PDA

View Full Version : When are the Gi-Joe Renegades toys coming out?

sevreed
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Has Hasbro said yet?

The Commander
12-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd guess we'll hear something at Joecon this coming year

kennywr22
12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I would hope some news at toy fair in February.

Steel Brigade
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
The word is Fall 2011, but I would expect Summer should have some Renegades goodies...

Clem
12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Do us a favor, ask a lot and often :)

SH0CKWAVE
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Do us a favor, ask a lot and often :)

will do!

i want em all... especially Baroness... and a truly dead Ripcord.

;)

MFJayman
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm really looking forward to a Renegades Major Bludd. As a kid, Major Bludd was near the bottom of my wish list. Not any more.

Shin Densetsu
12-07-2010, 12:54 AM
The word is Fall 2011, but I would expect Summer should have some Renegades goodies...

Realistically, late July-August at earliest.

Snake Eyes-Joe Ninja
12-07-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd rather just keep getting more POC stuff, at least it's modeled in ways that it can be put with my 25th collection.

Snow_Serpent
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM
They'll probably bump the line for GI Joe 2 product. :)

Zefram
12-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I'd rather just keep getting more POC stuff, at least it's modeled in ways that it can be put with my 25th collection.

We've already had Hasbro confirm Renegades figs will be modeled in the same realistic style the PoC figs are.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

Snake Shadow09
12-08-2010, 01:45 AM
we will see pics at toy fair 2011 in feb!

Snake Shadow09
12-08-2010, 01:46 AM
We've already had Hasbro confirm Renegades figs will be modeled in the same realistic style the PoC figs are.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

i hope not.

MFJayman
12-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I'd love to see a wave of all troop builders prior to transitioning into Renegades. Maybe a revamped, POC-ified greenshirt reminiscent of the Renegades greenshirts we've seen, and hey, how about a new Cobra Officer? Then a Viper or two...whatever.

knoxvelour
12-08-2010, 10:20 PM
I hope they make Duke, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes!

Snake Shadow09
12-09-2010, 05:47 AM
I hope they make Duke, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes!

are you being serious?

CrimsonGuard101
12-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Hopefully be delayed so more POC can come out... :)

dj7000
12-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Ridiculous we have to wait a year for this stuff to come out. POC is a wasted line. great sculpts, but so unecessary. Poc 4 will be done soon, so there will be a 9 month lull until new figs come out? So we'll basically be into season 2 before we see new figures. Piss poor marketing again by hasbro.

MFJayman
12-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Ridiculous we have to wait a year for this stuff to come out. POC is a wasted line. great sculpts, but so unecessary. Poc 4 will be done soon, so there will be a 9 month lull until new figs come out? So we'll basically be into season 2 before we see new figures. Piss poor marketing again by hasbro.

IMO, it's crucial to have the toys out while the show is airing. As a kid, watching the cartoon would get me excited to go play with the toys or go buy new ones, which in turn would get me geared up for a new episode...it was a virtuous circle.

KingBiohazerd
12-09-2010, 06:36 AM
All I know is I hope they make major blood and is car that car was awesome

Hicks_Royel
12-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Blood's car reminded me of what might happen if the Iron Man 2/Armored Adventures 4WD that's still out there mated with a DeLorean

Isn't PoC possibly going to continue now past wv 4? And wasn't it confirmed by Hasbro the Renegades toys would be for PoC what the Resolute subline was for the 25th/Modern Era run? Or did I just dream this all?

I do agree though that either the show should have waited or the toys should hurry the hell up. Seems kinda dumb not to release them at the same time. Ah well.

ChaplainAsst
12-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Isn't PoC possibly going to continue now past wv 4? And wasn't it confirmed by Hasbro the Renegades toys would be for PoC what the Resolute subline was for the 25th/Modern Era run? Or did I just dream this all?

That is basically what Hasbro said. They didn't give specifics but it was clear that their would be more figures - mostly speculated to mean we might actually get the canceled figures from this line (Scarlet, Training SE, arctic Duke, etc). I guess some Tankers never read the Q & As, which is the best info we get from Hasbro - and actually has been informative lately!

Jmacq1
12-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I think it's a combination of either not reading the Q&As or outright rejecting that anything said in them could possibly be the truth (especially if it's good news).

dj7000
12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
IMO, it's crucial to have the toys out while the show is airing. As a kid, watching the cartoon would get me excited to go play with the toys or go buy new ones, which in turn would get me geared up for a new episode...it was a virtuous circle.

I agree. And that;t a typical cycle and a normal marketing strategy, which baffles me as to why they're waiting so long to put this product out. By February they could have at least these characters on the shelves: Series 1: Duke, Scarlett, Storm shadow, Snake Eyes, Tunnel Rat, Baroness

April: Series 2: Ripcord, Major Blood, Roadblock, Breaker, COBRA industry soldiers, Mindbender

Series 3: Flint, Lady Jaye, Bio Viper V1, Bioviper V2, General Abernathy, Hardmaster

I mean the designs have been there and instead of wasting time on a purposeless line, why not jump on what's current. Makes no sense at all. Heck, I'd be happy with the random insert ala Resolute figures into the current POC set. This stuff coulda been going hot by christmas time!

That is basically what Hasbro said. They didn't give specifics but it was clear that their would be more figures - mostly speculated to mean we might actually get the canceled figures from this line (Scarlet, Training SE, arctic Duke, etc). I guess some Tankers never read the Q & As, which is the best info we get from Hasbro - and actually has been informative lately!
I don't think it should be prerequisite to have to search for this information. Hasbro needs to do a better job of informing consumers of what's going on. If they planned on inserting the figs then why not put that on some package designs or something.."Look for the NEW RENEGADES figures..COMING SOON" And to be honset this is the first time I've heard of this. I've been hearing Fall 2011 most of the time. You have a link?

