PDA

View Full Version : Thank God Roadblock is not a cook!

Pages : [1] 2

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 01:52 PM
This stereotype drove me nuts when I was in the military its so stupid, and I am so glad Renegades dropped the black stereotype from the 1940's. Theres no reason why he needs to replicate CubaGoodingJr's character from Pearl Harbour. Its 2010 not 1944. Im glad he still appreciates good cooking and can be good at it but making him a mechanic potentially makes him very vital if the transport breaks down or they need something mid battle fixed. I really hope they continue exploring this character and making him more vital to the team.

luigi
12-05-2010, 01:54 PM
no roadblock is still a cook
well at least that what i last i heard

Mazinger
12-05-2010, 01:57 PM
He's not a certified cook. ;)

GrimReaper957
12-05-2010, 01:58 PM
But cooks are the shit these days

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
he mentioned on the last ep that he was a cook.. besides he may be a cook as a hobby, something he enjoys, not necessarily he cooked in the military. unless his filecard says so, i never read it so.. but i'm a custom painter, and i enjoy cooking as much as paula deen.

and i never knew of this stereotype, interesting twist on road blocks character now that you mentioned it..

KushViper
12-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Roadblock is a bad-ass mo-fo. Just sayin'.

crock master
12-05-2010, 02:04 PM
he mentioned on the last ep that he was a cook.. besides he may be a cook as a hobby, something he enjoys, not necessarily he cooked in the military. unless his filecard says so, i never read it so.. but i'm a custom painter, and i enjoy cooking as much as paula deen.

and i never knew of this stereotype, interesting twist on road blocks character now that you mentioned it..

i thought that is what i heard on the last episode.even though i have fell asleep during every episode i still managed to here him say something about cooking.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 02:08 PM
i thought that is what i heard on the last episode.even though i have fell asleep during every episode i still managed to here him say something about cooking.

yeah,scarlett was cut and they needed food or some shit, tr has medical experience, and rb can cook.

i checked ondemand, hub don't have it on there, and i really don't feel like watching em all on youtube. i rather watch it on a bigger screen and better sound then these lil clock radio speakers comps got.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 02:12 PM
*ahem* :D I think his MO is a mechanic if you go by the first episode thats what he was doing. If Lady Jaye had gone to the galley to give a cook his mission orders...Not saying he cant cook or doesnt cook as a hobby BUT. In a normal setting (not a fugitive on the run) at base and on an official mission for the state I think he would be included as a grunt not the cook. Shit just anyone can cook, if I was on the run with a group of guys id cook for them its one of those common sense things.

Im not questioning his cooking skills, at all, Im just saying Im glad they made him something more than that.

Troynos
12-05-2010, 02:18 PM
This stereotype drove me nuts when I was in the military its so stupid, and I am so glad Renegades dropped the black stereotype from the 1940's. Theres no reason why he needs to replicate CubaGoodingJr's character from Pearl Harbour.

Roadblack was a cook long before Cuba Gooding Jr's character was.

His original figure from '83/'84 had him as a cook as his SMS.

Mazinger
12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Cooking has always been a secondary to RB.
Isn't he originally a machine gunner/heavy weapons guy?

ResoluteDuke
12-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Theres no reason why he needs to replicate CubaGoodingJr's character from Pearl Harbour.

Hate to break it to you, gooftroop, but Roadblock was cook way before Cuba Gooding Jr ever thought about playing that role in that garbage movie.

Stop being so sensitive.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Roadblack was a cook long before Cuba Gooding Jr's character was.

His original figure from '83/'84 had him as a cook as his SMS.

Im referring to the present relying on past stereotypes instead of moving on with todays trends. To me personally making one of the few cool black characters on the show a cooking bitch was rude and backwards thinking. They played up GungHo's gumbo references enough that it was forgiveable though. Roadblock spent more time rhyming than throwing meals together it would seem.
I like what Renegades is doing though, nodding the hat to the ARAH days but changing things up as needed. I prefer Roadblock being a mechanic and a grunt who likes to cook (which makes more sense to me) than a cook with a machine gun...Maybe its because I love realism with my Joes. When I was on my ship the only time the cooks ever got to do anything else was during emergencys and everyone had a GQ billet/station. Wether you were on fire watch , a gun team, helo ops, or small boat ops.

Primo_Baddest
12-05-2010, 02:27 PM
roadblock being a mechanic makes more sense with his codename. i agree with original poster that racial stereotypes should be eliminated in JOE

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Hate to break it to you, gooftroop, but Roadblock was cook way before Cuba Gooding Jr ever thought about playing that role in that garbage movie.

Stop being so sensitive.

Obviously a movie that came out in 2001 came after ARAH, im not stupid I just like what they are doing with one of my favorite characters.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
*ahem* :D I think his MO is a mechanic if you go by the first episode thats what he was doing. If Lady Jaye had gone to the galley to give a cook his mission orders...Not saying he cant cook or doesnt cook as a hobby BUT. In a normal setting (not a fugitive on the run) at base and on an official mission for the state I think he would be included as a grunt not the cook. Shit just anyone can cook, if I was on the run with a group of guys id cook for them its one of those common sense things.

Im not questioning his cooking skills, at all, Im just saying Im glad they made him something more than that.

i noticed he don't rhyme either.

luigi
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Im referring to the present relying on past stereotypes instead of moving on with todays trends. To me personally making one of the few cool black characters on the show a cooking bitch was rude and backwards thinking. They played up GungHo's gumbo references enough that it was forgiveable though. Roadblock spent more time rhyming than throwing meals together it would seem.
I like what Renegades is doing though, nodding the hat to the ARAH days but changing things up as needed. I prefer Roadblock being a mechanic and a grunt who likes to cook (which makes more sense to me) than a cook with a machine gun...Maybe its because I love realism with my Joes. When I was on my ship the only time the cooks ever got to do anything else was during emergencys and everyone had a GQ billet/station. Wether you were on fire watch , a gun team, helo ops, or small boat ops.
and let me guess you would complain if rb wasnt a cook

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 02:31 PM
and let me guess you would complain if rb wasnt a cook

...? I dont care either way honestly...If I was writing it I wouldnt have had him cooking period let Duke or the Ninja throw something together *shrug* Im not a stickler to ARAH at all.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Sometimes things seem like obvious stereotypes... but as you'll read below... it wasn't what WAS obvious that made him a chef... it was what WASN'T.

From Larry Hama:
December 5 at 12:26pm

He's not a cook, he's a chef. Somebody had to do the cooking, and he seemed the most unlikely. The race thing didn't enter into it. It seems more stereotypical to me that all the Asian characters are martial artists.

the odinson
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
i wish he was still a cook. and full on rapped all the time. they could have gotten kool keith to do his voice. he knows a lot about both.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Sometimes things seem like obvious stereotypes... but as you'll read below... it wasn't what WAS obvious that made him a chef... it was what WASN'T.

From Larry Hama:

He's not a cook, he's a chef. Somebody had to do the cooking, and he seemed the most unlikely. The race thing didn't enter into it. It seems more stereotypical to me that all the Asian characters are martial artists.

i was thinking the same thing, and footloose sounding like some stoner in a nam get up.... duke being a blue eyed blonde haired american boy, i feel all these stereotypes if you will, adds to the character and ties them into an expectation from american thinking, like spirit being a real indian lol, what part of the army dresses like that? scarlett being an irish american ginger head, it adds character.

but i never knew or thought of road block being a chef had to do with being black. never crossed my mind, and well said, not a cook but a chef...

Barefoot Jedi
12-05-2010, 02:45 PM
As I recall, Marvel Roadblock wasn't a "cook".

He was a gourmet chef. There is a difference.

His complaints to the waiter in whereevertheyare right before they surprise COBRA Commander and Storm Shadow meeting Major Bludd and the Baroness (prior to COBRA Commander's capture) in the old Marvel run is one of my favorite Marvel moments.

To paraphrase: "This pate is a disgrace to the cheese it shares board with. If you threw it far enough north, they'd call it liverwurst."

Sunbow Roadblock also referred to himself as a "gourmet chef" in the truck with Honda Lou West.

Right before he hit that.

Roadblock and Honda Lou get married in my Joe-Verse.

Headman
12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
double post.... I'm also eating cookies.

Headman
12-05-2010, 02:48 PM
This stereotype drove me nuts when I was in the military its so stupid, and I am so glad Renegades dropped the black stereotype from the 1940's. Theres no reason why he needs to replicate CubaGoodingJr's character from Pearl Harbour. Its 2010 not 1944. Im glad he still appreciates good cooking and can be good at it but making him a mechanic potentially makes him very vital if the transport breaks down or they need something mid battle fixed. I really hope they continue exploring this character and making him more vital to the team.

My Dad's best friend is a retired Army cook, and he's black. So they do actually exist. He also likes the Steelers and has never been to PA even once.

JohnnyAngel77
12-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Damn UM, you're getting crucified on here for saying you actually LIKE something about a character. This place is so ass backwards.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 02:50 PM
As I recall, Marvel Roadblock wasn't a "cook".

