PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler alert

T J Bang
09-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Ok for those who havent heard the commentary on the gi joe the movie dvd I thought I would put the spoiler alert up.

Im not sure if its well known, and I sure didnt know, that the renegades were based on real people.

Mercer = Dolph Lungren
Red Dog = Wrestler Superfly
Taurus = Wrestler Iron Sheik

I had no idea but it does explain the blonde hair on the card art for Mercer.

It would have been cool if they used the real people.

polyphenus
09-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I always thought Mercer's figure looked like Kurt Russell...

T J Bang
09-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I think 25th Mainframe looks like Kurt Russel...

zedhatch
09-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah definatly Kurt Russel, They should have just lied and said that. Of course its weird that two of them are based on wrestlers and the thrid on an actor. Especially since Red Dog shows NOTHING about him that is like Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and Tarus shows NOTHING like the Iron Sheik.

T J Bang
09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Maybe the idea was to introdure new real world people into joe but couldnt get the contracts and decided to make them like the actors but not so much they get sued

CV2.0
09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't see it.

T J Bang
09-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I didnt see it either so was suprised to hear it.

Freedom
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
I can see it. They said they were "based" of them. They changed them enough so it wasn't obvious.

What REALLY would have made it cool, would have been for Mercer to grab Falcon and say, "I must break you."

That would have been classic.

Sgt. Airborne
09-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah definatly Kurt Russel, They should have just lied and said that. Of course its weird that two of them are based on wrestlers and the thrid on an actor. Especially since Red Dog shows NOTHING about him that is like Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and Tarus shows NOTHING like the Iron Sheik.

Well, Red Dog appears to be of Hawiian decent (by looks) and had a head-band IIRC .. trademarks of JSFS.

Tarus, OTOH, was bald, with a 'stache and came IIRC with a Middle Eastern looking sword.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like they are based a la Sgt. Slaughter - which was him exactly - but I can see it.

Angry.Android
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
based on wrasslers huh? no wonder the only one i liked was Mercer...tanks for the trivia!

Mel357
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Is this for a new dvd movie?? I'm lost.

Shogi
09-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Is this for a new dvd movie?? I'm lost.

This bit of trivia is taken from the commentary on the 1987 animated movie that was just released by Shout! Factory.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, perhaps in a thread talking about the DVD, but it's a cool bit of info nonetheless