Jmacq1
12-09-2010, 09:36 AM
There will be no Renegades product. G.I. Joe is dead forever because PoC vehicles are already at Ross.

On a more serious note: There is no product right now because Hasbro HAD to release a good chunk of the PoC product they had already tooled up or face probably several million dollars in losses on wasted tooling. After PoC got pushed back by lackluster RoC sales, the schedule simply wasn't going to allow for Renegades toys and TV show to appear concurrently unless they delayed the airing of the show, and there wasn't likely to be another "window" for all the PoC product anytime soon, with Renegades, the RoC sequel, and the 30th anniversary all on or just beyond the horizon.

Contrary to popular belief, Hasbro knows how to run a toy business. They scheduled PoC to hit in the earliest "open" window they had.

Shin Densetsu
12-09-2010, 12:38 PM
There will be no Renegades product. G.I. Joe is dead forever because PoC vehicles are already at Ross.

On a more serious note: There is no product right now because Hasbro HAD to release a good chunk of the PoC product they had already tooled up or face probably several million dollars in losses on wasted tooling. After PoC got pushed back by lackluster RoC sales, the schedule simply wasn't going to allow for Renegades toys and TV show to appear concurrently unless they delayed the airing of the show, and there wasn't likely to be another "window" for all the PoC product anytime soon, with Renegades, the RoC sequel, and the 30th anniversary all on or just beyond the horizon.

Contrary to popular belief, Hasbro knows how to run a toy business. They scheduled PoC to hit in the earliest "open" window they had.

They also make mistakes. As for scheduling POC to hit in the earliest open window available, I highly doubt that but won't/can't get into why.

Jmacq1
12-09-2010, 02:31 PM
They also make mistakes. As for scheduling POC to hit in the earliest open window available, I highly doubt that but won't/can't get into why.

So you're saying they should have not released PoC at all? Or should have forgone retooling the movie-likeness heads and pushed it out while there was still even more RoC-themed product clogging shelves than we still have now? You think the retailers would have gone for that? (I'm being serious here...I have a hard time seeing where/when Hasbro could have released PoC earlier without serious resistance from the retailers and/or shelling out royalties to Paramount for movie likenesses, and your statement implies that you think Hasbro has made some kind of mistake with PoC).

Shin Densetsu
12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
So you're saying they should have not released PoC at all? Or should have forgone retooling the movie-likeness heads and pushed it out while there was still even more RoC-themed product clogging shelves than we still have now? You think the retailers would have gone for that? (I'm being serious here...I have a hard time seeing where/when Hasbro could have released PoC earlier without serious resistance from the retailers and/or shelling out royalties to Paramount for movie likenesses, and your statement implies that you think Hasbro has made some kind of mistake with PoC).

I said none of what you just posted above. To think that Hasbro has never made a mistake within past years is wrong in itself. Sure they know how to run a toy company but they do not always make the best decisions and they are not beyond making mistakes. I am glad POC even reached shelves but there were times leading to, and during POC, that Hasbro did not make the best decisions. If they didn't, obviously a revision wave of the newest vehicles wouldn't have skipped mass market retail and jumped right into a discount retailer's lap AT 1/2 the MSRP.

Even so there are other things that went on that I won't/can't get into. It's better to just read what I state, leave it at that and not think I'm implying anything beyond what I stated with regards to this conversation. Constructive criticism is key, supporting bad products isn't. Whether Hasbro decides to up the ante in light of their current and upcoming competition is beyond me. Maybe it will encourage them to be more competitive which will then in turn benefit all of us.

sgcaper
12-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Again I'm finding myself in agreement with you Jmacq1. Hasbro does know what it's doing. Does it make mistakes? Sure but we aren't the ones who decide what the mistakes are, the shareholders are (to which I am a proud shareholder). That said H looked at what they had planned in terms of movies, cartoons, anniversaries, etc and scheduled as needed. Things may have been changed slightly along the way due to unforeseen circumstances but guys it's not like H is deciding this stuff on a whim a few weeks before stuff gets released. They're planning well in advance.

To address the question asked about when Renegades toys are being released. No one here knows the answer unless they work in the marketing and/or distribution department of Hasbro. But they did say Renegades will be in the POC line and will be realistic like POC.

sgcaper
12-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Dude, I hate to jump in here but you are implying things by stating, "Even so there are other things that went on that I won't/can't get into. It's better to just read what I state, leave it at that and not think I'm implying anything beyond what I stated with regards to this conversation."

When you say you "won't/can't get into" something you are implying other things with an open ended statement. If you want people to, "not think I'm implying anything beyond what I stated with regards to this conversation" then write in closed ended statements.

Shin Densetsu
12-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Again I'm finding myself in agreement with you Jmacq1. Hasbro does know what it's doing. Does it make mistakes? Sure but we aren't the ones who decide what the mistakes are, the shareholders are (to which I am a proud shareholder). That said H looked at what they had planned in terms of movies, cartoons, anniversaries, etc and scheduled as needed. Things may have been changed slightly along the way due to unforeseen circumstances but guys it's not like H is deciding this stuff on a whim a few weeks before stuff gets released. They're planning well in advance.

To address the question asked about when Renegades toys are being released. No one here knows the answer unless they work in the marketing and/or distribution department of Hasbro. But they did say Renegades will be in the POC line and will be realistic like POC.

