PDA

View Full Version : G.I.JOE 1986 movie on blu-ray

Ronnie Dobbs
12-22-2010, 04:07 AM
I just watched it with commentary, and wow! I love it! I love hearing the possible directions they were gonna go in with the show, and certain characters. I absolutely would have loved to have seen "The most dangerous man in the world" It's a shame that idea got scrapped.

It's amazing the surgery the writers had to do with Hasbro's requests, and demands. I am totally in discussion mode for this. Anyone down?

Ronnie Dobbs
12-22-2010, 05:05 AM
Has anyone else seen it with the commentary?

The Commander
12-22-2010, 07:27 AM
I've been wanting this blu-ray for that very reason

Shogi
12-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm gonna assume the DVD commentary is the same as the BluRay's. So discussion mode activated:

I was surprised to find out the whole Pythona vs Jinx fight was inspired by a soap opera. Also funny that all the renegades were based on wrestlers and such

Sunbow_Joe84
12-22-2010, 08:47 AM
yeah i loved the dead duke speech. but it would've been great if hasbro gave the writers a little more freedom.

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I'm gonna assume the DVD commentary is the same as the BluRay's. So discussion mode activated:

I was surprised to find out the whole Pythona vs Jinx fight was inspired by a soap opera. Also funny that all the renegades were based on wrestlers and such

Yes it's the same.
I know that cracked me up. They were based off of Dolph Lundgren, Jimmy Superfly Snuuka, and the bald one was based off of the Iron Sheik. ha ha!

I can't believe that Hasbro liked the name Cobra-La. They should've let the writers have more freedom.

I'm glad they didn't make Falcon, Hawk's son. They were gonna call him Baby Hawk....wtf?

vapor
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
i need to buy this.

Zarana
12-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I for one wish more charecters had magically appearing bathing suits.

c'mon monkeywrench in a speedo.

monkeywrench1988
12-23-2010, 12:32 AM
so who was who? I'm going to assume that Mercer was Lundgren at least, not a clue as to the other two though

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 12:43 AM
I for one wish more charecters had magically appearing bathing suits.

c'mon monkeywrench in a speedo.

lol
*pukes*

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 12:46 AM
so who was who? I'm going to assume that Mercer was Lundgren at least, not a clue as to the other two though

Yep. Mercer was Lundgren

Red Dog was Jimmy Snooka

Taurus was the Iron Sheik

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 12:50 AM
It bums me out that in the cartoon Cobra Commander was never once a man. He was never a part of the Human race. Instead they made him a blue skinned alien. And on top of that he's 40,000 years old. What a let down.

Zarana
12-23-2010, 12:54 AM
That kind of was the central problem with Cobra Commander. He wears a mask and there needs to be a big pay off when we see who is underneath. I don't think anyone ever really has come up with a good enough person under the hood. and the alien was not the worst. it was better than that kid for 3rd Rock from the sun.

monkeywrench1988
12-23-2010, 12:54 AM
that makes Mercer that much more awesome

Bombardier
12-23-2010, 12:57 AM
It bums me out that in the cartoon Cobra Commander was never once a man. He was never a part of the Human race. Instead they made him a blue skinned alien. And on top of that he's 40,000 years old. What a let down.

he's from Earth, his whole species evolved on Earth. he's not an alien.

errantentertainment
12-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Honestly, I think this idea is much better than a disgruntled door to door sales man turned "master" strategist, leader of terrorist group. It just makes no sense that a salesman could do that and have so much influence and resources. Cobra would never have had laster guns or flight pods. They'd have been fighting the advanced G.I. Joe force with cheap sub machine guns and Vietnam era jeeps. LOL

Of course, on the flipside, had Cobra Commander been a 40,000 year old alien since the first season I think Cobras weaponry wouldn't have been organic from the get-go given that he was supposedly always backed by Golobulous.

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 01:07 AM
he's from Earth, his whole species evolved on Earth. he's not an alien.

You're right, not an alien. But definitely not a man either. Not even human.

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Honestly, I think this idea is much better than a disgruntled door to door sales man turned "master" strategist, leader of terrorist group. It just makes no sense that a salesman could do that and have so much influence and resources. Cobra would never have had laster guns or flight pods. They'd have been fighting the advanced G.I. Joe force with cheap sub machine guns and Vietnam era jeeps. LOL

Of course, on the flipside, had Cobra Commander been a 40,000 year old alien since the first season I think Cobras weaponry wouldn't have been organic from the get-go given that he was supposedly always backed by Golobulous.

I thought Destro was the reason they have all the wonderful weapons and toys. He's was an arms dealer, remember?

