PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Renegades= Transformers Animated Of GI Joe

Shin Densetsu
12-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm getting the same vibe from Renegades that I got from Transformers Animated. While I am still warming up to Renegades, TF Animated won me over and I enjoyed it a great deal. I can only hope the same will happen as I see more episodes of Renegades.

Renegades just feels familiar, like a TF Animated version of GI Joe. Maybe because Isenberg has a hand in writing it.

Immortal_Joker
12-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I concur

Zefram
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
In before "animated sux" comments! :D

In all seriousness, I loved Animated, art style be damned, so bringing that level of win to Joe was a great move IMHO. Hopefully they keep it going long enough to build a fully realized mythology of its own.

soundwavempl
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I agree. I am really enjoying GI Joe Renegades much more than TF Prime.

In fact, I wish they would have just continued with TF Animated instead of doing TF Prime.

facehammer
12-08-2010, 07:26 PM

In fact, I wish they would have just continued with TF Animated instead of doing TF Prime.

Well said. I really miss TF Animated. Show and toys. (wish they'd put season 3 out on dvd...)

Shin Densetsu
12-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Don't know if I like Animated more than PRIME, but I do like PRIME more than Renegades.

Well said. I really miss TF Animated. Show and toys. (wish they'd put season 3 out on dvd...)

Same here, the toys in particular, are GREAT of examples of engineering advances on Haskaromy's part.

ChaplainAsst
12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Loved the story of Animated. I agree, just as the animation didn't match the storytelling in TF:A, Renegades animation isn't quite what I would hope for - but the story isn't bad at all. So far, my biggest issue with TF:P is that it is a little dark to watch with my son. TF:A never felt that dark. I had really hoped Prime would be sort of in the same universe as Animated, but that is clearly not happening. I actually like the animation of TF:A better. Prime's animation is a little too CG for me.

Monkeywrench
12-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I never watched TFA

Shin-Gouki
12-08-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm getting the same vibe from Renegades that I got from Transformers Animated. While I am still warming up to Renegades, TF Animated won me over and I enjoyed it a great deal. I can only hope the same will happen as I see more episodes of Renegades.

Renegades just feels familiar, like a TF Animated version of GI Joe. Maybe because Isenberg has a hand in writing it.

Just like TF Animated I like the story and HATE the art direction.

Shin Densetsu
12-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Just like TF Animated I like the story and HATE the art direction.

Just like TF Animated however, hopefully the toys are cool.

General Hawk
12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I dunno... in a way, perhaps. But actually, I think Renegades is at least a little more...I dunno? Mature? I seem to remember a lot more slapstick humor and such in TF: Animated, not to mention wildly unrealistic exaggerated poses and facial expressions.

Don't get me wrong, I love TF: Animated as well, but Renegades seems to have a more serious, realistic tone, at least so far.

Justin

WeaponXCustoms
12-08-2010, 09:43 PM
...?

I think GiJoe Renegades is very cool, and I liked TFA...similiar? Not in my book.

Shin Densetsu
12-09-2010, 01:57 AM
...?

I think GiJoe Renegades is very cool, and I liked TFA...similiar? Not in my book.

They feel similar to me. They both had storylines that could appeal to older and younger audiences.

Also, Duke & Flint's dynamic reminds me of Optimus and Sentinel. If something tragic happens to Lady Jaye later, increasing the rivalry between Duke and Flint, it's a deadringer for Elita 1/Black Arachnia from Animated.

Zefram
12-09-2010, 02:15 AM
They feel similar to me. They both had storylines that could appeal to older and younger audiences.

Also, Duke & Flint's dynamic reminds me of Optimus and Sentinel. If something tragic happens to Lady Jaye later, increasing the rivalry between Duke and Flint, it's a deadringer for Elita 1/Black Arachnia from Animated.

I hope not. They took a lot of stick over how they never had a female transformer that didn't have something horrible happen to her. Given how the response to Lady Jaye's death in the Devil's Due book went, it could end up being a serious (fan)base-breaker.

