PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Renegades Episode 4 - Return Of The Arashikage Part 1 Discussion

dj7000
12-10-2010, 06:16 PM
discuss

Blue Ninja
12-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Yo Joe!

kennywr22
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Come on details. I'm recording it but not home..how is it?

RolandofGilead
12-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I forgot this was on today. I cannot wait!

kennywr22
12-10-2010, 06:52 PM
What happened?? Nobody watching already??

dj7000
12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Jinx is explaining how her and SE are together. Jinx and Storm shadow are cousins. Hard master is Jinx;s father.

RolandofGilead
12-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I never knew Jinx was a relation.

kennywr22
12-10-2010, 06:57 PM
To whom?

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Apparently I don't get the hub now :(

Jinx and SE are an item? Or just "together" like friends or something? Color me curious.

<------ A fan of SE and Scarlett, but yall knew that

RolandofGilead
12-10-2010, 06:59 PM
To whom?

Jinx is explaining how her and SE are together. Jinx and Storm shadow are cousins. Hard master is Jinx;s father.

See.

kennywr22
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Ahhh.cool.ss appear yet?

dj7000
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Storm shadow came to the dojo and kicked Everyones butt. He left them all in a burning cabin...to be continued. Great show

Zefram
12-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Missed the first 5 min.

Oh SNAP! I can't believe they actually showed SE throat being cut!

ultramax
12-10-2010, 07:01 PM
wow, ss kicked major but, cant wait for the show down next week, this cartoon rules!!!! and oh yeah, hi haters!!

kennywr22
12-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Anything showing the hardmasters death? Zartan?

Steel Brigade
12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
WOW!! Hands down the best episode of Renegades yet, great story telling & Jinx was amazing!!

dj7000
12-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Here's a summary: SE takes the joe's to the dojo to help train them. Jinx is there and she explains through flashback how her and Snake Eyes met. SE is Jinx's sensei. The flashback shows SE, storm shadow, Jinx training. Hard master is killed, SE gets cut in the throat by a throwing star.

At the end of the show Storm shadow tells Jinx that SE killed hard master and they showed a flashback. Storm shadown throws tranquilizing darts at all the joes and they are kncoked out. Shadow takes Jinx and sets the cabin with all the Joes in it on fire. To be continued

Barefoot Jedi
12-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Anything showing the hardmasters death? Zartan?

His actual death? No.

Could be Zartan.

Could be another twist on the story.

WOW!! Hands down the best episode of Renegades yet, great story telling & Jinx was amazing!!

I was happy to see her get as big a role as she did and the interpretation of her character.

Jinx apparently is the Hard Master's daughter.

Black Swan
12-10-2010, 07:09 PM
This episode kicked @$$.I can't wait to see next week's episode.More ninjas please!

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Missed the first 5 min.

Oh SNAP! I can't believe they actually showed SE throat being cut!

That...that's beast! No lame "OH CRUEL SAD WORLD MY MASTER IS DEDZ I WILL BECOME A SNOB!".

Wonder though...who threw the star at Snake Eyes? Who really killed the Hard Master?

Blue Ninja
12-10-2010, 07:12 PM
My step-by-step notes.

"By definition..." lol. Lovin' the Rat!

No Batcave joke after the secret dojo location?

I was hoping for a Timber appearance once I saw the cabin. Including Snake-Eyes' cabin-dojo is a very nice homage to the Marvel/DD series.

Kuji Kiri - The "four precepts" were straight from the Kuji Kiri - Ninjitsu's finger-nitting meditation. Although, out of order from way I learned them. (Scarlett read them off as 1, 3, 2, 5 - Rin, Toh, Kyo, Kai.)

Duke's face when getting his butt kicked by Jinx: priceless.

Snake-eyes talks...as a kid...some people aren't going to like that.

Jinx's look is pretty sweet. I like the jealousy and the revealing of SE's feelings for Scarlett. Her reaction seems to imply covering up her feelings (obviously), but maybe some previous...dating?

Tomesaburusu (sp?): nice Japannessing of Tommy. Good explanation of his taking the clan name as his professional name.

Why would a guy who spends most of his time "in the dirt" be bothered by hanging out in the wide-open spaces of the woods around SE's cabin?

On Hard Master's Death: no sign of archery. Just what looked like a throwing spike to me. Could it be that they are so cool that the murder of Hard Master has nothing to do with Cobra? Nah, doubt that, but is Zartan involved?

Storm Shadow looks kind of lame. The open nose thing is silly.

Leaving them to burn...oh, how many times have we seen that? But I suppose it has to be done. Wouldn't be much of a series if a ninja slit everybody's throats while they were unconscious, eh?

Overall, I liked the episode...But these times go by so quickly, and now we got to wait until next week...

Blue Ninja
12-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Apparently I don't get the hub now :(

Jinx and SE are an item? Or just "together" like friends or something? Color me curious.

<------ A fan of SE and Scarlett, but yall knew that

No, Jinx may have a bit of a crush on her sensei, but I think it is more of a brother/sister thing. Jealous of Scarlett stealing the affections of her big brother.

Barefoot Jedi
12-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Probable that COBRA will hire Storm Shadow and the Arashikage to track Snake Eyes and Scarlett's team in later episodes.

I'm making a bet with myself they will do an homage to Marvel (like Resolute did) and have Zartan be the assassin.

Blue Ninja
12-10-2010, 07:18 PM
That...that's beast! No lame "OH CRUEL SAD WORLD MY MASTER IS DEDZ I WILL BECOME A SNOB!".

Wonder though...who threw the star at Snake Eyes? Who really killed the Hard Master?

Storm Shadow. (threw the star)

crock master
12-10-2010, 07:21 PM
this was ok. im just ready to get past the intro series. and another snake eyes story.yawn!

Barefoot Jedi
12-10-2010, 07:32 PM
My guess is COBRA was behind the Hard Master's assassination as Jinx mentioned the HM had decided to pull the clan out of criminal activities.

Perhaps the clan had been working for COBRA and the Commander was rather unhappy with the HM's change of heart so he had Zartan eliminate him so they could get new ninja management.

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 07:35 PM
My guess is COBRA was behind the Hard Master's assassination as Jinx mentioned the HM had decided to pull the clan out of criminal activities.

Perhaps the clan had been working for COBRA and the Commander was rather unhappy with the HM's change of heart so he had Zartan eliminate him so they could get new ninja management.

Interesting. Were Storm Shadow and Jinx involved in said criminal activities? Also, how did this whole thing with Storm Shadow throwing a star at Snake Eyes even occur like what prompted him to do that?

Monkeywrench
12-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I goofed and forgot to DVR it. I'm recording the replay tonight. Can't wait to watch it.

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Gah, I wish I had the hub. this is ridiculous.

Barefoot Jedi
12-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Interesting. Were Storm Shadow and Jinx involved in said criminal activities? Also, how did this whole thing with Storm Shadow throwing a star at Snake Eyes even occur like what prompted him to do that?

I interpreted it that Storm Shadow walked in seeing Snake Eyes over the Hard Master's body, assumed he did it, and threw the star at SE.

crock master
12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
so snake eyes says like 2 sentences

dj7000
12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I interpreted it that Storm Shadow walked in seeing Snake Eyes over the Hard Master's body, assumed he did it, and threw the star at SE.

Yes, And this was STORM SHADOWS interpretation as told to jinx by him.

dj7000
12-10-2010, 08:13 PM
one good/bad thing about this cartoon is that so much happens and sometimes so fast that you have to watch it more then once just to get the gist of what's going on. Smart move

MeLikeJinx
12-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I have totally fallen for Renegades Jinx. LOL. Her outfit is so awesome... very ninja-lady-like IMO.

And for the love of gawd... can SE at least beat up one person in this show without any help? LOL.

luigi
12-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I have totally fallen for Renegades Jinx. LOL. Her outfit is so awesome... very ninja-lady-like IMO.
ummmmmmmmmm

carion
12-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Great episode, but it felt like it was only 5 minutes long. It went to fast.

luigi
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Great episode, but it felt like it was only 5 minutes long. It went to fast.

it did feal fast so much information

bravo
12-10-2010, 08:36 PM
you know so far the story line is not all bad, i don't mind watching it, its the art work that gets to me.

Black Swan
12-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Probable that COBRA will hire Storm Shadow and the Arashikage to track Snake Eyes and Scarlett's team in later episodes.

I'm making a bet with myself they will do an homage to Marvel (like Resolute did) and have Zartan be the assassin.
My money's on Firefly. Zartan is the red herring.
so snake eyes says like 2 sentences
Something like that. I'll have to see it again.
Having SS responsible for why SE can't speak is a nice twist.

And for the love of gawd... can SE at least beat up one person in this show without any help? LOL.
Jinx's real name is Nancy ? I didn't know that.
I think SE is always holding back and I hope he will cut loose next week in full ninja mode.

700block
12-10-2010, 08:47 PM
great episode. cant wait for next friday.

HobbyHobbs
12-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I was hoping that with the Ninja training everyone got, Roadblock would lose that fat ass he inexplicably got while serving in the Military.

fhersanke
12-10-2010, 08:54 PM
c mon youtube :(

luigi
12-10-2010, 08:55 PM
c mon youtube :(

dude give it a day

fhersanke
12-10-2010, 09:00 PM
dude give it a day

woow chill out buddy

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 09:01 PM

Reminds me of Zefram's caption pic with Batman at a Superman symbol.

luigi
12-10-2010, 09:05 PM
woow chill out buddy

i am "chilled out" as you say
i was stating that things have to be uploaded to a computer and then split up so it can be uploaded to youtube

fhersanke
12-10-2010, 09:10 PM
i am "chilled out" as you say
i was stating that things have to be uploaded to a computer and then split up so it can be uploaded to youtube

sorry to bother man i wasnt serious , i know it takes time to be uploaded i was just excited about the great comments on the episode thats all

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
12-10-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm with fhersnake, I apparently don't get the Hub, and even though this was my first Friday off in almost a year, I didn't get to see it, either.