Slightly? I never said they didn't know what they were doing, just being honest and pointing out that they have made mistakes, and yes it did affect the POC line. Release date for Renegades is Fall 2011 which is late July-early August realistically, unless something else happens which will delay that. Right now there is nothing stopping it, POC wave 4 should arrive at retail ahead of schedule, before March, leaving plenty of room to make space for Renegades in late summer/early Fall.

Most of us hope Renegades will be realistic like POC, and if they don't, I think most fans will be enraged. However there was work done on Renegades figures with animated styling, how far they got in the production process is anyone's guess, but from what I've read, it seems like molds were already tooled for them. Which if that's the case, we will see them but maybe not right away. Hasbro seems intent on making POC quality Renegades figures. It is also cheaper for them to do so since they can share parts with pre-existing 25th/Modern/POC/ROC figures barring movie likeness head sculpts. This was a win/win situation for Hasbro but you have to look at it this way, was it done for the fans or save money? Both but the latter is very appealing to Hasbro, it's just with the former satisfied, this decreases the inevitable bitching.

If everyone just supports what Hasbro does, we are just going to get disappointing products. There comes a point where sometimes their decisions can't amount to anything but bad decisions/mistakes. This isn't all the time but when it happens, it's better to take the constructive criticim route than be an apologist. The 25th line would have never improved had it not been for the fandom providing a lot of constructive criticism all throughout. Maybe POC would have had a ton of missle launchers too had fans not spoken up.

Dude, I hate to jump in here but you are implying things by stating, "Even so there are other things that went on that I won't/can't get into. It's better to just read what I state, leave it at that and not think I'm implying anything beyond what I stated with regards to this conversation."

When you say you "won't/can't get into" something you are implying other things with an open ended statement. If you want people to, "not think I'm implying anything beyond what I stated with regards to this conversation" then write in closed ended statements.

Thanks, I'll take that into account

dj7000
12-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I think hasbro in general has crapped all over the Joe line. I mean they've known for awhile when the toon was coming out, so why not invest some time into it. Transformers hit on all cylinders, why couldnt Joe? So im stuck with realistic cartoon figures becasue that's what people want? How many realistic variations of Duke/scarlett, etc do people need. I dont have a problem with the realistic sculpts but I think at least have it be somewhat stylized so one can layout their 10 Duke figures and say...see this one here...nice sculpt..that's the renegades line. If they pack a Snake eyes figure that looks like every other snake eyes, I'm gonna be ticked. And for the love of God, give us autthentic figures, not this kitbash of parts we get year after year!

Mermaniel
12-09-2010, 04:59 PM

sad but true...they really messed up bad by releasing the show and no figures...

ChaplainAsst
12-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I don't think it should be prerequisite to have to search for this information. Hasbro needs to do a better job of informing consumers of what's going on. If they planned on inserting the figs then why not put that on some package designs or something.."Look for the NEW RENEGADES figures..COMING SOON" And to be honset this is the first time I've heard of this. I've been hearing Fall 2011 most of the time. You have a link?

For where they said that more POC is coming:
http://thefwoosh.com/2010/10/ask-hasbro-gi-joe-102210#more-11180

For where Hasbro said when Renegades figures are coming:
The next round of Q&A questions due by noon on 9/13 - Joesightings.com Forums (http://www.joesightings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10630&st=0#entry90214)

As to your point about not wanting to search, I have no idea how to respond to that. It seems like this info was decided right before they went to answer the questions. And it was ALL over this site when that news hit - even got front paged. Not a lot of searching required.

Fall 2011 is the new Renegades figures. Spring/Summer seems to be the spot for where new POC figures will pop up - but that is specualtion.

Baron Samedi
12-09-2010, 05:46 PM
I think hasbro in general has crapped all over the Joe line. I mean they've known for awhile when the toon was coming out, so why not invest some time into it. Transformers hit on all cylinders, why couldnt Joe? So im stuck with realistic cartoon figures becasue that's what people want? How many realistic variations of Duke/scarlett, etc do people need. I dont have a problem with the realistic sculpts but I think at least have it be somewhat stylized so one can layout their 10 Duke figures and say...see this one here...nice sculpt..that's the renegades line. If they pack a Snake eyes figure that looks like every other snake eyes, I'm gonna be ticked. And for the love of God, give us autthentic figures, not this kitbash of parts we get year after year!

You know, last time this happened, we all got stupid Sigma Six piled up on the shelves. It did not go well. I would think Hasbro has taken that abysmal cartoon/toy failure and reconsidered the market for their products.

dj7000
12-09-2010, 06:31 PM

The next round of Q&A questions due by noon on 9/13 - Joesightings.com Forums (http://www.joesightings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10630&st=0#entry90214)

As to your point about not wanting to search, I have no idea how to respond to that. It seems like this info was decided right before they went to answer the questions. And it was ALL over this site when that news hit - even got front paged. Not a lot of searching required.

Fall 2011 is the new Renegades figures. Spring/Summer seems to be the spot for where new POC figures will pop up - but that is specualtion.

thanks, I did see this. However, still doesnt answer the when. I get that they said during the POC line, but when the heck will that be no one knows. Very vague and on the surface, appears not very well thought out.

I'm completely agains Renegades being realistic style. For petes sake, it's a cartoon. IF the face scans are at least distinguishable enough that people know it's from Renegades, then I'm all for it. But if they are suggesting a realistic looking scan for these figure...WTF...how is that gonna be any different from any other line?

