PDA

View Full Version : Little Bro Vince = Falcon Theory

Freedom
12-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I think most of us watching "Renegades" believe that Duke's little brother being named Vince was at least a nod to the animated movie where Duke and Falcon are half brothers.

But did anybody catch that the footbal team that Flint played for was named the Falcons?

I don't know if "Renegades" will last long enough for us to see if Little Brother Vince actually becomes Falcon, but what if...

Duke's parents, for some reason, end up moving to the town that Flint is from and little Vinnie ends up attending Flint's high school and becomes a Falcon. And out of the rivalry, Duke starts calling Vince "Falcon" all the time.

Just a thought for fun. No need to pick it apart. ;)

Monkeywrench
12-29-2010, 06:05 PM
sounds believable

Troynos
12-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Moving along.. ;)

Fun theory. :)

Freedom
12-29-2010, 06:07 PM
sounds believable
It's as believable as Ripcord naming Tunnel Rat and Roadblock! lol

Trooper13
12-29-2010, 06:11 PM
As far as I'm concerned he's Falcon. If this show is supposed to last 5 seasons I don't see why we wouldn't get to see him graduate West Point later on in the series. Granted he wouldn't have enough time to graduate and become a green beret, but it's not like time flow in cartoons is exact anyhow. Who is to say how many years pass between S1 and the end?

WeaponXCustoms
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I hope this show gets to go that far. I really just want to see Duke on the right side of the law and Cobra on the right end of a las gun.

RolandofGilead
12-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I was sure he was Falcon as soon as he appeared on screen. It may take a while for future Joes like Vince and Jinx to be old enough to join the team, but the show's worth waiting for.

Best damned GI Joe show ever, and possibly one of my all time favorite cartoons.

SH0CKWAVE
12-29-2010, 06:20 PM
i thought the same thing about Vince/Falcon.

as soon as the lil bro was introduced, i thought Falcon.

interesting to see what happens with that... if anything.

skrapps
12-29-2010, 06:26 PM
so if cobra is proven to be evil by the end of this series.. the 2nd series can no longer be renegades right?

Shin Densetsu
12-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I was sure he was Falcon as soon as he appeared on screen. It may take a while for future Joes like Vince and Jinx to be old enough to join the team, but the show's worth waiting for.

Best damned GI Joe show ever, and possibly one of my all time favorite cartoons.

i thought the same thing about Vince/Falcon.

as soon as the lil bro was introduced, i thought Falcon.

interesting to see what happens with that... if anything.

Same here.

Bombardier
12-29-2010, 06:52 PM
so if cobra is proven to be evil by the end of this series.. the 2nd series can no longer be renegades right?

the 2nd series will be ARAH. This can just be a prequel to that 80s toon. So far, I think everything fits. Even with Ripcord dying, there can now be a white Ripcord in the future.

JohnnyAngel77
12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Even with Ripcord dying, there can now be a white Ripcord in the future.
YouTube - Ramones - The KKK Took My Baby Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT1OKo1rT84)

Colonel Bludd
12-29-2010, 07:38 PM
What happened in one joe universe doesn't have to happen in another. I don't see the kid as falcon. For all we know. Lt Falcon could be an all new character that becomes the dude that replaces flint in the pursuit of duke and gang.

samantha
12-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I really like this ideal. I also hope the show sticks around for a long while.

JoeMama
12-29-2010, 09:27 PM

agreed, whole heartedly.
never caught the falcon connection, but now that you say it, it is a clever bit of writing thrown in for the true believers.
like the show even more now.

mattymatt
12-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Or maybe he calls him falcon due to this
the military uses the phonetic alphabet
Bravo foxtrot stands for a buddy fornicator
troops often use the term blue falcon to stand for buddy fornicator
since vince turned duke in he really is a buddy fornicator and since blue falcon is a horrible code name flacon actually means that vince sucks

MeLikeJinx
12-30-2010, 01:23 AM
As far as I'm concerned he's Falcon. If this show is supposed to last 5 seasons I don't see why we wouldn't get to see him graduate West Point later on in the series. Granted he wouldn't have enough time to graduate and become a green beret, but it's not like time flow in cartoons is exact anyhow. Who is to say how many years pass between S1 and the end?
I don't think we will ever see Vincent become Falcon, but once he learns the truth about Cobra, I bet he enters the military somehow because he wants to then follows in his brother's footsteps.

fireflyguy
12-30-2010, 01:26 AM
This is an interesting theory, and totally plausible with the way that the Renegades show is going. I hope this toon lasts awhile, because I would like to see more development of some characters.

oliverbox
12-30-2010, 01:29 AM
It's a very plausible theory... regardless of the specifics, I do think he's going to be Falcon; it was certainly a nod to the movie - heck, Duke's parents were played by the original Duke and Scarlett. There's no way it was a coincidence.

