PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Joe: The next Generation.

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 12:48 AM
With new characters such as Helix, Sgt. Stone, NightFox, kickstart, and the female dial-tone; would anyone be interested in a Joe-verse where the a.r.a.h. joes have aged and retired. These new joes would be the generation in anti-terrorist forces. you'd still have throwbacks to the original joes. hawk is dead and duke has risen through the ranks and even earned a commission. he is now general duke and commander of g.i. joe. stone serves as the field commander. snake eyes still trains them in hand to hand combat but helix is his star pupil. round out the ranks with nine other new "joes" and you have team of 13 men and women fighting a new threat.

Unclassified
11-17-2010, 12:51 AM
dial tone don't count. helix and her can not share the same head. unless it's the one connected to my pipe organ..

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 12:53 AM
I just mean in the terms of a comic book. I agree the need a new head sculpt for both dial-tone and tomahawk.

Zefram
11-17-2010, 12:55 AM
With new characters such as Helix, Sgt. Stone, NightFox, kickstart, and the female dial-tone; would anyone be interested in a Joe-verse where the a.r.a.h. joes have aged and retired. These new joes would be the generation in anti-terrorist forces. you'd still have throwbacks to the original joes. hawk is dead and duke has risen through the ranks and even earned a commission. he is now general duke and commander of g.i. joe. stone serves as the field commander. snake eyes still trains them in hand to hand combat but helix is his star pupil. round out the ranks with nine other new "joes" and you have team of 13 men and women fighting a new threat.

I think that's the way the original Marvel tried to play it. The O13 technically were promoted outside field duty after issue 20, but Hasbro kept dragging the same characters back out of mothballs instead of giving the new guys more spotlight, so a lot of characters that might have had potential got shoved into the backburner so we could have more Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 12:56 AM
do you think the idea would have merit to IDW though?

Unclassified
11-17-2010, 01:03 AM
i do like your idea though.. i can dig it..

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 01:05 AM
the thing about the punisher comics I've always enjoyed is that they aged frank castle. it just makes sense to do the same with the non-powered heroes. So should cobra still be around or should a new organization rise from it's ashes.

Owner of a Lonely B.A.T.
11-17-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm gonna go and say I doubt it would be done as a comic...thinking back it seems like DDP's run on Joe started to take a look at 'the age' issue of some of out characters and introduced what would be a new group of characters.

It wasn't really flying well...the 'new' guys didn't really see much play in fact I think Mariner never saw more than one panel, and when they took a chance and killed Lady Jaye fans went NUTS and backlashed on DDP hard. Things only went downhill from there.

So while I personally in my Joeverse use the original 13 as department heads of sorts...Clutch and Steeler run the motor pool, Doc runs medical, etc...I highly doubt Hasbro wants any book that doesn't have the likes of Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, Duke and Stormshadow which they have stated are the most recognized characters.

So while I'd love Joe to move forward I doubt newer characters will see any major roles in any comic book. And I guess that makes some sense, I mean think about Spiderman with out Peter Parker? Or X-Men without some of its core characters?

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 02:08 AM
well spider-man is an individual not a team. as for the x-men. well you had the original five. then along came wolverine,storm,nightcrawler,colossus,kitty pryde,banshee, and others who have in turn all become instructors at the school allowing new characters such as Surge,Hellion,Dust,Elixir,Mercury,Rockslide,X-23,Prodigy,Anole,Pixie, and Gentle to be developed.

Lantern_Lad
11-17-2010, 02:18 AM
I'd be down with it.

Hell, as long as it's done right, I'd be down with anything that didn't constantly starred SE & SS.

Don't like the idea of Hawk being dead though... can Colton be dead instead?

Sgt Humpty
11-17-2010, 03:59 AM
My own preference would be that the O13 not be retired out of the storyline, but like Zef said install them as the senior Officers and Staff NCO's. Bring in new blood and allow them to interact. I agree that Hasbro will always want SE, SS, Duke, etc. But that doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as they don't squelch the development of new characters. When I was a kid, my favorite thing was waiting to see each year's new batch of recruits. I still loved the older guys, but I was always ready to embrace new faves, too.

CVdelgado
11-17-2010, 04:57 AM
i like what idw has been doing. i like the way the old marvel issues seemed to tell so much more story per issue however.

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I don't know. I think it'd be great as a side story. not something connected to the main continuity. I know they kinda tried this with G.I. Joe extreme back in the day but it never felt like g.i. joe. I just think with so many new characters in the toy line it'd be great to have a comic geared specifically towards them.

Zartanman
11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Could be called, "GI Joe Futures Past." Or "GI Joe Next Gen" something like that. But I think I would read it for sure.

DaSmokeEater
11-17-2010, 10:20 AM
It can't be just a comic thing. G.I. Joe 80's were based on the toyline, which rotated in new characters and vehicles to keep the line fresh and profitable, the comics and cartoons highlighted those. If they want to do this again (and I'd love to see more of the newer characters as toys as well) then it has to be a Hasbro thing that trickles down.
Hasbro approved the Lady Jaye death, the backlash will prevent too much of this in the future (once upon a time retiring a character meant he returned to college on a scholarship and met a hot chick while jogging; it didn't mean having a villain plot a shady-at-best reasoning ambush death scene so they could never come back).

Not to slam DDP, whom I personally enjoyed every second of, I also took exception to Breaker getting killed in Marvel. I think for every tragedy there should be a whole bunch of happy endings is all.