He was a gourmet chef. There is a difference.

His complaints to the waiter in whereevertheyare right before they surprise COBRA Commander and Storm Shadow meeting Major Bludd and the Baroness (prior to COBRA Commander's capture) in the old Marvel run is one of my favorite Marvel moments.

To paraphrase: "This pate is a disgrace to the cheese it shares board with. If you threw it far enough north, they'd call it liverwurst."

Sunbow Roadblock also referred to himself as a "gourmet chef" in the truck with Honda Lou West.

Right before he hit that.

Roadblock and Honda Lou get married in my Joe-Verse.

lol

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
I think GiJoe had a lot of positive influences on kids as far as quelling racist feelings towards members of the opposite nationality. GiJoe made it cool for ignorant white kids to play with Roadblock, Heavy Duty,Stalker, and Alpine, etc these guys kicked ass , and were fun characters. Gijoe was American in the sense the toys were a melting pot of nationalitys just like this great country. I wouldnt expect Larry Hamma to make the decision based of racist thoughts or stereotypes. Coincidence or not though Im glad Renegades is moving past it. As far as the Asians in ARAH wasnt Tunnel Rat Asian? He wasnt a martial artist as far as I know..and I dont know why he would make that point when the most well known Ninja, SE's is a blond haired blue eyed American.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Damn UM, you're getting crucified on here for saying you actually LIKE something about a character. This place is so ass backwards.

just wait til gunslinger sees this thread.. he will set it straight.

Headman
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM

I like how ARAH had fun with characters and didn't avoid stereotypes. I like the mystic indian, and the kung fu asians, and the BBQ cook black guys, and the drug dealing white guys...well that last one is a stretch, but you get my point.

JohnnyAngel77
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
I like how ARAH had fun with characters and didn't avoid stereotypes. I like the mystic indian, and the kung fu asians, and the BBQ cook black guys, and the drug dealing white guys...well that last one is a stretch, but you get my point.
I hear ya, I did too. It was awesome (and still is). All he is saying though is he likes how its not RB's main focus this time around. Its cool to get a different take on a loved character.

the odinson
12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
nah, plenty of white guys deal drugs. i know 3 or 4 myself.

Primo_Baddest
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I think its funny how JOE has a dozen or so ninjas who are white guys from NJ...

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
i want to see Cross Country fed by Roadblock while Quick Kick bosses Zap around his convenience store.

that's what i'm talking about.

forget stereotypes. bring on the monotypes!

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM

From Larry Hama:

Where's the link first off? and Why would most of you ARAH supporters back this guy when he is in love with the thing you hate the most ROC?? Its weird how most of the really popular Ninjas were not even Asian.

Occam
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
ummm, I didn't realise this was a stereotype. Black people shouldn't be cooking now? huh?

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Funny thing...I never thought RB being a chef on the side which is what he is, was a stereotype mostly because he is a machine gunner.

Besides he's a chef not a cook. Its not like he comes back from a mission and Hawk puts on his white hood and yells, "Back in the kitchen, boy." He cooks because it's a hobby.

And I gotta be honest here as far as stereotypes go the Joes have a pretty good profile of strong positive black team members.

But if you wanna talk stereotypes....Cross Country, or Spirit could be considered a bit heavy handed in that department.

I also like Dr. Mindbender a lot as a sort of stereotype...I mean he's an evil dentist...what a great way to play on everyone's fear of the dentist. lol.

But in the end its just characters, and there's no reason why RB can't be proud to be a chef, and there's no reason why Spirit can't dress the way he does because he honors his tribe, etc, etc.

JohnnyAngel77
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Its weird how most of the really popular Ninjas were not even Asian.
I grew up watching American Ninja so I don't mind this so much. :)

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I grew up watching American Ninja so I don't mind this so much. :)

holler!!

Headman
12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
nah, plenty of white guys deal drugs. i know 3 or 4 myself.

Meth doesn't count.

I think its funny how JOE has a dozen or so ninjas who are white guys from NJ...

You almost have to be a Ninja to live in NJ.

Where's the link first off? and Why would most of you ARAH supporters back this guy when he is in love with the thing you hate the most ROC?? Its weird how most of the really popular Ninjas were not even Asian.

It's a matter of public record that I want to smash Larry Hama into goo and bone dust.

dantedmc37
12-05-2010, 03:39 PM
You think a mechanic is a cooler mos than a heavy machine gunner? And I never thought of cooking as a black thing,theres old white guys from cowboy movies,little asian guys,lunch laides almost all other races have more prominent cooks. If the woman was always the cook I could see the complaint but the gigantic muscle bound black machine gunner? Not so much.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM

it's not a link, it's from a conversation on facebook. if you'd like a screen shot I can provide one.

and there are plenty of things people whom I respect enjoy that I do NOT enjoy. in fact suggesting that I should only 'back' people who like the things I like is kinda stereotyping... well it's elitist and that can lead to stereotyping. I respect Mr. Hama because he helped create GI JOE... you don't have to like him or his work but you don't have to like things to respect them. I don't respect him less if he enjoyed ROC for his own reasons. I have a few friends who enjoyed ROC. I don't back them or not back them based on their opinion of a movie.

it's not weird that they weren't Asian... because Hama said that all Asians being martial artists is a stereotype. he didn't say that stereotype existed in GI JOE... he merely stated that all Asians being martial artists is a more obvious stereotype than African Americans who are cooks/chefs.

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
it's not a link, it's from a conversation on facebook. if you'd like a screen shot I can provide one.

and there are plenty of things people whom I respect enjoy that I do NOT enjoy. in fact suggesting that I should only 'back' people who like the things I like is kinda stereotyping... well it's elitist and that can lead to stereotyping. I respect Mr. Hama because he helped create GI JOE... you don't have to like him or his work but you don't have to like things to respect them. I don't respect him less if he enjoyed ROC for his own reasons. I have a few friends who enjoyed ROC. I don't back them or not back them based on their opinion of a movie.

it's not weird that they weren't Asian... because Hama said that all Asians being martial artists is a stereotype. he didn't say that stereotype existed in GI JOE... he merely stated that all Asians being martial artists is a more obvious stereotype than African Americans who are cooks/chefs.

i'm glad you edited out your parenthetical. it was probably the worst thing i had ever seen you write. glad you're still Gary underneath all the Gyre.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
To me personally making one of the few cool black characters on the show a cooking bitch was rude and backwards thinking.

*ahem*

A certain "cooking bitch" would like to have a word with you... alone.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Random/seagal_under_siege000x0640x384.jpg

As others have also pointed out, Roadblock wasn't a cook, but a gourmet chef. It's on his original file-card that he became a machine-gunner because the army mess didn't have the ingredients to work his magic. Seeing a giant scary black dude with a 70lbs machine-gun who could whip up a souffle that would make the brass salute was actually playing against stereotype. He was an artist, not a grease-slinger.

Headman
12-05-2010, 03:46 PM

I don't respect Hama because he was paid to say he liked a movie and took it a step further when he launched personal insults against those who voiced a critical opinion about RoC. Hama is hired stooge and a mud slinger. Fuck him.

Barefoot Jedi
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
*ahem*

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Random/seagal_under_siege000x0640x384.jpg

As others have also pointed out, Roadblock wasn't a cook, but a gourmet chef. It's on his original file-card that he became a machine-gunner because the army mess didn't have the ingredients to work his magic. Seeing a giant scary black dude with a 70lbs machine-gun who could whip up a souffle that would make the brass salute was actually playing against stereotype. He was an artist, not a grease-slinger.

^^^My point much better stated.^^^

JohnnyAngel77
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Hama is hired stooge and a mud slinger.
Aren't we all.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 03:48 PM

and there are plenty of things people whom I respect enjoy that I do NOT enjoy. in fact suggesting that I should only 'back' people who like the things I like is kinda stereotyping... well it's elitist and that can lead to stereotyping. I respect Mr. Hama because he helped create GI JOE... you don't have to like him or his work but you don't have to like things to respect them (maybe you're on the wrong site). I don't respect him less if he enjoyed ROC for his own reasons. I have a few friends who enjoyed ROC. I don't back them or not back them based on their opinion of a movie.

apparently because no one actually seems to understand my point and is just jumping on the band wagon to bash my comments. Its Larry Hammas view point first off, not mine or yours. Look at how you see it or want thats our right. I cant see things through his eyes neither can you. If I really was getting nit picky Id bring up the fact that there are no black snipers and they give "the big dumb black guy" a machine gun because he's too stupid or clumsy to hit anything with a regular rifle. But I dont think thats the case its all coincidental of course.
All I was saying is I like that he's a mechanic now, and cooking seems to be a hobby for him.

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm Asian and I agree with Gyre Viper. However I only respect people who enjoy what I enjoy. Simple. If you are not Nexus you're against us. BOOM!

Mazinger
12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Cooks in my army unit were also Black.