I'm just a little confused about Flint.
In the show he's supposed to be a Lt. who went to West Point, but in the main titles, he's listed as a Warrant Officer - What's Up with that?

RogueReSCuE
12-30-2010, 01:38 AM
Falcon would be great! but too much time has to pass for him to be in it. He is what, 9-10 now?

tycondrius
12-30-2010, 02:17 AM
i was thinking the same thing but my theroy on back story was a lil darker.
I was thinking maybe one of cobra's opratives catch up with dukes family. one of his parents get killed in a botched rescue attempt. and lil bro vince joins the joes as he knows its the only way he'll get back at cobra. even tho he still doesn't forgive duke entirely for the loss of his loved one.hence and onscreen animosity between the two brothers.(kinda like in the movie) and he choses the name falcon as he knew it was the rival Team from they're home town. just to further annoy Duke.

KingBiohazerd
12-30-2010, 04:06 AM
I have to admit when I frist seen Dukes little bro I thought of Falcon. He's got the same color hair and all that I think the op is on to something for sure I really enjoy the show very much..

Sunbow_Joe84
12-30-2010, 04:23 AM
i was convinced by the neckercheif, lol.

Sgt Humpty
12-30-2010, 04:38 AM

They've stated that the Renegades tagline will be dropped after the first season. Please don't ask me to dig up the source - I read way too much of this stuff.

Or maybe he calls him falcon due to this
the military uses the phonetic alphabet
Bravo foxtrot stands for a buddy fornicator
troops often use the term blue falcon to stand for buddy fornicator
since vince turned duke in he really is a buddy fornicator and since blue falcon is a horrible code name flacon actually means that vince sucks

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Awesome!

Bombardier
12-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Falcon would be great! but too much time has to pass for him to be in it. He is what, 9-10 now?

seems more like 16-17 to me

oliverbox
12-30-2010, 08:52 PM
seems more like 16-17 to me

Agreed.

Wylde Weezle
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
I think when we first see him, Falcon is 12, not in high school yet while Duke is about to graduate. I think four years - enough time for Duke to make it from Private to Sergeant or E6 (and Flint to make it through West Point and get his officer's commission) have passed and Falcon is right around 16.

Steeler58
12-31-2010, 02:02 PM
I think Vince will become Falcon, Join Cobra, become addicted to Cobra drugs , befriend the headman, and get caught by the D.E.F.. LOL!

oliverbox
12-31-2010, 04:04 PM
I think when we first see him, Falcon is 12, not in high school yet while Duke is about to graduate. I think four years - enough time for Duke to make it from Private to Sergeant or E6 (and Flint to make it through West Point and get his officer's commission) have passed and Falcon is right around 16.

That's the way I understood it.
Although this whole thing about Flint being a LT is weird. The little "file cards" in the main titles still lists him as a Warrant Officer.

Trooper13
12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
That's the way I understood it.
Although this whole thing about Flint being a LT is weird. The little "file cards" in the main titles still lists him as a Warrant Officer.

It seems like an odd choice. I can see making Scarlet a butterbar, but making Flint even a 1st Lt. kind of diminishes him a bit. To me atleast.

Barefoot Jedi
12-31-2010, 05:44 PM
I can't believe nobody else pointed out that Falcon's name on his original filecard is Vincent R. Falcone.

He's obviously Falcon.

Just like "Private Skoog" was Tripwire.

Duke's commanding officer on that mission was Stalker.

I think there were a couple of others.

And speaking of Vincent R. Falcone, somebody should get this guy a carded Falcon as a present:
http://www.falconelaw.com/Attorneys/Vincent-R-Falcone.shtml

oliverbox
01-01-2011, 02:31 AM
It seems like an odd choice. I can see making Scarlet a butterbar, but making Flint even a 1st Lt. kind of diminishes him a bit. To me atleast.

All great Officers start somewhere...
And the idea that he's a West Point Grad/football player is pretty awesome, especially if they keep the Rhodes Scholar bit in the file card.
Those are some serious credentials.

Wylde Weezle
01-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Just like "Private Skoog" was Tripwire.

Duke's commanding officer on that mission was Stalker.

I think there were a couple of others.

Skoog/Tripwire! LOL I was wondering why that last name sounded familiar. And that incident...life-changing for Private Skoog as he decides to become an EOD type down the road.

As for Vincent becoming Falcon - if he's about 16 now and gets his commission in 6 years' time, by the time he joins the Joe team, Duke will have gone from the young sergeant we see now to become the grizzled vet "Top" we all know and love from ARAH.

