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Haters,Yeah it seems like it.....
elcid698 the el I'm assuming means your latino.
Never mind the hate every time someone brings race into subject we
get these smart ass answers from all-over! Like me you love seeing
characters you identify with in the joe verse. And i think this Murder
Mami will kill your curiosities later by revealing her background!!!

Wry1
12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
why is ok to make an a-list joe like lady jaye hispanic, but an abomination if a c-lister like ripcord becomes black?

Well...to me anyways it had nothing to do with race in the least, I just didn't want a Wayans fuckin' up my Joe movie with cheesy comic relief. Oddly enough he was far from the worst part of ROC....

CVdelgado
12-29-2010, 08:17 PM
its all good. i like her!

FYI, but girls are latinA, guys are latinO.

MethaZord
12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
I agree....and don't forget the asian chicks....
the darker the berry!!!!

CVdelgado
12-29-2010, 08:22 PM

word.

CVdelgado
12-29-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree....and don't forget the asian chicks....
the darker the berry!!!!

i thought it was the older the berry,

jk...

Unclassified
12-29-2010, 08:30 PM
latina feminine... not latino masculine....

elcid698
12-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Letting Methazord know that I'm Canadian from Spanish descent.

Flint071
12-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm white from the waist down.

flash70
12-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Lady J is the best character on the show.

Tracker
12-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I know as someone of Scottish descent it was cool back in the day that there was character that was of Scottish descent who's background was used in the show. So for me seeing lady jaye changed like that is kinda disheartening.

Also one odd thing that they do in the new show is give her own theme music I have no idea why and the do the same thing for Snake-eye, it almost like there trying to use the music to say hay I'm a ninja or say hay I'm latina, like audience isn't smart enough to figure that out.

But that being said this is a whole new telling of the story and she is good character in the show and one of the best and it works

L.T. SEAL
12-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks hasbro for rapping my child hood. Was I the 1st. It really dosen't matter to me anyways. I'm Latino. Si yo quiero taco bell..

Flint071
12-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks hasbro for rapping my child hood. Was I the 1st. It really dosen't matter to me anyways. I'm Latino. Si yo quiero taco bell..

Rapping your childhood - maybe Eminem could do the re-mix.

Apparently your childhood wasn't spent in spelling class. LOL

I love that goddamn Taco Bell dog -

Unclassified
12-29-2010, 09:57 PM
i think her accent is sexy as fnck.... is there really anything better than a latin girl talking?? ok , a russian and english girl, but that's it... thinking about it just made a mess in my pants..

MeLikeJinx
12-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Lady J is the best character on the show.
^This. LOL. Every time she's onscreen she brightens up the entire mood of the scene IMO.

the odinson
12-29-2010, 11:34 PM
hooters

helrod
12-29-2010, 11:39 PM
yep ..thats why they play latino music every time shes on screen Always good to teach kids racism.
kinda pisses me off.

Monkeywrench
12-29-2010, 11:42 PM
yep ..thats why they play latino music every time shes on screen Always good to teach kids racism.
kinda pisses me off.

ftw

John_0515
12-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Maybe Jersey or Bronx if not Latino.

rsg
12-30-2010, 12:03 AM
I thought the original Lady Jaye was supposed to be Irish and the Destro thing was only in the cartoon (where they just gave her a flat accent). Have to be honest though, Sunbow's take on Lady Jaye is probably one of my favorite things about the show.

Not interested in Renegades, 99% of modern animation makes me sick. As long as her figure is cool, I can always call her something else if I don't think she's Lady Jaye enough.

As for the "theme" music, remember it's a show for kids - they're going to point out the obvious just to make sure the 4 year olds get it. Believe me, they want your cash for the figures, vehicles and whatever their sponsors are shilling. Your viewership as an adult is mostly irrelevant, you're already addicted to plastic crack.

xSwamiJayx
12-30-2010, 12:07 AM
kinda pisses me off.

I wouldn't call it racism. I'd call it recurring musical themes, a common trait in most television shows and movies. Lots of shows and movies have limited cash for scores (or just lazy composers) and reuse themes over and over. Hell, John Williams has been lifting from his Star Wars themes for the better part of three decades now and has made a mint while he was at it.

It's just background noise andi guarantee that most kids don't notice it because it isn't very prominent.

Which reminds me: this show lacks an mfing theme song.