Barefoot Jedi
apparently because no one actually seems to understand my point and is just jumping on the band wagon to bash my comments. Its Larry Hammas view point first off, not mine or yours. Look at how you see it or want thats our right. I cant see things through his eyes neither can you. If I really was getting nit picky Id bring up the fact that there are no black snipers and they give "the big dumb black guy" a machine gun because he's too stupid or clumsy to hit anything with a regular rifle. But I dont think thats the case its all coincidental of course.
All I was saying is I like that he's a mechanic now, and cooking seems to be a hobby for him.

Have you ever read the Marvel comics?

Don't you remember Stalker's duel with the Borovian officer!?

Whoah...

Gyre-Viper
I don't respect Hama because he was paid to say he liked a movie and took it a step further when he launched personal insults against those who voiced a critical opinion about RoC. Hama is hired stooge and a mud slinger. Fuck him.

sometimes life isn't any more real than film. sorry you can't sleep at night, though.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 03:50 PM
If I really was getting nit picky Id bring up the fact that there are no black snipers...

Except Shooter.

Maybe you should quit while you're behind. :)

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 03:50 PM

I thought Rip Cord via the Movie was a sniper/sharp shooter.... but then what do I know. I am not a mechanic and I like cooking. I also like reading, long walks on the beach, and am a Leo.

If you are not Nexus, you're against us! Respect! Believe! AGE OF TOFU!!!! TBOS baby! TBOS!

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
i understand your POV, U-Mag... i think Tankers like to chime in because its their given right, even though many times we fail to read a thread in its entirety before rehashing comments made previously.

the whole thing about him being a Chef and not a cook was said many times before, had a few heads taken the time to read before regurgitating.

i dont think anyone is attacking you, per say, that's just the nature of free will and posting on a site that many of us are passionate about.

don't sweat it, bro. i can see your impetus and it comes from a good place. keep on rockin in the free world.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Have you ever read the Marvel comics?

Don't you remember Stalker's duel with the Borovian officer!?

Whoah...

am i talking about Stalker????? And my bad I forgot about Shooter :) I can take the criticism just cant like anything Renegades does I guess.

the odinson
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
*ahem*

what's segal gonna do, beat you to death w/ his hairpiece and steal all your twinkies?

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Except Shooter.

THIS is why i can not stomach many of you.

such arrogance.

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Cooks in my army unit were also Black.

Mine are Asian... well the head chefs are Asian. The sous chefs are mexican...and the waiters are white, and the dish washers are black. Oh and they are all women because well you know..... it's their place hahahah If you are not Nexus you're against us and by us I mean ummmm the Nexus! TBOS!!! TBOS!!!

JohnnyAngel77
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
don't sweat it, bro. i can see your impetus and it comes from a good place. keep on rockin in the free world.
such arrogance.
I agree with SW here.

Headman
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
sometimes life isn't any more real than film. sorry you can't sleep at night, though.

I couldn't sleep at night long before Hama started calling fans names.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 03:56 PM

I was NOT bashing your comments. Your comments were a bit over-generalized, though. I over-generalize all the time and it bites me in the ass on here. heheheh. But I certainly wasn't bashing your comments. All I did was go to the guy who wrote the file card. And as every file card will state... cooking has always just been a hobby. And honestly after only 3 episodes where he's not even been near a kitchen... I honestly can't say if they've left his chef-ing past behind.

TofuNinja
I forgot to add that the women in my Joe Verse Kitchens are also with out shoes and knocked up.

Mazinger
Actually....the mechanics in my company were also Black.

That's just from my experience.

The Asian were all Ninjas. ;)

the odinson
12-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I couldn't sleep at night long before Hama started calling fans names.

lay off the meth, it'll help.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 03:58 PM
THIS is why i can not stomach many of you.

such arrogance.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Motivators/hold-onto-that-thought-awesomeness-demotivational-poster-1266089624.jpg

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 03:59 PM
All and all it comes down to experience not many of you guys have actually been in the military or get these stereotypes. I should have known better. Some of my best friends in the Guard are black and we used to talk about GiJoe all the time. Stalker was one of the favorites because he was just plain kick ass and plenty of people didnt like Roadblock because of his chef/cooking backgrounds. I was asked one time who was my favorite and I said Roadblock to my friends disgust and I asked why, the cooking schism came up and I was enlightened.
BTW Chefs arent chefs by nature you have to be a cook for a long time before you become a chef its not something that comes naturally in the real world its an earned position.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I was NOT bashing your comments. Your comments were a bit over-generalized, though. I over-generalize all the time and it bites me in the ass on here. heheheh. But I certainly wasn't bashing your comments. All I did was go to the guy who wrote the file card. And as every file card will state... cooking has always just been a hobby. And honestly after only 3 episodes where he's not even been near a kitchen... I honestly can't say if they've left his chef-ing past behind.

not directed at you just happened to be in the quoted response :)

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM

i happen to dig on Hama, but your comment merits a song:

YouTube - AC/DC - Big Balls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g23GiivXC78)

Zefram
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
BTW Chefs arent chefs by nature you have to be a cook for a long time before you become a chef its not something that comes naturally in the real world its an earned position.

Which is why according to his filecard he was saving up for the Escoffer School in France.

Also it says he wasn't a cook because, "He found the preparation to appalling", so the entire point of this thread is kinda moot.

gunslingercbr
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM

how can Roadblock being a chef replicate Cuba Gooding Jr in Pearl Harbor when Roadblock being a chef came a good 20 years before that movie? your argument makes zero sense.

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
To be a Chef you need to go to Culinary school, or own your own restaurant and be the head cook/chef. And you need sous chefs. If you are the head cook you are the chef. You don't always need training. Also if you are on Food Networks Chopped or any other reality show like top Chef or maybe even Hell's Kitchen (well maybe not) you can also be a chef. Or at least referred to as one. On but to be an IRON CHEF.... WOW

TBOS BABY!! T-effin- BOS!

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
snip

your act is sooooo tired, OZ.

but if that's all you got, follow your bliss.

Headman
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
how can Roadblock being a chef replicate Cuba Gooding Jr in Pearl Harbor when Roadblock being a chef came a good 20 years before that movie? your argument makes zero sense.

There he is.

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tofuninja13/Tofu/franktalk.jpg

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:06 PM

am i talking about the ARAH version here???? NO , R-E-N-E-G-A-D-E-S, Cuba's character was the living embodyment of this stereotype and hence a reference point for making comments related to the CURRENT Roadblock. If the current Roadblock followed the path of the ARAH version he would be echoing the stereotype portrayed in the PearlHarbour movie....how much clearer can I be.

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 04:08 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tofuninja13/Tofu/franktalk.jpg

wrong thread.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/testing-grounds-spam-o-rama/85286-age-tofu.html

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:09 PM
wrong thread.

I know. But I am not sure everyone knows... so I have enlightened them. Thanks for the free advertising of my thread ;)

Truly TBOS!!! and as wel all know TBOS is DASHING!

luigi

Zefram
wrong thread.

Tofu is dashing in every thread. ;)

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I think the issue here is if you look for any type of 'ism' your likely to find it.

Look at Rock n Roll...I mean he's from Cali so he has to be a surfer? Its a stereotype to some degree...or hey maybe he really just likes to surf?

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:11 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tofuninja13/Tofu/xdashing.jpg

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tofuninja13/Tofu/damnstraight.jpg

Zefram
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
My girlfriend would to point out that some black people just like to cook and she refuses to go to a soul food restaurant run by white people. I'm not sure how that's relevant, but I thought it was funny. :)

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tofuninja13/Tofu/tofukanye.jpg

luigi
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM

this has nothing to do with this thread

luigi
12-05-2010, 04:14 PM
My girlfriend would to point out that some black people just like to cook and she refuses to go to a soul food restaurant run by white people. I'm not sure how that's relevant, but I thought it was funny. :)

it fits zef

TofuNinja
this has nothing to do with this thread

But this does....

Doris Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorie_Miller)

You're Welcome

TBOS

Gyre-Viper
I haven't even had breakfast and all this chef/cooking talk isn't helping.

luigi
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
am i talking about the ARAH version here???? NO , R-E-N-E-G-A-D-E-S, Cuba's character was the living embodyment of this stereotype and hence a reference point for making comments related to the CURRENT Roadblock. If the current Roadblock followed the path of the ARAH version he would be echoing the stereotype portrayed in the PearlHarbour movie....how much clearer can I be.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/tofuninja13/Tofu/tofukanye.jpg

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/12/5/079b0e5f-7354-418d-b356-1c2b662c6747.jpg

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 04:16 PM
dude
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/3015062728_f38de4e313_o.jpg

Thread foul, you posted that already...... just saying

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
this thread is officially heading down spam-o-rama lane.

it was fun-ish and almost edifying.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
But this does....

Doris Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorie_Miller)

You're Welcome

TBOS

I had a feeling the character might be based on a real person.

Saboteur
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Wasn't Roadblock cooking something in the 2nd part of the first episode?

Headman
12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm lost. Are we saying Roadblock can't cook at all without being racist? Or just for other people?