I think Falcon came into the series about 5 years after the '82 ARAH kicked off...right on schedule, then. But in "Cartoon time," we'd probably all see this happen within 4 years ... or by the end of a third season ;D

samantha
01-01-2011, 03:33 AM
I like this theory.

Trooper13
01-01-2011, 09:50 AM
All great Officers start somewhere...
And the idea that he's a West Point Grad/football player is pretty awesome, especially if they keep the Rhodes Scholar bit in the file card.
Those are some serious credentials.

They are, and it's probably me holding on to the old Flint a bit. However, he always seemed SO squared away, but not in the political ass-kissing sense. Like he was just a real professional soldier. I always thought he was well cast as a WO.

Any WO I ever worked with was always very mission minded, and never got caught up in any of the BS that most of my officers did. They were the people who actually knew what it took to get the job done and you could go to if you needed to bounce ideas off of. None of our officers knew a thing about what we did on a practical level, or cared to. Their answer was to "look in the manual". Like you need a degree to think of that crap. Obviously there wouldn't be a problem if the manual had any sort of real world application. :/

I've only ever met one 1st Lt. who was worth a damn, and he took ALOT of work to get him there.

oliverbox
01-01-2011, 08:16 PM
They are, and it's probably me holding on to the old Flint a bit. However, he always seemed SO squared away, but not in the political ass-kissing sense. Like he was just a real professional soldier. I always thought he was well cast as a WO.

Any WO I ever worked with was always very mission minded, and never got caught up in any of the BS that most of my officers did. They were the people who actually knew what it took to get the job done and you could go to if you needed to bounce ideas off of. None of our officers knew a thing about what we did on a practical level, or cared to. Their answer was to "look in the manual". Like you need a degree to think of that crap. Obviously there wouldn't be a problem if the manual had any sort of real world application. :/

I've only ever met one 1st Lt. who was worth a damn, and he took ALOT of work to get him there.

Well, I'm sorry you had bad LTs. Often, they're a little over eager... but good Captains have to come from somewhere, and most of the time that means learning from their mistakes. All I'm saying is that Flint being an Officer now doesn't make him less tough.

Trooper13
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm sorry you had bad LTs. Often, they're a little over eager... but good Captains have to come from somewhere, and most of the time that means learning from their mistakes. All I'm saying is that Flint being an Officer now doesn't make him less tough.

Oh, not at all. I wasn't referring to his "toughness", but his overall outlook, and methodology, I guess.

Like I said, any WO I ever worked with knew their field inside and out, and were very sharp mentally. Having the mission first and foremost in their thoughts. Flint always struck me like that. A very intelligent soldier, who applied all his knowledge to the tasks at hand. Even if that thinking were "outside the box" in terms of military protocol, or what the manual said.

Most Officers I served under were more concerned with the progress they appeared to be making, and gaining favor in political spectrum of the chain of command, then simply getting the job done aswell and efficeintly as they could. Maybe I had bad luck, but I'd say it was more the rule then the exception with every unit I encountered.

The problem with the field I was in, at the time I was in at, is that it was rapidly and constantly evolving. If you didn't stay ahead of the game, and really stay in the know, you got left behind. Much of what we accomplished was done by applying what we knew, and modifying the equipment we had to complete the tasks. Officers who worked out of the manual were, for the most part, useless. You'd ask then to submit reqs for equipment, supplies, or just advice, and you'd get shrugs, and stonewalls. It was frustrating to say the least.

oliverbox
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Oh, not at all. I wasn't referring to his "toughness", but his overall outlook, and methodology, I guess.

Like I said, any WO I ever worked with knew their field inside and out, and were very sharp mentally. Having the mission first and foremost in their thoughts. Flint always struck me like that. A very intelligent soldier, who applied all his knowledge to the tasks at hand. Even if that thinking were "outside the box" in terms of military protocol, or what the manual said.

Most Officers I served under were more concerned with the progress they appeared to be making, and gaining favor in political spectrum of the chain of command, then simply getting the job done aswell and efficeintly as they could. Maybe I had bad luck, but I'd say it was more the rule then the exception with every unit I encountered.

The problem with the field I was in, at the time I was in at, is that it was rapidly and constantly evolving. If you didn't stay ahead of the game, and really stay in the know, you got left behind. Much of what we accomplished was done by applying what we knew, and modifying the equipment we had to complete the tasks. Officers who worked out of the manual were, for the most part, useless. You'd ask then to submit reqs for equipment, supplies, or just advice, and you'd get shrugs, and stonewalls. It was frustrating to say the least.

