PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ARAH episodes by those who generally don't like ARAH today

SmokedPorter
10-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Growing up, I loved the Sunbow ARAH show. Since I purchased the boxset (I'm glad I did) last year, I've gone through each episode once. And I agree with many others here, it just hasn't aged well. A lot of the plots are just horrible. The comic was much better.

But there were a few episodes that were quite enjoyable & well written. (I think Season 2 was much better & not just because of the new characters). I'm sure there's been many 'favorite episode' threads, but I'd be interested what the favorite episodes are of those that generally don't hold a high opinion of the old Sunbow show today. Maybe I'll make a couple 'best of' DVDs at some point, or at least put some favorites on the iPod for our son on car trips.

-COBRA'S CREATURES. I'm not really a fan of the episodes where the plot revolves around some sci-fi weapon that is used once & then forgotten about. But I loved the weapon that controlled all the animals, including Junkyard for a bit.

-Can't remember the name of this one, but I think Ripcord falls through a mountain that was just a hologram, where a Cobra base is. That one was great.

CVdelgado
10-24-2010, 07:25 AM
"worlds without end" pt 1 and 2 are pretty sweet.

T J Bang
10-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I liked the one where Slaughter is mistaken for wetsuit.

"Yeah, Wetsuit will do fine"

SmokedPorter
10-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I also like the one where Zarana infiltrates the Joes & ends up hitting it off with Mainframe.

hantei40
10-24-2010, 08:37 AM
The Traitor- I really didn't like Dusty before that, and it made Extensive Enterprises seem more real and malevolent like they should be (as Sunbow cartoons go, of course)

Zartanman
10-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Well there are a lot of episodes I don't like but I'll list my top five that I do.

1. Worlds Without End 1 & 2.
2. The Traitor
3. No Place like Springfield 1 & 2.
4. The Gods Below
5. Memories of Mara

JoeMama
10-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Worlds without End, single greatest Joe concept / show from original era.

sonofdestro
10-24-2010, 12:34 PM
The Arise Serpentor Arise five part mini-series was my favorite as a kid, and still is today. I thought the inclusion of DNA, genetic engineering, and historical baddies made for an intricate plot considering it was a kids show. It taught me about DNA, and got me interested in history.

10-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Let's play solider

PitViper
10-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Countdown For Zartan.

If I'm not mistaken, Spirit and SS have a pretty good fight during it...and that's where Spirit let SS out of the cell out of respect.

2 of my favorite characters and I think that concept was pretty deep for a kids cartoon.

Woo-Dig-It
10-24-2010, 02:19 PM
One of my favorites when I was a kid was "The Gamesmaster" where the kingpins cousin kidnaps Flint, Lady J, Cobra Cmdr, and the Baroness and have to survive being attacted by toy weapons. The Joes and Cobras have to work together for a change and side by side instead of against each other. As an adult, it's pretty cheezy but still alot of fun. I like the nods between characters as they were helping each other out, like Zartan and Scarlett.
Zartan: "You're good."
Scarlett: "The competition keeps us in shape."
chesse but good. :)

Woo-Dig-It
10-24-2010, 02:20 PM
I agree that another good one was the Worlds without end p1-2. Classic parallel dimension comic book style story.

Woo-Dig-It
10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Was it "Money to Burn" or something like that, where Cobra makes a device to destroy all the currency in the world. Now there's a wild story line for ya.... :)

steve2477
10-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Satellite Down, Worlds Without End, Flint's Vacation, Hearts and Cannons, Jungle Trap, Haul Down the Heavens, Synthoid Conspiracy.

GI C
10-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Hearts and Canons was hilarious.The bantering between Footloose and Dusty was pure gold.I stared watching some of the episodes and here are the others favs:

Synthoid conspiracy
20 questions

There are a few others

solid_strider
10-24-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm surprised The Viper is Coming hasn't shown up on this yet. Mine is Once Upon a Joe, then Viper, then Worlds Without End.

rocker82
10-24-2010, 03:09 PM
For me it's "Cold Slither" were Zartan and the Dreadnoks are playing as metal band.

Zartanman
10-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm surprised The Viper is Coming hasn't shown up on this yet. Mine is Once Upon a Joe, then Viper, then Worlds Without End.

The "Viper is coming" was one of the most ANNOYING episodes EVER. LOL If only because we had to listen to barbeque's accent every time he answered the damn phone.

"Whadja Say?" LOL

SmokedPorter
10-24-2010, 03:57 PM
For me it's "Cold Slither" were Zartan and the Dreadnoks are playing as metal band.

One of my favorites when I was a kid was "The Gamesmaster" where the kingpins cousin kidnaps Flint, Lady J, Cobra Cmdr, and the Baroness and have to survive being attacted by toy weapons. The Joes and Cobras have to work together for a change and side by side instead of against each other. As an adult, it's pretty cheezy but still alot of fun...

Yeah these are the opposite of what I had in mind. ;)

But to each their own...

jcast
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm the opposite. I watched the cartoon loyally as a kid, but started to really dislike it as I got older. When Joe came back, I watched some episodes again and started to appreciate them.

I'm surprised that "There's No Place Like Springfield" hasn't been mentioned yet.