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I'd rather have this thread locked then thrown into Spam-o-rama. I forgot myself, who the hell am I to speculate that Hasbro made a forward thinking move on their part. Who am I to actually like something from Renegades, and comment on anything for that matter

GrimReaper957
12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
10 pages and counting, we definitely have a big mess here

YouTube - The Academy Is...: We've Got A Big Mess On Our Hands [OFFICIAL VIDEO] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUoGD1G6LU)

Headman
12-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd rather have this thread locked then thrown into Spam-o-rama. I forgot myself, who the hell am I to speculate that Hasbro made a forward thinking move on their part. Who am I to actually like something from Renegades, and comment on anything for that matter

People don't like serious topics. They like spam and stuff that may or may not be dashing.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
12-05-2010, 04:27 PM
i'm lost. Are we saying roadblock can't cook at all without being racist? Or just for other people?

lol!

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
12-05-2010, 04:29 PM

UM jokes aside I just think for the most part people never saw RB's being a chef as a racist undertone just something the character liked to do.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I guess maybe its time to start the "why I like ROC" thread so I can get my ass railed for commenting on anything. I feel the need to be bashed so I can move the Joe fans further into the bleachers with the TF and SW fans.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 04:31 PM

nah man it's like I said... I think your intentions were sound. heheh.
i think you might have assumed that Pearl Harbor was using a black stereotype even though the character is based on a real person who was a cook... And 80's cartoons definitely played to stereotypes on occasion (still happens today but you gotta keep in mind that most people know what they're getting into). I think this time you just could have used better examples to get your point across. Happens to everyone on here... don't take it personally. The internet rarely translates well ESPECIALLY amongst fan boys. People give bad examples on here all the time (even if they don't want to admit it), whether or not their intentions were coming from a good place.
Which yours were.

Mazinger
12-05-2010, 04:31 PM
UM jokes aside I just think for the most part people never saw RB's being a chef as a racist undertone just something the character liked to do.

Yup.

I never thought the "black guy is a cook" is stereotyping. That's why I'm going "WTF is he talking about".

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I guess maybe its time to start the "why I like ROC" thread so I can get my ass railed for commenting on anything. I feel the need to be bashed so I can move the Joe fans further into the bleachers with the TF and SW fans.

THEN I will bash your comments. :D

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM

Fair enough man, fair enough. I didnt see it as a bad thing as a kid either. It wasnt untill I was in the military that the stereotype was brought to my face. Its like the old disney movies, how much racist, adult humor and underlying stereotypes were present in them. Everyone knows about it now that years later we've disected those movies. but the differance is ITS OK to talk about those, and we still watch them and love them (myself included)

GrimReaper957
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
as of writing this, this is the fastest thread with 11+ pages in less than 3hrs

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Except Shooter.

Yeah not everybody's read the Devil's Due Declassified books. It's not always necessary to be a know it all :)

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
nah man it's like I said... I think your intentions were sound. heheh.
i think you might have assumed that Pearl Harbor was using a black stereotype even though the character is based on a real person who was a cook... And 80's cartoons definitely played to stereotypes on occasion (still happens today but you gotta keep in mind that most people know what they're getting into). I think this time you just could have used better examples to get your point across. Happens to everyone on here... don't take it personally. The internet rarely translates well ESPECIALLY amongst fan boys. People give bad examples on here all the time (even if they don't want to admit it), whether or not their intentions were coming from a good place.
Which yours were.

I knew he was a real person from the get go....if anyone reads up on ww2 history America took a huge step backward and relegated most blacks to supply positions and cooking postions. Front lines were out of the question for most. Youve got rare examples of Tuskegee Airmen which went way beyond what most could accomplish at that time. My first 12' Black Joe(which I bought after being in the military) was a Tuskegee airmen, I thought it was awesome because he was a pilot and not in a dummy position.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
as of writing this, this is the fastest thread with 11+ pages in less than 3hrs

No I think Slaughtergate still holds that honor...that thing jumped pages by the second.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 04:40 PM

From Larry Hama:

Je$us Gyre do you have a direct line to Hama :D

http://www.michaelnetzer.com/mno/images/hama.jpg

GrimReaper957
No I think Slaughtergate still holds that honor...that thing jumped pages by the second.

Damn, I forgot about that

Gyre-Viper
I knew he was a real person from the get go....if anyone reads up on ww2 history America took a huge step backward and relegated most blacks to supply positions and cooking postions. Front lines were out of the question for most. Youve got rare examples of Tuskegee Airmen which went way beyond what most could accomplish at that time. My first 12' Black Joe(which I bought after being in the military) was a Tuskegee airmen, I thought it was awesome because he was a pilot and not in a dummy position.

Bill Merklein told me that essentially, if you're in the Military, anyone can use your likeness without your permission. That's weird to me.

Saboteur
12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Nothing has or never will hold a candle to the epicness that is known as Slaughtergate.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
^This is true.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Je$us Gyre do you have a direct line to Hama :D

hahahah Mr. Hama is a busy man but he always seems willing to have a conversation if you have a genuine question.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Bill Merklein told me that essentially, if you're in the Military, anyone can use your likeness without your permission. That's weird to me.

Yup..you loose your rights as an individual once you sign the papers. They can kick you out for Sodomy, Adultery and a bunch of other crazy stuff too.

Gyre-Viper
12-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Yup..you loose your rights as an individual once you sign the papers. They can kick you out for Sodomy, Adultery and a bunch of other crazy stuff too.

yeah but using someone's likeness... without running it past them first... that's just rude.

Headman
12-05-2010, 04:49 PM
While we're on the subject of racism. Does anybody else thing Amy Adams is too white?

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 04:50 PM
yeah but using someone's likeness... without running it past them first... that's just rude.

Your just another Joe with a serial number odds are you wouldnt know if they used you for reference anyway, they'll look through the graduation pictures that get posted and pick people, the names are all in a database too. Its crazy but I wouldnt have cared if I got made into a Joe,think about how cool that'd be to come home from tour and try to find the figure they made (IF) you even knew.

WeaponXCustoms
While we're on the subject of racism. Does anybody else thing Amy Adams is too white?

only if Roadblock is cooking for her

Barefoot Jedi

Gwyneth Paltrow.

Jettfire
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM

She's probably too white to be a cook. At least in this man's Army.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Race in World War II
Looking at the Past Through the Lens of Race
The "White Man's War"
During World War I, African Americans had joined the war effort with the hopes that their patriotic service might be rewarded. They had imagined that through their participation both the world and the United States would become "safe for democracy." But by war's end blacks had discovered their expectations betrayed. Jim Crow restrictions remained securely intact in the South, racially motivated crimes including lynching were on the rise all over the country, and racial discrimination kept black Americans underpaid or unemployed.

So, by the outbreak of World War II, African Americans were much more cynical. Some responded to Japanese and German hostilities with uncertainty, others with spite. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, a black sharecropper remarked to his white landlord, "I hear those Japs done declared war on you white folks."17 Some were skeptical of the national call to duty abroad, referring to the conflict as the "white man's war." Twenty years after black leader W.E.B. DuBois had urged his people to set aside their grievances and commit themselves to the war effort, the black press proclaimed, "Our war is not against Hitler in Europe but against the Hitlers in America."18

With the passage of the Selective Training and Service Act in August 1940, all American men between the ages of 18 and 45 became liable for military service. Some black men who had no desire to fight in the "white man's war" used racial stereotypes to their advantage to avoid the draft. Malcolm Little, later known as Malcolm X, appeared before a draft board wearing his most audacious zoot suit and exaggerating his desire to join the army in order to "kill some crackers." The draft board subsequently deemed Little "mentally disqualified for military service." Musician Dizzy Gillespie told the board that, for so long, "the white man's foot has been buried in my asshole up to his knee."19 Therefore, he said, he might be likely to shoot any white man he encountered.
Jim Crow in the Armed Services
Still, many others agreed with heavyweight champion Joe Louis, who said, "America's got lots of problems, but Hitler won't fix them."20 Throughout World War II, more than one million blacks entered the armed forces. Some believed that victory over America's enemies abroad was as important as victory over enemies at home and joined to protect the United States from the Nazis. The military also offered enlistees a reliable salary, so many African Americans plagued by unemployment and poverty enlisted to escape the degradation of their current condition.

Black inductees found discrimination and segregation prevalent in the armed forces. Military and government officials rejected desegregation, some asserting the belief that blacks were inferior. Segregation policies reflected the notion that blacks did not make adequate leaders and worked best under white supervision. The United States Army enlisted black soldiers into separate regiments; the Navy confined blacks to service roles as cooks, janitors, and waiters; the Marine Corps, for much of the war, excluded blacks altogether. African-American servicemen were sent to segregated training camps, often on military bases in the South where black GIs were harassed for defying Jim Crow laws or, simply, for wearing a military uniform. Army base chapels, mess halls, and entertainment centers excluded or segregated black soldiers.