Looking forward to the episode going online.

Saboteur
12-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I like the new show and hope to see it do good, but I'm skipping on the ninja stuff. I can live without all of that ninja hoopla.

Storm
12-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I like the new show and hope to see it do good, but I'm skipping on the ninja stuff. I can live without all of that ninja hoopla.

He realy said that ??? :D

fhersanke
12-10-2010, 09:33 PM
someone knows if snake eyes appears unamsked on the flasbacks

carion
12-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Im not big on the ninja stuff either, but this was done well with some pretty good wrighting.

They apear to be doing their homework on the history of all the diferent continuities and trying to find a blend that balences them out.

MeLikeJinx
12-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Maybe Renegades is gonna be the first Joe series in which Storm Shadow actually has superior ninja skills than Snake Eyes.

fhersanke
12-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Maybe Renegades is gonna be the first Joe series in which Storm Shadow actually has superior ninja skills than Snake Eyes.

hope so

kennywr22
12-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Storm shadow owned everyone.wow.they have seemed to have done a good and interesting take on the story. Can't wait for next weeks show down.

luigi
12-10-2010, 09:52 PM

and jinx will be better than storm shadow

John_0515
12-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Snake Eyes doesn't get his name because he has the gaze or stare of a snake. He gets his name because his life always came up "Snake Eyes". It's better than ROC in my opinion, but there's something to be said about honoring certain sacred things, and in the GI JOE universe - Snake Eyes is sacred.

It's a good series, however. I like the character development with everyone involved, and after 26 episodes there should be some fun stuff to discuss and branch off with.

MeLikeJinx
12-10-2010, 10:01 PM
someone knows if snake eyes appears unamsked on the flasbacks
Yah, he's unmasked in the flashbacks.

Storm shadow owned everyone.wow.they have seemed to have done a good and interesting take on the story. Can't wait for next weeks show down.
Yah, SS didn't even break a sweat either. LOL. I can't wait for next week's show too, but only cuz I wanna see Jinx fight SS, not SE. LOL.

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 10:20 PM

As it should be. Why? It distinguishes them. Snake Eyes, the commando who learns ninjutsu later on. Storm Shadow, brought up with ninjutsu. To me, Snake Eyes would be more open, possibly more versatile, and open to using a wide range of techniques, not limited to ninjutsu.

John_0515
12-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Snake Eyes, the commando who learns ninjutsu later on.

Seriously. I still like how much of a bad ass SE is in this one.

I find it funny how SS's dojo has a command center in it.

Tom-1
12-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Really awesome episodes - and I don't care much for this ninja business, so that's saying something!

Really violent in some parts - a kid's (SE) throat getting slashed, then getting those tiny 'darts' (knives) stuck in his chest like they were porcupine quills...

The animation was probably the best yet. During the fights, my eyes were tuned in. It looked amazing.

Storm Shadow's (partially) exposed face reminded me of the cartoon equivilent of X-Men the movie, where Wolverine had his face showing because people can't relate to masked characters or whatever... but it hardly bugged me and is a neat touch.

Jinx's voice is almost identical to that of the actress in GI Joe: The Movie. It's cool, even though I don't need those sorts of things. It kind of surprised me at first how spot-on it was.

Tom

Zefram
12-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Can't wait 'till this hits the torrents. The wait is a killer.

I like the amount of character SE shows in his movements. They put an amazing amount of subtlety in it and you get a genuine feel for his personality. He's still mysterious as hell, but you can guess what kind of mood he's in just by how he stands facing Duke. It's something neither the ARAH series or even the comic were really able to pull off at the time.

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Awesome episode. Awesome. Different from the Marvel continuity (of course) but it totally retained the spirit and "feel" of the characters and story.

Some great martial arts action...some really nice suspense. Storm Shadow is absolutely a superior fighter in this one. He single-handedly takes down everyone in the freaking cabin.

The scene where Storm Shadow stumbles upon Snake Eyes and nails him with the throwing star? SICK. Really intense.

I'm still holding out hope that Snake Eyes ends up disfigured... who thinks that maybe it will even happen during the fire in the cabin? He goes back in to rescue Scarlett and comes out with his head on fire? How cool would that be.

Probably stretching it, but just something that came to mind.

I'm working on the review now, and will have some of the video available for that...

Justin

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh and did anyone see the commercial for next week's episode?! My damn DVR cut off right as it started! :(

Justin

RenHoek
12-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I liked the last episode more. :P

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Hey did Storm Shadow in flashback...like his costume, look different than Storm Shadow towards the end of the episode where he kidnaps the Joes?

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Hey did Storm Shadow in flashback...like his costume, look different than Storm Shadow towards the end of the episode where he kidnaps the Joes?

Yeah, in the flashback, he's just basically wearing a white gi without a mask. You know, I really didn't like his mask when I first saw the designs, but in this episode, it really didn't bother me too much.

Justin

Jay West
12-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh and did anyone see the commercial for next week's episode?! My damn DVR cut off right as it started! :(

Justin

Yep.

Voice over Dude paraphrase:

With the Joe team down SS continues his revenge with Jinx caught in the middle. More secrets will be revealed leading to an epic showdown.

End paraphrase.

No real spoilers in the scenes they show.

Jay West
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm still holding out hope that Snake Eyes ends up disfigured... who thinks that maybe it will even happen during the fire in the cabin? He goes back in to rescue Scarlett and comes out with his head on fire? How cool would that be.

I sorta think he is already disfigured. I think it is tied somehow to Scarlett. I say this b/c of his bald head in the last episode. Yes, I know some of us are bald and not disfigured...:) But I think for a children's show if he wasn't disfigured he'd have had hair last week. Just a guess.

luigi
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM

huh i think you mean kidnap jinx and burn snake eyes dojo to the ground

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Okay, my review and episode synopsis has been posted, for folks clamoring for a peek!

Four video clips. Not nearly the whole episode, of course, but some nice snippets from some of the cooler parts.

Episode Four – Return of the Arashikage (Part 1) | G.I. Joe: Renegades (http://generalsjoes.com/renegades/episode-guide/season-one/episode-four-return-of-the-arashikage-part-1/)

Justin

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I sorta think he is already disfigured. I think it is tied somehow to Scarlett. I say this b/c of his bald head in the last episode. Yes, I know some of us are bald and not disfigured...:) But I think for a children's show if he wasn't disfigured he'd have had hair last week. Just a guess.

Yeah, I made that same point about his face/head last week, and you're probably right. He does have that prior relationship with Scarlett as his pupil, so it certainly could have happened there.

I can't wait until next week!

Justin

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Yep.

Voice over Dude paraphrase:

With the Joe team down SS continues his revenge with Jinx caught in the middle. More secrets will be revealed leading to an epic showdown.

End paraphrase.

No real spoilers in the scenes they show.

Okay. Any scenes from next week at all that you can tell?

Thanks!

Justin

Gatchaman
12-10-2010, 11:26 PM
This episode rocks! I actually watched it and then when it was over immediately watched it again. Very, very well done. Didn't step on any toes (so to speak) with what we all know and love about GI Joe.

That being said I am starting to crave/miss the military element that the Sunbow cartoon had. Missing tanks, jets, bases, etc.... I'm sure we will get more of that in the future but would like to see some sooner than later.

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 11:26 PM

Yeah, in the flashback, he's just basically wearing a white gi without a mask. You know, I really didn't like his mask when I first saw the designs, but in this episode, it really didn't bother me too much.

Justin

Does he have a hood?

Zefram
12-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Does he have a hood?

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Yo%20Joe/gijoe-renegades-storm-shadow.jpg

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Does he have a hood?

In the flashbacks, no.

Justin

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Here are screen caps. Present look is with the hood/mask. Past look is without.

Justin

luigi
12-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Here are screen caps. Present look is with the hood/mask. Past look is without.

Justin

may i ask why do you put Justin at the end of your posts

General Hawk
12-10-2010, 11:47 PM
may i ask why do you put Justin at the end of your posts

Because that's my name?

Snake Shadow09
12-11-2010, 12:33 AM
what happened someone please fill me in!!!!!

SNAKE EYES
12-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Storm Shadow looks kind of lame. The open nose thing is silly.

Overall, I liked the episode...But these times go by so quickly, and now we got to wait until next week...

Agreed^

I loved the episode too, but I despise Storm Shadows mask... really my only complaint and something that I hope will be changed in the future.

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:10 AM
I finally got to watch episode 4. I gotta say, I was worried about the ninja stuff but this show was another win. Here's my thoughts....

The opening was very cool and I really dug SS's hood and command center. I also liked what they did with Breaker. It's cool that he's not traveling with the joes and he's using the internet to help/hurt the Joes.

Jinx was the highlight of the show. I really dig her look and her voice acting was top notch. The rivalerly between Scarlett and Jinx was a nice touch. I liked how they used Jinx to tell the origin of SS/SE. She kicked ass and smashed Duke the whole show lol.

No "vow of silence"!!!! The fact that SS cut SE's throat with a brutal star was fricking awesome! I love it.

Storm Shadow is one bad dude! He was kicking ass the whole show and it looks like he will be better then SE and that is a nice change. I'm not feeling his look though. The hair popping out of his mask and the nose showing is just too weird for me. Hopedully he will either get a new look or I will get used to it. Him taking out all the joes and stealing Jinx, then leaving them to burn was great.

Overall I dig! Can't wait for part 2.

Zefram
12-11-2010, 01:15 AM
Storm Shadow is one bad dude! He was kicking ass the whole show and it looks like he will be better then SE and that is a nice change.

No shit, just when you think SE has set the bar for crazy ninja crap, SS goes and pulls the sword catch on Jinx, another trained ninja, without looking.

It'll be interesting to see if/how he's tied to Cobra.

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:16 AM
No shit, just when you think SE has set the bar for crazy ninja crap, SS goes and pulls the sword catch on Jinx, another trained ninja, without looking.

