PDA

View Full Version : Flaw in ne Cobra Whirlwind gun directions :(

esg2145
12-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Put together my new Cobra Whirlwind gun this AM, only to discover a slight flaw in the assembly instructions.

When you go from step one to step two, you need to put the console of the gun into the front shield assembly BEFORE you mount it onto the top part of the swiveling base assembly, AND also install the seat too. :( The instructions do NOT show this.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/esg94045/joe%20stuff/scan0002.jpg

This isn't too hard to figure out, but can be a bit confusing if you're not familiar w/ this particular toy from the ARAH era. Also, the wheels and knuckles already come mounted on the lower base as show in picture # 1, don't know why they listed it as a step instead of the above mentioned procedures ?

HTH

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/esg94045/joe%20stuff/IMG_1449.jpg

vadersquest
12-25-2010, 05:11 PM
As an original ARAH guy, I need no instructions...lol
I can build a Flagg from memory and everything else from 82-89.

the odinson
12-25-2010, 05:27 PM

geez, i can't remember how to transform transformers i got six months ago.

PRev
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
I dont remember the front shield falling off so easy on my ARAH one. This one pops off at the least little thing.

Monk
12-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I just put mine together and I didn't notice until now, but i can see how it could be a bit confusing. What bugs me is that Mr. Range Viper doesn't really fit that well in the seat.

niknak96
12-25-2010, 05:56 PM
I dont remember the front shield falling off so easy on my ARAH one. This one pops off at the least little thing.

I noticed that too. Once my kids got a hold of it, well, the whole thing fell apart.

turner
12-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Same deal on the flight pod. If you put it together and then try to put the bubble on last (like in the instructions) it would be difficult. Bubble needs to go on before the chair is pushed into place.

OSOK
12-25-2010, 08:33 PM
damn man, i couldnt tell you what i did yesterday

esg2145
12-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I just put mine together and I didn't notice until now, but i can see how it could be a bit confusing. What bugs me is that Mr. Range Viper doesn't really fit that well in the seat.

Neither did the Sarge when I put him in it :(

Probably b/c 25th figs are taller than ARAH ones (??). Plus the Sarge's (Benchpress's really :) belt pouches wouldn't let him sit all the way properly.

Steelgrave
12-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Is there a reason why everybody refuses to call this thing the "Cobra Jungle Terror gun"?

I mean nobody calls the Stinger a Vamp right?

cobracobra
12-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I am sure those drawings are from 1983.

Shin-Gouki
12-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Old habbits die hard. The Stinted was not a straight repiant of the vamp and it was made 25 years ago. This is a straight repaint and a bit revisionist and as a result there are those that fall back on it's real name, just like the Wolfhound is the Snow Cat and the Fury is really the rage. Call it what you want Hasbro, we'll keep correcting you.

Steelgrave
12-25-2010, 09:36 PM
just like the Wolfhound is the Snow Cat and the Fury is really the rage. Call it what you want Hasbro, we'll keep correcting you.

The Wolfhound is still a GI Joe vehicle & the Fury is still a Cobra vehicle so the name changes don't make sense. But the Jungle Terror changed from a Joe weapon to a Cobra weapon so the name change makes sense. IMO

A.V.A.C.
12-25-2010, 09:40 PM

indeed!

instructions, i don't need no stinking instructions! thanks for tip though, some peeps are not vehically inclined.

esg2145
12-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Is there a reason why everybody refuses to call this thing the "Cobra Jungle Terror gun"?

B/c at this point if you say, "Cobra Jungle Terror gun" pretty much no one knows what you are talking about, considering it was discontinued also.

Say "Cobra Whirlwind Gun" and EVERYONE knows what you are talking about.

The Stinger has been around almost as along as the VAMP, everyone recognizes it's name.

esg2145
12-25-2010, 10:02 PM
indeed!

instructions, i don't need no stinking instructions! thanks for tip though, some peeps are not vehically inclined.

I've got a degree in automotive technology from GM, trust me, I could figure it out :) I just didn't like the way they were laid out, plus skipping the step just bothered me. :(

I DON'T think these are the original drawings from the 80's.

Steelgrave
12-25-2010, 10:03 PM
B/c at this point if you say, "Cobra Jungle Terror gun" pretty much no one knows what you are talking about, considering it was discontinued also.

Say "Cobra Whirlwind Gun" and EVERYONE knows what you are talking about.

They must unlearn what they have learned!

Tomahawk
12-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Interesting

holyfrog
12-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Because "Coba Jungle Terror Gun" is the dumbest name ever and I think my IQ droped reading it. It sounds like a bad translation.