5h4rK
10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Iceberg Goes South is my all-time favorite.... ok not really lol!
My favorite ep. as a kid was the one where every Joe member was confronted to their baddest nightmare.. but I don't remember the title of that one!

solid_strider
10-24-2010, 07:03 PM
The "Viper is coming" was one of the most ANNOYING episodes EVER. LOL If only because we had to listen to barbeque's accent every time he answered the damn phone.

"Whadja Say?" LOL

Barbeque's exaggerated New England accent is one of the reasons why I love it, and also one of the reasons why my wife hates it! I also thought it was hilarious that Blowtorch also had that same accent.

SparkyMan
10-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Once Upon A Joe was epic. The stories shipwreck told should have been a spin off.

Dom
10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
As a UK kid Arise Serpentor Arise and the movie were the 2 main VHS tapes I had and I still love those now.

I have only just statreted watching the original series and it has not aged that badly. Some awesome gaffs such as Duke asking Torpedo in Revenge of Cobra " Hows it look from the seaside Pedo?"

EduardimusPrime
10-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I liked "The Viper"

Loved that Snake eyes was a DJ. Hahaha!

ChaplainAsst
10-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Typically, I would say the Mini-Series were the best. They were often well thought out and action packed. I might exclude the third mini-series (furry furies) but it still wasn't bad.

Desert Cat
10-27-2010, 10:10 AM
My all time favorite is "Skeletons in the Closet". Many could guess that because a few of my customs have been based on this episode. It was a little cheesy with the one-eyed monster, but did give you a little back story into Destros origins.

VideoViper
10-27-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't know the name of the ep, but It involved some lady who was consumed by her looks, In the end she uses Mindbender's machine to make herself younger, but ends with her face getting ripped apart, Doc says something like "I'll do what I can to help, but there's not much I can do."

Cue the happy ending music so it appears to end on a happy note, forrgetting about the screamming woman with the missing face.

(Pre ROC,someone used this ep to show that the cartoon was more adult than we remembered.)

BigFore
10-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I loved the MASS Device as a kid. The glee of going home and catching the episodes of the mini series every day was amazing. The Revenge of Cobra was also pretty good, even with the cheese, "Snake is sneak spelled sideways." I recently rewatched both of them, and it reminded me why I disliked Duke, all he did was get captured.

The Most Dangerous Thing in the World is another...where Dial-Tone, Lifeline, and Shipwreck get promotions. This one stuck with me through life because of Hawk's quote at the end. To Dial-Tone, "You have the desire to lead, but lack the capability", to Lifeline, "You have the capability to lead, but lack the desire," to Shipwreck, "You lack both the capability and the desire to lead."

I liked the episodes involving Destro's family. First, where the Joes follow Destro to his castle and they find out that Lady Jaye and Destro are related. And the second where Dial-tone is removed from the Joes to try and summon the beast.

It's been mentioned before, but Worlds Without End was great.

Not a Ghost of a Chance was another of my long-time favorites. It paints a very diverse picture of the Joes. It's the one where Hawk and Lady Jaye are on 20 Questions and they are discussing the loss of the spy plane. Flint thinks Lady Jaye is planning something with the pilot of the Ghost since he is an old flame of hers.

With all this said, I would be amiss to not say the opening to GI Joe the Movie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN034sBeF4c) is the best 3:08 of GI Joe Animation.

luigi
10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Once Upon A Joe was epic. The stories shipwreck told should have been a spin off.
hey i just noticed this when i was doing a post on post your own past and present that fits here to
these are the posts click on the other thread .........
yes this is on the other one too i know

strato vipers from once upon a joe
http://www.joetoonarchive.com/albums/S2%200005%20Once%20Upon/0009.gif
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l623/luigi_swayze/DSCF0055-1.jpg?t=1288110534

GI C
10-27-2010, 07:09 PM
There was one episode that I liked from the 1986 seans where Slipstream and a female Strado Viper must work togather on an to escape a monster in an evacuated lab.

blackrazor1
10-27-2010, 11:25 PM
There was one episode that I liked from the 1986 seans where Slipstream and a female Strado Viper must work togather on an to escape a monster in an evacuated lab.

I like that episode too. I would have liked to see Raven come back as a Joe pilot.

heltskelt
10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Countdown For Zartan.

If I'm not mistaken, Spirit and SS have a pretty good fight during it...and that's where Spirit let SS out of the cell out of respect.

2 of my favorite characters and I think that concept was pretty deep for a kids cartoon.

The respect between Storm Shadow & Spirit is established in "The Revenge of Cobra" parts 3&4. I hadn't watched the cartoons since the 80's and watching that now in the HUB i thought of the deep concept presented to kids as well by their actions. Spirit saves SS in part 3, and SS returns the favor in part 4, and tells Spirit that they are now even and that the next time they meet it will be as enemies.

MeLikeJinx
10-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Wow. So like I was watching some of the old Sunbow Joe cartoon since it is now airing on the HUB and man... they kind of suck. LOL. I don't think I will have a fav ep. LOL.

Frank Talltree
10-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Did somebody say "Pond of llamas"?

T J Bang
10-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Which one had the Joes make Dial-tone think he had been fired only to have him be propositioned by Cobra in his dank flat so they can figure out what cobra is up to. A-holes.

GI C
10-29-2010, 06:20 PM
I have watched a few of the DVD's that I have.I have 1.2 and 1.3.I give Shout Factory great marks for video quality.I wished they got the rights to TMNT and not Lions gate.I love them.Yeah,there are some episodes that make you go,ugh but some are very entertaining.