That will be interesing. I bet we will find out next week

SNAKE EYES
12-11-2010, 01:21 AM

That will be interesing. I bet we will find out next week

Unless now he's just tied to Snake Eyes and they'll build up to Storm Shadow being part of Cobra in a later episode.

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Posted this in the origin prediction thread. It's valid here too.

Just a quick recap of what we know so far:

A teenage SE rescues a 8 year old Jinx and teenage SS from some random Ninjas. The hard master accepts SE to the clan for training. SE gets his tat and SS and SE are like brothers. SS is cocky and brash, SE the opposite, Jinx compares them to Kane and Able. SE takes a beating from the hard master to protect SS. SS walks in on a dead Hard Master, with SE over him. SS attacks SE and cuts his throat with a throwing star killing his vocal cords. SE takes Jinx and leaves the clan stealing the sacred sword. Jinx trains with SE, eventually going back to SS claiming that SE is dead and offically joins the Arashikage. SS knows that she is full of it and lets her lead him to SE's secret dojo. SS destroys the joes and SE, kidnaps Jinx and leaves them for dead...

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Unless now he's just tied to Snake Eyes and they'll build up to Storm Shadow being part of Cobra in a later episode.

that is definitly possible. Maybe after SE owns SS in the next show, Cobra will approach SS and they will form an alliance.

USAgent
12-11-2010, 01:32 AM
I liked it.show seems to keep getting better every episode. My wife wasn't feeling well so she sat and watched it with me and she loved it, but was ticked about the "to be continued"

Snake Shadow09
12-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Agreed^

I loved the episode too, but I despise Storm Shadows mask... really my only complaint and something that I hope will be changed in the future.

im sure they will change it in the upcoming seasons.

Blue Ninja
12-11-2010, 01:45 AM

No, that was a joke. Duke derisively called Jinx a Samurai Suzi, and Scarlett "corrected" him, calling her a "Ninja Nancy."

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:45 AM

Justin

Yea it looked good. A few quick shots of SS and SE fighting

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Okay, my review and episode synopsis has been posted, for folks clamoring for a peek!

Four video clips. Not nearly the whole episode, of course, but some nice snippets from some of the cooler parts.

Episode Four Return of the Arashikage (Part 1) | G.I. Joe: Renegades (http://generalsjoes.com/renegades/episode-guide/season-one/episode-four-return-of-the-arashikage-part-1/)

Justin

Awesome review! Thanks for putting all this together on such short notice.

SNAKE EYES
12-11-2010, 01:48 AM
that is definitly possible. Maybe after SE owns SS in the next show, Cobra will approach SS and they will form an alliance.

That would be cool.

im sure they will change it in the upcoming seasons.

Let's hope.

Yea it looked good. A few quick shots of SS and SE fighting

Yeah SE looked bad a$$ all battle damaged in those clips.

SNAKE EYES
12-11-2010, 01:50 AM

Justin

I learned my lesson on the first episode, so now I manually add an extra minute on the DVR when it records Renegades that way I don't get the dreaded cut-off :D

07GT500 COBRA
12-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Great episode.

I'm nitpicking here, but Snake Eye's retropharyngeal nerves were probably severed by the star, not his vocal chords, thus paralyzing said vocal chords.

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Great episode.

I'm nitpicking here, but Snake Eye's retropharyngeal nerves were probably severed by the star, not his vocal chords, thus paralyzing said vocal chords.

LOL. Good call. I will go with that :)

Blue Ninja
12-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Snake Eyes doesn't get his name because he has the gaze or stare of a snake.

He does in this universe.

He gets his name because his life always came up "Snake Eyes".

This is the second time I have heard this reference, but I have never heard what source/universe it comes from. I don't recall it from any of the file cards or Marvel/DD run. It is certainly not from any of the animated series. Where do you get it?

However, it does give Snake Eyes a kind of tragic, Elric feel.

fhersanke
12-11-2010, 02:08 AM
He does in this universe.

This is the second time I have heard this reference, but I have never heard what source/universe it comes from. I don't recall it from any of the file cards or Marvel/DD run. It is certainly not from any of the animated series. Where do you get it?

However, it does give Snake Eyes a kind of tragic, Elric feel.

u can find that reference on snake eyes declassified when snake talks his father

sorry for my english

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
12-11-2010, 02:18 AM
LOL. Good call. I will go with that :)

Yo, monkeywrench, you say you finally saw it? Any chance it was online? I don't get the Hub, apparently.

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Yo, monkeywrench, you say you finally saw it? Any chance it was online? I don't get the Hub, apparently.

no. I forgot to DVR it at 4 this afternoon. They replay it at 10:30pm, so I watched that one.

SNAKE EYES
12-11-2010, 02:22 AM
no. I forgot to DVR it at 4 this afternoon. They replay it at 10:30pm, so I watched that one.

Good to know... I didn't know they aired it again later, but now I do and knowing is half the battle :)

http://www.kingquagmire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/psa.jpg

Snake Shadow09
12-11-2010, 02:35 AM
someone please fill me in!

MeLikeJinx
12-11-2010, 02:37 AM

Episode Four Return of the Arashikage (Part 1) | G.I. Joe: Renegades (http://generalsjoes.com/renegades/episode-guide/season-one/episode-four-return-of-the-arashikage-part-1/)

Justin
Cool.

John_0515
12-11-2010, 03:55 AM

If you read Snake Eyes: Declassified, you will see the development of this - as Cobra Commander and Snake Eyes' lives are intertwined.

You also see his relationships with Lonzo (Stalker) and Tommy (Storm Shadow) when they were in Vietnam.

I guess I'm partial to the comic books. Renegades is developing nicely however. I'm nitpicking as well.

General Hawk
12-11-2010, 07:37 AM
someone please fill me in!

I'm not going to retype everything, but I wrote a VERY detailed synopsis for my episode guide:

Episode Four – Return of the Arashikage (Part 1) | G.I. Joe: Renegades (http://generalsjoes.com/renegades/episode-guide/season-one/episode-four-return-of-the-arashikage-part-1/)

topnotch97
12-11-2010, 07:52 AM
did they just messed up everything again?!?!

oh well. that's how things are. :D

dukie boy playing sword. LOL

Trooper13
12-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Ugh, here we go. Ninja's with the mystical power to turn pine cones to dust. Sigh.

For what it's worth, I didn't dislike all of it. I liked the way SE brought them to the dojo. I liked the fact that SS cut the fuel line, and that his strategies and style made short work of the Joes. I actually really love Jinx's character and her place at the center of this. She's actually the highlight of this episode for me.

While I like the characters, I don't like the path that this is leading us down. I've no desire to revisit the "everyone's a ninja" crap that Hama churned out. Or the fact that ninjas are "supermen".

It was GREAT however to give both Flint and Cobra a rest for the episode so they don't get completely old right off the bat. While I'm not excited that ninjas are apparently going to be, once again, the be all, end all, of mystical might. I do like the manner in which this series is progressing. It seems well thought out, which begs the question. Why copy Hama?

I'll reserve final judgement to see how this next episode plays out. My kids watched it last night without me, as my girl and I had a party we had to attend. They LOVED it. Apparently, no surprise, kids dig ninjas. :/

John_0515
12-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Well, he got bested by SS when it comes to swords, as it should be.

Echo7Solo
12-11-2010, 10:30 AM
As it should be. Why? It distinguishes them. Snake Eyes, the commando who learns ninjutsu later on. Storm Shadow, brought up with ninjutsu. To me, Snake Eyes would be more open, possibly more versatile, and open to using a wide range of techniques, not limited to ninjutsu.

Your right that is how it SHOULD be, however it is not the way it IS in this episode or series. Snake Eyes seems to be too young to be in the military so that is thrown out. It looks like Renegades is making him more of a ninja than a commando to start with. That's ok with me in THIS setting as he is not part of a regular military unit to start with. Once GI Joe is formed and they are a real team he may be added to the team but it isn't like he would be doing any "real" military action.

Now the real question is what is this slice of wonder bread doing in the middle of Japan to start with at that age? Could he be an "Army Brat"? Or is he there for another reason? I do like the idea of his family being in the military because that at least gives him some kind of connection.

Trooper13
12-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Now the real question is what is this slice of wonder bread doing in the middle of Japan to start with at that age? Could he be an "Army Brat"? Or is he there for another reason? I do like the idea of his family being in the military because that at least gives him some kind of connection.

Now that is inspired thinking, right there. That would be a great way to connect things.

spect_spidey
12-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Really liked the episode. Personally I think there will be a showdown between SE & SS in the next episode, but at some point it will be revealed that Cobra killed Hard Master and SS will join Cobra to track down who killed his uncle.

dj7000
12-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Any possibility that SE actually did kill Hard master since he did take a whoopin from the old man? I don't think SS will have ties to cobra until later on. Seems like he has a Arishikage "business"..very well done to keep it modern. Perhaps he lends his services to cobra down the line.

I see these two episodes as isolated to the overall story of the Joes on the run. I look for SE to defeat SS with the help of the Joes and Jinx goes with them for one episode then gets left off somewhere either to SE's new dojo or back to Japan. I just think the chemistry of constant conflict between jinx, SE, scarlett may overshadow things. I mean after all, they are fugitives. However, I do see her appearing in later episodes when the Joes get more involved with Cobra:)

Echo7Solo
12-11-2010, 12:57 PM
The thing that makes me most happy with Renegades is to see Snake Eyes get smacked around a little each episode.

Trooper13
12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
The thing that makes me most happy with Renegades is to see Snake Eyes get smacked around a little each episode.

THIS! I loved the BV kicking his butt that first go 'round. I loved that Bludd managed to get a couple of licks in. I loved that SS managed to take him down.

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 01:06 PM

THIS! I loved the BV kicking his butt that first go 'round. I loved that Bludd managed to get a couple of licks in. I loved that SS managed to take him down.

Yes!

Jay West
12-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think SS will have ties to cobra until later on. Seems like he has a Arishikage "business"..very well done to keep it modern. Perhaps he lends his services to cobra down the line.

