PDA

View Full Version : Must be nice to be a Transformer fan!

kennywr22
10-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I swear man sometimes i get so frustrated as a gi joe fan. I mean it just seems like they are always the second or third choice for anything.lol. My case in point is the whole Transformers prime and gi joe renegades thing. Months ago it was stated that Transformers prime was looking to be delayed a bit due to the animation taking longer and what not. Renegades was on schedule. So here we are now and what do we get, Transformers Prime gets the big billing on USA today online and its got a new trailer and commercials on the HUB for its big week long debut! Where is JOE, good question.... I really hope it doesnt get pushed back again. If it is coming out on Black friday like prime then where's the big hype for it? IS the HUB gonna release its two big shows together or you think they are maybe gonna hold off on one(gi joe). The worst thing to happen would it to come out on Black friday with no big introduction like Primes getting. I hope we get a press release like Monday.

Griff
10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I can tell you that as botha TF and Joe Fan its sometimes equally maddening..sometimes more so as many tfs get made also over seas but in better deco (case in point the seaspray voyager here vs the one overseas looking mroe G1ish) but i think that sometimes the tf world does have it a bit easier.

ChaplainAsst
10-30-2010, 10:57 PM
This is simple: hit movie verses a very mildly successful movie. Incredibly successful movie toy line verses one that went on clearance in most stores. But - here's another way of looking at things: what if they use TF:Prime as a lead in to Renegades? What if they advertise Joe during the breaks on Prime? Well then, you are drawing even more kids to your show, right? The trick is getting them to know the Hub even exists. Once you get them there, you want to keep them. Prime is going to bring in more kids than Renegades would on its own. Renegades needs a little boost to get it going. Just think about it in terms about all the shows that used to come on between Friends and ER in the 90s. Some made it, others didn't, but they all at least got watched while they sat in that time slot. Isn't that what you want - to at least get the show watched? I think this is what Hasbro is doing with the Hub.

ARMORED-UP
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I swear man sometimes i get so frustrated as a gi joe fan. I mean it just seems like they are always the second or third choice for anything.lol. My case in point is the whole Transformers prime and gi joe renegades thing. Months ago it was stated that Transformers prime was looking to be delayed a bit due to the animation taking longer and what not. Renegades was on schedule. So here we are now and what do we get, Transformers Prime gets the big billing on USA today online and its got a new trailer and commercials on the HUB for its big week long debut! Where is JOE, good question.... I really hope it doesnt get pushed back again. If it is coming out on Black friday like prime then where's the big hype for it? IS the HUB gonna release its two big shows together or you think they are maybe gonna hold off on one(gi joe). The worst thing to happen would it to come out on Black friday with no big introduction like Primes getting. I hope we get a press release like Monday.

HEY KENNY..IS THIS WHAT YOU WER LOOKING FOR?
The Hub to Premiere New Original Series 'G.I. Joe Renegades' During Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend - MarketWatch (http://bit.ly/c9HrTq)

Xenos
11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
This is simple: hit movie verses a very mildly successful movie. Incredibly successful movie toy line verses one that went on clearance in most stores. But - here's another way of looking at things: what if they use TF:Prime as a lead in to Renegades? What if they advertise Joe during the breaks on Prime? Well then, you are drawing even more kids to your show, right? The trick is getting them to know the Hub even exists. Once you get them there, you want to keep them. Prime is going to bring in more kids than Renegades would on its own. Renegades needs a little boost to get it going. Just think about it in terms about all the shows that used to come on between Friends and ER in the 90s. Some made it, others didn't, but they all at least got watched while they sat in that time slot. Isn't that what you want - to at least get the show watched? I think this is what Hasbro is doing with the Hub.

I think this is pretty much exactly what they are doing. They know that Transformers is more likely to pull people to the station then GI Joe is, so they advertise for Transformers. That's also why they are going to play TF right before Joe, so that everyone that came to see TF will maybe stick around for Joe. I think it's a smart idea.

gunslingercbr
11-04-2010, 07:45 PM

do you honestly think G.I. Joe and Transformers are equal in the market? if you do, your disappointment is your own doing. if not, you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed. G.I. Joe gets the publicity that it has earned. it isn't 1985 anymore.