Atreides
12-26-2010, 12:09 AM
On a side note I found it easier to add stickers before assembly. Particularly on the piece below the grips

A.V.A.C.
12-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I've got a degree in automotive technology from GM, trust me, I could figure it out :) I just didn't like the way they were laid out, plus skipping the step just bothered me. :(

I DON'T think these are the original drawings from the 80's.

i hear you, i was mostly joking. i work with complicated blue prints at work all day with very little detail sometimes or close ups or proper elevation translations. this doesn't seem to bother me. however, give me store bought items like a closet rod, joe vech, or door knob instructions and i usually do the stereotypical male thing and toss them aside and dive in.

i recently got a few defiant boosters to put together from scratch. i already had one and the instructions, they did me no good, because a lot of the stuff when bought new was already assembled. i had to unscrew it together at least 3 times before i got the order of assembly down. all that before the instructions even started. instinct and trial and error sometimes win the day i guess. hopefully, before anything breaks. :)

Hicks_Royel
12-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Because "Coba Jungle Terror Gun" is the dumbest name ever and I think my IQ droped reading it. It sounds like a bad translation.
Yes.
On a side note I found it easier to add stickers before assembly. Particularly on the piece below the grips
Also true.
They must unlearn what they have learned!
But if we learn to unlearn, have we learned at all?

I won't be using my green Range Vipers to man the cannons because they're too cool to have stuck behind a big gun and their knees bend awkwardly. Maybe some of the other figures fit better.

Magick
12-26-2010, 01:55 AM

If you turn the belt on the range viper around he will fit just fine. ; )

gishmoe
12-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Hasbro instructions are always more confusing than helpful. If anybody bought a Transformer, you'll know.

Zefram
12-26-2010, 02:02 AM
You guys used the instructions?

Unclassified
12-26-2010, 07:52 AM
i hope i find these so i can see the flaw in the directions..

esg2145
12-26-2010, 07:56 AM
..................I won't be using my green Range Vipers to man the cannons because they're too cool to have stuck behind a big gun and their knees bend awkwardly. Maybe some of the other figures fit better.

BTW, I am NOT using my green Range Viper and am willing to either sell or trade him if anybody needs him. I am adding him to my BST list that is linked below.

HTH

Shin-Gouki
12-26-2010, 12:11 PM
The Wolfhound is still a GI Joe vehicle & the Fury is still a Cobra vehicle so the name changes don't make sense. But the Jungle Terror changed from a Joe weapon to a Cobra weapon so the name change makes sense. IMO

A lot of people are not using it as a Cobra weapon either. I have 3 and 1 will be a Cobra AA Gun, one will be repainted into the ARAH Whirlwind, and the 3rd is going to be a Night Force Whirlwind

the odinson
12-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Hasbro instructions are always more confusing than helpful. If anybody bought a Transformer, you'll know.

agreed, but i'm not sure i would've been able to transform the masterpiece stuff at all w/o instructions, as unclear as they were in parts.

esg2145
12-26-2010, 01:19 PM
A lot of people are not using it as a Cobra weapon either. I have 3 and 1 will be a Cobra AA Gun, one will be repainted into the ARAH Whirlwind, and the 3rd is going to be a Night Force Whirlwind

First thing I did was pull off all the factory installed Cobra stickers on mine, as I knew I wanted to use it for my Joes from the get go, plus I was not sure if I could get a good vintage ARAH one or not.

Love the sliver rims on the new one though :)

straightedge
12-26-2010, 02:09 PM
I won't be using my green Range Vipers to man the cannons because they're too cool to have stuck behind a big gun and their knees bend awkwardly. Maybe some of the other figures fit better.

I'm gonna be using the "Stinger Commander" figure that came with the 25th jeep... the webgear from the Bazooka soldier and the netted helmet make him look better suited to be outside a vehicle, with his chest protected by a big armored panel (considering how many rounds of explosive ammunition he's hefting on his manly pecs). He'll look better as a "Stinger Gunner" than Commander anyways. And 6 of these things (Cobra Twin Guns sound nice and simple to me), will look boss being slung behind my Jeep column.

esg2145
12-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I just went and looked at the '83 directions, and they are no better than the new one's. :(

YOJOE.COM | Twin Battle Gun Whirlwind (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/whirlwind/whirlwind_instructions.shtml)

Hicks_Royel
12-26-2010, 05:48 PM
You know, I have to agree, the directions had to be all wrong since these things wound up at Ross stores instead of Targets nationwide.

I'm gonna be using the "Stinger Commander" figure that came with the 25th jeep... the webgear from the Bazooka soldier and the netted helmet make him look better suited to be outside a vehicle, with his chest protected by a big armored panel (considering how many rounds of explosive ammunition he's hefting on his manly pecs). He'll look better as a "Stinger Gunner" than Commander anyways. And 6 of these things (Cobra Twin Guns sound nice and simple to me), will look boss being slung behind my Jeep column.

That's not a bad idea... Not a bad idea at all.