PDA

View Full Version : WTF is happening to my Joes???

DrKain
09-21-2010, 01:07 AM
So I moved my Joe collection to another room, however, something most troubling has happened. I go to grab Headman and only his upper body lifts up, the lower body stays right where it was. That is right, his rubber band snapped who knows when, but I have no idea how. Then I go to grab Zaranna and the same thing had happened. Same goes for Lt Gorsky, Dragonsky, Lady Jaye, and like two others. Problem is, these aren't even original Joes, these are from the more recent comic packs and Joe vs Cobra line. What the hell happened? How did the rubber brands break when they were just standing on the shelf and not touched???????????

helrod
09-21-2010, 01:11 AM
they are old its dry rot
same as a car tire sitting in a junk yard

JediKnutt
09-21-2010, 01:12 AM
It's called dry rot and they will all do it eventually.

DrKain
09-21-2010, 01:13 AM
But some of these were bought last year.

Echo7Solo
09-21-2010, 01:17 AM
a few people have said the newer O rings are not as good as the old ones. I'd just go and get a bag of them and replace them. Back when I was into O-ring joes I'd get a bunch of them to keep on hand to replace ones that would break.

Lantern_Lad
09-21-2010, 01:24 AM
a few people have said the newer O rings are not as good as the old ones. I'd just go and get a bag of them and replace them. Back when I was into O-ring joes I'd get a bunch of them to keep on hand to replace ones that would break.

This... exactly. I have the same problem with all of the 'O'-ring figures from the last several years. Especially the troop-builder packs like Cobra soldiers... and those are especially crappy, because many of their upper bodies are glued together as well.

puma
09-21-2010, 01:31 AM
i keep a bag full of "o" rings just for this situation.the only worry is for the t hooks when they snap.. you've had it unless u got extras lying around.

Buzzetta
09-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Wait until he discovers that the plastic used throughout the 80's is decomposing and breaking down as I type this. I noticed that my ARAH collection seemed to become more and more fragile as the years passed despite my best efforts to retain factory fresh.

That was why I sold off everything. Didn't seem to be good business sense in holding onto things that would eventually crumble.

Black Swan
09-21-2010, 04:04 AM
I had this happen to the Sgt. Stalker from the LRRP
comic 3 pack with Tommy Arashikage and CLASSIFIED SE, the o-ring just snapped off. I had replace them all with new o-rings.I guess they don't make them like they use to or as the saying goes.

CrimsonGuard101
09-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Just be glad you can fix the 0-ring bands...imagine if this happned to your 25th joes...there is no replacement torso pipes availble lol...youd have to buy more regular joes or copies of the faulty figure to cannablize them for replacement parts

alexan2dros
09-21-2010, 04:36 AM
same think happent to me also.. and i notice it the problem it was bigger t the ones who i gave them new o-rings..

ScarecrowMan666
09-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Does anyone know where I can get replacement o rings?

samantha
09-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Dry Rot sucks. I have had to replace many of my ARAH figures O-rings.

samantha
09-21-2010, 05:19 AM

Home Depot or Lowes.

DrKain
09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
How would I know what size is right if I'm going to one of those places?

gunslingercbr
09-21-2010, 09:14 AM

just because you bought them last year doesn't mean they were made last year. the o rings are all several years old, that is all that matters.

CV2.0
09-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Sounds like your house may be haunted.

Who you gonna call?

Shogi
09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
It could have less to do with dry rot and more to do with the size of the o-Ring

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/Shogi88/Repro%20stickers/oringsize.jpg

In the picture above you see three different sized o-rings. The far left is a replacement one from ebay, the middle is from the crimson Cobra Commander who's head you see there and the far right one is from a female figure from the VvV line (possibly Jinx)

Now that middle o-ring is what they were using for most of the figures, the OP is having problems with. That same o-ring can easily fit inside of the larger o-ring. The smaller o-rings are going to have a greater amount of stress put on them which is going to break them quicker and easier than vintage o-rings which were larger. (There may be a quality of rubber factor in this equation as well, but I can't prove or disprove that)

JohnnyAngel77
09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
just because you bought them last year doesn't mean they were made last year. the o rings are all several years old, that is all that matters.
Damn, he beat me to it. :)

ScarecrowMan666
09-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Home Depot or Lowes.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to look in those places...I don't think I've ever been in either store. lol

NeoDragonKnight
09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
You can get bags of replacement O-rings cheap on ebay.