Shin Densetsu
12-09-2010, 02:18 AM
I hope not. They took a lot of stick over how they never had a female transformer that didn't have something horrible happen to her. Given how the response to Lady Jaye's death in the Devil's Due book went, it could end up being a serious (fan)base-breaker.

Yea but if Lady Jaye remained alive, like Elita 1 did(as Black Arachnia), who knows. In that case, I think the character's circumstances serve the story better, compared to LJ's death in the DDP books.

Bujo
12-09-2010, 05:31 PM

I don't know Renegades feels more like A-Team: Animated to me.

OK. Note to self: Be weary of Devil's Due GI JOE. Stop reading before they kill Lady Jay.

Viperscout 7
12-09-2010, 06:15 PM
too early to tell but so far I like the story and don't care for the art just like TFA but after a while TFA art style grew on me and the storyline for the end of season 2 into season 3 was amazing and well written just how I felt about Beast wars

senorvandal
12-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Big fan of TF:Animated even though i wrote off the show when i first saw the art direction. But after catching a few episodes i was hooked. That's all the reason i gave Renegades a chance even though i'm not really a fan of the stylized animation. So far i haven't been disappointed and the show seems to be picking up some traction.

Shin-Gouki
12-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Big fan of TF:Animated even though i wrote off the show when i first saw the art direction. But after catching a few episodes i was hooked. That's all the reason i gave Renegades a chance even though i'm not really a fan of the stylized animation. So far i haven't been disappointed and the show seems to be picking up some traction.

Exactly how I felt about TFA and Why I gave Renegades a chance, and despite the horrible character designs I am digging the story.

azoric
12-15-2010, 12:42 AM
I liked Animated more than TF Prime

Also, think that Renegades, isn't half bad. decent character development and not nearly as cheesy as the original and no annoying kids!

r3v3n63
12-15-2010, 04:45 AM
I just got o watch up to part 3 of the new TF series and was very impressed with it. I remember Hasbro saying that the new series were going to be a compromise between the high action they expect kids to want to see and good scripting/dialogue that older fans want wrapped up in a progressive story line rather then going episodic. So far I am enjoying both stories a lot.
One of the things I like about TF was how they introduced the situation. It didn't start with an origin but rather just threw you into the story and explained things as they went. It kept the action and pace up in my opinion. I'm also getting a vibe of a mixing of the Bay movies and TF Animated, sorta keeping the things I liked from both without getting all Jar-Jar on us.
With Joes this is a very new approach as the heroes are the underdogs. I'm used to seeing the Joes with a massive presence that is equal to or greater then anything Cobra can throw at them, this time it feels like they have to be much smarter, frugal and cunning. Cobra is way more of a threat this time as well as they seem to have nearly achieved the plans for global domination. Cobra is everywhere and part of everything, insidiously sneaking into every ones lives making it nearly imposable to tell friend from foe. Also the characters have their own strengths and weaknesses as does their training which makes watching them grow more of a treat.
I love story telling and while not all may like the latest incarnation their favored universe has taken hopefully that wont stop people from enjoying a good tale, so far I'm hooked.

senorvandal
12-15-2010, 12:44 PM
And what about those rumors that Dr. Mindbender used to work for Sumdac Industries under the alias Henry Masterson?

Veedox
12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I totally agree, I was thinking the exact same thing.

On the flip side, Transformers Prime leaves me flat, very, very boring. Also cannot get past the poor CGI animation and despite Cullen and Welker, the voice work doesn't work for me.

Zefram
12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
I totally agree, I was thinking the exact same thing.

On the flip side, Transformers Prime leaves me flat, very, very boring. Also cannot get past the poor CGI animation and despite Cullen and Welker, the voice work doesn't work for me.

Okay, I'll bite, can you name a animated series with superior CGI?

Also, I dare say anything with Susan Blu or Andrea Romano's name on it is going to be well-acted, no exceptions. This is not opinion, but scientifically quantifiable fact proven by scientists.... somewhere.