Even Nazi prisoners of war enjoyed more rights than black American servicemen. German prisoners of war held in United States military bases were commonly permitted to dine with white U.S. soldiers in facilities that excluded black U.S. soldiers. When Lena Horne, an African-American songstress, performed in a southern GI camp, German prisoners of war were given front row seats while black servicemen were relegated to the back of the theater. Horne delivered her performance in the aisles before her follow black Americans, but, shaken by the experience, she ended her military tour.
The Beginning of the End of Jim Crow
Like World War I, the Second World War, despite all the democratic rhetoric, brought few tangible changes for African Americans. Lawful segregation continued to limit access to public facilities in the South, laws restricting black suffrage remained intact, and the threat of economic reprisal and death at the hands of whites prevented black citizens from owning land and gaining economic independence.

Still, one thing had changed; black veterans returned home transformed. With their wartime experiences came new frustrations, and a more urgent desire to take charge of their lives and protest ill treatment. The fear and anger they felt on the battlefield didn't fade at war's end but, instead, intensified. Black veterans were determined to discard the mask of accommodation. No longer would they veil their true feelings and allow whites to degrade, humiliate, and terrorize their communities. "I had spent five years with white men, and women, from Africa to Italy, through Paris, and into the Fatherland itself," Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins reflects in Devil in a Blue Dress, a novel by Walter Mosley. "I ate with them and slept with them, and I killed enough blue-eyed young men to know that they were just as afraid to die as I was."21

Black soldiers returning from World War II would provide the fuel for the growing Civil Rights Movement

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 05:05 PM
hahahah Mr. Hama is a busy man but he always seems willing to have a conversation if you have a genuine question.

Good to know :)

Zefram
12-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Race in World War II
Looking at the Past Through the Lens of Race
The "White Man's War"
During World War I, African Americans had joined the war effort with the hopes that their patriotic service might be rewarded. They had imagined that through their participation both the world and the United States would become "safe for democracy." But by war's end blacks had discovered their expectations betrayed. Jim Crow restrictions remained securely intact in the South, racially motivated crimes including lynching were on the rise all over the country, and racial discrimination kept black Americans underpaid or unemployed.

So, by the outbreak of World War II, African Americans were much more cynical. Some responded to Japanese and German hostilities with uncertainty, others with spite. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, a black sharecropper remarked to his white landlord, "I hear those Japs done declared war on you white folks."17 Some were skeptical of the national call to duty abroad, referring to the conflict as the "white man's war." Twenty years after black leader W.E.B. DuBois had urged his people to set aside their grievances and commit themselves to the war effort, the black press proclaimed, "Our war is not against Hitler in Europe but against the Hitlers in America."18

With the passage of the Selective Training and Service Act in August 1940, all American men between the ages of 18 and 45 became liable for military service. Some black men who had no desire to fight in the "white man's war" used racial stereotypes to their advantage to avoid the draft. Malcolm Little, later known as Malcolm X, appeared before a draft board wearing his most audacious zoot suit and exaggerating his desire to join the army in order to "kill some crackers." The draft board subsequently deemed Little "mentally disqualified for military service." Musician Dizzy Gillespie told the board that, for so long, "the white man's foot has been buried in my asshole up to his knee."19 Therefore, he said, he might be likely to shoot any white man he encountered.
Jim Crow in the Armed Services
Still, many others agreed with heavyweight champion Joe Louis, who said, "America's got lots of problems, but Hitler won't fix them."20 Throughout World War II, more than one million blacks entered the armed forces. Some believed that victory over America's enemies abroad was as important as victory over enemies at home and joined to protect the United States from the Nazis. The military also offered enlistees a reliable salary, so many African Americans plagued by unemployment and poverty enlisted to escape the degradation of their current condition.

Black inductees found discrimination and segregation prevalent in the armed forces. Military and government officials rejected desegregation, some asserting the belief that blacks were inferior. Segregation policies reflected the notion that blacks did not make adequate leaders and worked best under white supervision. The United States Army enlisted black soldiers into separate regiments; the Navy confined blacks to service roles as cooks, janitors, and waiters; the Marine Corps, for much of the war, excluded blacks altogether. African-American servicemen were sent to segregated training camps, often on military bases in the South where black GIs were harassed for defying Jim Crow laws or, simply, for wearing a military uniform. Army base chapels, mess halls, and entertainment centers excluded or segregated black soldiers.

Even Nazi prisoners of war enjoyed more rights than black American servicemen. German prisoners of war held in United States military bases were commonly permitted to dine with white U.S. soldiers in facilities that excluded black U.S. soldiers. When Lena Horne, an African-American songstress, performed in a southern GI camp, German prisoners of war were given front row seats while black servicemen were relegated to the back of the theater. Horne delivered her performance in the aisles before her follow black Americans, but, shaken by the experience, she ended her military tour.
The Beginning of the End of Jim Crow
Like World War I, the Second World War, despite all the democratic rhetoric, brought few tangible changes for African Americans. Lawful segregation continued to limit access to public facilities in the South, laws restricting black suffrage remained intact, and the threat of economic reprisal and death at the hands of whites prevented black citizens from owning land and gaining economic independence.

Still, one thing had changed; black veterans returned home transformed. With their wartime experiences came new frustrations, and a more urgent desire to take charge of their lives and protest ill treatment. The fear and anger they felt on the battlefield didn't fade at war's end but, instead, intensified. Black veterans were determined to discard the mask of accommodation. No longer would they veil their true feelings and allow whites to degrade, humiliate, and terrorize their communities. "I had spent five years with white men, and women, from Africa to Italy, through Paris, and into the Fatherland itself," Ezekiel "Easy" Rawlins reflects in Devil in a Blue Dress, a novel by Walter Mosley. "I ate with them and slept with them, and I killed enough blue-eyed young men to know that they were just as afraid to die as I was."21

Black soldiers returning from World War II would provide the fuel for the growing Civil Rights Movement

Genuinely enlightening, but it doesn't change the fact Roadblock wasn't even the Joe's cook, nor was he in any way "confined... to service roles". He was the team's heavy machine gunner, fought on the front lines, and in some cases on the cartoon even took charge.

Headman
12-05-2010, 05:19 PM
The racism here is delicious.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Since you are going to reference comics Zefram
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4281/frontline18alarge.jpg

Headman
12-05-2010, 05:29 PM

I'll take 10 of those right now!

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
apparently people love him as a cook
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8250/1235528441roadblockchef.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3396/2764884986521dc501aa.jpg

Life4Dreadnok
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM

The Roadblock character predated the crappy Pearl Harbor movie. So Hasbro wouldn't have been replicating that. Roadblock was not a cook in GI Joe. He was a heavy weapons guy. His hobby and passion is gourmet cooking. To equate that to some private who makes mashed potatoes everyday is ridiculous. Personally I think Hasbro went against stereo typing Roadblock when they gave him that hobby. How many African American gourmet chefs were there in 1984 when Hasbro came up with the Roadblock character?

People really need to stop looking the racism bogeyman under every rock.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
The Roadblock character predated the crappy Pearl Harbor movie. So Hasbro wouldn't have been replicating that. Roadblock was not a cook in GI Joe. He was a heavy weapons guy. His hobby and passion is gourmet cooking. To equate that to some private who makes mashed potatoes everyday is ridiculous. Personally I think Hasbro went against stereo typing Roadblock when they gave him that hobby. How many African American gourmet chefs were there in 1984 when Hasbro came up with the Roadblock character?

omg read the whole post!

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
G.I. Joe Vs. Cobra: The Essential ... - Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=q5mJdsG6C_gC&lpg=PA22&ots=fqE0_BYeY-&dq=gijoes%20cooking&pg=PA22#v=onepage&q&f=false)

mattymatt
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM

About that crappy pearl habor movie wasnt cuba gooding jrs character based on a real person im pretty sure it was

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
There was a pretty good Mac & Cheese recipe in that issue of Front Line.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:52 PM

heres the real guy who PREDATES ARAH by far...even if I wasnt even talking about him in the first place. Im just glad they broke away from the apparently little known stereotype with Renegades and made him more vital to the team and again its my opinion. You dont have to like it but it doesnt mean Im wrong.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM

Are you trying to use a comic where Gnawgahyde whips off his shirt and greases himself up all shiny to fight Roadblock while Fran Drescher sucker-punches a Dreadnock in a serious argument, or are you trying to match me in lulz? :)

"Gotta use the environment!"

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Are you trying to use a comic where Gnawgahyde whips off his shirt and greases himself up all shiny to fight Roadblock while Fran Drescher sucker-punches a Dreadnock in a serious argument, or are you trying to match me in lulz? :)

"Gotta use the environment!"

its tough looking for diamonds through all the crap isnt it?

I'll leave it at this. I (myself personally) like the changes made to RB's character in Renegades (I) dislike his old profile now that Im an adult and certain things were brought to my attention during my time in the service. So Renegades feels like a step forward for me. Personally.
This should serve as enough update for anyone who doesnt want to read 10 pages of spam or mindless bashing.
Cheers

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Bujo
12-05-2010, 06:08 PM
apparently people love him as a cook
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8250/1235528441roadblockchef.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3396/2764884986521dc501aa.jpg

Chef.

"apparently people love him as a chef"

Bujo
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The racism here is delicious.