I liked this part alot. Looks like SS is keeping the clan somewhat modern thieves and assassins.

Did anyone see any romantic tension brewing between Duke and Jinx?

arashikage storm
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
My guess is that obviously Cobra is behind the Hard Master's death. I bet Cobra had Zartan kill Hard Master, since he "turned over a new leaf" so to speak. They were afraid he would talk about the things that the Arashikage had done for Cobra in the past, since they needed to maintain their squeaky clean image. What a great episode this was! This is my favorite telling of the SE/SS origin done in animation so far. Storm Shadow could go good in this universe in the future, since it was not him that did the deed, or even orchestrated it.

Shin Densetsu
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Great episode.

To some extent, that makes what happened to him even more beast.

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
12-11-2010, 03:41 PM
BTW Steel- Love the Winter Soldier.

Night Viper 143
12-11-2010, 03:41 PM
My money's on Firefly. Zartan is the red herring.

Something like that. I'll have to see it again.
Having SS responsible for why SE can't speak is a nice twist.

I'd like to see the whole thing play out too as before with Zartan and Firefly. I am disappointed that they continue to cut out the tragic loss of SE twin sister as the reason SE spirals out of control and SS's invite to his clan saves him. It makes his character much deeper.

I agree that it is a nice twist but I hope they don't skip over the bit where SE is disfigured by saving Scarlet because of it.

I think he was waiting for her to strike, so he could prove irrefutably that her allegiance has never been with the Arishakage. The banal look on his face while she is sneaking up really says it all.

I liked this part alot. Looks like SS is keeping the clan somewhat modern thieves and assassins.

Did anyone see any romantic tension brewing between Duke and Jinx?

I did, and I think it will be a good dynamic to employ later. I hope they don't rush it, like alot of other shows do. It needs to be a slow build.

Overall, I think the episode was great. I realize Tommy, Stalker and SE can't all be 'Nam buddies anymore, but they could still have served together somewheres. I've always liked that part alot. Especially since Stalker is my favorite character. I think the fact that they didn't use that, is an indicator that they have no intention of using Stalker anytime soon.

However, the show is fantastic. It may not be 'my GI Joe, but it is definitely a GI Joe I am looking forward to viewing each and every week, just like Wolverine and the X-men.

It wasn't the same as other versions, but it was still Absolutely Amazing!!!

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
However, the show is fantastic. It may not be 'my GI Joe, but it is definitely a GI Joe I am looking forward to viewing each and every week, just like Wolverine and the X-men.

It wasn't the same as other versions, but it was still Absolutely Amazing!!!

This^^ sums up my feelings about renegades

Night Viper 143
12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh, and the look SE gives Duke when he puts his hand on SE shoulder was priceless.

It screamed, 'Dude, why are you touching me... don't you know... I'm da ninja b!@#$. Nobody touches da ninja!'

very p-i-m-p.

Snake Shadow09
12-11-2010, 03:49 PM
anywhere i can watch this online?

CobraCoffee
12-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I must say, I am LOVING this cartoon.

Well done Hasbro. I am very VERY happy thus far.

General Hawk
12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Now that I've had some time to think back on it, I'm loving this origin even more. It pretty much has all of the important points covered.

- Snake Eyes can't speak.
- Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are bitter rivals
- The Hard Master's death drives them apart even more
- Neither one of them is solely responsible for his death

I absolutely love the fact that Storm Shadow appears to be the much more formidable fighter, and the feeling of suspense that was throughout the entire episode was exceptionally well done. When they finally saw that the fuel line was cut? Terrific.

The whole part with Duke attacking Storm Shadow with a sword...I mean, Storm Shadow had Jinx slung over his shoulder, and Duke struck from behind, yet Stormy still basically took care of him within seconds.

I don't see the ninjas really being "superhuman" here. Sure, they're exceptional martial artists, but Snake Eyes isn't exactly destroying everyone in every episode, and while Storm Shadow took care of business, he did sneak attack and use darts.

And honestly...I'm not real worried about the whole ninja angle taking over. Looking at upcoming episodes, there certainly doesn't seem to be much to worry about there. Plus, we still have Destro, Zartan, Scrap Iron, and the Twins to consider. I think we'll get a nice balance.

As an aside, I really liked the military stuff leaking through this ninja storyline, too. The way they maintained the perimeter, and flanked the cabin... pretty well done for a kids cartoon.

I'm still impressed. Absolutely dying to see next week's episode.

Justin

Shin Densetsu
12-11-2010, 05:34 PM
anywhere i can watch this online?

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-renegades-animation-discussion/91812-official-gi-joe-renegades-torrents-episode-downloads-youtube-thread.html#post2124742

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh, and the look SE gives Duke when he puts his hand on SE shoulder was priceless.

It screamed, 'Dude, why are you touching me... don't you know... I'm da ninja b!@#$. Nobody touches da ninja!'

very p-i-m-p.

That was cool

dj7000
12-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Any bets Duke gets the scar over his eye this next episode?

Monkeywrench
12-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Any bets Duke gets the scar over his eye this next episode?

what scar?

Shin Densetsu
12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Just watched. Wow. Best episode so far. I thought the 1st 2 were okay, the Bludd episode I liked, and admittedly, I was looking forward to this 2 parter most. Biased because I am a Storm Shadow fan. Glad the creative team did not write Storm Shadow as some pure evil ninja. That's out of character. Not getting my hopes up, wait and see phase, but I like how he's been written so far.

Wants the Arashikage leadership because he himself is an Arashikage, angry because it seems like Snake Eyes not only killed the Hard Master but stole the Sword Of Arashikage. Maybe Snake Eyes didn't kill Hard Master, but the fact that he and Storm Shadow were not on good terms beforehand does not help.

Wonder which figure will come with the sword. Storm Shadow's design isn't bad, it's a fresh take on the look. Some alterations could make it better but as with all the designs, I still think they aren't permanent, like by later seasons, we'll see them "upgraded" to more "familiar" looks. Well, maybe except for Snake Eyes and Scarlett, Baroness, and Bludd. Or Flint.

Also, I am glad to see Storm Shadow finally having an edge over Snake Eyes. In the DiC cartoons, I was hyped thinking Storm Shadow would KICK.NIGHT CREEPER LEADER's.ASS.

Instead he said "oh no, you will duel with Snake Eyes", implying that Snake Eyes was a better ninja.

YouTube - Oh here go hell come (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4IUgMq0Aw)

I can understand having Snake Eyes being the better commando, but not the better ninja. Storm Shadow historically got the shaft..a LOT in favor of Snake Eyes. Glad to see that this may not be the case in Renegades..well not all the way..as right now it's implied that Storm Shadow is the superior ninja. All is well today.

In Sigma 6..eh...I forgot what happened but that cartoon is not memorable to me aside from the designs(toys kicked ass though). Resolute as we all know, saw Snake Eyes seemingly kill Storm Shadow but Storm Shadow's grave is shown emptied post-credits. So that implies that Storm Shadow inadvertently tricked Snake Eyes into teaching him the 7th step. This is bad ass, but still hate how Storm Shadow was just an evil raging ninja in white in Resolute.

So Renegades is doing the character right so far. Maybe he will live a lie to find the truth, maybe he will go down a conflicted downward spiral, only to find out that Snake Eyes was framed, and couldn't tell him himself that he didn't kill Hard Master, because Storm Shadow threw the shuriken at his throat.

I mean hell the way the ramifications will play out...that will be beast. I have a feeling Storm Shadow will then out of sorrow, join Snake Eyes' side and may end up dying, risking his life for him and Jinx, yet leading the Arashikage the right way. I dunno. The seeds of a possibly great plot have been planted with this episode though.

nightfall
12-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Just watched the 4th episode and it is a very tight story. I love how they are diving into the back story of two of the most iconic characters and delivering a very insightful story. The kind of story I would expect for these two. The intro of Jinx is awesome as well. Enjoyed how they tied her in. Well done!!

Troynos
12-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Didn't like this episode as much.

Love the new Jinx. Great design for her.

HATE HATE HATE Storm Shadow's design.

Glad they kept the family connection between Jinx and Storm Shadow, since she's always been his cousin. Making her the Hard Master's daughter is a nice touch.

Not sure if I do like the new origin, with SE saving Jinx and SS from the clan's enemies, and being taken in by the Hard Master.

Definately didn't like the Joes being brought to the mountain cabin. Didn't like the set-up, didn't like them so quickly agreeing to the training.

More super ninjas. :(

I am glad that Storm Shadow is bad. He doesn't care about honor, just respect and power. Egotistical, selfish. Didn't like that the Hard Master was going to make the clan good. Storm Shadow as a hero just never worked for me. Hated it. He makes a better foil for Snake Eyes and a better enemy for the Joes.

Give this a solid 3 out of 5.

John_0515
12-11-2010, 07:22 PM
HATE HATE HATE Storm Shadow's design.

I have to agree with this, although he's still a bad-ass. His outfit could have been better. Reminded me of Toad from the animated X-men series

Blue Ninja
12-11-2010, 07:38 PM
u can find that reference on snake eyes declassified when snake talks his father

sorry for my english

Arrg! My memory must be failing. Now I am going to have find my copies and re-read them.

Thank for the info.

Blue Ninja
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
did they just messed up everything again?!?!

oh well. that's how things are. :D

There's an app...i mean...figure for that.

minitrue
12-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Storm shadow has always been my favorite character. I like him most as a good guy. I like how in this set up each one thinks the other killed their master. I think storm shadow will join the joes sooner rather than later and be an under cover spy. I hope so, anyway...

Blue Ninja
12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Your right that is how it SHOULD be, however it is not the way it IS in this episode or series. Snake Eyes seems to be too young to be in the military so that is thrown out. It looks like Renegades is making him more of a ninja than a commando to start with. That's ok with me in THIS setting as he is not part of a regular military unit to start with. Once GI Joe is formed and they are a real team he may be added to the team but it isn't like he would be doing any "real" military action.

