PDA

View Full Version : Car Question

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
My oil light came intermittently since monday, a few hundred miles short of my oil change, and I figured I'd wait a day or two since I didn't have a day off and last night the car started rumbling loud and just stopped while I was driving. I checked the oil and it was low, so I walked to WM and bought some oil and waited a few and tried to start it up. It turned over, but as soon as I let off the gas it died and smoked.

Today I walked back to where it was and the arm that pumps the piston was hanging down. I took it out and it was snapped. There was also a rod, likely the rod through the piston which connects to that arm. There were some other shredded metal pieces under the car too.

I know I did more damage by driving the car the half mile or so back home, but my question is, how much damage is likely done? Could I be lucky enough to only need one piston and assembly replaced? Did I likely crack a cylinder? Are more pistons likely damaged too?

I can buy a new piston and arm and stuff on eBay for around $100 and have a friends dad who works at a garage and is ok with me bringing my own parts, but is it even worth it?

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 06:29 PM
start looking at a new engine.l you just fried yours. sorry man. but check the wreak yards, they make used rebuilts with 30-60 day warranties for reasonable. I was able to get one for my 94 ranger for 700 bucks and this is in california.
if your rod is broke and your arm this means the piston wall on at least one cylinder is fuc*ed up. Since your pistons work in a pattern by throwing it off when one snapped this means realisticaly all are jacked too. Its going to cost you more to rebuild this one then it will to buy a new engine.

future lesson, keep a quart of oil in your trunk. if the oil light comes on it means its low and pull over and drop it in.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 06:30 PM
start looking at a new engine.l you just fried yours. sorry man. but check the wreak yards, they make used rebuilts with 30-60 day warranties for reasonable. I was able to get one for my 94 ranger for 700 bucks and this is in california.
if your rod is broke and your arm this means the piston wall on at least one cylinder is fuc*ed up. Since your pistons work in a pattern by throwing it off when one snapped this means realisticaly all are jacked too. Its going to cost you more to rebuild this one then it will to buy a new engine.

future lesson, keep a quart of oil in your trunk. if the oil light comes on it means its low and pull over and drop it in.

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Exactly what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

besides labor to drop another engine in is alot less money then a rebuild.

WeaponXCustoms
12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
omg im so sorry man, its definetly toast though that cylinder walls going to be shot like BikerBoy said not to mention all the extra metal parts inside that are broken and were flailing around in there. Try to get a replacement motor if you can, and good luck :-/

manicmotive
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Dang, sorry man. Not really a good time of year to blow a motor.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Dang, sorry man. Not really a good time of year to blow a motor.

Well I'm in AZ, so its still 70, lol. I found salvaged motors on eBay from 525-900 shipped. I don't know what I'll be getting though, so I'm kinda leery of it.

PitViper
12-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Wait, how did you see the piston rod? You had to have done some disassembly...what kind of car is it?

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Wait, how did you see the piston rod? You had to have done some disassembly...what kind of car is it?

ive blown a motor before where the top of the block came off and you can see the rod and such. it can be done :(

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Well I'm in AZ, so its still 70, lol. I found salvaged motors on eBay from 525-900 shipped. I don't know what I'll be getting though, so I'm kinda leery of it.

crack open your yellow pages and look under vehicle dismantlers and recyclers. you should be able to keep it local with a long block and have a warranty. Just a thought :)

manicmotive
12-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Oh, guess I'm just used to all the ice and snow up here.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Hmm, maybe that's not what it was then. Whatever it was, it was hanging out from the bottom of the car so I wiggled it loose. Maybe that's not what it is. There was a thing that looked like a wrench and another thing that looked like a socket wrench extender, so I googled piston and saw something that looked just like them.

PitViper
12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
ive blown a motor before where the top of the block came off and you can see the rod and such. it can be done :(

That's what I was assuming but I didn't think he did that...wow that thing was shot!

The only time I've seen that was in a friend's 9 second Camaro after a race.

Damn Ruckus...been watching the ol' Smokey and the Bandit a bit?!