Dirtbag
12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
She could be mixed. I'm half Corsican and half Native Indian Taino. Full fledge Puertorican. My first language is Spanish and my last name is Emmanuelli which is Corsican.

I actually like the Spanish guitar theme which always find odd that people in the States associates with Mexican or Latin American Culture right away. Spanish guitar as my understanding it originates from Spain. It has been an influence in Latin music which is basically at huge amalgamation of African and Native Indian beats with European music. Modern latino music and when I say modern I mean "Salsa" which is a huge mix of all the above and American Jazz. Hence the name Salsa as in salsa which is mix of flavors or spices. Still you don't hear at all in most modern Salsa music. Much less Reggaeton that horrible abomination we are responsible off creating.

In the end I like the idea as is the first time in a GIjoe cartoon other than Sigma 6 that I can remember that they give us a "Latin" good character. I'll be damn if someone says Sigma 6 Long Range or Sunbows Law. Good Jesus now that was stereotypical.

In conclusion I like her as a character I don't give three Shieeetttss of the ethnicity. She has a purpose, she's being well develop as an ally to the Joes and she's competent.

On a side note I freaking hate Taco Bell. Nothing beats a good real Mexican restaurant.

Zefram
12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't call it racism. I'd call it recurring musical themes, a common trait in most television shows and movies. Lots of shows and movies have limited cash for scores (or just lazy composers) and reuse themes over and over. Hell, John Williams has been lifting from his Star Wars themes for the better part of three decades now and has made a mint while he was at it.

It's just background noise andi guarantee that most kids don't notice it because it isn't very prominent.

It's called a leitmotif, a particular piece of music that is used in different ways to identify a particular character or group. Notice how many different ways the Rhohirrim theme is reused in LotR. When it's done well, and organically with the rest of the soundtrack, it's beautiful.

The problem is that hers, like Snake Eyes, is way too obvious and in contrast with the regular background music, and as a result it sucks. It's the one part of the show I will honestly say is crap. It's the exact opposite of being organic and subtle. It's like if Ripcord walked on and they started playing record scratching or a hip-hop beat, or if some Mississippi blues for RB.

It's jarring, and something I hope they seriously drop or rework in the next season.

RogueReSCuE
12-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Latina
todays Joe is a diverse Joe

MeLikeJinx
12-30-2010, 01:43 AM
todays Joe is a diverse Joe
IDK... ARAH Joe was pretty darn diverse too IMO. LOL. I bet if they could have figured out how to make an ET from Mars into a Joe back then... they would have done that too... probably. LOL.

Inspirit128
12-30-2010, 01:48 AM
I like the refer the Renegade version of her as Lady Jaye-Lo and her future boyfriend is Flint Affleck.

KingBiohazerd
12-30-2010, 02:16 AM
Idk none of this stuff ever really seems to bother me at all and I'm half mexican and half irish.

Sunbow_Joe84
12-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Idk none of this stuff ever really seems to bother me at all and I'm half mexican and half irish.

ha ha! me too. mexican mom, irish dad.

Sgt Humpty
12-30-2010, 04:28 AM

LOL - you win the thread...

UM? Just food for thought but isnt Lady J Loosly related to Destro making her a Scot?

Only in Sunbow's continuity...

Seconded.

is there really anything better than a latin girl talking??

Hmmm... I can think of a few things.

Zefram
12-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Hmmm... I can think of a few things.

>.>

<.<

Oh my.

Sgt Humpty
12-30-2010, 04:40 AM
>.>

<.<

Oh my.

I knew that wouldn't go unnoticed! LOL

CVdelgado
12-30-2010, 04:52 AM
On a side note I freaking hate Taco Bell. Nothing beats a good real Mexican restaurant.

Taco Bell is a whole nother category of food. its called "whitexican". its contemporaries are del taco, and el torito to name a few.

MFJayman
12-30-2010, 05:21 AM
It would definitely make sense that they made her latina in this--I mean, look at the demographics of our country, and our military. I'm all for her being Hispanic (which can of course range, "racially", from white to indigenous American to African, Asian, or any mix). But I wish they would make it clear in the show, through dialogue or some other means, that she is indeed Hispanic, and therefore deviates in ethnicity from her earlier incarnation. I think they mentioned in the show already that her name was Alison Hart-Burnett...which is just weird and warrants some explanation, if they are otherwise going to be hinting in episode after episode, via her accent or theme music or whatever, that she is Hispanic. It would be a fine twist on her character if she was, from here on out, Hispanic, but I'd like to see some explicit evidence of that change, so that her accent and theme music does not seem simply odd.