He's Hawk's long lost son. While a young colonel serving in Okinawa, his wife and young son were thought killed in a car accident while touring Tokyo. The accident was arranged by Cobra because Hawk was getting close to discovering fraud by Cobra weapons suppliers in there sales to the Pentagon. Hawk's injuries put him out of commission for several years during his rehab, and then he was transferred. The fraud was covered up as an accounting error, and Hawk never learned the truth behind his family's tragedy.

Meanwhile, young Snake Eyes, amnesiac, eventually escapes the brutal Japanese orphanage, and is secretly manipulated into saving the Hard Master and daughter. Hard master was aware of the need for occidental agents to further the clans reach, and felt guilty for arranging the death of Hawk's wife. (start of his desire to decriminalize his clan.)

monkeywrench1988
12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I actually hope they keep to some of the old school material and have it that Zartan killed Hard Master

Mazinger
12-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Why does everyone have such an attitude in this series?

John_0515
12-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Why does everyone have such an attitude in this series?

Tunnel Rat doesn't. His character is actually pretty funny. Neither does Roadblock. When Rip Cord resurfaces, I'm pretty sure he'll mesh in with the other two.

Snake Shadow09
12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-renegades-animation-discussion/91812-official-gi-joe-renegades-torrents-episode-downloads-youtube-thread.html#post2124742

i cant thank you enough.

07GT500 COBRA
12-11-2010, 09:56 PM
He's Hawk's long lost son. While a young colonel serving in Okinawa, his wife and young son were thought killed in a car accident while touring Tokyo. The accident was arranged by Cobra because Hawk was getting close to discovering fraud by Cobra weapons suppliers in there sales to the Pentagon. Hawk's injuries put him out of commission for several years during his rehab, and then he was transferred. The fraud was covered up as an accounting error, and Hawk never learned the truth behind his family's tragedy.

Meanwhile, young Snake Eyes, amnesiac, eventually escapes the brutal Japanese orphanage, and is secretly manipulated into saving the Hard Master and daughter. Hard master was aware of the need for occidental agents to further the clans reach, and felt guilty for arranging the death of Hawk's wife. (start of his desire to decriminalize his clan.)

Sounds cool except I think it might be easy to figure out who a caucasian child might belong to in an Asian country. Unless it's actually like that South Park episode USA vs. China dodgeball episode and we white people all look alike. LOL.

Super Beast
12-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Awesome episode..Dying to see next weeks.

ChaplainAsst
12-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I miss the old Marvel origin of SE. This one makes SS seem like a total brat - much like RoC or Resolute. Why do they have to mess with a perfectly good origin that is classic? Just update it to Desert Storm or something like that. But I will say it is a better origin for Jinx, who just seemed grafted into GI Joe. Of course, the big question is: who are the other students?

Big IV
12-11-2010, 11:27 PM
This needs to hurry up and head to youtube quick so I can take a look at it.

vadersquest
12-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Its on YouTube dude ^^^

kennywr22
12-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Being a hardcore marvel comics version fan, i have to say this was done really well. I understand the need to update and change it from the vietnam era( just wouldn't work now). My biggest fear was them making storm shadow a whinning jerk, and he isnt for the most part. He is pretty angry and hates snake eyes but it's mainly for real reasons and not fully understanding whats happening. There is at least a feeling he could be good later, unlike the crappy ass resolute version(man i hate that version along with zartan). Really looking foward to next weeks episode. Oh, and i actually really dig ss uniform including his mask.

kneroh
12-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Its on YouTube dude ^^^

You don't really expect someone who's dying to see it to look a whole 4 posts above him do you?

luigi
12-11-2010, 11:58 PM
You don't really expect someone who's dying to see it to look a whole 4 posts above him do you?

yes we do expect him to look 4 post above him

Zartanman
12-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I agree with others, Love The Jinx Design... HATE The SS Design he looks F***ing Goofy.

Over all AWESOME episode. Love the character development on all fronts.

SNAKE EYES
12-12-2010, 12:43 AM
This needs to hurry up and head to youtube quick so I can take a look at it.

YouTube - G.I. Joe Renegades Episode Four Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LszKJHElixM)

YouTube - GIJoe Renegades Episode Four part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Ji7n_zU6M)

Echo7Solo
12-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Just watched. Wow. Best episode so far. I thought the 1st 2 were okay, the Bludd episode I liked, and admittedly, I was looking forward to this 2 parter most. Biased because I am a Storm Shadow fan. Glad the creative team did not write Storm Shadow as some pure evil ninja. That's out of character. Not getting my hopes up, wait and see phase, but I like how he's been written so far.

Wants the Arashikage leadership because he himself is an Arashikage, angry because it seems like Snake Eyes not only killed the Hard Master but stole the Sword Of Arashikage. Maybe Snake Eyes didn't kill Hard Master, but the fact that he and Storm Shadow were not on good terms beforehand does not help.

Wonder which figure will come with the sword. Storm Shadow's design isn't bad, it's a fresh take on the look. Some alterations could make it better but as with all the designs, I still think they aren't permanent, like by later seasons, we'll see them "upgraded" to more "familiar" looks. Well, maybe except for Snake Eyes and Scarlett, Baroness, and Bludd. Or Flint.

Also, I am glad to see Storm Shadow finally having an edge over Snake Eyes. In the DiC cartoons, I was hyped thinking Storm Shadow would KICK.NIGHT CREEPER LEADER's.ASS.

Instead he said "oh no, you will duel with Snake Eyes", implying that Snake Eyes was a better ninja.

YouTube - Oh here go hell come (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4IUgMq0Aw)

I can understand having Snake Eyes being the better commando, but not the better ninja. Storm Shadow historically got the shaft..a LOT in favor of Snake Eyes. Glad to see that this may not be the case in Renegades..well not all the way..as right now it's implied that Storm Shadow is the superior ninja. All is well today.

In Sigma 6..eh...I forgot what happened but that cartoon is not memorable to me aside from the designs(toys kicked ass though). Resolute as we all know, saw Snake Eyes seemingly kill Storm Shadow but Storm Shadow's grave is shown emptied post-credits. So that implies that Storm Shadow inadvertently tricked Snake Eyes into teaching him the 7th step. This is bad ass, but still hate how Storm Shadow was just an evil raging ninja in white in Resolute.

So Renegades is doing the character right so far. Maybe he will live a lie to find the truth, maybe he will go down a conflicted downward spiral, only to find out that Snake Eyes was framed, and couldn't tell him himself that he didn't kill Hard Master, because Storm Shadow threw the shuriken at his throat.

I mean hell the way the ramifications will play out...that will be beast. I have a feeling Storm Shadow will then out of sorrow, join Snake Eyes' side and may end up dying, risking his life for him and Jinx, yet leading the Arashikage the right way. I dunno. The seeds of a possibly great plot have been planted with this episode though.

I agree that Storm Shadow should be the better ninja. I don't think there should be a better ninja in the GI Joe universe than Storm Shadow. What I like most about this is you are not 100% sure if Storm Shadow is bad or just driven.

More super ninjas. :(

I am glad that Storm Shadow is bad. He doesn't care about honor, just respect and power. Egotistical, selfish. Didn't like that the Hard Master was going to make the clan good. Storm Shadow as a hero just never worked for me. Hated it. He makes a better foil for Snake Eyes and a better enemy for the Joes.

Please tell me how there are more "super ninjas"? I mean you will be hard pressed to find somebody who bitches more about ninjas than me but I did not see a single thing in this that made ANYBODY look like a super ninja. I would go as far as to say it made all the ninjas very human.

First off in all 4 episodes so far we see Snake Eyes get smacked around at least 1. From the Bio-Viper to Bludd to Storm Shadow we have seen the most mortal Snake Eyes ever.

Jinx was good but far from a super ninja and Storm Shadow worked as a ninja should. If you have seen better ninja action in any form of GI Joe please tell me. If there is one thing I don't like about it is how many Snake Eyes is teaching.

lol.... wouldn't be shocked.

ha ha.... funny.

I agree with others, Love The Jinx Design... HATE The SS Design he looks F***ing Goofy.

yeah I'm not thrilled with the Storm Shadow mask. The rest of it is not bad

takedown
12-12-2010, 02:34 AM
So the episode was quick, need to watch it 50 more times so it can all sink in... Two things stood out to me.

I think SE is always holding back and I hope he will cut loose next week in full ninja mode.

No, that was a joke. Duke derisively called Jinx a Samurai Suzi, and Scarlett "corrected" him, calling her a "Ninja Nancy."

Nevermind, move along, nothing to see here, already answered.

The other issue was The Soft Master, at least I thought that might be the soft master, had a partial of the Arashikage tattoo on his forehead? Anyone for Avatar, The Last Airbender?

Trooper13
12-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Please tell me how there are more "super ninjas"? I mean you will be hard pressed to find somebody who bitches more about ninjas than me but I did not see a single thing in this that made ANYBODY look like a super ninja. I would go as far as to say it made all the ninjas very human.

First off in all 4 episodes so far we see Snake Eyes get smacked around at least 1. From the Bio-Viper to Bludd to Storm Shadow we have seen the most mortal Snake Eyes ever.

Jinx was good but far from a super ninja and Storm Shadow worked as a ninja should. If you have seen better ninja action in any form of GI Joe please tell me. If there is one thing I don't like about it is how many Snake Eyes is teaching.

The only place I have to agree with Troy are the little moments. The pine cone "trick". So SE can focus his "chi" and destroy objects he doesn't actually touch? Eh, a little too Iron Fist. Though I bet it makes him the least popular guy when it's time to decorate the Christmas tree.

The fact that SE was able to shrug off the effects of SS's first two spikes, yet RB went down in the first shot. So now he's got an enhanced physiology? A little too Wolverine for me. Then again, I bet no one ever takes him out to the bar and says "I'm buying".

So I guess even with the super powers, there's a trade off. :/

Echo7Solo
12-12-2010, 12:06 PM
The only place I have to agree with Troy are the little moments. The pine cone "trick". So SE can focus his "chi" and destroy objects he doesn't actually touch? Eh, a little too Iron Fist. Though I bet it makes him the least popular guy when it's time to decorate the Christmas tree.