The L.O.C.
11-10-2010, 04:48 AM
do you honestly think g.i. Joe and transformers are equal in the market? If you do, your disappointment is your own doing. If not, you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed. G.i. Joe gets the publicity that it has earned. It isn't 1985 anymore.

qft

TSHawkeye
11-10-2010, 05:34 AM
I gotta agree with most of the above posts, were lucky to have anything as Joe fans. Transformers was an incredibly sucsesful movie, making a lot of money and selling a lot of toys. Star Wars, for as much as everyone hated the last few movies is a proven seller, able to sustain a few different lines. Right away Joe is third and that's just action figures, not counting all the other brands they have. I know I have spent more on Littlest Pet Shop for my daughter than I have on Joes for me. I'm just happy the line is still going, be it ROC, POC or Renagades.

sharky
11-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll take the small offering of POC over all the new Transformer junk any day of the week. I've just lost all interest in Tranformers. Materpiece collection being the exception.

D00MTR0N
11-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I'll take the small offering of POC over all the new Transformer junk any day of the week. I've just lost all interest in Tranformers. Materpiece collection being the exception.
yes but you have to admit that new soundwave is a nice nod to his g1 version

kennywr22
11-10-2010, 01:22 PM
I fully understand that transformers and even star wars are much bigger than Joe, no doubt.my point was just I hope Hasbro gives this Joe cartoon a big push and promotes it heavy, because its gonna need good advertisement to get kids to notice. I would like to see Joe get big again is all and I feel renegades could do it. Although no trailer yet, and just a 30 second snippet of the Joe's talking isn't what I was hoping for. We shall see.

Sgt. Airborne
11-10-2010, 01:24 PM
While there might be two successful Transformers movies, both were pretty aweful. Visually they were fun to watch, but I don't think plot-wise they are only slightly better than GI Joe which a majority seem to think was dreck.

I think it is more of a case that Transformers has stayed more in the public eye~consciousness over the years with the various "generations" / shows / verisons than GI Joe has.

Baron Samedi
11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Quite honestly, I look forward to seeing the TF: Prime toys. The Decepticon cars look sick as hell, and Soundwave... a Predator Drone? SICK.

Show me Brawl as an Abrams, and I am sold.

blayze5150
11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
My best friend is a avid Transformers guy. I still wouldn't give up Joes for it. I envy the Star Wars guys more than the TF guys, though. If an extra accidently walked onto the set of a SW film and got caught on camera, he has an action figure. We can't even get ME versions of core characters like Zarana and Lifeline!

DPrime
11-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't know, TF can be pretty inconsistent. I hate that they never reissued all the cars (Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, etc) or screwed up the Alternator line, which was simply awesome most of the time... And I don't care for any of the non G1 type stuff - it's just rehash after rehash after rehash.

I know they're sort of going this route with GI Joe, but not to the same extent, and at least the lines fit with each other - I mean, POC or Resolute Duke could just as well be RAH Duke, but in different gear.

cl1ff53c0rd
11-24-2010, 02:49 AM
As far as being a Transformers Fan goes, G1 is where it started and ended for me...The Films have been ridiculous for the most case plotwise, the comedy has been an embarrassment, the story convoluted with a piece of "magic metal" that both kills a-n-d ressurects them at the same time...make sense of that how you please, but at least as far as huge robots throwing each other through buildings goes, it's quite a pleasure to watch...it's only the screwed up robot designs that disappoint at times...but Sideways as an Audi R8 was pretty awesome, for his 5-minute debut...

optimussolo
11-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Best thing about being a TF fan is that the TF Fandom wastes no time getting COMPLETE episodes on Youtube unlike the GIJoe fandom who 24 hour laters only has short clips!!

Shin Densetsu
11-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Best thing about being a TF fan is that the TF Fandom wastes no time getting COMPLETE episodes on Youtube unlike the GIJoe fandom who 24 hour laters only has short clips!!

Then again, some of the guys uploading used to do the same for TF Animated, so it was easy for them to upload PRIME real quick.

Nonetheless, the HUB will be putting Renegades up for stream.

the odinson
11-27-2010, 04:19 PM
i'm glad gi joe doesn't have a new crappy reboot cartoon out every other year. more toys, sure, but i'm happy w/ what we've gotten over the past few years (toy wise). and all it took was one bad movie, a mini series, and a questionable ongoing cartoon.

miscreant
11-27-2010, 04:34 PM
....sometimes more so as many tfs get made also over seas but in better deco (case in point the seaspray voyager here vs the one overseas looking mroe G1ish) but i think that sometimes the tf world does have it a bit easier.

Well pretty much all toys are made overseas.

As for better deco TFs being released overseas, in Asia TFs cost twice as much as they do in the US, which is why they sometimes add an extra 20 cents worth of paint.