JR0d28
12-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Well Season 1 had machines that looked odd or acted on nature.
Spiderlike robot in 1st mini-series
2nd Creeper Vines
3rd Fatal Fluffies
Animal Control Device
The Germ
etc, etc, etc

LEADING TO COBRAS NO 1 PROJECT
SERPENTOR

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 01:12 AM
2nd Creeper Vines
3rd Fatal Fluffies
Animal Control Device
The Germ
etc, etc, etc

SERPENTOR

I personally have a hard time linking those season 1 machines, and such to Cobra-la.

JR0d28
12-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I personally have a hard time linking those season 1 machines, and such to Cobra-la.

Well he had to act and blend in as a human....well in his case a masked lunatic. I am sure he prob used cobra-la ideas and mixed with conventional weapons so it would not look too suspicious that he was not an ordinary man. Only person who knew his true face was prob Destro in where joes make a movie.

SmokedPorter
12-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Love the name "Granny's Bodyhouse"...

errantentertainment
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah, almost forgot about him. :)

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Well he had to act and blend in as a human....well in his case a masked lunatic. I am sure he prob used cobra-la ideas and mixed with conventional weapons so it would not look too suspicious that he was not an ordinary man. Only person who knew his true face was prob Destro in where joes make a movie.

But those weapons and such that you speak of weren't his creations. Sorry I know you are trying to make sense out of it, but I just don't buy it. Not your fault. Ha ha! He was originally intended to be a Human, and the movie came along and changed everything.

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Love the name "Granny's Bodyhouse"...

Indeed! Ha ha! You can hear in Buzz Dixon's voice how much he hates the name Cobra-la.

I cannot get the sound out of my head of when Serpentor yells COBRA-LA LA LA LA LA LA!!

It fucking haunts my dreams

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 02:30 PM
When Pythona breaks into the HQ at the beginning. Dixon says that the scene where she goes through all the reinforced doors was stolen from Star Wars, and Indiana Jones. Then he goes on to say that Lucas stole some stuff from the Joe movie, and put in his star wars flicks. Now he's obviously talking about episodes 1-3. But I cannot for the life of me figure out any concepts from the Joe movie that resemble anything from the Star Wars prequels.

Can any of you?

Bombardier
12-23-2010, 02:36 PM
But those weapons and such that you speak of weren't his creations. Sorry I know you are trying to make sense out of it, but I just don't buy it. Not your fault. Ha ha! He was originally intended to be a Human, and the movie came along and changed everything.

CC could have influenced Destro or Mindbender into the right path to "invent" some of that stuff. The vines especially.

Ronnie Dobbs
12-23-2010, 02:46 PM
CC could have influenced Destro or Mindbender into the right path to "invent" some of that stuff. The vines especially.

Ha ha! I love your tenacity. :D

Ronnie Dobbs
12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Interesting stuff. So apparently Larry Hama made all the Dreadnoks Australians, because when he was in the military he had some bad experiences with Australian soldiers.

miscreant
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
it was better than that kid for 3rd Rock from the sun.

Levitt is a fine actor.. but it wasn't the best casting choice.

Ronnie Dobbs
01-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Levitt is a fine actor.. but it wasn't the best casting choice.

Anyone could have played the Commander in the live movie.

Ronnie Dobbs
01-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I never watched the DIC Joe series after the movie. Can anyone tell me if they incorporated stuff from the movie, into the show, or did they just scrap all the movie ideas?

King Kahn
01-02-2011, 04:29 AM
I never watched the DIC Joe series after the movie. Can anyone tell me if they incorporated stuff from the movie, into the show, or did they just scrap all the movie ideas?

the dic series picks up fairly soon after the movie.

Bombardier
01-02-2011, 10:56 AM

Baroness needs to untransform Cobra Commander from a snake back into a "man".

And Cobra Commander gets his revenge on Serpentor. That's about the only connection.

Ronnie Dobbs
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Baroness needs to untransform Cobra Commander from a snake back into a "man".

And Cobra Commander gets his revenge on Serpentor. That's about the only connection.

Thanks. BTW My post that said I love your tenacity, was meant to go to JR0D28...not you. Sorry bout that.

So when the Commander reverts back to his former self, does he look all blue and human like again, or is he still a walking snake?

Bombardier
01-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks. BTW My post that said I love your tenacity, was meant to go to JR0D28...not you. Sorry bout that.

So when the Commander reverts back to his former self, does he look all blue and human like again, or is he still a walking snake?

like a cross between. Snake face, yellow and brown serpent like body. I don't remember if he still had the 20 eyeballs or not, but I don't think so.