Veedox
12-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes - Star Wars - Clone Wars.

Transformers Prime has very plain or poorly textured backgrounds and stiff movements to the characters.

Maybe I should say that I think the voices chosen for some characters don't work for me, I guess the acting is fine... Maybe it's the script that's bad. Cullen as Prime in this seemingly spouts one liners most of the time, contrast with the original Sunbow series and you will see what I mean.

Also, I dare say anything with Susan Blu or Andrea Romano's name on it is going to be well-acted, no exceptions. This is not opinion, but scientifically quantifiable fact proven by scientists.... somewhere.

Shin Densetsu
12-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Admittedly, when I saw the 1st trailers of PRIME, I thought Beast Wars had better CG. As for US cartoons...there are a few examples...but if we are going to talk cartoons including anime....

Zefram
12-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes - Star Wars - Clone Wars.

Transformers Prime has very plain or poorly textured backgrounds and stiff movements to the characters.

Okay, I'll give you that one, but I think the available budget in both needs to be taken into account. Star Wars = Infinity +1.

Admittedly, when I saw the 1st trailers of PRIME, I thought Beast Wars had better CG. As for US cartoons...there are a few examples...but if we are going to talk cartoons including anime....

I hope you weren't about to pull Appleseed: Ex Machina out of somewhere, were you? >_>; If there is an actual CGI TV series (direct to video doesn't count either) over there that looks better than Prime, then you absolutely have my interest. Come to think of it, if they made a Gundam series as good as Prime I'd be all over that. Might breath some new life into that franchise too.

But back to Prime, I think people might be letting the simplified character designs (especially the faces, which even I will admit look better in 2D), color their impressions of the actual animation and direction. Beast Wars tended to go a bit wild with the aerial pans (as did all CGI at the time, it was like, "Woo! Look what freeeedooom we have now!", before it got old) while Prime seems to try and keep most of the action from the perspective of the characters the scene is focusing upon, which was used to pretty incredible effect in the hallway fight. Something I'll grudgingly give credit to Michael Bay for.

jeff_duke
12-21-2010, 08:36 PM
But back to Prime, I think people might be letting the simplified character designs (especially the faces, which even I will admit look better in 2D), color their impressions of the actual animation and direction. Beast Wars tended to go a bit wild with the aerial pans (as did all CGI at the time, it was like, "Woo! Look what freeeedooom we have now!", before it got old) while Prime seems to try and keep most of the action from the perspective of the characters the scene is focusing upon, which was used to pretty incredible effect in the hallway fight. Something I'll grudgingly give credit to Michael Bay for.

I would love to see the Constructicons in Transformers Prime. I am not sure how that would be possible, however, given the current direction of focusing on a few select characters.

Shin Densetsu
12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
I would love to see the Constructicons in Transformers Prime. I am not sure how that would be possible, however, given the current direction of focusing on a few select characters.

The direction is focus on a few then branch out. This was the same method done in TF Animated and the one being done in Renegades. We are definitely going to see more cons and bots.

Speaking of which, the way the Constructicons were handled in TF Animated was awesome and hilarious. Only appeared in a few episodes, but enough for fans to want toys of them.

Echo7Solo
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I never watched TFA

Same here. I know GI Joe and Transformers have been connected for years as they came on back to back in the 80's, they were the two top dogs in toys back then and Marvel combined the two in the comis. For some reason people keep putting them back together or speaking of them in the same breath but I just don't like to combine the two.

Shin Densetsu
12-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Same here. I know GI Joe and Transformers have been connected for years as they came on back to back in the 80's, they were the two top dogs in toys back then and Marvel combined the two in the comis. For some reason people keep putting them back together or speaking of them in the same breath but I just don't like to combine the two.

Aside from using some of the same creative team members, TF Animated is similar to Renegades. Why they are spoken of in the same breath is because they are Hasbro's own action figure brands.