MFJayman
12-09-2010, 06:36 PM

Wow, I knew about the Renegades info, but not about the post-Wave 4 POC news. Great.

However, if they release any more POC Dukes, SE, SS, Destros...well it won't be good for my mental health. Or my sobriety. Or my neigborhood, because I'll be wandering the streets screaming and ranting.

Tuskegee Joe
12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
9 long months is a bit of a wait.

The following "ALTERNATE ROUTE" can help promote toons with kids + release toy figures, sooner. I saw one very happy kid with a Marvel Universe red Hulk standing next to his Happy Meal green Hulk. Making similiar 4-inch limited articulation Renegades figures in Happy Meals maybe a great alternate route to promote the toon + get toys out faster (in fact TF Prime has toys in Happy Meals now). Retailers can't sell more product while busy "clearing-out" peg warmers for the next 9 months. Thus the "drive-thru" is an optional route Hasbro can use to promote toons + bring-out toy figures sooner...

Past threads (Hasbro Q&A, Bill Merkein, etc.) show if figures strayed from a "standard style" like the realistic 25th/ROC/POC/30th; then it'll cost Hasbro a whole lot more. Yet if figures can be produced by another (e.g. whoever makes McDonalds toys) then this altnerate route CAN temporarily bring a nice big translucent blue Bio-Viper, a large Roadblock, a rotund Major Hidalgo, short skinny Tunnel Rat, womanly-figured Lady Jaye, etc.).

I think this can make for a nice transition. Affordable Happy Meal figures that look somthing between "animated" and "realistic" can nicely transition kids to the "animated" toons to the "realistic" toys. Atop of that, it financially frees Hasbro from the costly tools making non-standard figures like a big translucent blue Bio-Viper. Thus the "drive-thru" is an optional route Hasbro can use to promote toons to kids and give unique toy figures to fans in an alternative, faster, affordable way...

Tuskegee Joe
12-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Double post (my apologies)...

Tanksmasher
12-09-2010, 06:41 PM
thanks, I did see this. However, still doesnt answer the when. I get that they said during the POC line, but when the heck will that be no one knows. Very vague and on the surface, appears not very well thought out.

I'm completely agains Renegades being realistic style. For petes sake, it's a cartoon. IF the face scans are at least distinguishable enough that people know it's from Renegades, then I'm all for it. But if they are suggesting a realistic looking scan for these figure...WTF...how is that gonna be any different from any other line?
It's just a matter of taste. The original figures were based on a comic and cartoon but they weren't cartoonish. They should produce a product people want and if the majority want realistic figures that's hopefully what we'll get. But if they make animated looking figures and they sell well then that's what they'll continue to produce. I never liked the CW animiated figures and thus don't buy them but they have been successful. Joe is a different animal though, so we'll have to wait and see.

MFJayman
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Again, I'm desperately hoping for a POC wave of ALL Troop Builders prior to Renegades hitting. I only JUST now, a week ago, managed to score the Alley Viper via HTS, along with Shock T, and had I waited another 15 minutes, I would have missed it.

So I figure, out of a wave of 4 troop builders, I should at least be able to snatch up one of them in a reasonable time frame...

Zefram
12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Again, I'm desperately hoping for a POC wave of ALL Troop Builders prior to Renegades hitting. I only JUST now, a week ago, managed to score the Alley Viper via HTS, along with Shock T, and had I waited another 15 minutes, I would have missed it.

So I figure, out of a wave of 4 troop builders, I should at least be able to snatch up one of them in a reasonable time frame...

I don't see that happening, but if they stuck at least 2 each (8 total), and then 1 each of Col Marines Duke, V3 SE, and Low Light, I could see it being well received. Or maybe kitbash some new figs to fill in the huge gap between W4 and Renegades. Paint some BATs desert tan and with some new kit, or maybe use City Strike Scarlet and just stick Helix's head on it if they don't want to make a new headsculpt (people can headswap as they see fit at home). Easy stuff, basically.

MFJayman
12-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't see that happening, but if they stuck at least 2 each (8 total), and then 1 each of Col Marines Duke, V3 SE, and Low Light, I could see it being well received. Or maybe kitbash some new figs to fill in the huge gap between W4 and Renegades. Paint some BATs desert tan and with some new kit, or maybe use City Strike Scarlet and just stick Helix's head on it if they don't want to make a new headsculpt (people can headswap as they see fit at home). Easy stuff, basically.

Yeah, you're definitely approaching this from a much more practical standpoint than I am.

Still, I can't help but hope that they've been keeping some really knockout wave under careful wraps, something to both surprise and delight us this coming late winter or spring. Of course, I'm not being practical here, once again. Just dreaming.

kennywr22
12-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I completely agree with you dj7000. I was really looking forward to something uniqwith the Joe's and the animated style figures for the cartoon sounded perfect.I love poc but feel its time to try something different to attract the new audience (kids). Most on here are happy they decided to scrap the animated style for realistic but I strongly feel its a huge missed oppurtunity.

ChaplainAsst
12-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I guess, if you look at the animation, I can't imagine any way they could make figures from those images that would be in any way popular. They are VERY 2D. Not sure how well they would translate into figures.

Troynos
12-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Has anyone stopped to consider that Hasbro is waiting on the Renegades toys ON PURPOSE.

The goal of the cartoon is to get new people (kids, adults, whatever) into Joe. Doesn't it make sense to get them hooked on Renegades first and then say "oh yeah, btw, go buy the toys".