As for G1 specific decos: In the US the name "Transformers" is synonymous with shape-changing robots, and the brand has generally sold very well since G1 with the odd low point.

Some international markets, not so much, which is why Takara keep going back to G1, more so than Hasbro.

Trust me, many Transformer fans in Asian markets believe THEY get the short end of the stick. They have to pay more for toys and sometimes wait longer for them too... Takara have skiped quite a few of the TFs Hasbro have put out, and when they don't they're often released several months after the Hasbro, and as i mentioned at a much higher price.

...although international popularity is a large part of why TFs are getting a lot of support. G.I.Joe just doesn't have the same profile overseas.

Shin Densetsu
11-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Well pretty much all toys are made overseas.

As for better deco TFs being released overseas, in Asia TFs cost twice as much as they do in the US, which is why they sometimes add an extra 20 cents worth of paint.

As for G1 specific decos: In the US the name "Transformers" is synonymous with shape-changing robots, and the brand has generally sold very well since G1 with the odd low point.

Some international markets, not so much, which is why Takara keep going back to G1, more so than Hasbro.

Trust me, many Transformer fans in Asian markets believe THEY get the short end of the stick. They have to pay more for toys and sometimes wait longer for them too... Takara have skiped quite a few of the TFs Hasbro have put out, and when they don't they're often released several months after the Hasbro, and as i mentioned at a much higher price.

...although international popularity is a large part of why TFs are getting a lot of support. G.I.Joe just doesn't have the same profile overseas.

The specific reason why TakaraTomy's releases of Transformers are more catered towards collectors is because the collector's market in Asia is larger than the kid's market. The birth rate in Japan reached an all time low years back, and since then, the Japanese toy companies have placed emphasis on collectors' toys rather than aiming the majority at kids. Not to mention, in Japan and some countries in Asia, toy collecting by adults is socially acceptable, it's not looked down upon nor looked at as solely for kids as it is in the US.

In addition, while TakaraTomy does skip out on some Hasbro releases every now and then, they do have some kick ass exlusives. For example, their Buster Optimus Prime(s) from the ROTF line are currently the best movie Optimus Prime figures made.

Transformers is huge in Asia, even to the point that there is now a huge convention for Transformers there(forgot the name), where many of the upcoming Generations/RTS figures were revealed before they were shown here.

Transformers in the US did okay up until the G1 1986 movie, after killing off Optimus Prime, to bring about a new cast of core characters, the line ended up dying off, bringing Prime back both in the cartoon, and in the toyline as Powermaster Prime was not enough to save it, and G1 died here in the late 80's. Whereas in Europe and Japan, Transformers never ended. It wouldn't be until 1992 that Transformers would return with a full line in the US, and since then we've had some ups and downs. Beast Wars brought forth a resurgence, Beast Machines wasn't as popular, RID did alright(though its significance and relevance is oft overlooked), the Armada trilogy did well successfully and the Bay-verse movies skyrocketed the brand's popularity.

G1 is popular with collectors in Japan, and characters such as Hot Rod(Rodimus), took off moreso there than here.

Troynos
11-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Transformers sells a whole lot more then Joe, hence it gets more hype/press/billing/special then Joe.

alcoholic ewok
11-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Plus the TF cartoon gets better voice actors.

Dwayne Johnson
Markie Post (hehe...while Lee Majors is voicing Hawk on GI Joe)
Frank Welker!
Peter Cullen!!!

How'd they get the voices of Megatron and Optimus Prime for the sho........oh. Makes sense.

Shin Densetsu
11-27-2010, 07:56 PM
Plus the TF cartoon gets better voice actors.

Dwayne Johnson
Markie Post (hehe...while Lee Majors is voicing Hawk on GI Joe)
Frank Welker!
Peter Cullen!!!

How'd they get the voices of Megatron and Optimus Prime for the sho........oh. Makes sense.

From what I remember, The Rock is going to be on Renegades too.

elanmars
11-28-2010, 04:04 AM
that new transformers cartoon has terrible designs. i hope it has stellar writing to tolerate such mediocre, movie inspired mixed with the last animated, designs.

miscreant
11-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Whereas in Europe and Japan, Transformers never ended.

G2 ended in Europe in iirc, 95, and Beast Wars didn't start there until 97. 98 in the UK.

Japan, (again iirc) there was a few years between Operation Combination and G2.

XAMOT
12-04-2010, 02:05 PM
It is. I should know I am one.