PDA

View Full Version : GIJoe DIC Cartoon episodes on Dvd

The UK GIJoe
09-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Now that we've got the release of all the Season 1 & 2 on Dvd will we soon see the DIC episodes (Operation DragonFire e.t.c) made available on Dvd format? I do hope so as I'd like to add these to my Joe Dvd Collection.

Shogi
09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
It's been asked over at the Shout Factory forums. The head guy over there (Brian Ward) has said that they've discussed making the DVD's but that's as far as it's gone.

I get the impression, it's like they've been in a meeting and someone may have said "Those GI Joe fans seem interested in the DiC GI Joe cartoon too, should we release a DVD?

I think that's as far as that's gone right now. Also Ward wrote over there that he didn't think Operation Dragonfire was enough for a single DVD release since it's just the first handful of episodes (as he put it)

So basically it comes down to right now, nothing is being made, but the idea is out there. I figure if it looks profitable to them, then they'll make it

nickvree
09-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I think they should make it, but as it won't be as popular as the Sunbow sets, they'll probably make it online only, and a tad more expensive. Which I'd be totally ok with imo, if that's what it takes to get made.

Headman
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm tired of looking at my crappy bootlegs. I want a high quality official set sooooooo bad. If the New Adventures of He-Man can get a dvd release the GI Joe DIC series should too.

rsg
09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
G.I. Joe (1990 version produced by DiC)

The 1984 series produced by Sunbow is now entirely on DVD thanks to Shout! Factory, and the 1987 production of G.I. Joe: The Movie will be re-released by them shortly (7/27/2010) on both DVD and Blu-ray Disc. Some fans of the franchise consider the 1990 series produced by DiC Entertainment to be a continuation of the Sunbow program, and wonder whether it will make it to DVD. Note that DiC (which was absorbed by Cookie Jar Entertainment in 2008) does NOT own the rights to that production; Hasbro does. Shout!'s upcoming release of G.I. Joe: The Movie fulfills all of the current Hasbro licenses they were given; Hasbro has not licensed the DiC Joe to Shout! (neither have the licensed Jem, or Transformers: the Movie, or Inhumanoids, Visionaries or classic My Little Pony for that matter...at least at the time of this writing). So it's as simple as that: Shout! has no rights to the the DiC program at this time. Rumors are that Hasbro does not think there is a big enough fan base for the DiC series, and that it represents a lesser quality production compared to the Sunbow-produced show, and plus more iterations of the Joe franchise on the market at the same time might confuse more casual customers. Could Shout! still possibly release it down the road? Sure, and the studio is kicking it around a bit with Hasbro (and with DiC/Cookie Jar, for whatever clearances they would need to provide)...but it's still a longshot at this point. We've been asked if Shout! could release it as one of their online-exclusive DVD titles, instead of a general release. Yes, that's a possibility, too, we're sure...and Shout! is certainly aware of that as an option. Keep in mind, however, that whatever a number of fans want to believe about the DiC show being a "continuation" of the Sunbow show, Shout!'s DVD producer Brian Ward has passed along that Hasbro does NOT consider it so...therefore that is not leverage which will get the rights-holders (Hasbro) to budge on any of the other obstacles.

Taken from the "What's the Hold Up FAQ" @ TVShowsonDVD.com
Take it for what you will but based on that info I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Dom
10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Im sick of bootlegs too. Hell Pirates of fricking Darkwater is getting a DVD release.

turner
10-13-2010, 08:55 AM
A DIC release would be cool. A M.A.S.K. release would be nice too.

ChaplainAsst
10-13-2010, 10:57 AM
It is interesting that Shout doesn't have rights to the Transformers movie either. Does Hasbro now not consider that canon - although episodes built off of it are?

Rainbow Viper
10-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I definitely think we will see it released eventually. Maybe they are waiting for the right moment. I know a lot of the episodes are blatantly silly but many were still very good. Operation Dragonfire is still probably my favorite episode(s) of all the Joe cartoons. Hopefully we will at least see it on the Hub. I have faith. =]

JR0d28
10-13-2010, 05:34 PM
MEH!!!
Not in high demand, animation and voices were not even made w/ effort.