Shogi
09-21-2010, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't even know where to begin to look in those places...I don't think I've ever been in either store. lol

Plumbing section, they usually have a small section of the wall with a bunch of different sized o-rings just like they do with screws. I think I used to get Lowes #8 (they've probably changed the designation since then though) I want to say that it'll cost $2-$3 for a bag of 10 o-rings or so getting them from Lowes or Home Depot (It's been a few years since I've bought from them though so I could be wrong)

Honestly, this is your best deal out there (IMO) 200 GI Joe 3 3/4 replacement o-rings bands FREES&H - eBay (item 310252671214 end time Sep-25-10 23:46:10 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/200-GI-Joe-3-3-4-replacement-o-rings-bands-FREES-H-/310252671214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483c8010ee)

I've bought from the guy twice now and have been using his o-rings for 6 years or so

Zartanman
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Also something to consider. If you are keeping them in the upper part of your house, rubber is especially vulnerable to constant changes in temperature.

If you store them where they constantly the warm and then cold they will break much more quickly than if the temperature remains constant.

Fierce Krypton
09-21-2010, 11:27 AM
sounds like more than dry rot to me with them all breaking at the same time, significant temp change from room to room? moisture level? a lot more sun? something like that might be a factor.

Mercenary696
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Wait until he discovers that the plastic used throughout the 80's is decomposing and breaking down as I type this. I noticed that my ARAH collection seemed to become more and more fragile as the years passed despite my best efforts to retain factory fresh.

That was why I sold off everything. Didn't seem to be good business sense in holding onto things that would eventually crumble.

I noticed this too with my old joes. My Major Bludd, which was in near mint to mint condition broke at the knees when I tried to move it. I tried to bend the other knee and it broke in three places. It was totally brittle.

What I think about is the newer 25th style joes. Anyone remember Super Joe? I used to have some of them. Back in the early 90's, all the joints and the hands disintergrated. ALL of them did. You can't find an original figure with original rubber parts on them. That only took about 15 years to fall apart.

Now look at your 25th joes. Look at the hands, arms and lower legs and feet. They are all made out of rubbery plastic. How long before they fall apart? They are not made entirely out of hard plastic like the 80's ones.

bluebikerboy1
09-21-2010, 01:49 PM
i keep a bag full of "o" rings just for this situation.the only worry is for the t hooks when they snap.. you've had it unless u got extras lying around.

warning cheap plug

I have t hooks available in the store :)
Welcome to Jason's Joes and More (http://www.jasonsjoesandmore.com)
also have orings too

cobralalalala!
09-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Take this opportunity to make a great battle dio, body parts everywhere!

Buzzetta
09-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I noticed this too with my old joes. My Major Bludd, which was in near mint to mint condition broke at the knees when I tried to move it. I tried to bend the other knee and it broke in three places. It was totally brittle.

What I think about is the newer 25th style joes. Anyone remember Super Joe? I used to have some of them. Back in the early 90's, all the joints and the hands disintergrated. ALL of them did. You can't find an original figure with original rubber parts on them. That only took about 15 years to fall apart.

Now look at your 25th joes. Look at the hands, arms and lower legs and feet. They are all made out of rubbery plastic. How long before they fall apart? They are not made entirely out of hard plastic like the 80's ones.

I honestly think that the give in the current plastic will allow these figures to stay in better shape as the years go by. The paint apps may go before the plastic itself does.

bigvig
09-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Its easy to take a sample to a hardware store, ask someone where the O rings are and compare them till you get the right size.