Instead of potentially wasting a ton of money releasing the toys at the same time as the cartoon, and potentially losing a good chunk of the market that may not be interested in the toys until season 2 anyways, they wait and let the cartoon build up steam and a following and then release the toys for bigger impact.

Sunbow came out after the toys had been around for a year or two. The comic came out after the toys.

To me it makes sense to wait on launching the Renegades toys.

1- More time to hook more viewers into Renegades.
2- More time to make the best possible toys possible instead of rushing them out
3- More time to get feedback to see which are the popular characters and which aren't

Smart move.

ChaplainAsst
12-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Has anyone stopped to consider that Hasbro is waiting on the Renegades toys ON PURPOSE.

The goal of the cartoon is to get new people (kids, adults, whatever) into Joe. Doesn't it make sense to get them hooked on Renegades first and then say "oh yeah, btw, go buy the toys".

Instead of potentially wasting a ton of money releasing the toys at the same time as the cartoon, and potentially losing a good chunk of the market that may not be interested in the toys until season 2 anyways, they wait and let the cartoon build up steam and a following and then release the toys for bigger impact.

Sunbow came out after the toys had been around for a year or two. The comic came out after the toys.

2- More time to make the best possible toys possible instead of rushing them out
3- More time to get feedback to see which are the popular characters and which aren't

Smart move.

It goes along with the TF:A similarity, as those toys came out well after the cartoon.

Trooper13
12-09-2010, 08:44 PM

Smart move.

This. This is exactly what we were talking about back when the whole "animated vs realistic" debate was going on. I know people want animated figures, but until the show proves a hit it's too big a gamble for Hasbro. They gambled big on RoC and while it made money, it failed to ignite that spark that they are chasing. It failed to become the "new ARAH" in terms of popularity. If this show explodes and becomes huge, then I'm sure you guys'll get all the figures of the same six characters they can throw at you. If it tanks, and fails to generate real prolonged interest by next fall then Hasbro would be stupid to abandon PoC, which has proved to be big with atleast the small collector market. Remember, Hasbro has investors, and those people aren't too keen on failure. So after RoC, I think they kind of have to play it safe.

coolhandmelo
12-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Along the same lines, there are no new Transformers Prime figures out yet and you would think that they would at least have prototype shots of the PRIME/RENEGADES figures, but nothing yet.
I know they shows are just starting out but like someone said, you got to have to toys launch around the same time to create more buzz for the tv shows, otherwise, when the toys do hit it's gonna be an after thought.
I seriously am not looking forward to the TF3 figures, I'd much rather have PRIME figures. Same with RENEGADES, I'd rather have those new figures than another round of ROC inspired crap...do we really need another Channing Tatum figure?

Tanksmasher
12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
ROC didn't make the toys that popular because the movie didn't generate that much popularity compared to something like Star Wars, which skyrocketed toy sales. That's why GI Joe needs to be more than just an action flick. It needs some exciting storytelling that bridges gaps between various audience types. If ROC had had the theatrical impact of Avatar with the toy quality and inspiration of POC, then GI Joe would be huge right now. We'd be getting 8-10 figures a wave instead of 4-6.

kennywr22
12-09-2010, 08:50 PM
While I agree on waiting a while makes sense, but I think a summer release would be fine. The season will be more than half over by then so kids should be catching on by then. A year is a bit long. We will see I guess. I just want some pics.

Trooper13
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
ROC didn't make the toys that popular because the movie didn't generate that much popularity compared to something like Star Wars, which skyrocketed toy sales. That's why GI Joe needs to be more than just an action flick. It needs some exciting storytelling that bridges gaps between various audience types. If ROC had had the theatrical impact of Avatar with the toy quality and inspiration of POC, then GI Joe would be huge right now. We'd be getting 8-10 figures a wave instead of 4-6.

The Avatar toys tanked. The movie was immensely popular why I don't know, but it didn't translate to toy sales. Those toys hit Family Dollar with a quickness. I'd think getting a good media property to translate to toy sales has to be tricky. A hit show or movie, doesn't make a hit toy line. From what people have said those toys weren't even that bad. Alot of people prefer those mechs to the Joe mechs.

Remember, like Troy said, Sunbow didn't happen until after the toys were already selling and popular. Obviously things like technology, and the fact that Hasbro now owns their own channel have changed that game plan up a bit.

Zefram
12-09-2010, 09:06 PM
The Avatar toys tanked. The movie was immensely popular why I don't know, but it didn't translate to toy sales. Those toys hit Family Dollar with a quickness. I'd think getting a good media property to translate to toy sales has to be tricky. A hit show or movie, doesn't make a hit toy line. From what people have said those toys weren't even that bad. Alot of people prefer those mechs to the Joe mechs.

Remember, like Troy said, Sunbow didn't happen until after the toys were already selling and popular. Obviously things like technology, and the fact that Hasbro now owns their own channel have changed that game plan up a bit.

The mechs were nice, but for the same price as the Joe mechs they didn't even come with a figure, which on their own were INSANELY expensive. Smaller and inferior sculpts to the Joes at a $10 price tag? The question is who thought they wouldn't tank?

Trooper13
12-09-2010, 09:08 PM
While I agree on waiting a while makes sense, but I think a summer release would be fine. The season will be more than half over by then so kids should be catching on by then. A year is a bit long. We will see I guess. I just want some pics.

Well I think Fall is really taking production time into account. I think they want to give the show a solid 6-8 months to see how it performs. If it does well, those concepts will then go into production. That pushes things back a few more months.