The fact that SE was able to shrug off the effects of SS's first two spikes, yet RB went down in the first shot. So now he's got an enhanced physiology? A little too Wolverine for me. Then again, I bet no one ever takes him out to the bar and says "I'm buying".

So I guess even with the super powers, there's a trade off. :/

Yeah the pine cone thing was a bit over the top but lets face facts, it was little more than a cool trick. I mean yeah he can destroy a pine cone like that but Major Bludd still smacks him around like a redheaded stepchild. So in the end yeah it looks all super and everything but have you seen him use it in a real fight?

I look at it like hitting home run after home run in batting practice only to strike out at every at bat in the game. Sure the power is good but doesn't do you a bit of good when going up against real pitching.

As for the darts, well correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it make sense that he could build up a natural immunity to what Storm Shadow used on them through his training? I mean it isn't that far of a stretch.

firefly069
12-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Now that I've had some time to think back on it, I'm loving this origin even more. It pretty much has all of the important points covered.

- Snake Eyes can't speak.
- Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are bitter rivals
- The Hard Master's death drives them apart even more
- Neither one of them is solely responsible for his death

I absolutely love the fact that Storm Shadow appears to be the much more formidable fighter, and the feeling of suspense that was throughout the entire episode was exceptionally well done. When they finally saw that the fuel line was cut? Terrific.

The whole part with Duke attacking Storm Shadow with a sword...I mean, Storm Shadow had Jinx slung over his shoulder, and Duke struck from behind, yet Stormy still basically took care of him within seconds.

I don't see the ninjas really being "superhuman" here. Sure, they're exceptional martial artists, but Snake Eyes isn't exactly destroying everyone in every episode, and while Storm Shadow took care of business, he did sneak attack and use darts.

And honestly...I'm not real worried about the whole ninja angle taking over. Looking at upcoming episodes, there certainly doesn't seem to be much to worry about there. Plus, we still have Destro, Zartan, Scrap Iron, and the Twins to consider. I think we'll get a nice balance.

As an aside, I really liked the military stuff leaking through this ninja storyline, too. The way they maintained the perimeter, and flanked the cabin... pretty well done for a kids cartoon.

I'm still impressed. Absolutely dying to see next week's episode.

Justin

I agreee with all these points. I never liked how storm shadow always got beat by snake eyes. Also, this cartoon is doing the ninja theme tastefully, and keeping it simple. Very well done so far. 4 for 4 on the episodes!!

Snake Shadow09
12-12-2010, 01:02 PM

no. i think ss looks bad a$$!

Troynos
12-12-2010, 03:01 PM

The pinecone thing for one. Bludd really didn't kick SE's ass much at all. SE had total control of that fight until Duke turned the Coyote and SE was knocked down. Round 2 was total SE.

Episode 3, SE diving/running through a hail of fire from both sides.

Jinx kicked the crap out of Tunnel Rat and Duke. SS made short work of all of them, wasn't even a contest.

Too much ninja in the series so far.

Hate that SE has other pupils. The way that Jinx talked, it sounds like there are more out there.

SS is fine, I can handle the one and he should be it. He was raised that way, SE came to it late. That makes a big difference. SS should be able to wipe the floor with SE easily. So Jinx shouldn't be as good as either since it was SE that trained her, also at a late age. SS - SE - Jinx, in that order.

I like the theory that Cobra had the Hard Master killed because the clan was turning over a new leaf and that they had been working together. So that would be how SS works for Cobra, he kept the clan on the evil/bad path and continued to work for Cobra.

But it does set up the possibility for SS to turn good, once it gets revealed that it was Cobra that killed the Hard Master. Not happy about that.

Gotta agree with Trooper about the darts. Sure, it's possible that he worked up an immunity, but Roadblock is a big boy. That has to count for something. He shouldn't have dropped that quickly, where 2 darts should have put SE down right away.

arch2b
12-12-2010, 03:33 PM
i'm hoping it doesn't turn into another ninja series... i like se and ss but i don't want to see a series revolve around them.

Echo7Solo
12-12-2010, 03:45 PM
The pinecone thing for one.
and did that little pine cone trick do him any good in a single fight? I mean for real, it was nothing more than showing off but not worth a damn in pratice unless people are going to stop shooting at him and give him time to prep for it.

Bludd really didn't kick SE's ass much at all. SE had total control of that fight until Duke turned the Coyote and SE was knocked down. Round 2 was total SE.
funny how Major Bludd was able to take advantage of everything and Snake Eyes wasn't. If I had to score the fight yeah the points would go to Snake Eyes but lets face it Bludd did more than hold his own and it proved the "any given sunday" rule.

Episode 3, SE diving/running through a hail of fire from both sides.
and this was due to Ninja skills? So C-3PO and R2-D2 are ninjas because they slowly crossed a hall with fire from both sides and didn't get hit? I guess the A Team and for that everybody they went against are ninjas because I don't recall many people getting hit. Hold on, I guess The Lone Ranger was a ninja too right? Please Troy, had it been Duke the same thing would have happened.... wait it did happen every afternoon after school when we were kids.

Jinx kicked the crap out of Tunnel Rat and Duke. SS made short work of all of them, wasn't even a contest. Did SS face them one on one or did he have the drop on them? It was unexpected and lets just face facts, he was more skilled than any of them. Had Storm Shadow been a sniper and took them out that way would it be acceptable? He did his job. He got the drop on them. Not only did he use skill but his mind.

Too much ninja in the series so far.
Ok, we are 4 episodes in and there is too much ninja? Snake Eyes was the only ninja and was featured about as equally as Duke or Scarlett. Considering he is the most popular of the Joes he is pretty much on par with Batman in Justice League. The first three episodes there was far from too much ninja. Regardless of how you cut it of the Joes that are on the run Snake Eyes has been the best fighter. This is him as a ninja or a commando. By him fighting Snake Eyes, holding his own and getting a few good shots in he is now considered a viable threat to the Joe team.

With episode 4&5 being about Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and NINJAS I kind of have to feel like this is acceptable. I mean lets look at it like this, the three x-men movies had way too much Wolverine. Wolverine had pretty much as much but was ok because it was a movie about him. Get the difference here? It's ok to shine when it is your turn in the light.

Hate that SE has other pupils. The way that Jinx talked, it sounds like there are more out there.
this I agree with. But I want to wait until we get to that bridge before I jump off.

SS is fine, I can handle the one and he should be it. He was raised that way, SE came to it late. That makes a big difference. SS should be able to wipe the floor with SE easily. So Jinx shouldn't be as good as either since it was SE that trained her, also at a late age. SS - SE - Jinx, in that order.
Isn't that the way it is?

But it does set up the possibility for SS to turn good, once it gets revealed that it was Cobra that killed the Hard Master. Not happy about that.
Your opinion. I feel that Storm Shadow is better when more complex. If he isn't then he is just the flip side to Snake Eyes and that is just dull.

[/QUOTE]Gotta agree with Trooper about the darts. Sure, it's possible that he worked up an immunity, but Roadblock is a big boy. That has to count for something. He shouldn't have dropped that quickly, where 2 darts should have put SE down right away.[/QUOTE]

The Princess Bride..... watch it sometime.

Shogi
12-12-2010, 04:53 PM
and this was due to Ninja skills? So C-3PO and R2-D2 are ninjas because they slowly crossed a hall with fire from both sides and didn't get hit? I guess the A Team and for that everybody they went against are ninjas because I don't recall many people getting hit. Hold on, I guess The Lone Ranger was a ninja too right? Please Troy, had it been Duke the same thing would have happened.... wait it did happen every afternoon after school when we were kids.

Didn't you know? John McClain is a fucking Ninja! :D

I liked the episode. I miss the whole Stalker/SE/Tommy relationship storyline and am still not too impressed with the whole street urchin SE idea.

As far as other "old school" dealings with SE's past, I can do without the following:

-Firefly hired to kill Snake Eyes, but then deciding he needed to become part of the Arashikage clan and become the faceless master but then exhibit absolutely no ninja skills and become a sabotuer who specializes in demolitions.

-Cobra Commander wanting to kill SE because CC's drunk brother wound up dead when he wrecked into SE's family on their way to pick SE up from the airport

As for Zartan killing Hard Master, IF we have to have Zartan kill him (Because originally he was hired to kill SE, NOT Hard Master, HM was mistakenly killed) I'm hoping that it is because Cobra hired him so that either A) The Hard Master turning good doesn't spill the beans about them. or B) they can replace the Arashikage leadership with a more ruthless, criminal leader like SS.

Zefram
12-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Mod fight! Mod fight! :D

In any case I finally watched the first 5-10 min I missed when it aired, and it really gives me a sense of how incredibly well paced this show is. They convey an amazing amount of story in a very limited amount of time without it ever feeling like you're being expositioned to death.

Also, again, I like how much expression the animators are able to get from SE. You could tell the animators on ARAH never really knew what to do with a guy who couldn't emote via face or voice, but the director here has it down pat. Little details like how he gently held Scarlet when he took the wheel, or the very precise way he delivers hand signals. It's a shocking amount of subtlety.

I see a lot of back and forth about how invincible or mortal SE should be, and whatever with a pine-cone or how well he really did against Bludd (hint: Bludd was lucky both times) but not as much about how we're finally seeing SE's personality come through in ways it's never been able to before, in comics or animation.

To an extent, I've noticed a lot of subtle expression from all the characters. It's amazing how cutting down on the visual detail has allowed them to increase the movement detail. The animation quality really isn't lower, they just redistributed the effort.

Also, like the little love-dodecahedron they're developing. Jinx seems to have a major crush on SE, and it's obvious in the way she acts toward Scarlet, who herself may end up developing a love/hate thing with Duke. Of course, nobody really knows how SE feels (beyond genuine fondness and loyalty).

Also, as for the "other students", couldn't they just be leaving the door open for Kamakura?