Guys, Im not buying the plastic is breaking down, not one bit. Plastic is going to be here for a LONG time. Ive written about this on this site before because someone was saying the same thing (might have been Buzzetta even) so Ill sum it up quickly: Plastic does NOT decompose. It is not organic. In PRIME conditions (direct sunlight), scientists estimate it will take 500-1000 or more years for a thin, plastic bag to break down. Im not buying that 30 year old, THICK plastic Joes are breaking down now. There may be MANY reason why that Joe broke where and when it did, Id be willing to bet ANYTHING its not because the plastic is breaking down. Now way, no how.

Mech-Viper
09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
i love the fact that my first joe still have their original o-ring, but i notice that has happened to a number of the newer o-rings, so its either dry rot or not playing with them , so use it or lose it

luigi
09-22-2010, 11:32 AM
i fix all my older o-ring up with a corps o-ring and get a hairband for the corps figure

tuan_tran73
09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
you need to keep your toy's room dark and at constant temperture of 70F, and the tolerance should be within <= 2F, and also low humidity. This can gurantee prolong the figures.

VideoViper
09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
WTF is happening to my Joes???

OMG! Cobra Commander's plan actually worked!

Headman
09-22-2010, 01:45 PM
So I moved my Joe collection to another room, however, something most troubling has happened. I go to grab Headman and only his upper body lifts up, the lower body stays right where it was.

Why are you grabbing me?

CV2.0
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Why are you grabbing me?

That's just my version of a "Friend" request.

Joseph
09-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd have figured we were all too young to be getting dry rot in our O-rings.

CV2.0
09-22-2010, 05:40 PM
I'd have figured we were all too young to be getting dry rot in our O-rings.

That's what she said.

crock master
09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
So I moved my Joe collection to another room, however, something most troubling has happened. I go to grab Headman and only his upper body lifts up, the lower body stays right where it was. That is right, his rubber band snapped who knows when, but I have no idea how. Then I go to grab Zaranna and the same thing had happened. Same goes for Lt Gorsky, Dragonsky, Lady Jaye, and like two others. Problem is, these aren't even original Joes, these are from the more recent comic packs and Joe vs Cobra line. What the hell happened? How did the rubber brands break when they were just standing on the shelf and not touched???????????

denver and that dry air.

07GT500 COBRA
09-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Its easy to take a sample to a hardware store, ask someone where the O rings are and compare them till you get the right size.

Guys, Im not buying the plastic is breaking down, not one bit. Plastic is going to be here for a LONG time. Ive written about this on this site before because someone was saying the same thing (might have been Buzzetta even) so Ill sum it up quickly: Plastic does NOT decompose. It is not organic. In PRIME conditions (direct sunlight), scientists estimate it will take 500-1000 or more years for a thin, plastic bag to break down. Im not buying that 30 year old, THICK plastic Joes are breaking down now. There may be MANY reason why that Joe broke where and when it did, Id be willing to bet ANYTHING its not because the plastic is breaking down. Now way, no how.

I have to agree here. I think it may have more to do with temperature, humidity factors as well as how often they're handled. Skin oil can have an acidic effect on the plastic I'll bet.

Then again, these were produced in China and at one point they were sticking lead in our toys. Could be they used cheap shit from the get go.

Redredly
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM

master collector

I don't have a big problem with the o-rings down here. In North Cackalackie we have a very humid climate. I've had to replace a few o-rings...but nothing out of the ordinary. I imagine that people in Nevada (or any drier climate) would go through them faster than I would.

Shogi
09-22-2010, 09:58 PM
master collector

I don't have a big problem with the o-rings down here. In North Cackalackie we have a very humid climate. I've had to replace a few o-rings...but nothing out of the ordinary. I imagine that people in Nevada (or any drier climate) would go through them faster than I would.