Well, there's no arguing with experience. And every WO I ever knew was great.
As a former Officer, may I offer one observation:
It seems that your MOS was pretty technically oriented, and rightly so. If you're dealing with encrytion and comm equipment, that's pretty technical... And WO's are "technical experts". It's their job to know that stuff inside and out. They're former NCO's, so they've had time to learn the ropes, and only the ones who are really good get selected for WO... so theirs a pretty good weedout process.

A young LT (and I'm guessing your LTs were either Intel or Signal) doesn't get technical training. He's told to manage his unit, and use his WO's and NCO's to accomplish the mission. Officers are managers; they're really not supposed to be technical experts.

I was a Chaplain, so my work was different. My father, however, was a career Transportation Officer - it was the same for him. He managed the unit, and tried to get as many vehicles fixed as possible because he's under preassure from his CO to keep the larger element "Mission Capable" by having as many vehicles "UP" as possible. And though my Dad certainly worked with the guys, it was the WO's and NCO who were the expert mechanics. Dad just checked in with his experts to accomplish his mission.

Combat Officers are different, but a lot of technical branchs work like that. Just my two cents.

So, Flint, as a Combat/SF Officer would be different.

Trooper13
01-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Well, there's no arguing with experience. And every WO I ever knew was great.
As a former Officer, may I offer one observation:
It seems that your MOS was pretty technically oriented, and rightly so. If you're dealing with encrytion and comm equipment, that's pretty technical... And WO's are "technical experts". It's their job to know that stuff inside and out. They're former NCO's, so they've had time to learn the ropes, and only the ones who are really good get selected for WO... so theirs a pretty good weedout process.

A young LT (and I'm guessing your LTs were either Intel or Signal) doesn't get technical training. He's told to manage his unit, and use his WO's and NCO's to accomplish the mission. Officers are managers; they're really not supposed to be technical experts.

I was a Chaplain, so my work was different. My father, however, was a career Transportation Officer - it was the same for him. He managed the unit, and tried to get as many vehicles fixed as possible because he's under preassure from his CO to keep the larger element "Mission Capable" by having as many vehicles "UP" as possible. And though my Dad certainly worked with the guys, it was the WO's and NCO who were the expert mechanics. Dad just checked in with his experts to accomplish his mission.

Combat Officers are different, but a lot of technical branchs work like that. Just my two cents.

So, Flint, as a Combat/SF Officer would be different.

Yeah, now that I'm older I understand an Officer's pressures and goals are much different. Even at the CO level, it's got to be a real pain to wrangle a penny out of Battalion. Especially in the field I was in where most of what you were asking them to get made them look at you like you were from Mars. I get it, now. Back then it sure was maddening, though. While we did have some Officers who did seem to genuinely want to help, there were definitely just as many who viewed a tactical telecomm unit as almost a punishment, or a short straw. I'm sure they were hoping to land an hitch at the Pentagon, or some other cushy fixed station assignment. I'm sure kicking around the desert with a bunch of wise-assed grubby lower enlisted guys trying to rewire vans leftover from the Vietnam era wasn't what they had in mind. Thanks for making me feel bad for giving them hell. ;)

oliverbox
01-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah, now that I'm older I understand an Officer's pressures and goals are much different. Even at the CO level, it's got to be a real pain to wrangle a penny out of Battalion. Especially in the field I was in where most of what you were asking them to get made them look at you like you were from Mars. I get it, now. Back then it sure was maddening, though. While we did have some Officers who did seem to genuinely want to help, there were definitely just as many who viewed a tactical telecomm unit as almost a punishment, or a short straw. I'm sure they were hoping to land an hitch at the Pentagon, or some other cushy fixed station assignment. I'm sure kicking around the desert with a bunch of wise-assed grubby lower enlisted guys trying to rewire vans leftover from the Vietnam era wasn't what they had in mind. Thanks for making me feel bad for giving them hell. ;)

The Officer Corps has to look out for each other ;)

G.I. Jennster
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM

i don't belive falcon came from westpoint. as big of an idiot as he was in the movie anyway... i think he was an ocs canidate

Freedom
01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
i don't belive falcon came from westpoint. as big of an idiot as he was in the movie anyway... i think he was an ocs canidate
You can't base your definitive version of a G.I.Joe character on the Sunbow cartoon. They took several Joes, like Falcon, Shipwreck, and Bazooka, and made them the opposite of their File Cards for comedic or dramatic purposes.

G.I. Jennster
01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
You can't base your definitive version of a G.I.Joe character on the Sunbow cartoon. They took several Joes, like Falcon, Shipwreck, and Bazooka, and made them the opposite of their File Cards for comedic or dramatic purposes.

true dat.

Trooper13
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM

The old Falcon has nothing to do with this Falcon. Flint is an officer, instead of a WO this time around. Since Flint has been through West Point, and he did Duke a favor, he may extend that courtesy to Falcon and write him a recommendation.