Sunbow_Joe84
11-17-2010, 10:49 AM
true as they may be. but they're should the distance of time. for instance when G.I Joe was disbanded after ARAH it would have made more sense for the US govt. to recruit whole new members and pepper the unit with senior joes to serve as the chain of command.

Sunbow_Joe84
12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this story lately. I've even come up up with a few new ideas but right now I'm brain storming. Ok so here it goes.

CVdelgado
12-16-2010, 07:15 PM
in a word, no.

Sunbow_Joe84
12-16-2010, 07:16 PM
General Conrad Hauser stands just outside a large metal door at the end of an office hallway. He thinks about how many battles he's faced and terrors He has endured. These days things seem to be getting worse. There have been several reports of new terrorist activities from all over the globe. Different organizations with no clear goal in mind but how much they hate America and her people.
But recent intel has pointed to a central leadership. Somebody has taken command of these forces and has been supplying them with next generation weapons. Now these men are receiving tactical training and becoming a real threat to national security. But yesterday something truly terrifying occurred. A single man dressed in a dark blue uniform charged into a hospital with a bomb strapped to himself. He screamed "COBRA!!" and detonated the IED. forty civilians were killed, with many more injured.
Has the old enemy returned? Or is this simply a copycat?

Zefram
12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
This is a major problem in, of all places, pro-wrestling. Everybody loves the old-favorites, but the old guard don't want to make room for the new guys either until they're too old to even climb in the ring, 'cause that's their paycheck.

And now that Hasbro is doing the "core character" route, it's unlikely we'll ever see a Joe without Duke, SE, and Scarlet in the thick of it.

Sunbow_Joe84
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
A short balding man in standard issue glasses (or BCGs) opens the door calling the general in. Four men sit around a conference table in this brightly lit room. They wait as Hauser takes his seat at the head of the table. The man across from him is four star General Flagg. He is the third General Flagg Duke has ever met and every bit the man his father and grandfather were. " Duke, we called you in today because we believe we are being faced by a new threat from an old enemy. We have recieved new intel that Cobra has truly returned. We don't know if the Commander has returned or if this is an entirely new organization. In any case we have decided that if there is a new Cobra then we will respond by reforming G.I. Joe. Duke, we want you to take command."

Woo-Dig-It
12-16-2010, 08:26 PM
It's a good idea Sunbow Joe. Like was mentioned earlier, the first few DDP issues started out similiar that the old Joes were aged and were training some new guys, but then the creative team went in another direction (I think I read were Hasbro didn't care for the aged idea). They even made Bazooka overweight, clever writing idea. Sigma 6 animation (what few I saw) tried saying that they were 20 or 50 years after SpyTroops/Valor Venom with a new team but yet they still had characters with codenames, looks, and backgrounds just like the ones from 50 yrs ago.... a major editing problem. Another that I remember is the former comic company Dreamwave started their second Joe / TF series called "Divided Front." G.I. Joe Comic Book Archive (http://www.yojoe.com/comics/tranjoe2/) Unfortunately they only made one issue before the company expired. I enjoyed that issue. Their first series had Joe/TF in WW2 era and Divided Front was the idea that Joe was now in 80's or modern day and the older Joes were advisors (Scarlett, Duke, etc..) to Flint and the newer guys. It was a good idea.

Anyway, I like your idea, a reboot always has to have something special. For example Joe comics went for years with no reboot. Even when DDP relaunched they still tied into the old Marvel continuity. Then they tried Joe Reborn/Reloaded which had my attention at first but lost me quickly when they changed creative teams often. I didn't care for America's Elite overall. The Joe / TF's were seperate universes as well. Now IDW has their different continuity plus a movie continuity. Alot of them have cool aspects but it can get wild after a while.
With that said, I still think The Next Gen is a good idea. I like it.

John_0515
12-16-2010, 08:44 PM
A man claiming to be "Cobra Commander" takes responsibility for the bombings, saying "Cobra" has risen from the dead.

Stormgard
01-06-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd rather have completely new characters than keeping the old ones the same age for the past 30 years. I don't think it makes sense to have SE in his physical prime battling post 9/11 terrorists, I'd prefer for either the old Joes (a number of whom are Vietnam veterans) to retire and make space for fresh blood; or to have the classic characters stay young in a comic book that is based in a sort of mid-to late '80s world, where time more or less stands still.

As a matter of fact, these could be two separate comic titles that exist side by side. One just takes place 20 odd years before the other one.

~Synder Corps.~
01-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't mind a new continuity for Joe... I'm actually really liking Future Noir (Thanks Daremo!!!) And I think it'd be kind of cool to have history strike twice nd Kamakura takes up the mantle of the Silent Master, becoming the NEW Snake Eyes alongside the "newer recruits"
...And the final nail in the coffin? Have the female Dialtone be the eldest member of the team.

williamzombie
01-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Dude, I was so interested in a story like this I thought about making a fan comic of it myself... or trying to get IDW to look at my work so they'd let me do it for them. I love the idea of Next Gen Joes.
-g

Griff
01-06-2011, 07:58 PM
do you think the idea would have merit to IDW though?

i could/would dig it. maybe then we would have NEW characters. notjust reworked old ones ya know.

luigi
01-06-2011, 08:16 PM
arnt jack and jill related cause i thought they where brother and sister
note jack is the first dial tone
jill is the newer dial tone