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 07:51 PM
That's what I was assuming but I didn't think he did that...wow that thing was shot!

The only time I've seen that was in a friend's 9 second Camaro after a race.

Damn Ruckus...been watching the ol' Smokey and the Bandit a bit?!

the piston can shoot out the top or bottom of the block depending on the engine. there are cases of both.
but yeah this was an FZ-600 that i blew it out of.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 07:52 PM
the piston can shoot out the top or bottom of the block depending on the engine. there are cases of both.
but yeah this was an FZ-600 that i blew it out of.

Mine was out of the bottom. The pieces were covered in oil and there were some oil spots, so I'm assuming those are what I found and that I blew out the bottom of the engine.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 07:53 PM
crack open your yellow pages and look under vehicle dismantlers and recyclers. you should be able to keep it local with a long block and have a warranty. Just a thought :)

Thanks, it's a 97 and I only paid 1000 for it, so I might just buy a newer car instead. Sucks because I just bought it in September.

PitViper
12-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I dunno, I'm not saying it isn't a piston rod or push rod or something..it def could be but I'm not sold 100% on that...yet.

It's a 97 what...make and model?

mister-x
12-10-2010, 08:02 PM

TRUE! i've cut an oil pan in 1/2 with a rod.....

Thanks, it's a 97 and I only paid 1000 for it, so I might just buy a newer car instead. Sucks because I just bought it in September.

sucks to happen so soon, and now...
but this is your best bet...

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 08:04 PM
I dunno, I'm not saying it isn't a piston rod or push rod or something..it def could be but I'm not sold 100% on that...yet.

It's a 97 what...make and model?

Saturn SC2.

WeaponXCustoms
12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
@ Pitviper I think he's on track here I blew up the motor in my Buick and the rod went right through the bottom end scarred the shit out of me when it happened too. Sounded like a grenade went off in front of me. I pulled over and the poor carbuerator had thick grey smoke puffing out of it, and then it stopped...like a dying animal.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 08:09 PM
@ Pitviper I think he's on track here I blew up the motor in my Buick and the rod went right through the bottom end scarred the shit out of me when it happened too. Sounded like a grenade went off in front of me. I pulled over and the poor carbuerator had thick grey smoke puffing out of it, and then it stopped...like a dying animal.

My smoke was white, and it wasn't as loud, but yeah. Pretty close to what happened to me.

In fact, I checked the oil a few minutes after stopping and smoke was coming out of the dipstick hole. I was hoping it would catch fire, because that would be a great story, but it didn't.

PitViper
12-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Like Biker said, if it needs a new engine I'm sure you can pick one up at a junk yard relatively cheap.

If you guys were smart like me you'd be cruising around in that new 6000 SUX...yeah Clarence Boddicker got me one, we're smooth like that.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Like in Robocop? lol.

PitViper
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Like in Robocop? lol.

Just like in Robocop!...It's even gotta Blaupunkt in it like that stupid mayor wanted!

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 08:21 PM

is there anything else wrong with the car besides an engine? if you have to drop 700 on an engine plus another 300 in labor and there are no other problems then it may be better then getting another 1000 dollar car with a list of new problems.
food for thought.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Ok, so say I find an engine, do I just get it to my mechanic's and have him drop it in for me? How much would this cost? I'm trying to weigh out whether to try and salvage this sumbitch or just cut my losses.

RuckusJr
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
is there anything else wrong with the car besides an engine? if you have to drop 700 on an engine plus another 300 in labor and there are no other problems then it may be better then getting another 1000 dollar car with a list of new problems.
food for thought.

It was running just fine until literally 5 minutes before it died. I was trying to get it to Walmart for some oil. I think there may need to be some break work down the road, but overall it was in good shape.

bluebikerboy1
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Ok, so say I find an engine, do I just get it to my mechanic's and have him drop it in for me? How much would this cost? I'm trying to weigh out whether to try and salvage this sumbitch or just cut my losses.

depends on the mechanic. call around to a few shops and ask for straight labor for a switch out.

shoot you can hit craigslist and find licensed mobile mechanics that will charge less then a shop.