RenHoek
12-30-2010, 05:27 AM
It would definitely make sense that they made her latina in this--I mean, look at the demographics of our country, and our military. I'm all for her being Hispanic (which can of course range, "racially", from white to indigenous American to African, Asian, or any mix). But I wish they would make it clear in the show, through dialogue or some other means, that she is indeed Hispanic, and therefore deviates in ethnicity from her earlier incarnation. I think they mentioned in the show already that her name was Alison Hart-Burnett...which is just weird and warrants some explanation, if they are otherwise going to be hinting in episode after episode, via her accent or theme music or whatever, that she is Hispanic. It would be a fine twist on her character if she was, from here on out, Hispanic, but I'd like to see some explicit evidence of that change, so that her accent and theme music does not seem simply odd.

They confirmed it way back.

Wylde Weezle
12-30-2010, 05:57 AM
In the opening credits where they show the dossiers is her name still Allison Hart-Barnett (sp?). Just saying it's not a very Latin sounding last name. So if I were to venture a guess she'd be adopted or half Latina half ...Irish? Scottish?

Happens quite a bit apparently. I have an Army buddy named Patrick Rodriguez and in the Chicago suburb where I grew up they have a Mexirish restaurant called Carlos Murphy's

Black Swan
12-30-2010, 06:09 AM
I love the character of LJ no matter what.Even if she was a bald, albino dwarf with a mustache. She would still be hot.

Seriously if she is Latina I'm cool with that and if I were Flint I would consider myself to be a lucky man to hit that jackpot.;)

M_renegade
12-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Even if she was a bald, albino dwarf with a mustache. She would still be hot.

No she won't! *shudders*

MFJayman
12-30-2010, 06:30 AM
I love the character of LJ no matter what.Even if she was a bald, albino dwarf with a mustache. She would still be hot.

Seriously if she is Latina I'm cool with that and if I were Flint I would consider myself to be a lucky man to hit that jackpot.;)

Haha, oh man. I don't know about the dwarf part, but...yeah, you pretty much sum up my sentiment about LJ.

When the toys come out, I at least want Flint and L Jaye in a 2-pack, maybe a campsite playset, with a tent and a single bed mat.

...giggity....alll riiight!

laurenluna1977
12-30-2010, 08:55 AM
i think her accent is sexy as fnck.... is there really anything better than a latin girl talking??

The answer is, as with any girl, not talking ... the talking just ruins it [just watch any Jenna Haze, Sasha Grey, or Bree Olson movie]; sometimes Dude just needs the quiet to concentrate and enjoy what he's doing.

Black Swan
12-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Wow I actually said that. It's funny when you go back and read when post while drunk. LJ FTW!

maczero
12-30-2010, 04:34 PM
But I wish they would make it clear in the show, through dialogue or some other means, that she is indeed Hispanic, and therefore deviates in ethnicity from her earlier incarnation. I think they mentioned in the show already that her name was Alison Hart-Burnett...which is just weird and warrants some explanation, if they are otherwise going to be hinting in episode after episode, via her accent or theme music or whatever, that she is Hispanic.I just looked up Lady Jaye's voice actress. Her name is Niya Futterman. She appears to be Latin but definitely has an Anglo last name. If she is Latina then she's living proof that your appearance doesn't have to match the origin of your surname.

Wry1
12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
The answer is, as with any girl, not talking ... the talking just ruins it [just watch any Jenna Haze, Sasha Grey, or Bree Olson movie]; sometimes Dude just needs the quiet to concentrate and enjoy what he's doing.

Hahaha! Dude that comment, combined with your sig and avatar.....you should change your handle to Lord Jerkins.

azoric
12-30-2010, 05:00 PM
she sounds like she's brooklin latino

laurenluna1977
12-30-2010, 06:57 PM

A little too Rosie Perez for you?

Black Swan
12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Rosie Perez was Hot in WMCJ. I just see her as LJ saying "Sometimes when you lose,you actually win...

JoeMama
12-30-2010, 08:21 PM
ah. I thought she was from Brooklyn.

JoeMama
12-30-2010, 08:22 PM

yes, I concur.
my thoughts exactly.
or someone just raised in spanish harlem.
whatevs.
it adds flava to the show.
ain't nothin' takin away from the awesomeness of this show, the character development, and the original take.
win.
shogi win, at that.