I don't know about the size of Master Collector's replacememnt o-rings, but I know the ones that they use for the convention figures are the small ones I talked about earlier (which are the same size as the VvV era ones)

cyko
09-22-2010, 11:11 PM
I just noticed this thread and had to laugh. It's crazy: in the past 3 months I've had maybe 10 O-rings spontaneously break. Comic pack Snake Eyes, NF Muskrat, and a Viper Pit guy all out on display. Then an '82 Cobra Trooper who is on the shelf but doesn't get any play. And an '86 CG in the closet waiting for his next assignment. I keep O-rings on hand (from GIJoeHeaven (http://www.gijoeheaven.com/) or eBay), so replacing them isn't a problem, but it was freaky when Snake Eyes went twice! I chalked it up to the dry air and summer heat.

I've also noticed, if the figure has never been opened, even taking care it's possible for the torso post to crack a bit as it unscrews. Brittle plastic. But once the O-ring has snapped, it's not really "mint" anymore anyway.

Buzzetta
09-22-2010, 11:31 PM

I disagree. Everything has always been kept in Rubbermaid containers since we were little due to Mom's anal retentiveness over "everything has a place." As adults figures were moved to individual ziplock bags and stored within Rubbermaid containers. I grew up and continue to live in air conditioned pet free environments.

Stormtroopers have yellowed, certain Joes such as Recondo from wave 3 became brittle. (two of three became brittle in the arms and thumbs) Certain plastics do seem to degrade no matter what. Perhaps it is the mix or the manufacturer...

What should be even more alarming is that in the recent Star Wars Q&A sessions someone brought up that they are seeing yellow stormtroopers still hanging on pegs in TRU.

Buzzetta
09-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I just noticed this thread and had to laugh. It's crazy: in the past 3 months I've had maybe 10 O-rings spontaneously break. Comic pack Snake Eyes, NF Muskrat, and a Viper Pit guy all out on display. Then an '82 Cobra Trooper who is on the shelf but doesn't get any play. And an '86 CG in the closet waiting for his next assignment. I keep O-rings on hand (from GIJoeHeaven (http://www.gijoeheaven.com/) or eBay), so replacing them isn't a problem, but it was freaky when Snake Eyes went twice! I chalked it up to the dry air and summer heat.

I've also noticed, if the figure has never been opened, even taking care it's possible for the torso post to crack a bit as it unscrews. Brittle plastic. But once the O-ring has snapped, it's not really "mint" anymore anyway.

This is what has kept me from buying any MOC ARAH Joes. It would kill me to know that a o-ring snapped while the figure was still sealed on the card and had not been touched nor played with.

Shogi
09-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I disagree. Everything has always been kept in Rubbermaid containers since we were little due to Mom's anal retentiveness over "everything has a place." As adults figures were moved to individual ziplock bags and stored within Rubbermaid containers. I grew up and continue to live in air conditioned pet free environments.

Stormtroopers have yellowed, certain Joes such as Recondo from wave 3 became brittle. (two of three became brittle in the arms and thumbs) Certain plastics do seem to degrade no matter what. Perhaps it is the mix or the manufacturer...

What should be even more alarming is that in the recent Star Wars Q&A sessions someone brought up that they are seeing yellow stormtroopers still hanging on pegs in TRU.

The most common theory I have heard is that the plastic isn't breaking down, but interacting with other plastic in it's environment. You say you have plastic figures sealed in plastic baggies that are themselves sealed in plastic totes. That's a lot of plastic all in the same area.

I know I've had a vintage Cobra Commander turn green on me by just sitting in a plastic container in an air conditioned room for a few years. Now, I don't know if it was changing color because of the plastic breaking down or because of it being in the container, but I know it wasn't because of sunlight (The leading cause of yellowing/greening)

Buzzetta
09-23-2010, 05:08 AM
The most common theory I have heard is that the plastic isn't breaking down, but interacting with other plastic in it's environment. You say you have plastic figures sealed in plastic baggies that are themselves sealed in plastic totes. That's a lot of plastic all in the same area.

I know I've had a vintage Cobra Commander turn green on me by just sitting in a plastic container in an air conditioned room for a few years. Now, I don't know if it was changing color because of the plastic breaking down or because of it being in the container, but I know it wasn't because of sunlight (The leading cause of yellowing/greening)

Before I get ready to take off for work, I wanted to add one other thing that I forgot to mention. While this is not plastic, nor Joes, it falls under the "crucial" (lol) category when it comes to storage of items.

