PDA

View Full Version : Renegades Zartan thoughts.

kennywr22
09-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok so after seeing the info on zartan from the upcoming hub I was wondering how they are going to handle him. Zartan has always been my favorite from his first appearance in issue 24 in the original marvel run. I still remember how awesome he was when I opened my moccasin. Anyways, zartan has been done in few different ways over the years and I really didn't care for the whole crazy multiple personalailties in the ddp run. My zartan is the semi bad Guy who keeps doing the wrong thing but still has this underlying sense of bizzare honor. If you read the storm shadow graphic novel you have an idea what I mean. I love how he is a master at the bow and arrow and can kick ass. I hope they don't make him to much of a dumb thug in this cartoon. I have faith they will do him right. I'm really curious as to his look in this show.

Monkeywrench
09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
i hope they make him awesome

Shin Densetsu
09-21-2010, 02:38 AM
Ok so after seeing the info on zartan from the upcoming hub I was wondering how they are going to handle him. Zartan has always been my favorite from his first appearance in issue 24 in the original marvel run. I still remember how awesome he was when I opened my moccasin. Anyways, zartan has been done in few different ways over the years and I really didn't care for the whole crazy multiple personalailties in the ddp run. My zartan is the semi bad Guy who keeps doing the wrong thing but still has this underlying sense of bizzare honor. If you read the storm shadow graphic novel you have an idea what I mean. I love how he is a master at the bow and arrow and can kick ass. I hope they don't make him to much of a dumb thug in this cartoon. I have faith they will do him right. I'm really curious as to his look in this show.

Yeah I loved the way his character was portrayed in the comics. Dumb thug=lack of depth. I did like how his ordeal with Storm Shadow was somewhat ended in the mini-series.

Echo7Solo
09-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Ok, to start with I hate how everybody is connected to Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in one way or another. Zartan was cool enough on his own without having to tie them into that family. With the bio on Zartan it looks like they are not going to do this. I hope.

I do like the idea of him being a biker gang leader. It ties him to the noks. It just didn't make sense for this guy who is a major assassin hanging out with a bunch of people that got off the short bus and onto bikes. But I would like to see him effected by the technology. I mean if this is somebody who spends most of his time as somebody else there would be little wonder as to why he couldn't find himself.

Sailor_Joe
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I've heard the Dreadnoks compared to the characters of Sons of Anarchy. That is, motorcycle riding outlaws with connection within and outside the lines of the law. Coming from a biker family, I've seen how this works. I've always imagined Zartan and the 'Noks as this.

With Cobra being a corporation, I can see the role of the 'noks as the corporation's connection to the underworld. There are dozens of scenarios that could apply (weapons, drugs, "untested" items put on the street to see the demand). But all this would be the job of the Dreadnoks. Zartan, as their leader, is a true anarchist in which he see this as a means to dislodging the powers that be and replacing them with something more "anarchic".

Trooper13
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I've never cared for Zartan at all until RoC, and I always hated the Dreadnoks. However, I think part of that is because much like Echo stated, It never made sense to me for Zartan to hang out with them. The were clowns and were annoying at best. Kind of like Cobra's version of Bazooka..times three with annoying accents.

That being said, Vosloo completely redeemed the character for me, and I now dig IDW's take on Zartan aswell. So as someone who could never stand him, I'm open to see him reimagined. I think if in Renegades the 'noks are handled more seriously, maybe not realistically, but atleast not like a bunch of grape soda swilling, donut eating assclowns, then I could like them aswell.

General Hawk
09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Zartan has always been one of my favorite characters, all due to the way Hama handled him in the Marvel run and going forward. Zartan's portrayal in Resolute was one of the things I disliked about the cartoon. Being a mindless thug who kills just because he likes it, with money as an unnecessary bonus totally defeats the entire personality of the character.

I have faith that Renegades will treat him right. I'm not sure we'll see him doing the honorable thing, since being the leader of a biker gang isn't exactly a conduit to that, but I think if the series goes on long enough, we could see Zartan evolve in cool and different ways.

He's one of the characters I'm most looking forward to.

Justin

CobraCoffee
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Ok, to start with I hate how everybody is connected to Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in one way or another.

This

VideoViper
09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
I always pictured Zartan & the Noks as the hired guns while Cobra was still pre-cobra. At some point Cobra became Cobra & the Noks stayed what they always were.

Zartan frelanced for Cobra. While Cobra used the Noks for recruiting promising talent.

Echo7Solo
09-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Ok, well be it the comic or the toon one of the biggest obstacles that Cobra has to overcome in order to reach their goals is the fact that each key player in the organization has his or her own agenda. The Joe team is all on the same page when it comes to their mission. This is part of the appeal as a parent teaching kids that teamwork is the key to success.

So in the end there can't be a truly competent team player in Cobra in order for the Joe team to win or it will just make them look weak. Example, Destro is at his best as head of the Iron Grenadiers for the simple reason he isn't fighting Cobra Commander's ego in the process of reaching his goal. When he is with Cobra he has not only to contend with the Joe team but Cobra and his own morality. If it isn't done that way he just comes off as a high powered thug or henchman that looses due to incompetence.

I kind of see this Zartan in another way. The underachiever who surrounds himself with a rough biker gang. He stumbles onto technology that allows him to live up to his potential.

kennywr22
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I feel just like you hawk. I loved the character from the hama run. He was just cool. He was bad but in a different way.I always thought he kept the company of bikers because he like the old school way of being a badass.