It's not that racist. There has yet to be one remark about the liking or disliking of fried chicken and/or watermelon.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 06:10 PM
fol Bujo fol

Bujo
12-05-2010, 06:11 PM
There was a pretty good Mac & Cheese recipe in that issue of Front Line.

Did it include ground beef and Rotel Tomatoes? If it did then I'm suing because they stole my recipe. If not then it couldn't have been a very good recipe.

gunslingercbr
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
About that crappy pearl habor movie wasnt cuba gooding jrs character based on a real person im pretty sure it was
I don't know why I am shocked that you don't realize how stupid of an argument that is. are you seriously asserting Roadblock was based on that actual person? if not, I don't know why I would have to chime in to say how irrelevant that is.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Did it include ground beef and Rotel Tomatoes? If it did then I'm suing because they stole my recipe. If not then it couldn't have been a very good recipe.

No... you used barbecue sauce and bacon.

the odinson
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM

sounds delicious.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM

Im actually questiong his title of Chef, to be a chef means your a professional cook, and are usually running a restaurant's back of house. *warning Im being anal* his file card said he was saving money to go Chefs school on top of which he gave up when reqruited to the army soooo.....If his actual job is as a GiJoe he's a professional soldier, relegating his "chef" status down to cook since he's not doing it professionaly or as a job. Just throwing it out there :)

luigi
12-05-2010, 06:16 PM
i'll try that

Zefram
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
This thread is making me hungry.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Lolcats/funny-pictures-cat-hungry-for-horse.jpg

luigi
12-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Im actually questiong his title of Chef, to be a chef means your a professional cook, and are usually running a restaurant's back of house. *warning Im being anal* his file card said he was saving money to go Chefs school soooo.....If his actual job is as a GiJoe he's a professional soldier, relegating his "chef" status down to cook since he's not doing it professionaly or as a job. Just throwing it out there :)
dude i think you have lost so it is time to stop posting

gunslingercbr
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM

so, if they made Renegades Roadblock a chef it wouldn't be because they were basing him on the RAH version, they would have been ignoring the RAH version and basing him on the old stereotype? unfortunately, you are being clear with that, and it is clearly one of the more dumb argument presented on this board lately.

really, it is just that stupid and I'm sorry that has to be pointed out to you.

any version of Roadblock as a chef is based on his original character, not some completely random element you think is identical simply because it is similar.

such a shame.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I just googled it and couldn't find the recipe, but it was in the back of Devil's Due G.I. Joe Front Line #18

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
OK guys it's time to chill out... everybody back off.

Thanks SNAKE EYES

luigi
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I just googled it and couldn't find the recipe, but it was in the back of Devil's Due G.I. Joe Front Line #18

umm this one right\/
http://www.yojoe.com/comics/frontline/frontline18a.jpg
if it is this one i can look i think this is one of the ones i have

Headman
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Me likey breadsticks.

luigi
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
OK guys it's time to chill out... everybody back off.

Thanks SNAKE EYES

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/12/5/fafd6853-b037-4406-8d80-fbd179d5c441.jpg

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
umm this one right\/

if it is this one i can look i think this is one of the ones i have

Yep that's the one.

Zartanman
12-05-2010, 06:37 PM
well a guy that size is GOING to appreciate food no matter what. But yeah Im glad hes not like a Chef or anything.

Troynos
12-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Just looked thru my scanned copy. No recipe unless it was in a caption in the issue itself.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 06:40 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/12/5/fafd6853-b037-4406-8d80-fbd179d5c441.jpg

why dont you stop with the whitty pictures and actually contribute to the coversation instead of popping in like the like the whipping boy for all the older tank trolls. Contribute something meaningful and intellectual I dare you.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Just looked thru my scanned copy. No recipe unless it was in a caption in the issue itself.

It was in the letters page/section. I would grab my copy, but you guys would have to wait awhile... because all my comics are a disorganized mess and some of them are stored at my grandpas.

Bujo
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Im actually questiong his title of Chef, to be a chef means your a professional cook, and are usually running a restaurant's back of house. *warning Im being anal* his file card said he was saving money to go Chefs school soooo.....If his actual job is as a GiJoe he's a professional soldier, relegating his "chef" status down to cook since he's not doing it professionaly or as a job. Just throwing it out there :)

Chef or cook is mostly just a nod to one's skill and their respect with the position. It's the thought that anybody can be a cook but it takes talent and practiced skill to be a chef. What really matters is what's on the plate. The original Roadblock file card stated he was from Biloxi Mississippi. This whole area in the south, Biloxi, New Orleans, Acadiana is very much a "Live to Eat" kind of territory. It would be a slap in the face if RB didn't cook or worse didn't enjoy cooking.

I think many of the early file cards and GI JOES were meant to take the very best offerings of a culture and geographic location, and roll them into one character. GI JOE took a large, muscular black man who was well suited for course, rough jobs like bouncing, and machine gunner, and juxtaposed that with a refined, elegant profession. What's sad, is that you see it as an insult.

CliffSteele
Maybe Cobra will recruit Gordon Ramsey and him and Roadblock could be arch-enemies!!! :) Like Roadblock, Ramsey is both a cook and a badass.

Troynos
It was in the letters page/section. I would grab my copy, but you guys would have to wait awhile... because all my comics are a disorganized mess and some of them are stored at my grandpas.

Nope, not there. Looking right now. No where in #18 of Frontline.

Bujo
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
well a guy that size is GOING to appreciate food no matter what. But yeah Im glad hes not like a Chef or anything.

It takes a lot of steak burritos to get that big.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Nope, not there. Looking right now. No where in #18 of Frontline.

Damn it :D It's in one of the Devil's Due Joe comics I made it when the book came out. I remember it was either around Memorial day or the 4th of July.

I just assumed it was the one with the Roadblock cover because it was his recipe.

Troynos
12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
It was probably in a later issue. Frontline was canned after #18 and someone probably wrote in asking for the recipe.

Bujo
12-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Damn it :D It's in one of the Devil's Due Joe comics I made it when the book came out. I remember it was either around Memorial day or the 4th of July.

I just assumed it was the one with the Roadblock cover because it was his recipe.

The writers are probably messing with you. Everybody knows bacon doesn't need BBQ sauce.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
It was probably in a later issue. Frontline was canned after #18 and someone probably wrote in asking for the recipe.

Could be what happened, but now I want to know what issue it was in.

Anyone know?

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Everybody knows bacon doesn't need BBQ sauce.

It was just bacon bits :D

It was damn good Mac & Cheese... BBQ, Bacon, and Cheese... we need that recipe :)

MethaZord
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
at least he aint rhymin alot...

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Chef or cook is mostly just a nod to one's skill and their respect with the position. It's the thought that anybody can be a cook but it takes talent and practiced skill to be a chef. What really matters is what's on the plate. The original Roadblock file card stated he was from Biloxi Mississippi. This whole area in the south, Biloxi, New Orleans, Acadiana is very much a "Live to Eat" kind of territory. It would be a slap in the face if RB didn't cook or worse didn't enjoy cooking.

I think many of the early file cards and GI JOES were meant to take the very best offerings of a culture and geographic location, and roll them into one character. GI JOE took a large, muscular black man who was well suited for course, rough jobs like bouncing, and machine gunner, and juxtaposed that with a refined, elegant profession. What's sad, is that you see it as an insult.

Very well put man, and I argued the same at first with my fellow servicemen, but eventually jumped on their bandwagon I guess. I did mention and Zefram brought it up as well that we dont see RB cooking in the toon at all often times he's shown as a capable leader and I stated how he was actually portrayed was forgiveable...I just prefer the new version because it doesnt harken too much to ARAH or the 1940's stereotype. Or remind me of my jaded view point of the character.

Troynos
12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The Renegades Roadblock does go against stereotypes a bit because it's said in his bio on the Renegades page that he's a heavy metal fan.

GI Joe Renegades | Watch TV Shows, Play Free Online Games and View TV Schedule | HubWorld (http://www.hubworld.com/gi-joe/shows/renegades/characters/roadblock)

Renegades Roadblock is versitile. He's the cook and mechanic as well as the heavy weapons.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Maybe Cobra will recruit Gordon Ramsey and him and Roadblock could be arch-enemies!!! :) Like Roadblock, Ramsey is both a cook and a badass.

I think Ramsay could take him in the kitchen, but it'd be all RB on the battlefield. You never know, though. James May could wander in and take them both out with a fish pie.

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy302/zeframmann/Top%20Gear/bovtm_james_may_1.jpg

luigi
12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l623/luigi_swayze/scan0001.jpg?t=1291589744
is this it?

CliffSteele
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Very well put man, and I argued the same at first with my fellow servicemen, but eventually jumped on their bandwagon I guess. I did mention and Zefram brought it up as well that we dont see RB cooking in the toon at all often times he's shown as a capable leader and I stated how he was actually portrayed was forgiveable...I just prefer the new version because it doesnt harken too much to ARAH or the 1940's stereotype. Or remind me of my jaded view point of the character.

So it's better to just make him kind of dumb like they've done than to make him a cook? Renegades needs Stalker!

luigi
12-05-2010, 06:58 PM
why dont you stop with the whitty pictures and actually contribute to the coversation instead of popping in like the like the whipping boy for all the older tank trolls. Contribute something meaningful and intellectual I dare you.

i do that
well part of the time......