Trooper13
12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
The mechs were nice, but for the same price as the Joe mechs they didn't even come with a figure, which on their own were INSANELY expensive. Smaller and inferior sculpts to the Joes at a $10 price tag? The question is who thought they wouldn't tank?

Apparently someone who probably doesn't have a job right now.

Flint071
12-09-2010, 09:53 PM

DED(

These damn kids just don't read any more Zef....

CrimsonGuard101
12-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Smart move.

And more time to polish the turd it is. They know Renegades is weak and planned accordingly+playing it safe since they are going to innitially include them with the ongoing awesomesauce of POC as realistic figures (theres a good reason they said this and I am 100% on board with it!). If they felt it was supremo badass like ROC was and flooded the market along with over promising how well the toys would sell for retailers this season with early releases of the Renegaes figures I think retail would burn Hasbro to the ground lol...

Hopefully at best it will end up being like Resolute a handful of carded figures (like duke scarlett snake eyes cc and trooper builders) then a 8 box set of cobra and joe then the inevitable reboot to the next version of GI JOE to come along when Renegades falls on it's face like ROC did (or when ROC 2.0 picks up speed). Then never to be seen again...so goes the last 4 years of joe product...

dj7000
12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
While waiting for production purposes or to make sure the series does well is fine, they can at least throw us a bone. I know it's only been 3 episodes but seriously, kids shows are synonymous with toys. You can't tell me they didn;t see the demand that was coming. they backed themselves into a corner by trying to do too much to appease everyone. I've never seen a toy brand so unfocused before in my life. At least with Star wars you have different sets for each platform. they shoulda done that with ROC, POC and Renegades..release them all in small amounts..slowly phase one down or increase another as need demands it/

Steevy Maximus
12-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Smart move.
And don't forget that the Hub's market penetration is ONLY about 60-million viewers (compared to over 97 million for Cartoon Network, and Nick and Disney have even greater market presense). By next fall, they will likely be gearing up for season 2 (depending on how long season 1 ends up being) and, most importantly, will likely be getting DVDs out for the first season. Getting the DVDs out to venues like Walmart and Target I feel will help IMMENSELY in getting word out about the series and even better if the toys get a big push about that time.

I also get the impression that GI Joe, as a brand, is still shaking off the effects of RoC. While PoC seems to have done better, by no means has it been this huge success, and vehicle sales continue to weak (at best). I really got the impression around last Joecon that Hasbro was looking at stylized figures (ala Clone Wars and TF Animated). The fact we're now being told that figures will be in style with existing PoC/realistic figures says to me that maybe plans changed and they were simply not able to get things in motion to coincide with the airing of the cartoon.

It goes along with the TF:A similarity, as those toys came out well after the cartoon.

To be fair, that wasn't planned at all. Animated toys were basically done for release around March of 2008, but were delayed because there was still a HUGE demand for merchandise related to the first feature film. They were, however, able to push the release of pilot on DVD to help promote sales of the toys (which I feel Hasbro will be trying to do next fall with Renegades and Transformers Prime)

Snake Shadow09
12-10-2010, 12:46 AM

toy fair is only 2 months away my friend.

Troynos
12-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I know it's only been 3 episodes but seriously, kids shows are synonymous with toys.

No, not really.

How long after Ben 10 premiered before started seeing toys? Definately wasn't the first season.

Secret Saturdays, Phineas and Ferb.. All out for awhile before toys.

By your thinking, we should have Symbionic Titan toys on the shelves now. They're behind because the show has been out for 1/2 a season now.

Where are the Johnny Test toys? Generator Rex?

How many shows are on TV that don't have toys associated with them?

This is not like when we were kids. TV show and toys don't go hand and hand like they used to.

The hoped-for goal of Renegades is to sell the toys. They won't happen unless Renegades gets some attention first and gets people interested in it.

Releasing stuff right now would get the same results as PoC has and wouldn't help convince the retailers to devote precious shelf space to this new line of Joe toys and vehicles (hopefully).

They need the ratings numbers to show retailers that Renegades toys will sell and sell well. Right now that doesn't exist. There is no reason for a retailer to give Star Wars level shelf space to Renegades right now.

Waiting a year can help develop that reason.

Grand Slam
12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
...Symbionic Titan toys....

God, I hope this happens.

Mr.Kane
12-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I for 1 am ready to see what they will look like at least.

dj7000
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
No, not really.

How long after Ben 10 premiered before started seeing toys? Definately wasn't the first season.

Secret Saturdays, Phineas and Ferb.. All out for awhile before toys.

By your thinking, we should have Symbionic Titan toys on the shelves now. They're behind because the show has been out for 1/2 a season now.

Where are the Johnny Test toys? Generator Rex?

How many shows are on TV that don't have toys associated with them?

This is not like when we were kids. TV show and toys don't go hand and hand like they used to.

The hoped-for goal of Renegades is to sell the toys. They won't happen unless Renegades gets some attention first and gets people interested in it.

Releasing stuff right now would get the same results as PoC has and wouldn't help convince the retailers to devote precious shelf space to this new line of Joe toys and vehicles (hopefully).

They need the ratings numbers to show retailers that Renegades toys will sell and sell well. Right now that doesn't exist. There is no reason for a retailer to give Star Wars level shelf space to Renegades right now.

Waiting a year can help develop that reason.

You make excellent points and really didnt look at it like that. Guess I'm just excited to see the toys come out. But hey, if the anticipation helps to build the awareness, then I'm all for it. And if it means hasbro is gonna give us some stellar new Joes, then I can certainly hold out alittle longer. Time will tell, I suppose.