More important to me than the Joes is some of the baseball memorabilia that I have slowly added to over the years. I am not actively going out buying piece after piece but when the whim strikes me, or I see a really great deal, or the Steiner store at the mall by me is having a special guest I have to get a autographed ball. Before the crowd goes crazy, it is a hell of a lot easier to find a MOC straight arm Snake Eyes at this point than to WATCH a few of the guys I have autograph a ball.

One such guy that signed a ball was a second year player at the time and when asked nicely actually used to autograph stuff. Now Derek Jeter doesn't sign anything unless he is getting paid. The future Captain signed a ball for well over ten years ago. This would have been around 1998 or 97.

Anyway, I have noticed that over the passage of time there is what looks to be a small areas of tanning on the opposite side of ball (opposite side from the signature) that fits the shape of a hand that would be cupping a ball or holding it in place with the left hand as you were signing it with the right. I have all the baseball memorabilia in individual ball and bat cubes and nothing is on display, nor have they ever been. I took it out over the summer to see what I had as I have been house hunting. Very sad when we as collectors look at homes or places and judge them by whether or not there will be enough space to showcase a collection.

So basically, I was shocked, amused, annoyed a bit but also enjoying the novelty of having a palm and partial finger prints from Jeter's sweaty hand on the leather.

Kind of cool but still it shows that everything is slowly aging and reacting to everything else.

bigvig
09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
First let me state, Im NOT talking about the rubber O rings. Those things dry rot and snap on their own, fact. That happens to rubber. The cheaper the rubber, the quicker it happens. Id be willing to bet that the old ARAH stuff used REAL plumbing O rings, stuff thats made to take years of abuse in wet, hot/cold environments. The new stuff is probably made by the toy maker, or another toy maker and its cheap junk. Just a guess.

As far as the plastic goes, there are far too many variables that arent being taken into account. Greasy hands, the paint, metals, the dye, the temps they were cooked at or set at, etc., etc., etc., and the list goes on. Its a FACT that it takes hundreds of years for plastic to break down, possibly thousands. A figure that discolors could do so for many, MANY reasons. It doesnt mean the plastic is breaking down.

As for the hand print on a baseball, yeah, that makes perfect sense. Youre talking about a piece of leather (a piece of skin off a once living animal) thats being handled by someone with sweaty, greasy, dirty hands. The ball is brand new, gets handled and then put away. 10 years later that print is more than likely going to show up because of a natural chemical reaction due to many things, including but not limited to, the natural acids. The sweat, grease or whatever else has soaked into the natural skin and eventually discolored. Not hard to figure out that would happen. Thats why old baseballs are so disgusting looking.

Also, as an artist, I NEVER sign anything in pen, PENCIL only. Any artist who knows what theyre doing does the same. Pen will eventually fade, bleed, discolor. Pencil doesnt. I also weat silk gloves when matting a print so the mat wont discolor down the road. There are also acid free mats that wont discolor prints like the cheap ones. LOTS of variables.

There is a lot involved in the making of Joes. Hard to say whats causing the discoloring for sure, but it certainly isnt the plastic breaking down after 1, 5, 15 or 25 years. Look at vinyl (plastic) siding: Some houses have had it for 20 or more years now, and its barely (if at all) faded. There are a lot of examples of plastic in every day life that hasnt changed much if at all over the past 20 or more years, so you cant say its plastic in general.

CV2.0
09-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Still going?

Porkchop Sandwiches
09-23-2010, 01:47 PM
If they were by something hot such as a window that dried out your rings.

CV2.0
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds like "magic" to me.

Have you upset any magicians recently?

darthdrew13
09-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Yeah, but when were they manufactured? I'll bet some JvC and VvV O-ring figs will have o-rings snap in the package soon. I think the quality of the o-rings are not as good as the vintage ones. Many of us have 1982 figs that still have pretty good o-rings (especially if you rotate them regularly).