TofuNinja
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM

I like this idea. But Gordan would most likely be an IG.

I haven't laughed this hard in ages hahahaha

A new one.

Being Asian, I was not offended by Hop Sing or whatever his name was on Bonaza being a cook/chef. Nor am I offended that Asians seem to be Ninjas. On the same note the rumor of Asians having small ding dongs doesn't bother me either. However I know it bothers some. Just like when Shaq was trash talking Yao Ming and did so in the Kung Fu voice thing... a bunch of Asians got their panties in a bunch. I could have cared less.

I think you bring a valid point to the table. It just depends on how you view the world I guess.

So let me ask you... should I go to you tube and watch this new Joe cartoon? I don't have cable so I am clueless.....

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 06:59 PM
The Renegades Roadblock does go against stereotypes a bit because it's said in his bio on the Renegades page that he's a heavy metal fan.

GI Joe Renegades | Watch TV Shows, Play Free Online Games and View TV Schedule | HubWorld (http://www.hubworld.com/gi-joe/shows/renegades/characters/roadblock)

Renegades Roadblock is versitile. He's the cook and mechanic as well as the heavy weapons.

QFT^^

So it's better to just make him kind of dumb like they've done than to make him a cook? Renegades needs Stalker!

Since when were mechanics dumb? do you know how much training they have to go through to get certified? On top of this you add military equipment and its hightech equipment in this verse? He's not a dumbass by any means.

ResoluteDuke
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Bingo.

Headman
12-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm kind of offended by Barbecue and Blowtorch being Irish. It's like thats all Irish people can do is fight fires? WTF! Hasbro, I demand you make Blowtorch a computer tech or something like that!

luigi
12-05-2010, 07:02 PM
So let me ask you... should I go to you tube and watch this new Joe cartoon? I don't have cable so I am clueless.....

you should
or go to G.I. Joe Renegades Videos | View G.I. Joe Renegades Videos on The Hub (http://www.hubworld.com/gi-joe/shows/renegades/videos)

Troynos
12-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm kind of offended by Barbeque and Blowtorch being Irish. It's like thats all Irish people can do is fight fires? WTF! Hasbro, I demand you make Blowtorch a computer tech or something like that!

Blowtorch doesn't fight fires, he starts them.

Headman
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Blowtorch doesn't fight fires, he starts them.

Only when he's drunk.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 07:06 PM
blowtorch doesn't fight fires, he starts them.

Pork-chop sandwiches!! HOLY SHIT!!!

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm kind of offended by Barbecue and Blowtorch being Irish. It's like thats all Irish people can do is fight fires? WTF! Hasbro, I demand you make Blowtorch a computer tech or something like that!

Mazinger
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
And good ol' Doc, the MD, gets left out again....

Headman
12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
And good ol' Doc, the MD, gets left out again....

I bet Doc's ribs taste ok.

Ground Pounder
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Okay, I didn't read all the post so I may make an ass of myself, but here goes. Cooking in the south is kind of a big deal. Road Block is from Biloxi, MS. I myself don't live but a few hours from the gulf coast where Biloxi is, and I have to say that it isn't that far from Louisiana. The reason I mention this is that, as mentioned, here in the south we think highly of food (obvious reason we are so fat lol) and Louisiana is known for cajun and creole cooking. Therefore it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he would love cooking and it wouldn't be neccarily race related. Oh, and Headman....I have a friend of Irish descent that works as a firefighter in Biloxi, lol. Just thought that was funny and wanted to mention it.

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 07:14 PM
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l623/luigi_swayze/scan0001.jpg?t=1291589744
is this it?

Nope it was in the letters/editors section in the back.

SH0CKWAVE
12-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Bahahaha!

When you're on, you're untouchable.

SNAKE EYES
Only when he's drunk.

No Blowtorch isn't a firefighter he's a fire-starter.

luigi

these ribs are better\/
http://www.amazingribs.com/images/pix/dripping_ribs.jpg

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Okay, I didn't read all the post so I may make an ass of myself, but here goes. Cooking in the south is kind of a big deal. Road Block is from Biloxi, MS. I myself don't live but a few hours from the gulf coast where Biloxi is, and I have to say that it isn't that far from Louisiana. The reason I mention this is that, as mentioned, here in the south we think highly of food (obvious reason we are so fat lol) and Louisiana is known for cajun and creole cooking. Therefore it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he would love cooking and it wouldn't be neccarily race related. Oh, and Headman....I have a friend of Irish descent that works as a firefighter in Biloxi, lol. Just thought that was funny and wanted to mention it.

I hear you man, I live in Georgia so I get BBQ..We've already have Gung Ho being from a fictional place in Loisiana though and he loves Gumbo. It is part of the culture I get it. Im just talking about Military jobs otherwise, and I wouldnt have an issue with it. He can appreciate food for all he wants and the Renegades version does. I just happen to like that he's grunt first and foremost, a mechanic and likes food. Just preference Im not trying to choke anybody with my comments and your not an ass.

CliffSteele
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
QFT^^

Since when were mechanics dumb? do you know how much training they have to go through to get certified? On top of this you add military equipment and its hightech equipment in this verse? He's not a dumbass by any means.

Mechanics are not dumb at all. Roadblock hitting himself on the head w/ the wrench when saluting Lady Jaye is dumb. And making stupid comic relief comments like "But I really like the Cobra Cakes (or whatever it was)" in the first episode is dumb. As a "C" student in Auto basics, I definitely did not mean to slight mechanics in any way at all! :)

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Mechanics are not dumb at all. Roadblock hitting himself on the head w/ the wrench when saluting Lady Jaye is dumb. And making stupid comic relief comments like "But I really like the Cobra Cakes (or whatever it was)" in the first episode is dumb. As a "C" student in Auto basics, I definitely did not mean to slight mechanics in any way at all! :)

maybe he's just stupid smart ;) I remember saluting an officer once and knocked my fricken hat off, shit happens, Officers and superiors can make underlings nervous.

CliffSteele
12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
maybe he's just stupid smart ;) I remember saluting an officer once and knocked my fricken hat off, shit happens, Officers and superiors can make underlings nervous.

Yeah, you have a point. Maybe I'm just being hard on Renegades. I know I had my share of stupid minor injuries (or whatever the term is) at my old job, so why can't Roadblock? I skimmed through the an episode on my DVR. I guess, when it's battle-time, he doesn't screw around and that's the important thing.

luigi
12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
this?
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l623/luigi_swayze/scan0001-1.jpg?t=1291591627

Zefram
12-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Not that that issue, I don't think. >_>

And making stupid comic relief comments like "But I really like the Cobra Cakes (or whatever it was)" in the first episode is dumb.

How is liking apple pie dumb? O_o

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 07:29 PM

jersey got that kungfu grip ya heard.. we don't pump our gas we pump our fist..

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
There he is.

bout freakin' time right??

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
bout freakin' time right??

what the troll to end all trolls?

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Tofu is dashing in every thread. ;)

i got recycled tofu dashing out my ass.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
People don't like serious topics. They like spam and stuff that may or may not be dashing.

agreed

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 07:51 PM
ever heard of multi quote?

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 07:55 PM

i always thought wednesday addams was too white

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 07:57 PM

i want that 1:18 scale george forman grill, and the pug..

luigi
12-05-2010, 07:59 PM
unclassified may i ask u a question
have u ever heard of multiquote

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:00 PM

him rhyming is a stereotype, how many african americans were rhyming in 84?

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 08:00 PM
unclassified may i ask u a question
have u ever heard of multiquote

I think this is his way of trolling

luigi
12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
i want that 1:18 scale george forman grill, and the pug..

what george forman grill i only see a 1:18 Marvin Hinton grill

SNAKE EYES
12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
this?

No it's not issue #18 I was wrong.

Not that that issue, I don't think. >_>

Yeah I was wrong... it's part of the Devil's Due run, but I have no clue what issue.

Sorry guys :(

Does anybody know what issue the Roadblock Mac & Cheese recipe was in?

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
ever heard of multi quote?

never...

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I think this is his way of trolling

dude.. are you talking shit?? i was going through your awesome ass thread, you should feel happy. and think of it as multi bumps.. i can make ya famous..

luigi
12-05-2010, 08:25 PM
unclassified
use this button
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l623/luigi_swayze/jbh.jpg?t=1291595062

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
unclassified
use this button
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l623/luigi_swayze/jbh.jpg?t=1291595062

c'mon, does it bother you that much louie??? if so, ya ass needs some fresh clam in ya life buddy..

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
dude.. are you talking shit?? i was going through your queer ass thread, you should feel happy. and think of it as multi bumps.. i can make ya famous..

no... but thanks :) sry for being rude

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:35 PM
no... but thanks :) sry for being rude

i didn't bash your comments or opinion once in this thread, only stated that in the new cartoon he mentioned he liked cooking.. i tried the multi quote years ago, i didn't understand it lol, so i don't bother, and besides i quote as i read. and i too am sorry for being rude man.. lets hug.. if you feel something start poking you, don't worry..

