PDA

View Full Version : Need advice proper storage for GI Joe toys. Vintage modern all eras

Joecom
12-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Hey fellow Tankers, I need advice and help with anyone who has experience or anyone that has any idea of when it comes to storing toys. Whether it be vintage modern etc. Personally I've had to store vintage vehicles in the attic do to space constrictions over the last 6 years. I've noticed some of the vehicles have become brittle I think. Example of what happened I opened my vintage Rattler canopy and the hinges snapped off now I don't know if it was already brittle prior to putting it in the attic or not. When I store my stuff in the attic it is stored in sealed up boxes or plastic storage containers and most of the stuff is in zip lock bags inside the boxes. It does not get any colder then the teens to low twenty's in the winter and no hotter then ninety's in the summers hottest days. So my main question is this am I better off storing the modern in the attic or am I better off storing the vintage in the attic which would be more weather resistant. I will say this from experience I had some Playmates carded Star Trek The Next Generation figures in the attic for 8 years and non of them suffered any affects that I know of.

I forgot to mention my attic is a walk in attic it has windows I open in the summer months and there are roof vents.

allen dane
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
NO HEAT! your attic is the hottest part of your home. it is where your home vents out all the contained heat in the summer. air tight or not. Plastic suffers irreversible oil breakdown. then the plastic becomes more like model plastic. and the toys' hinges just break.

Joecom
12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I figured heat is dangerous. Do you know if the newer stuff would get ruined?

KushViper
12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
NO HEAT! your attic is the hottest part of your home. it is where your home vents out all the contained heat in the summer. air tight or not. Plastic suffers irreversible oil breakdown. then the plastic becomes more like model plastic. and the toys' hinges just break.

This! Extreme heat, cold and dryness can really screw you. Climate control is the collector's best friend.

KushViper
12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
I figured heat is dangerous. Do you know if the newer stuff would get ruined?

yeah, same thing.

Joecom
12-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah this sucks the problem with being a collector and not having any room :(

KushViper
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I'll happily store all of your vintage figures for ya!

Joecom
12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Sure I'll send them right over :D

So does anyone know how long it takes for the plastic to get affected?

GeneralxRon
12-09-2010, 08:12 PM
my collection is stored in the garage now...:(

sirt8669
12-09-2010, 08:34 PM
The heat can also warp shit, like the cards. If you have any carded Joes there, the cardboard will bend, thats not fun.

KushViper
12-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Sure I'll send them right over :D

So does anyone know how long it takes for the plastic to get affected?

I'm not so sure it's about how long but more the changes in temp. When the temp goes up and down the oils in the plastic go thru trauma. The more the temp changes the weaker and uglier the plastic becomes. Hope this helps.

Joecom
12-09-2010, 08:54 PM
The heat can also warp shit, like the cards. If you have any carded Joes there, the cardboard will bend, thats not fun.

I was thinking that it hasn't happened yet. I've ha carded Joe vs Cobra figures up there for 6 years and they look perfectly fine. So I don't know if that would be a time issue?

Joecom
12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm not so sure it's about how long but more the changes in temp. When the temp goes up and down the oils in the plastic go thru trauma. The more the temp changes the weaker and uglier the plastic becomes. Hope this helps.

Alright that helps. Again though does it matter if the temp changes are rapid or slow? Cause were talking year round so the temp change is gradual.

Do you think it helps if everything is in plastic containers?

KushViper
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Joes are just like beer or wine in this regard. If it gets cold, then hot, then cold, then hot etc. you will damage the plastic, especially vehicles. I don't think whether the temp change is gradual or fast makes much difference.

I can't imagine that plastic containers would do anything to help the process besides keeping the toys dry. I would stay on the safe side and get that shit outa your attic.

Joecom
12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Alright thanks for the input KushViper, very helpful :)