MFJayman
12-12-2010, 05:39 PM
It took a second viewing for the episode to really grow on me. I was annoyed at first that Duke was getting kicked around so much—but I guess I can say the same thing for him as for Major Bludd in the last episode: at least he got back up and came back for more. There’s a lot to be said for sheer tenacity.

As dj7000 mentioned before, a lot of information did seemed to go by pretty quick, and I certainly picked up bits on the second viewing that I missed on the first.
I already miss Cobra (the portrayal of which I love love love in this show), and I’m very curious to see how they are involved in all this Arashikage business. I assume that’ll be shown next episode. I suppose Trooper13 is correct, however, when he says that it’s probably a good thing that we got a little break from Cobra and Flint.

But, if the Arashikage are linked with Cobra, I hope that doesn’t mean that we’ll see hordes of ninjas, hired by Cobra, attacking the Joes in future episodes. I’m all for Cobra utilizing outside military contractors, but that would be a bit much.

I want to see TR be the first to wake up in the burning cabin and have to drag RB out of the place. Hehe.

Unless they are all rescued by a new character. That could be interesting.

Also, I think SE should start carrying around a little notepad and pen, just to clear up any important…misunderstandings.

Trooper13
12-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I have to agree with Zef, here. The pacing of this show has been great. Not too shallow, and quick, but not too slow and done to death. A nice healthy balance of intrigue, and action.

Conversely one of the things I love is how SE's mask, and inability to speak can be a problem. One of the best moments in that whole last episode was when SE controlled his breathing, and RB commented how they hurt his feelings. Then he gased them. Priceless.

WeaponXCustoms
12-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Least favorite episode so far. I dont like the masks on the Ninjas, whats the point of covering your face if your nose is sticking out, because those dont define your face do they? Leaving room for SS to turn good if he finds out Cobra killed his master...on another side maybe he does know and he's just a manipulative basterd who's already working for Cobra. Duke actually got on my nerves for once. I didnt care that Scarlett was SE's Sensei. Jinx I can handle because we already know he has/had Kamakura and this leaves room for him. The whole squad could benefit from the training but this just seems like it'll be used as a reference point for every fight in future episodes. "Hey Roadblock use that kick you learned!" etc, corney. Duke should know what he's doing in hand to hand and should be helping train the others. Anyways, just not a huge fan of this one, but I cant wait to see how they finish this up.

CG76
12-12-2010, 07:14 PM
I enjoyed the episode. I like the pace, story, animation. Although the SE vs SS is becoming a little to repititive. How about something more refreshing?

Trooper13
12-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I enjoyed the episode. I like the pace, story, animation. Although the SE vs SS is becoming a little to repititive. How about something more refreshing?

After that pine cone incident I think SE is gonna get his ass whooped by Smokey the Bear, and Woodsy Owl.

luigi
12-12-2010, 07:19 PM

how bout jinx and red ninjas

07GT500 COBRA
12-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Conversely one of the things I love is how SE's mask, and inability to speak can be a problem. One of the best moments in that whole last episode was when SE controlled his breathing, and RB commented how they hurt his feelings. Then he gased them. Priceless.

That was a cool scene. Someone should edit that for youtube where Snake Eye's holds his breath and then rips a ninja fart and knocks them out. lol

Trooper13
12-12-2010, 09:02 PM
That was a cool scene. Someone should edit that for youtube where Snake Eye's holds his breath and then rips a ninja fart and knocks them out. lol

Hahaha, that'd be freakin awesome.

However, wouldn't a ninja fart be silent, but deadly?

Zefram
12-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Silent but deadly indeed.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Reactions/1124814-data_lmao_super.jpg

Echo7Solo
12-12-2010, 09:06 PM
Didn't you know? John McClain is a fucking Ninja! :D

I liked the episode. I miss the whole Stalker/SE/Tommy relationship storyline and am still not too impressed with the whole street urchin SE idea.

As far as other "old school" dealings with SE's past, I can do without the following:

-Firefly hired to kill Snake Eyes, but then deciding he needed to become part of the Arashikage clan and become the faceless master but then exhibit absolutely no ninja skills and become a sabotuer who specializes in demolitions.

-Cobra Commander wanting to kill SE because CC's drunk brother wound up dead when he wrecked into SE's family on their way to pick SE up from the airport

As for Zartan killing Hard Master, IF we have to have Zartan kill him (Because originally he was hired to kill SE, NOT Hard Master, HM was mistakenly killed) I'm hoping that it is because Cobra hired him so that either A) The Hard Master turning good doesn't spill the beans about them. or B) they can replace the Arashikage leadership with a more ruthless, criminal leader like SS.

All ninjas die hard! yeah I do miss the Stalker/SE/SS friendship.

Mod fight! Mod fight! :D

don't you have a smart ass picture to post? :D

I have to agree with Zef, here. The pacing of this show has been great. Not too shallow, and quick, but not too slow and done to death. A nice healthy balance of intrigue, and action.

yeah Zef is right. Hell, he is right pretty often. That as a cool part too.

Hahaha, that'd be freakin awesome.

However, wouldn't a ninja fart be silent, but deadly?

ha ha... pure win!

Troynos
12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Princess Bride is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Thats alot of immunity that SE has to build up to shrug off 2 of the darts that knock a big guy like Roadblock down in one hit instantly.

I don't like ninjas in G.I. Joe. Never have. Too much in Renegades and we're only 4 episodes in. But then I'm not the primary audience.

MFJayman
12-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I’m no big fan of ninja’s either, for sure, but if kids are as into them as they seem to be, then as I see it, ninjas could serve as a good tool for drawing kids to the show initially, and if they stick around and dig deeper, they’ll discover there are so many more layers and aspects and incarnations to the Joe universe. For that reason, I’m glad they featured these ninja-focused episodes early on.

Echo7Solo
12-13-2010, 12:19 AM

Thats alot of immunity that SE has to build up to shrug off 2 of the darts that knock a big guy like Roadblock down in one hit instantly.

I don't like ninjas in G.I. Joe. Never have. Too much in Renegades and we're only 4 episodes in. But then I'm not the primary audience.

yet Westley can drink enough poison to kill another man within minutes? If you can accept that why wouldn't you be able to accept the possiblity of Snake Eyes doing the same to a less degree?

Shin Densetsu
12-13-2010, 12:35 AM
I’m no big fan of ninja’s either, for sure, but if kids are as into them as they seem to be, then as I see it, ninjas could serve as a good tool for drawing kids to the show initially, and if they stick around and dig deeper, they’ll discover there are so many more layers and aspects and incarnations to the Joe universe. For that reason, I’m glad they featured these ninja-focused episodes early on.

I'm not a kid, but I just hope if more ninjas are brought in, they are implemented well. I hope Renegades is going beyond just trying to sell the respective generation of children on the toys, and is aiming to be a good cartoon, even years later, when these kids grow up. I just want a good cartoon, it's too early to say if it will, but everyone is entitled to think otherwise.

GI Joe cartoons are hit and miss, I just want a good one. Resolute was good, DiC/Sunbow did not age well, and Sigma 6 only had cool designs. As an older fan, it really can't hurt to have a good Joe cartoon, and that is key to making a good media tie in.

People always say "well kids like video games now so it's harder to sell toys", then "toys need a good media tie in to sell". What have video games made strides in during the past couple of years? Storylines. It's to the point where even Lucas is using them to tell what happened before the original Star Wars trilogy(Force Unleashed). Of course there is also Metal Gear Solid, and other notable titles.

So again, I'm hoping that the storyline and character development are emphasized in Renegades. So far the latter seems to be taken into account.

John_0515
12-13-2010, 12:41 AM

Tasteless, odorless, dissolves instantly in liquids.

ero
12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Finally just saw Episode 4. Wow did I hate it. Like, really had a bad reaction to it. Thought it was just another crappy kids cartoon. Perhaps Episode 3, which I thought was excellent, just raised the bar too high, or maybe it just feels like they are rushing into the SE/SS story, but man, it was just an annoying episode. I disliked every character in it and felt zero empathy for these 2-dimensional archetypes (they are RUINING Roadblock with his oafish one-liners). Also, I was bored with the Arashikage story, a normally compelling tale rendered totally stiff. Please, can we try to tell this story without flashbacks? Nuance and ninjas -- they're like PB&J!

Jinx was just OK, but she talks like everybody else, and that is with too much angst in her voice. It seems more apparent in this episode, but I'm hearing--or maybe just noticing more often--Resolute intonation. Bad thing. When everybody makes even the a banal line like May I have a glass of water? sound like Get me a glass of water, motherfucker!, then you're trying too hard. Also, the outfit? Cute, but ... this is Jinx. She doesn't have to look like a sex kitten. She and Storm Shadow have way too much anime influence going into them.

On the plus side, I'm finding Tunnel Rat more endearing. He had some good lines.

Anyway, trying to be articulate about this so as not to induce charges of spewing haterade. It's a 2-parter, so I won't say the cartoon will be crap from here on out, but I will say I look forward to episode 6.

Freedom
12-13-2010, 01:54 PM
I liked Episode 4 especially because there were no Booger-Vipers in it. I could have done without another retelling of the Arashakage origin, but including Snake-Eyes cabin was cool, and making Jinx the daughter of the Hard Master works as well. Poor ol' Soft Master get's left out every time.

What's cool about this version is it appears that Storm Shadow believes that Snake-Eyes killed the Hard Master (unless he's lying.) We haven't had that twist before. In the ther versions, Snake-Eyes always believed that Storm Shadow did it or had something to do with it ala Resolute. And in this version Snake-Eyes fleed the compound to save Jinx and stole the sword to keep it from Storm Shadow, but it makes him look guilty to Storm Shadow.

Both believing the other killed the Hard Master makes for a better feud than Storm Shadow just being a jealous baby like in Resolute. We assume the story will be similar and either Zartan or Firefly will be the actual killer. How will Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow react when they find out the other didn't do it after everything they've done to each other?