Gundamben831
01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
how much is the blu-ray of gi joe and how good is the transfer quality? because I still have my dvd and was very curious about this one.

Bombardier
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
here's a bad picture of him, he's still naked at this point. And strong as hell since he's picking up Gnawgahyde with one arm.

http://www.joeheadquarters.com/tn/dic/dic9.jpg

Viper Commando
01-02-2011, 05:24 PM
how much is the blu-ray of gi joe and how good is the transfer quality? because I still have my dvd and was very curious about this one.

$15.49 on Amazon.

As for the transfer, I think it's pretty good, considering it's a 20+ year old animated film. You didn't mention wihch DVD version you have. If it's the Rhino version, then I would recommend getting the blu-ray/dvd combo pack.

Gundamben831
01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
$15.49 on Amazon.

As for the transfer, I think it's pretty good, considering it's a 20+ year old animated film. You didn't mention wihch DVD version you have. If it's the Rhino version, then I would recommend getting the blu-ray/dvd combo pack.

yeah I have the kid rhino version still a great dvd, but that is good to know that it is cheap on amazon. sometimes I just put it on to watch the intro lol ".... over land sea or air, GI JOE will be there!!!"

Ronnie Dobbs
01-02-2011, 06:29 PM

The transfer is great! Wathcing it in HD looks fantastic! You should definitely pick it up. It's worth it for the commentary in my opinion.

Ronnie Dobbs
01-30-2011, 02:42 AM
I just noticed a goof in what Buzz Dixon says in the commentary. In the opening title shots, he says the short part where you see Major Bludd, is his only appearance in the whole movie.

But if you notice in the beginning scene when Cobra Commander is getting chewed out by Serpentor, and the rest of the Cobras for being a poor leader. Sure enough.....there is Major Bludd standing right there in the background. Just an observation. CC(

Black Swan
01-30-2011, 03:12 AM
I just noticed a goof in what Buzz Dixon says in the commentary. In the opening title shots, he says the short part where you see Major Bludd, is his only appearance in the whole movie.

But if you notice in the beginning scene when Cobra Commander is getting chewed out by Serpentor, and the rest of the Cobras for being a poor leader. Sure enough.....there is Major Bludd standing right there in the background. Just an observation. CC(
Nice observation. I did think it was weird on the commentary for Buzz Dixon to single out Maj. Bludd.

takedown
01-30-2011, 04:58 AM
2nd Creeper Vines
3rd Fatal Fluffies
Animal Control Device
The Germ
etc, etc, etc

SERPENTOR

I wonder if Destro's ancient family god-monster was from Cobra-la.

Also, has anyone checked out the early draft script included in that dvd package? A few earlier draft names was left in this draft "Riverboat" was renamed Lt Falcon, and "Worthington" was renamed Order. Tho reading it, if they kept some of the scenes the way they were in that script it would have been awesome. Like Tomahawks and Dragonflys carrying maulers, vamps, awe strikers and other vehicles leaving the base to Cobra-La. And Iceberg and Flint flying Sky Hawks and Lifeline in a Tomahawk searching for Roadblocks unit.

Blackwaterprison77
01-30-2011, 08:16 AM
I wish they put the Zarana nude scene in there. Did they say anything about that in the commentary?Or anything about other deleted or missing scenes?

Ronnie Dobbs
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I wonder if Destro's ancient family god-monster was from Cobra-la.

Also, has anyone checked out the early draft script included in that dvd package? A few earlier draft names was left in this draft "Riverboat" was renamed Lt Falcon, and "Worthington" was renamed Order. Tho reading it, if they kept some of the scenes the way they were in that script it would have been awesome. Like Tomahawks and Dragonflys carrying maulers, vamps, awe strikers and other vehicles leaving the base to Cobra-La. And Iceberg and Flint flying Sky Hawks and Lifeline in a Tomahawk searching for Roadblocks unit.

I didn't take a look at that early draft script, but in the commentary Buzz Dixon said that Lt. Falcon was originally going to be Hawk's son, and the worst part about it was what they were going to name him......Are you ready for this?.........BABY HAWK. No joke.

takedown
02-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I didn't take a look at that early draft script, but in the commentary Buzz Dixon said that Lt. Falcon was originally going to be Hawk's son, and the worst part about it was what they were going to name him......Are you ready for this?.........BABY HAWK. No joke.

Yeah I heard the commentary and knew that Hawk's son was to be the new Joe field commander, and the Baby Hawk comment I basically took that with a grain of salt.

Steel Brigade
02-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Finally got this GI JOE Movie '87 BD as a late present last weekend... I can't WAIT to check it out!!