MeLikeJinx
12-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I know they said they have no plans for any female Renegades figs, but they seriously need to make a Renegades Jinx; I love her look.

Zefram
12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I know they said they have no plans for any female Renegades figs, but they seriously need to make a Renegades Jinx; I love her look.

It's depressing to say the least.

Shin Densetsu
12-10-2010, 10:23 PM

It's depressing to say the least.

Final 2010 GI Joe QnA Answers (http://www.toyark.com/news/gi-joe-toy-news-11/final-2010-gi-joe-qna-answers-3555/)

MeLikeJinx
12-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Final 2010 GI Joe QnA Answers (http://www.toyark.com/news/gi-joe-toy-news-11/final-2010-gi-joe-qna-answers-3555/)
2) Does the GI Joe Renegades TV roster provide ample reason to include more female figures in the Renegades line?
A) The G.I. Joe Renegades roster isn't so chock full of female characters that we would go and add more female figures to the line. As we may have mentioned before, female figures don't sell as well as other figures but they take the same amount of work to make. That being said, we do plan to introduce one or two female figures before the end of 2011.

WOW. One or two by the end of next year huh? That means Renegades Scarlett and maybe somebody else. LOL. So the last slot might belong to either Zarana, Baroness v1, Baroness v2, Lady Jaye or Jinx... it's like musical chairs and Jinx is the slow girl. LOL.

Trooper13
12-11-2010, 09:25 AM
... it's like musical chairs and Jinx is the slow girl. LOL.

Hahha. It's really sad, though. Honestly, I think it's a big mistake. My girlfriend even likes this show, and she's never cared for Joe at all. I've got a feeling that this incarnation of Joe might be another chance for Joe to attract female fans. All the characters we've met so far have been very engaging. Well written, and well rounded. Jinx's look is freakin' amazing. I would LOVE to see that in plastic. We've already gotten her weapons with PoC SS. So no big "work" there for Hasbro on the accessories. However, the cloak? That could be another HUGE step forward for Joe. We saw them make cloth work with Dusty's "cape". Now it's time to push that even farther. I think if Hasbro passes on Jinx, it'll be a big mistake. That said, we know if we're getting two women, it's Scarlet and Baroness.

Shin Densetsu
12-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Hahha. It's really sad, though. Honestly, I think it's a big mistake. My girlfriend even likes this show, and she's never cared for Joe at all. I've got a feeling that this incarnation of Joe might be another chance for Joe to attract female fans. All the characters we've met so far have been very engaging. Well written, and well rounded. Jinx's look is freakin' amazing. I would LOVE to see that in plastic. We've already gotten her weapons with PoC SS. So no big "work" there for Hasbro on the accessories. However, the cloak? That could be another HUGE step forward for Joe. We saw them make cloth work with Dusty's "cape". Now it's time to push that even farther. I think if Hasbro passes on Jinx, it'll be a big mistake. That said, we know if we're getting two women, it's Scarlet and Baroness.

I still think 1 of the 2 next year is Lady Jaye from Renegades.

Also, who knows? Maybe after season 1 is over, the demand for female figures will jump up even more, and perhaps we'll get more female figures prior to, or during the airing of season 2. I bet we'll definitely get more in 2012, as that is not only when Renegades will still be on, but the 30th Anniversary and possibly GI Joe 2.

SPECTER
01-04-2011, 07:29 AM
I never understood why female figures dont do well. Yeah I get that we want SUPER AWESOME SNAKE EYES first but when I was a kid if they made a female figure that was a main character,partner, or love interest I would buy it. I had Ellie Sattler from JP, Catwoman, and Batgirls, Leias and as I got older I still bought them, Padmes from the prequels etc.

and as for Joe from 25th on I have bought all versions of Scarlett(movie also) and Lady Jaye, and Baroness(movie also) and that ugly movie Cover Girl.

maybe im just weird.

Jmacq1
01-04-2011, 08:00 AM
I never understood why female figures dont do well. Yeah I get that we want SUPER AWESOME SNAKE EYES first but when I was a kid if they made a female figure that was a main character,partner, or love interest I would buy it. I had Ellie Sattler from JP, Catwoman, and Batgirls, Leias and as I got older I still bought them, Padmes from the prequels etc.

and as for Joe from 25th on I have bought all versions of Scarlett(movie also) and Lady Jaye, and Baroness(movie also) and that ugly movie Cover Girl.

maybe im just weird.

It's odd, yes. It seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy, because I honestly can't recall a time when female figures weren't short-packed to one degree or another. When did they do the research to determine that "female figures don't sell as well?" I'm sure they -did- I'm just curious as to how/when they figured it out.

Now, I DO understand that there is a desire to make sure "action figures" maintain a separate identity from "dolls." A comparative lack of female figures can actually help with this. After all, little boys are supposed to be using their action figures for battle and saving the world and such, not romance and tea parties and other girly stuff! (Yes, I'm being a bit facetious there).

Joe in the 80's was a bit of an exception because the girls were usually portrayed as being just as competent (or even more competent) than their male counterparts. On a lot of shows the "chick" basically just existed to be captured and/or otherwise be a source of trouble for the male hero(es). Not so much on G.I. Joe, where Duke got captured/injured as often or more than any of the women. Star Wars tends to tread on similar ground.

That and most of the female G.I. Joe figures looked pretty mannish anyway....

But I think it's less of a "female figures don't sell at all" as "female figures tend to sell more to collectors than casual buyers." Really, when you talk G.I. Joe, there's only what...less than 20 or so females that have seen release?