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
i didn't bash your comments or opinion once in this thread, only stated that in the new cartoon he mentioned he liked cooking.. i tried the multi quote years ago, i didn't understand it lol, so i don't bother, and besides i quote as i read. and i too am sorry for being rude man.. lets hug.. if you feel something start poking you, don't worry..

omg do you like crusher porn too???

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:39 PM
omg do you like crusher porn too???

lol, i have no clue what you are talking about, i meant like my fingers in your ribs from hugging to hard.. god this place got some weird ppl here man.. PERV..

luigi
12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
, i didn't understand it lol, so i don't bother, and besides i quote as i read. well that's true
sry unclassifided it just things tend to snow ball
well at least that how it is for me

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 08:57 PM
well that's true
sry unclassifided it just things tend to snow ball
well at least that how it is for me

you're not into this crusher porn too are you?

it's cool man.. er'ting irie mon..

Headman
12-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Unclassified, if I ever catch you using multi-quote I'm going to disown you.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Unclassified, if I ever catch you using multi-quote I'm going to disown you.

lol..

Headman
12-05-2010, 09:43 PM
No Blowtorch isn't a firefighter he's a fire-starter.

No, he's always drunk.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 09:44 PM
No, he's always drunk.

another irish stereotype..

Headman
12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
another irish stereotype..

Yeah, but that one is true.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, but that one is true.

so is the fireman thing.. and being from boston..

i want a fancy sig like yours..

Colder Soldier
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I feel where your coming from Magnus, though I never did mind the cooking thing so much. I thought it was a nice contrast to him carrying an 80 lb gun. It showed he wasn't just a big dumb ox. RB usually got more respect than most black characters back in the day.

The fucked up thing is how they killed the new Ripcord in this mediocre cartoon. Damn. And here we thought killing the black dude first went out years ago.

This is the first I've seen of this thread and it's already 22 pages long. I'm sure it's full of nonsense that usually accompanies topics of this kind. I'm not reading all of the idiotic replies.

Headman
12-05-2010, 09:56 PM
so is the fireman thing.. and being from boston..

i want a fancy sig like yours..

Not all Irish people are from Boston... I myself am from Worcester, which is like a good half hour from Boston.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Not all Irish people are from Boston... I myself am from Worcester, which is like a good half hour from Boston.

you get what i mean, i know not all irish are lol, but you think boston you think irish.. ..
and the fireman thing is because the irish were the lowest of the low, and only way to make it in america was become a cop politition or fireman.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
This thread is now about Irish drinking. :D

YouTube - Irish drinking song - Bugger off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbrzZWLu6Qw) - NSFW

Headman
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
you get what i mean, i know not all irish are lol, but you think boston you think irish.. ..
and the fireman thing is because the irish were the lowest of the low, and only way to make it in america was become a cop politition or fireman.

Or a bootlegger. Prohibition was the best thing to ever happen to the Irish and Italians.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Or a bootlegger. Prohibition was the best thing to ever happen to the Irish and Italians.

oh shit, i gotta go thanks for reminding me board walk empire

and zef leave it up to me and headman to change the subject haha.

Gatchaman
12-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I feel where your coming from Magnus, though I never did mind the cooking thing so much. I thought it was a nice contrast to him carrying an 80 lb gun. It showed he wasn't just a big dumb ox. RB usually got more respect than most black characters back in the day.

The fucked up thing is how they killed the new Ripcord in this mediocre cartoon. Damn. And here we thought killing the black dude first went out years ago.

This is the first I've seen of this thread and it's already 22 pages long. I'm sure it's full of nonsense that usually accompanies topics of this kind. I'm not reading all of the idiotic replies.

You realize itís not a racial thing. The GI Joe fans would have been just as upset if they made Stalker or Roadblock a white guy in the movie.

They killed him in the new cartoon I think as kind of an apology to the fans.

Headman
12-05-2010, 10:42 PM
You realize it’s not a racial thing. The GI Joe fans would have been just as upset if they made Stalker or Roadblock a white guy in the movie.

They could have made him a white guy again as an apology to the fans. And then kill him because nobody gives a shit about Ripcord anyway.

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 10:46 PM

Wow I never thought about that they could have killed any no namer but they picked him I wonder if Wayans knows lol.

You realize itís not a racial thing. The GI Joe fans would have been just as upset if they made Stalker or Roadblock a white guy in the movie.

no thats pulling the race card sir! :) Are you referring to my comments though or Cobra soldiers comments about Rip? I dont care if they change the race on characters as long as it works for the character. Rips worked for me so no problem there..but I can see where some of the ARAH fans are coming from.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow I never thought about that they could have killed any no namer but they picked him I wonder if Wayans knows lol.

I'd say he cares more about the stack a money he got and the hot girlfriend waiting at home for him than what a cartoon director or bunch of nerds on a web forum think of him. :)

the odinson
12-05-2010, 10:56 PM
They could have made him a white guy again as an apology to the fans. And then kill him because nobody gives a shit about Ripcord anyway.

you're wrong, man, so wrong. i give a shit about ripcord. and i'm somebody. nyah.

Gatchaman
12-05-2010, 10:58 PM

LOL..... good point.

Zefram
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I'll modify Headman's statement. Nobody gave a shit about Ripcord before the racelift. Now all of a sudden he's the guy everybody talks about here. In that sense I'd say it was about the best thing that could have happened to the character.

Troynos
12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I'll modify Headman's statement. Nobody gave a shit about Ripcord before the racelift. Now all of a sudden he's the guy everybody talks about here. In that sense I'd say it was about the best thing that could have happened to the character.

^ This

Ripcord was barely mentioned until he was changed for RoC. Now he's a major player in all facets of Joe (RoC, Renegades and IDW).

Not bad for a guy who's prior claim to fame was dating a girl that dressed as a bear.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 11:15 PM
there is nothing wrong with hairy girls.. nothing a gillette can't fix..

WeaponXCustoms
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
^ This

Ripcord was barely mentioned until he was changed for RoC. Now he's a major player in all facets of Joe (RoC, Renegades and IDW).

Not bad for a guy who's prior claim to fame was dating a girl that dressed as a bear.

LOL I forgot about that..kinda like Ripcord. Reminds me of the nick name some girls get in Canada...BearTrap, anyways

Gatchaman
12-05-2010, 11:40 PM
there is nothing wrong with hairy girls.. nothing a gillette can't fix..

Or in some cases a weed wacker.

Unclassified
12-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Or in some cases a weed wacker.

lol..

CrimsonGuard101
12-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Roadblock is a cook...will always be a cook, the comics/cartoon of the 80s already cast that in stone. Until Hasbro turns him into a frog and calls him Pondscum and makes him look like Winston from Ghostbusters...then maybe he can not be a cook...

It has nothing to do with race, creed, ancestory, genus and species...it's a gd toy line...only an adult gets all politically correct...act your shoe size for once and enjoy your toys...this is why we can't have nice things...

Troynos
12-06-2010, 12:17 AM
It has nothing to do with race, creed, ancestory, genus and species...it's a gd toy line...only an adult gets all politically correct...act your shoe size for once and enjoy your toys...this is why we can't have nice things...

This is one of those very rare times that I agree with CG101.

I'm pretty sure that there was no racist intention when they decided to flavor Roadblocks filecard by making him a cook.

CrimsonGuard101
12-06-2010, 12:23 AM
This is one of those very rare times that I agree with CG101.

I'm pretty sure that there was no racist intention when they decided to flavor Roadblocks filecard by making him a cook.

His carded file card really explains it well too...this is why I hate the way they went away from well written and awesome looking character file cards to the crap we have today...it's just like Blah Storm Shadow blah ninja blah Weapon of choice MARS TR808-ABFG9000 Tactical assault laser plasma uzi in the 50 watt range dagger launcher and yeah he's also a ninja btw file cards...

Shin Densetsu
12-06-2010, 12:26 AM

From Larry Hama:

Tunnel Rat hasn't exhibited any martial arts, yet.

helrod
12-06-2010, 12:28 AM
stereotype? stereotype???
cooking is hardly racist.
Be glad he's not singing and dancing,
or worse yet saying every line in rhyme!
Could be worse you could have an Asian guy running around bare footed wearing a karate outfit, or a native American with pigtails head band war paint, suede pants, and.......oh....wait .

Falcone
12-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Im just glad they broke away from the apparently little known stereotype with Renegades and made him more vital to the team and again its my opinion.
I am having a real difficult time understanding your argument. You are saying that you like that in Renegades Roadblock is a frontline soldier first and being a coke is secondary? How is this any different than in ARAH? Roadblock has always been a combatant first and a cook second. His cooking being secondary has not changed. The only thing that has changed about his character, is that his primary specialty is mechanic instead of machine gunner. Which actually makes him less of a combatant than he was in ARAH.

c'mon, does it bother you that much louie??? if so, ya ass needs some fresh clam in ya life buddy..
It's annoying because it makes a thread unnecessarily long.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.