Shin Densetsu
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Both believing the other killed the Hard Master makes for a better feud than Storm Shadow just being a jealous baby like in Resolute. We assume the story will be similar and either Zartan or Firefly will be the actual killer. How will Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow react when they find out the other didn't do it after everything they've done to each other?

Agreed!

ero
12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
How will Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow react when they find out the other didn't do it after everything they've done to each other?

I'm guessing a Bolo-like bro hug.

RolandofGilead
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I liked Episode 4 especially because there were no Booger-Vipers in it. I could have done without another retelling of the Arashakage origin, but including Snake-Eyes cabin was cool, and making Jinx the daughter of the Hard Master works as well. Poor ol' Soft Master get's left out every time.

What's cool about this version is it appears that Storm Shadow believes that Snake-Eyes killed the Hard Master (unless he's lying.) We haven't had that twist before. In the ther versions, Snake-Eyes always believed that Storm Shadow did it or had something to do with it ala Resolute. And in this version Snake-Eyes fleed the compound to save Jinx and stole the sword to keep it from Storm Shadow, but it makes him look guilty to Storm Shadow.

That's why it's a great twist with a lot of story potential. They tried to do a little of this in the comics where SE and Soft Master believed for years that Storm Shadow had killed the Hard Master.

The only trouble is that we don't really know if Storm Shadow is lying. With Resolute muddying the waters of Storm Shadow's character, I don't know if this will be the same honorable man who would always be Snake Eyes sword brother.

He clearly preferred the old ways and had no use for honor or integrity as seen in this first part.

General Hawk
12-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I think the way they've twisted the origin around is actually pretty cool. Regardless of whether or not Snake Eyes killed the Hard Master, Storm Shadow still has this deep seeded resentment of him.

Regardless of whether Storm Shadow killed the Hard Master, he tore out Snake Eye's throat with a throwing star, making it so he cannot speak. Even if he didn't kill the Hard Master, Snake Eyes still has some valid reasons to be against him.

Kind of a cool twist, I think.

Justin

Snake Shadow09
12-14-2010, 10:36 PM
How will Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow react when they find out the other didn't do it after everything they've done to each other?

Hopefully they will fight along side each other. wow that would be totally bad a$$.

firefly069
12-14-2010, 11:45 PM
I think the way they've twisted the origin around is actually pretty cool. Regardless of whether or not Snake Eyes killed the Hard Master, Storm Shadow still has this deep seeded resentment of him.

Regardless of whether Storm Shadow killed the Hard Master, he tore out Snake Eye's throat with a throwing star, making it so he cannot speak. Even if he didn't kill the Hard Master, Snake Eyes still has some valid reasons to be against him.

Kind of a cool twist, I think.

Justin

Totally agree with this. I hope that even if Storm Shadow finds out that they are still enemies. I don't like Storm Shadow as a good character. That was the problem with Marvel, every cool villain turned good at one point: Destro, Baroness, Zartan and Storm Shadow. I hope it's not this way in Renegades.

Zefram
12-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Totally agree with this. I hope that even if Storm Shadow finds out that they are still enemies. I don't like Storm Shadow as a good character. That was the problem with Marvel, every cool villain turned good at one point: Destro, Baroness, Zartan and Storm Shadow. I hope it's not this way in Renegades.

I wouldn't say Destro and baroness turned "good", he was still a friggin' arms dealer. That's what's called character growth, and separates a dynamic character from a static one.

MeLikeJinx
12-16-2010, 12:05 AM
I made my nephew watch the first episode of Renegades, but it didn't go down so well. LOL. But thanks to the Ninja episode my nephew likes Renegades now... he kept asking me all kinds of stuff about SE when I saw him. I thought this would be so cool... but only like the first 2 questions were cool... the next ten or so questions about SE he kept asking me were not as cool. LOL.

Kids like ninjas; ninja = jedi.

RenHoek
12-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Kids like ninjas; ninja = jedi.

Little kids=annoying. :)

Shin Densetsu
12-16-2010, 12:36 AM

Well with Storm Shadow, unlike the other 3, he didn't actually commit acts of evil. So for him at least, it never made sense for him to stick with Cobra forever.

Making him a purely evil ninja for Renegades is like turning Snake Eyes into a guy who talks as much as Bumblebee from TF Animated and knows jiu jitsu in lieu of ninjutsu. That isn't Snake Eyes, and a purely evil Storm Shadow isn't Storm Shadow to me. Purely evil one is nothing more than a generic evil ninja clad in white because Snake Eyes is clad in black, and that whole implied "yin/yang" I SEE WHAT U DID THAR homage.

I wouldn't say Destro and baroness turned "good", he was still a friggin' arms dealer. That's what's called character growth, and separates a dynamic character from a static one.

Agreed.

Lifeline 71
12-16-2010, 09:14 AM
What I really liked about this episode were the subtle homages to the Marvel issues: the cabin in the woods, the candles getting cut, and SS stopping the sword from behind with his bare hands. I know there's a lot of mixed feelings about this new 'toon, but it's a breath of fresh air compared to its Sigma 6 predecessor.

Snake Shadow09
12-16-2010, 12:14 PM
is there a preview for episode 5 yet?

kennywr22
12-16-2010, 12:34 PM
There has been a preview commercial showing all week for episode 5.doesn't show too much new stuff but does show ss and se fighting in what looks like a big fight. Should be sweet. Really curious for the preview for episode 6 after the show. Wondering if cobra is going after Duke, who are they sending? Bio vipers or maybe cobra troopers? Hoping for some type of trooper and not Bio vipers. Don't hate bio's but want to see something new.

General Hawk
12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
There has been a preview commercial showing all week for episode 5.doesn't show too much new stuff but does show ss and se fighting in what looks like a big fight. Should be sweet. Really curious for the preview for episode 6 after the show. Wondering if cobra is going after Duke, who are they sending? Bio vipers or maybe cobra troopers? Hoping for some type of trooper and not Bio vipers. Don't hate bio's but want to see something new.

When have you seen it air, Kenny? I've been DVR'ing all week and haven't seen it yet.

Justin

txbart
12-16-2010, 01:04 PM
sorry, wrong thread

kennywr22
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
I saw it right after the show first. Then I've seen it throughout the week during different shows in the evening. It shows ss and se fighting on like a tree log and se is all torn up. Most of it shows scenes from the first episode with just a little from part 2. I was wondering why no video for it on your site.lol.one of them, I think ss is using a chain and sickle type weapon.

Snake Shadow09
12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
need to see this preview for episode 5!

firefly069
12-16-2010, 03:02 PM

I understand what you are saying about character growth, but I liked Destro and Baroness as part of Cobra. I like when the joes have formidable enemies, and the more powerful cobra is, I think it makes for a better story!

firefly069
12-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Well with Storm Shadow, unlike the other 3, he didn't actually commit acts of evil. So for him at least, it never made sense for him to stick with Cobra forever.

Making him a purely evil ninja for Renegades is like turning Snake Eyes into a guy who talks as much as Bumblebee from TF Animated and knows jiu jitsu in lieu of ninjutsu. That isn't Snake Eyes, and a purely evil Storm Shadow isn't Storm Shadow to me. Purely evil one is nothing more than a generic evil ninja clad in white because Snake Eyes is clad in black, and that whole implied "yin/yang" I SEE WHAT U DID THAR homage.

Agreed.

I agree about your point in renegades that he was a winy evil character with no personality. I thought that went a little too far. I think having him turn to the Joes side is also going to far. I prefer somewhere in the middle. Where he works for Cobra sometime but also has somewhat of a conscious.

You all know what a ninja is, these are not "good" people. They generally kill people, and that is why I think he should not totally turn good.

n., pl., ninja, or -jas.
A member of a class of 14th-century Japanese mercenary agents who were trained in the martial arts and hired for covert operations such as assassination and sabotage.

Monkeywrench
12-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Part 2 is tomorrow! I can't wait

General Hawk
12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
is there a preview for episode 5 yet?

YouTube - G.I. Joe: Renegades Episode 5 Promo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qKymuVGqM)

Thumbs UP.

Zefram
12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
YouTube - G.I. Joe: Renegades Episode 5 Promo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qKymuVGqM)

Thumbs UP.

This oughta scratch anyone with an itchin' for nin-jin.

Snake Shadow09
12-16-2010, 11:03 PM

Thumbs UP.

thanks mate! looks so dam epic.

Snake Shadow09
12-17-2010, 05:51 AM
i cant get over how awesome that clip for episode 5 is! unreal.

Zablorg
12-18-2010, 08:50 AM
A small question after watching the episode; the photo with Snake-Eyes was taken by Breaker, right? Otherwise there wouldn't be much reason for it to be exclusively on his blog. I just ask because the rest of the photos were pretty obviously from the pharmacy footage. And if it was pharmacy footage, it probably would have been released to the press already, right? The people watching it would have been able to see Snake Eyes moving in the background there, or something.

dmizrok
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
What the Hell is up with SS pulling a PLETHORA of weapons out? a bow and arrows, HUGELY long chain...etc... Then the chain hook thing that Scarlett brings to the waterfall, suddenly is about a 1/2 mile long, so it can save SE ass?

Blue Ninja
12-18-2010, 01:03 PM
What the Hell is up with SS pulling a PLETHORA of weapons out? a bow and arrows, HUGELY long chain...etc... Then the chain hook thing that Scarlett brings to the waterfall, suddenly is about a 1/2 mile long, so it can save SE ass?

Ninja were known for their skill at carrying concealed weapons. The shoge was a bit of a stretch with the length of chain, but theoretically possible.

I believe the bow and arrows were stashed in the tree.

But, I have to agree with you on the kusara gamma. That chain got really really long at the end.

dmizrok
12-18-2010, 03:13 PM
...it was cool though, that SE was about to jig Scarlett in the neck; very mature for a toon...liked the episode alot, just saddened that SS/SE origin cant follow the comics...at least SS THINKS SE killed the master, and not that SS did it...

Gatchaman
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
But, I have to agree with you on the kusara gamma. That chain got really really long at the end.

Maybe the chain got very excited.