ChaplainAsst
10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm starting to think this will go the way of the Star Wars Holiday special. When the folks who own the rights loath it, it never re-appears. Ever.

Shogi
10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
It is interesting that Shout doesn't have rights to the Transformers movie either. Does Hasbro now not consider that canon - although episodes built off of it are?

I'm sure they consider it canon. It's probably more to do with the fact that when Shout got the Transformers license (Back in early 2009) Sony had just released the movie 2 years prior. Hasbro probably figured why have Shout release the movie again so soon after Sony did?

rsg
10-13-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm starting to think this will go the way of the Star Wars Holiday special. When the folks who own the rights loath it, it never re-appears. Ever.

I don't think Hasbro hates it that bad. Didn't Lucas try and have every copy destroyed? That's some serious shame.

ETA: And if Howard the Duck can make it to DVD, despite Georgie-boy's very well known feelings about that film then there is definite hope for fans of the DiC series.

Dom
10-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I don`t think we are in Holiday Special territory. OK its not thee greatest work out there, but its better than some of the stuff they have released. It would be interesting to know how many downloads of the DIC series there have been

ero
01-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Was the DiC series ever released? Even on VHS?

takedown
01-30-2011, 03:17 AM
Taken from the "What's the Hold Up FAQ" @ TVShowsonDVD.com
Take it for what you will but based on that info I wouldn't be holding my breath.

So what we are saying, our best bet to get it on dvd. Is to show interest, by writing to "ThisTV" station network and ask if they could air M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and GI JOE (DIC) during cookiejar programming. Then eventually if enough interest they might release it to dvd.

THISTV which has the programming blocks of "cookie jar kids Network" presently airs Stargate Infinity, Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, Pink Panther and others.

rsg
01-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Was the DiC series ever released? Even on VHS?

I believe a few select episodes made it, you could check ebay or just look for the episodes online.

So what we are saying, our best bet to get it on dvd. Is to show interest, by writing to "ThisTV" station network and ask if they could air M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and GI JOE (DIC) during cookiejar programming. Then eventually if enough interest they might release it to dvd.

THISTV which has the programming blocks of "cookie jar kids Network" presently airs Stargate Infinity, Heathcliff, Inspector Gadget, Pink Panther and others.

At the very least you could try but with Hasbro having their own network now, it seems unlikely to me that they would license out what the seem to consider "inferior product" while they are airing Renegades and the Sunbow ARAH episodes.

Also keep in mind, DIC was purchased by Cookie Jar and Kenner(owner of M.A.S.K.) was bought by Hasbro - there could be(and probably are) legal issues regarding ownership rights and that could delay any activity with these two shows. Check out Blade Runner and it's long running rights issues, which took around a decade to sort out. I'm just guessing but I would say Blade Runner is far more profitable than either of these shows and, if it took that long...well, hope you're prepared for the long haul.

I wouldn't mind seeing either of them on DVD, though honestly I'd be more interested in MASK than the DiC version of ARAH. You could probably find the full runs of both shows somewhere on the net, I know it's not the same but until whatever the problem really is gets settled, that's all anyone will probably get.

Steel Brigade
02-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I think Shout! will release the DIC series in a box set at some point... Joe has been one of their best sellers... & heck it was announced that GOBOTS is getting the MOD DVD Treatment from WB today, & I never thought that classic show would see a legit DVD release...

rsg
02-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Here's the thread on Shout Factory LINK (http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/1552/thread.aspx#14034) for anyone interested. It'll take you to Shout relaying Hasbro's stance on the DiC series.

Ask them if they managed to acquire the rights from Hasbro.

If you guys really want to see this show get a DVD release, I think you're going to need to get Hasbro's attention - show them there is a real interest and following for the show. Right now, it has less than 700 votes at TVShowsOnDVD - that doesn't seem like anywhere near enough. Vote or start a petition, they way I'm seeing this - there is no way this show gets released without massive fan interest.