PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Tomahawk Restoration

chuck harvey
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
I am about to embark on restoring a 1986 Tomahawk. Does anyone have any experience? I am already having trouble breaking it down....does anyone know if the main fusalauge (sp?) came snapped together out of the box?? I can't seem to get it sperated without breaking it....but it seems that it would have to because of all the internal parts.

CH

Tolan
12-19-2010, 01:06 PM
It came fused together from the factory. It can be cut open with a steady hand and a dremel cutting wheel.

Narius P
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Why the need to cut it in half?

chuck harvey
12-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't really have to. I just found it in my parents attic where it has been sitting uncovered for 20 years. So it is really dusty/dirty. I wanted to take it apart as much as possible so that I can throughly clean it.

Narius P
12-19-2010, 03:08 PM
You should be able to strip it down far enough so that you can just wash it all down without having to split it apart. The only pieces you have to be really careful removing are the engine covers, the rear ones in particular as the tab breaks really easily! Also the canopy can be taken out just do it carefully! You could try drip drying it or maybe use a hairdryer to blast out some of that hidden water!

chuck harvey
12-19-2010, 03:38 PM
A problem I might encounter is that both of the Roter Heads have been cracked off. So i will need to replace those....but how will I get them into the right spot without being able to split it into 2 halves?

Narius P
12-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Right, yeah that's a problem! TBH i've not had a damaged one that's needed to be split in two. If it were me i'd try and find a toy with less damage to use as a base (Maybe that's just me), do you have many bits for this project?

chuck harvey
12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
I might have to...its just this one was mine from when I was a kid. So I might see if I can get new Roter Heads first to fit back into it with out splitting it. I guess I am just attached to this one since it is the one I use to play with.
What did you mean when you asked...do I have many bits?

chuck harvey
12-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Does anyone have 2 Rotor Heads for a 1986 Tomahawk? I am looking to buy the front and back Rotor Heads.

Thanks!

Narius P
12-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I might have to...its just this one was mine from when I was a kid. So I might see if I can get new Roter Heads first to fit back into it with out splitting it. I guess I am just attached to this one since it is the one I use to play with.
What did you mean when you asked...do I have many bits?

I was just wondering if the Tomahawk you had, still had all the pieces! That way you could pick up a shell and swap bits over. If it was the one you had as a kid then I get why you're trying to make it perfect again, I can only suggest carefully cutting through the glued pieces and doing it the right way, I just looked at mine and I think if you just tried to prise apart the 2 sections you'd end up splitting the shell!

Again, i've never done it myself, I think it's going to be a case of seeing how big the rotor end is buried within the shell and seeing if it may just be a case of pulling the halves open a few mm to access it!

gijoe071681
12-19-2010, 05:04 PM
I took the rotor heads out of one I had and traded them off so I'm pretty sure it am be done without splitting the tomahawk in two. and as for Narius P. I think he meant have allocated many parts for this project yet or are you just starting out.

chuck harvey
12-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Well I got lucky...I heard something rattling around inside the Tomahawk and it was the broken off piece of the rotor head...which broke off like 20 years ago. Anyhow I still have the broken rotor head and I will now try glueing this piece back onto it, which fits perfectly, then sliding it back into place. I just need Decals(have been order from Cobra Stickers) and a few missles(headed to Kokomo Toys on Jan. 22nd) to complete the Tomahawk. This is ALOT of fun. Does anyone pick up old Vichicles and restores them for resale? I would like to do this just as a hobby, and would like for it to pay for itself.

CH

bigvig
12-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I just posted this in another thread but ah, what the hell. I broke mine down today and used a toothbrush and dawn on her. Took off TONS of dust. It wasnt too time consuming either. I remember they came whole (the fuselage that is) and I did look it over to see if I could split her but no way.

Mine has a couple small issues but overall Im happy. It currently looks as good as new and I MIGHT use some armour all on her too. Havent decided yet.