Scarlett
Baroness
Cover Girl
Lady Jaye
Zarana
Jinx
Chameleon
Volga
Bombstrike
Daina
G.I. Jane
Vypra
Munitia
Helix
Female Dial-Tone

Did I miss anyone? Out of what...a few hundred separate characters? That's a pretty small percentage. Even smaller if you pare down the exclusives and limited-release figures. On one hand, it becomes easy to see why there are few females in the modern line...on the other hand there's so few of them that you'd think they could bring out a new one beside Scarlett, Baroness, or Lady Jaye every once in a while. Then again, those three are also the ones that casual buyers are most likely to identify...that self-fulfilling prophecy again. I'd say Jinx has a decent shot based on her recent toon exposure (and she was included in Sigma 6 as well)...so she's knocking on the door of becoming a "core" female I'd say. But sadly, most of the Joe female characters are known to old-school collectors only at this point. Even Cover Girl was basically a non-presence in the movie.

Though of course the continual cycle of rebrand/reboot doesn't help, as that always opens the door for more rehashes of the "core" females.

ChaplainAsst
01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
That and most of the female G.I. Joe figures looked pretty mannish anyway....

I think is the key. A very well done female figure will sell out. A poorly done figure (RoC Cover Girl) won't sell even on clearance. Hasbro has only made a very few attractive looking female figures in ANY of their lines (MU has done pretty well). Collectors will pick up the female figures in droves if that sold them - enough to make up for little boys lack of interest. But no one wants another horribly sculpted figure.

Jmacq1
01-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I think is the key. A very well done female figure will sell out. A poorly done figure (RoC Cover Girl) won't sell even on clearance. Hasbro has only made a very few attractive looking female figures in ANY of their lines (MU has done pretty well). Collectors will pick up the female figures in droves if that sold them - enough to make up for little boys lack of interest. But no one wants another horribly sculpted figure.

Yeah, one of the funny things of modern action figure sculpting is that often the features that can make someone "supermodel beautiful" in person don't translate well when reduced to miniature form. Basically the features are "exotic" to the point that they look weird when miniaturized. I remember a former Toy Biz exec talking about it in relation to trying to make an Aragorn figure from Lord of the Rings using Viggo Mortensen's likeness and having a lot of trouble with it.

I mean...Karolina Kurkova and Sienna Miller practically should have sued Hasbro for some kind of defamation after those RoC figures went public....

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
01-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Realistically, late July-August at earliest.

Probably this.

Which kills me because the cartoon will have run its season run by then to release figures nearly seven months after the first airing of a show seems REALLY poor planning on Hasbro's part. The damn things need to be ready for the show launch or shortly after to properly support the line.

Don't get me wrong I'm not eager to see POC end but its just good business to have those figures in store for the cartoon.

Shadow Ninja
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Again like Zefram said figures are going to be based in the realistic POC sculpts....! Not in the cartoonie bad anime design...

Jmacq1
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Probably this.

Which kills me because the cartoon will have run its season run by then to release figures nearly seven months after the first airing of a show seems REALLY poor planning on Hasbro's part. The damn things need to be ready for the show launch or shortly after to properly support the line.

Don't get me wrong I'm not eager to see POC end but its just good business to have those figures in store for the cartoon.

Actually you can easily argue that it's smart business to see how the cartoon is received before committing to the expense of making toys based on it.

This isn't "Star Wars" with a massive built-in audience. A lot of successful cartoon series have not had toys "at launch" but instead brought them out later (Ben 10, for example) to reasonably good success.

By the time Renegades-themed product hits shelves, the first season will have concluded, and likely have been replayed once or twice in its' entirety, and the second season will likely strike soon afterwards. That gives it a chance to build an audience prior to the toys coming out, instead of putting out a glut of product hoping it will find an audience.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we get our first wave of "Renegades" figures timed to come out roughly the same time season 2 starts. (The July-August waves could be direct continuations of PoC in the meantime).

Troynos
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
What Jmacq1 said. I made that point awhile ago in another thread.

It's smarter and makes more sense to launch the figures after the end of the first season.

Kids watch the show. They get excited for the show. They get hooked on the show. They then want the toys. So 2nd season comes around and the toys and kids go buy the toys so they can play along with the show.

Toys launched when the show is launched? Why would Wal-Mart/Target/TRU support the line? There's no backing to say it'll be successful. Kids wouldn't know who/what Renegades are.

The toys would sit there and sit there and then maybe midway through the season they'd start selling.

But as we know, the big box stores don't like merchandise sitting on a shelf, they want turnover, they want new waves every couple of months to "force" the buyers into the store over and over.

It's smarter to wait to launch the toys after seeing how well the show is doing. They can also then gear the first waves to match the "wants" of the target audience.

Bludd is most popular Cobra? His figure gets pushed to the first wave. etc.. and so on...

With the exception of Star Wars and toys connected to big screen movies, there hasn't been a single line that launched when the show launched. Big 10, Secret Saturdays, and everything else didn't come until after the show had been out for awhile.

I wish I could remember where I said all this before, would have just copy/pasted, lol.

SPECTER
01-06-2011, 04:18 AM
I agree, with every episode each figure/vehicle hypes up the customer. if a kid wanted the Coyote and the next episode it does something else they might want it more so when they finally put it out the kid is amazed and OMG need it now. and I can only think of Ripcord as a character that waiting cost them some buyers (maybe for now) but I would buy a figure of him now only after what he did, if they had come out before/with the show I wouldn't.

KingBiohazerd
01-06-2011, 05:18 AM
NEVER!!!!!!!!j/k