PDA

View Full Version : Renegades Appreciation Thread

JoeMama
12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Dudes... I am really liking this show.
It's awesome.
I like the idea of Cobra being out in the mainstream, the way they should be.
I like the character development, sans episode 1 codename assignment.
I like the Arashikage angle.
I like the tech, the costumes, the storylines, the christmas episode, and the 'renegades / A-team' plot angle.
It's awesome.
Fresh, exciting.
The rivalry between Flint / Duke is great; I like the history flashbacks, making both characters seem human.
Great.
What are your thoughts?
Like where this is going ?

Lifeline 71
12-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm definitely liking it. It could even be used as a prequel of sorts to the original series, although it doesn't "fit" perfectly. The character development is great, and the homages to the Sunbow cartoon and the Marvel comic are nice touches.

Zefram
12-28-2010, 07:42 AM
For the record, I don't believe we need an appreciation thread anymore than a disappointing thread, but whatever.

The thing I'm liking most is the dynamic character growth. Flint was well on his way to being the butt-monkey for the series, but already we're seeing signs that he's starting to question his initial assumptions. Duke and Scarlet still snipe at each-other, and flat-out butt-heads at other times, but they seem to be slowly getting used to each-other.

The Joes are finally characters, rather than arch-types.

joems
12-28-2010, 08:43 AM
as for me storyline is good. i just hope they can do a bit better on the cartoons, but that's just me.

fireflyguy
12-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I look forward to each new episode.

Adamantite
12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I was very surprised when Vinnie complains to Duke that he is being harassed and bullied because of the stuff about Duke on the news. I hadn't thought of that... I like how the actions of these characters carry consequences. To me that's just good writing.

minitrue
12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Episode 7 was great. I love the dynamics between flint and duke. Perfect storytelling.

Unclassified
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
i dig it..

Zefram
12-28-2010, 06:13 PM
I was very surprised when Vinnie complains to Duke that he is being harassed and bullied because of the stuff about Duke on the news. I hadn't thought of that... I like how the actions of these characters carry consequences. To me that's just good writing.

^^^ This.

Hopefully we'll see some of the other team-members families and how they're coping at some point down the line.

Beckley
12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
It's not the GI Joe I grew up with, so it sucks!

Actually I love Renegades, best Joe animation ever imho.

Monkeywrench
12-28-2010, 06:22 PM
The show has been awesome so far

JoeMama
12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
man, I'm gonna' get blasted for this, but I like it better than the original ARAH animation.
It's really well written, well animated, and pretty decent to wrap kids into the world of joes.
This is absolutely the vehicle we need to get and keep kids interested in Joe, so it creates more demand and we get more product.
I'm lovin' it.

mattymatt
12-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I like it i wonder if they are going to ever stop running from cobra in the coyote and set up a base of operations somewhere idk maybe a tunnel network under an army base called ft wadsworth in ny lol

Saboteur
12-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Still waiting for Hector Ramirez!

Troynos
12-28-2010, 07:01 PM
man, I'm gonna' get blasted for this, but I like it better than the original ARAH animation.
It's really well written, well animated, and pretty decent to wrap kids into the world of joes.
This is absolutely the vehicle we need to get and keep kids interested in Joe, so it creates more demand and we get more product.
I'm lovin' it.

^ This except I'm more " really likin' it". As an adult is definately better then Sunbow, which has not aged well at all. I think kid me would like it better to.

The ninja episode knocked it down a bit IMO, but Homecoming more then made up for it.

John_0515
12-28-2010, 07:07 PM
For the record, I don't believe we need an appreciation thread anymore than a disappointing thread, but whatever.

The thing I'm liking most is the dynamic character growth. Flint was well on his way to being the butt-monkey for the series, but already we're seeing signs that he's starting to question his initial assumptions. Duke and Scarlet still snipe at each-other, and flat-out butt-heads at other times, but they seem to be slowly getting used to each-other.

The Joes are finally characters, rather than arch-types.

+1. Great post.

Wylde Weezle
12-29-2010, 02:46 AM
Wow, it's like Hasbro realized the audience for GI Joe isn't all kids. Smart move to put effort into a cartoon series that won't be so embarrassing to watch 25 years later.
After Spy Troops, Valor Vs Venom and Sigma 6 I was genuinely worried and wondering if I'd ever be a fan of new GI Joe entertainment and toys.
The show has a good pace, we've gotten to see 10 members of the Joe team, Jinx, Duke's brother, five of the Cobra rogues gallery in just 7 episodes.

MeLikeJinx
12-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm waiting to see what direction the show takes after they stop being renegade fugitives and start going on the offensive against Cobra. I'm ready for them to have like a base to call home and launch offensives from and for them to have a clearly defined hierarchy of some sort and A LOT more members on the Joe Team.

So far so good though.

helrod
12-29-2010, 03:46 AM
I have no complaints.
As long as it follows its natural progression .
by the second season they should have cleared their names and Cobra should be more prominent as a military group, maybe succeed from the U.S. and start up Cobra Island.
And The Joe team can start to form.
[I]f this would be done I could see the show lasting a long time,
The A-team angle has a pretty limited life span and will become stagnate fast.
AND IT'S BAD FOR TOYS HASBRO!
if it steps up and moves forward with the story then there are so many toys to be sold from new Joe and Cobra figures to vehicles and play sets.

ultramax
12-29-2010, 04:14 AM
greatest episodic joe animated series EVER!

ultramax
12-29-2010, 04:15 AM
also, where them toys at already??????

us joe nerds are getting major blue balls, just preview pics will suffice for now, so we can debate it for months before we get it...

Sgt Humpty
12-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Sadly, we don't get The Hub at our house, so every Saturday, my two kids (ages 6 and 7) join me in front of the computer to watch it. Funniest thing they've said yet was during the first episode:

Son: Dad, who's that guy?
Me: That's Duke.
Son: Ummm... Dad, that is NOT Duke.

I laughed my ass off because I thought of all the haters who have said the same thing. This show is probably not going to replace the ARAH Joes as my all-time favorites, but it is solidly written and keeps all three of us coming back for more.

Trooper13
12-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm lovin' it.

You won't get blasted by me. I agree 100%. To me, this is the best Joe we've gotten.

Troynos
12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
also, where them toys at already??????

us joe nerds are getting major blue balls, just preview pics will suffice for now, so we can debate it for months before we get it...

We'll probably see stuff come Toyfair in February.

siamese goat
12-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I like the new show better than some of the past shows like sigma. Good flow and development, nothing seems rushed or you have to know the past to get into the new.

Thank you to whoever is putting the show up on youtube. I am to cheap to up my cable for 1 channel :).

JoeMama
12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm waiting to see what direction the show takes after they stop being renegade fugitives and start going on the offensive against Cobra. I'm ready for them to have like a base to call home and launch offensives from and for them to have a clearly defined hierarchy of some sort and A LOT more members on the Joe Team.

So far so good though.

so what's the consensus, do we think they will clear their names at all, or do they stay right on the edge of doing so, so that the show doesn't have to rename itself?

Trooper13
12-29-2010, 08:33 PM
so what's the consensus, do we think they will clear their names at all, or do they stay right on the edge of doing so, so that the show doesn't have to rename itself?

I think they will clear their names, and the "Renegades" will disappear. What it becomes after that, if anything but just "G.I. Joe" I couldn't hazard a guess to.

Kungfuguy
12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I like it. I miss the hardware fetish of rah though. They need to kick it up a notch. Without a huge toy line to promote, the writers are doing what they do best: write.

I wonder how the kids are reacting to it? How does it compare to Clone Wars?

The quality of the animation takes time to warm to. At least it's not the slide show pan and scan technique used by cheap anime. The character design is ugly in a beautiful way. They aren't pretty in the classical sense. In fact, it sorta looks like the Men in Black toon.

JoeMama
12-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I like it. I miss the hardware fetish of rah though. They need to kick it up a notch. Without a huge toy line to promote, the writers are doing what they do best: write.

I wonder how the kids are reacting to it? How does it compare to Clone Wars?

The quality of the animation takes time to warm to. At least it's not the slide show pan and scan technique used by cheap anime. The character design is ugly in a beautiful way. They aren't pretty in the classical sense. In fact, it sorta looks like the Men in Black toon.

totally fine w/ the animation.
loving the plot & storyarc.
Can completely buy-in to this joeverse.
The greatest thing this storyline could do is to have killed off Ripcord.
Leave him dead.
Or...
Bring him back.. as Overkill.

MeLikeJinx
12-30-2010, 12:20 AM
IDK... but I hope they are not on the run for the entire first season. LOL. Flint needs to hurry up and get with the program. And as much as I loved Duke's backstory episodes... I hope they don't do that for all the Renegades... especially Tunnel Rat's... what was it? Noodle shop backstory? LOL.

MFJayman
12-30-2010, 05:04 AM
I think they will clear their names, and the "Renegades" will disappear. What it becomes after that, if anything but just "G.I. Joe" I couldn't hazard a guess to.

IDK... but I hope they are not on the run for the entire first season. LOL. Flint needs to hurry up and get with the program. And as much as I loved Duke's backstory episodes... I hope they don't do that for all the Renegades... especially Tunnel Rat's... what was it? Noodle shop backstory? LOL.

Okay, this is what I was thinking or hoping to see by the end of Season 1:

A back-to-back two episode (or more!) finale, the big battle, Team Duke finally cornered by both Cobra and Team Flint (backed by plenty of greenshirts and secondary Joes). Team Duke, just in time, has rallied support from many secondary characters met along the way, i.e Jinx, Breaker, etc etc etc…Team Flint has strong evidence against Cobra, but still uncertain, has to choose: aide Cobra or Team Duke. Massive Cobra onslaught (vehicles and troopers galor), Team Flint joins Team Duke in a sudden switch, but Cobra still wins. Joes are scattered, much of Team Duke captured, remaining Joes must reunite and free captured Joes and continue the fight against Cobra.

And so, for season 2, Teams Duke and Flint are now one, but scattered or captured. There are many many Joe characters now, but they must rally and rebound.

And so, Cobra manages to maintain its facade and public image, but it now has a much bigger, and more disperse, problem than just a single small team of renegade Joes.

MFJayman
12-30-2010, 05:11 AM
So anyway, I think the show is great, and the last 2 episodes were the best yet. It's really fired up my imagination again about a franchise I have a long and fun history with. I hope it does the same for kids.

spike78a
12-30-2010, 05:57 AM
tunnel rat makes me laugh.